Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Lmao

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1674396645994164226?t=jR7WPFmnnOnZjqusHOoZ0Q&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

I think they like to trot this story out so much as it's the only way to make their kill counts make sense.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Steven Segal is going to run over the remaining ramparts of Adviika with a car

This tracks as it would allow him to fight while remaining seated.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I think it's time for an effort post on the Soviet Biopreparat agency. I'll type it up and post it in a bit

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

He wasn't loyal!!!!! He tried to take the throne!!

yeah, but he thought HIS dudes would back him when the time came and he made his move, and by all reports, some did. just not enough.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1674475841453957132
It appears Pence made his way to Ukraine today and met with Zelensky.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

If there's one thing GOP voters love right now, it's how we support and send money and military aid to Ukraine

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
"So where do you keep the horses?"

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Proof:

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Toxic Mental posted:

If there's one thing GOP voters love right now, it's how we support and send money and military aid to Ukraine

mike pence, known for his ability to read the room and mimic human emotion.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Russia should air drop DDT into Moscow to stop the allied mosquito thread

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1674475841453957132
It appears Pence made his way to Ukraine today and met with Zelensky.

Mother let him travel to a foreign country alone?

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Prig was back In Moscow for a negotiation as of yesterday.

Now he's gone.

Probably missing his hot dog and buns by now.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oldsmobile posted:

Probably missing his hot dog and buns by now.

I'm sure there's a donation thread on some subforum here.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Randarkman posted:

That's not really a Ukraine trend. You'll find that all over, most placenames aren't very imaginative or complicated and are thus reused a whole lot.
There are 45 "Richmond's in the US.

HonorableTB posted:

my home state has a Rome, a Cairo (pronounced kay-ro), and an Athens :v:
Hello, Illinoisian! You forgot Thebes. (My dad was a kid in the Little Egypt area.) Indiana has Vincennes and Versailles, pronounced vin-SINS and vur-SAILS.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My sister used to live in Port Arthur. And later on my mum too. It's like three or four blocks from here. (This is not an Anglophone city or country.)

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hello, Illinoisian!

could also be Georgia, Indiana, Missouri, New York, Ohio or Tennessee

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Man all the characters are coming back from Russia's last tsarist excursion

We have Steven Segal covering for Rasputin

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Man all the characters are coming back from Russia's last tsarist excursion

We have Steven Segal covering for Rasputin

Relaxputin

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

mobby_6kl posted:

Mother let him travel to a foreign country alone?

She's in his hotel room, peering through the windows. Gotta make sure there are no horses or women to lure him.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

TulliusCicero posted:

Prig is missing according to CNN

:lol:

Oh yeah trusting Poots on that deal was a great play!

Please stop implying Prig is dead. I know the news is coming fast and it's hard to ketchup but just let the man relish this well-deserved break. Soon enough he'll mustard his forces once more.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Flavahbeast posted:

could also be Georgia, Indiana, Missouri, New York, Ohio or Tennessee

We are just one classical culture, aren't we?

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1674450148229890051?s=20

ATACMS?!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

Please stop implying Prig is dead. I know the news is coming fast and it's hard to ketchup but just let the man relish this well-deserved break. Soon enough he'll mustard his forces once more.

it is my solemn duty to report the hot dog man has been cooked. i do not relish bringing you this information

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

drat it, mustard his sauces. It was right there!

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

HonorableTB posted:

it is my solemn duty to report the hot dog man has been cooked. i do not relish bringing you this information

CNN is reporting that Prig has been seen thunder running to Moscow in a hijacked Wienermobile technical. As unbelievable as this may sound, it cannot be denied that it is happening.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Whats the russian version of carmen sandiego

Somebody get started on the memes

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Effort post on Biopreparat, as mentioned.

So, there's a lot of accusations from Russia accusing the west, specifically the US, of running biolabs in Ukraine. Well, like everything the Russian government does, it's projection, because the Soviet Union operated, and the Russian Federation still operates, bioweapons labs on the territory of Russia as well as Kazakhstan.

Biopreparat - technically The All-Union Science Production Association - was formed in 1974 to spearhead the largest and most sophisticated offensive biological warfare program the world has ever seen. It employed an ostensibly civilian (but most definitely military) workforce of 30,000-40,000 personnel and included official unit attachments, R&D facilities, manufacturing plants, and production plants. Its purpose was to pursue offensive military capabilities using genetically engineered microbial strains designed to be anti-biotic resistant, as well as creating hybrids of various pathogens to create brand new strains of new and horribly lethal diseases.

Biopreparat started out in the late 1920s through the 1930s and developed the world's first tularemia vaccine, and immediately took this success and pivoted to create such bioweapons as:

- weaponized bacillus antracis (anthrax)
- weaponized yersinia pestis (black plague)
- weaponized tularemia
- weaponized brucella
- weaponized smallpox
- weaponized venezuelan equine encephalitis virus
- weaponed marburg virus
- weaponed machupo virus

Then they got really creative.

They created aerosolized hybrid weaponizations of smallpox crossed with ebola, to create airborne ebolapox that combined the infectivity of smallpox with the lethality of ebola.

The Soviets also developed anti-agricultural bioweapons designed to target livestock, such as foot-and-mouth disease and rinderpest against cattle, African swine fever against pigs, and psittacosis to kill chickens. These agents were designed to be sprayed over fields by tanks or airplanes in the event of war.

The Soviets also attempted to weaponize monkeypox to go with ebola instead of smallpox but the monkeypox virus was too reliant on close contact spread rather than airborne so it was rejected. The Soviets spun up a weaponized smallpox industrial production line in 1990 and was the final Soviet project in Biopreparat before the USSR collapsed.

Post-collapse, Biopreparat scientists supplied Saddam Hussein with several bioweapon samples for his own WMD stocks, though he considered bio warfare to be inferior to chemicals because of the ease with which he could get his own troops killed.

Biopreparat, in the 2000s, refocused on bio warfare and is currently run from the institutes of the Russian Academy of Sciences in Puschchino, Moscow.

There is honestly so much more to this, and it's so much worse, but this is enough for a single post. If you want to know more, there are some great publications out there and the really scary thing is that this is just what we know the Soviets/Russians were and are up to. The vast majority of Biopreparat projects remain state secrets and very unlikely anyone will ever know about them.

Anyway when you see Russian talking heads screeching about bioweapons, just remember this is the country that developed a medicine-resistant weaponized airborne ebolapox virus and proceed to ignore them entirely.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

These people are obsessed with pedophilia

Like holy poo poo I shudder at the sheer projection on display

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

fatherboxx posted:

M2 easily has another hundred years ahead
I'm always staggered that the B-52 is now intended still to be in service a century after its first flight. Even the very newest airframes will be 90 years old in 2052, appropriately enough.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Toxic Mental posted:

He has to establish some sort of brand distinct from Trump so this makes sense.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

One think that annoys me about Ukraine is there are like 15 of the same loving town names it makes it very difficult to know what the hell is going on sometimes.

It ain't just a Ukraine thing

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versailles_(disambiguation)

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

TulliusCicero posted:

These people are obsessed with pedophilia

Like holy poo poo I shudder at the sheer projection on display

Remember, the same party posting that recently changed marriage laws in a state so "16 year olds are legal marrying age"

It's s ALWAYS projection.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

HonorableTB posted:

Effort post on Biopreparat, as mentioned.

So, there's a lot of accusations from Russia accusing the west, specifically the US, of running biolabs in Ukraine. Well, like everything the Russian government does, it's projection, because the Soviet Union operated, and the Russian Federation still operates, bioweapons labs on the territory of Russia as well as Kazakhstan.

Biopreparat - technically The All-Union Science Production Association - was formed in 1974 to spearhead the largest and most sophisticated offensive biological warfare program the world has ever seen. It employed an ostensibly civilian (but most definitely military) workforce of 30,000-40,000 personnel and included official unit attachments, R&D facilities, manufacturing plants, and production plants. Its purpose was to pursue offensive military capabilities using genetically engineered microbial strains designed to be anti-biotic resistant, as well as creating hybrids of various pathogens to create brand new strains of new and horribly lethal diseases.

Biopreparat started out in the late 1920s through the 1930s and developed the world's first tularemia vaccine, and immediately took this success and pivoted to create such bioweapons as:

- weaponized bacillus antracis (anthrax)
- weaponized yersinia pestis (black plague)
- weaponized tularemia
- weaponized brucella
- weaponized smallpox
- weaponized venezuelan equine encephalitis virus
- weaponed marburg virus
- weaponed machupo virus

Then they got really creative.

They created aerosolized hybrid weaponizations of smallpox crossed with ebola, to create airborne ebolapox that combined the infectivity of smallpox with the lethality of ebola.

The Soviets also developed anti-agricultural bioweapons designed to target livestock, such as foot-and-mouth disease and rinderpest against cattle, African swine fever against pigs, and psittacosis to kill chickens. These agents were designed to be sprayed over fields by tanks or airplanes in the event of war.

The Soviets also attempted to weaponize monkeypox to go with ebola instead of smallpox but the monkeypox virus was too reliant on close contact spread rather than airborne so it was rejected. The Soviets spun up a weaponized smallpox industrial production line in 1990 and was the final Soviet project in Biopreparat before the USSR collapsed.

Post-collapse, Biopreparat scientists supplied Saddam Hussein with several bioweapon samples for his own WMD stocks, though he considered bio warfare to be inferior to chemicals because of the ease with which he could get his own troops killed.

Biopreparat, in the 2000s, refocused on bio warfare and is currently run from the institutes of the Russian Academy of Sciences in Puschchino, Moscow.

There is honestly so much more to this, and it's so much worse, but this is enough for a single post. If you want to know more, there are some great publications out there and the really scary thing is that this is just what we know the Soviets/Russians were and are up to. The vast majority of Biopreparat projects remain state secrets and very unlikely anyone will ever know about them.

Anyway when you see Russian talking heads screeching about bioweapons, just remember this is the country that developed a medicine-resistant weaponized airborne ebolapox virus and proceed to ignore them entirely.

Some time ago I picked up Dead Hand which went over some of this as well as the Biological Weapons Programs of the Soviet Union. They're both a decent read, but the latter is certainly dryer.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

One think that annoys me about Ukraine is there are like 15 of the same loving town names it makes it very difficult to know what the hell is going on sometimes.

I hear there was school shooting in Springfield.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

wtf is it with "an homosexual"?? Is the h silent to these people?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

wtf is it with "an homosexual"?? Is the h silent to these people?

Same level of criminality as people who say "an history" imho

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HonorableTB posted:

Yeah same. Not even getting into the time one of the GBS threads was thrown for a mollywobble for several pages because articles were posted describing events in New York and a bunch of people started arzying about russian attacks on NYC and a lot of people learned about

my home state has a Rome, a Cairo (pronounced kay-ro), and an Athens :v:

Buckeye spotted. My fav was whatever Siri voice I was using at the time calling the river in Columbus the old and tangy.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
lol here comes the HUR to amplify the internal chaos

https://kyivindependent.com/intelligence-war-between-fsb-and-russian/

quote:

The conflict between the Federal Security Service (FSB) and Russia's Defense Ministry is entering an active phase after the Wagner Group's rebellion, the Main Intelligence Directorate's (HUR) representative Andrii Cherniak told RBC Ukraine on June 29.

"According to our estimates, there is already an open war between the so-called 'towers' of the Kremlin, which will result in physical liquidation of the leaders of the competing factions," Cherniak said.

According to HUR's representative, Yevgeny Prigozhin's short-lived rebellion revealed the weakness of Russia's dictator Vladimir Putin, making Russian elites fight among each other for power.

The so-called "Pentagon leaks" from April suggested infighting between the FSB and Defense Ministry over the handling of the war against Ukraine.

Prigozhin launched an armed rebellion against the Russian government on June 23. His mercenaries occupied the city of Rostov and marched to within 200 kilometers of Moscow, only to abruptly end the insurrection less than 24 hours later, on June 24.

After an undisclosed deal between the Wagner boss and the Kremlin, Prigozhin and his contractors were reportedly allowed to go to Belarus. HUR's chief Kyrylo Budanov said that the Wagner fighters would no longer take part in hostilities in Ukraine.

According to media reports, the insurrection saw tensions flare among Russia's political and military leadership. The Moscow Times wrote on June 28 that Russian General Sergei Surovikin was detained over siding with Prigozhin.

CNN cited its sources that other figures among Russian intelligence and military cadres may have known in advance about the uprising and chose not to interfere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

tiaz posted:

good lord that is a high AoA approach :stare:

It's a delta wing with canards, high AoA is basically its thing.

tiaz posted:

:eyepop: I had never heard of this! that's really cool. I knew about the remotely powered microphone in the wall sculpture or whatever.

Coolguye posted:

that event is one of the most popular stories in cryptography and codebreaking circles because the Americans at the time were actively suspicious and were already checking out everything the soviets touched, and they still missed those keyloggers because they were just completely different from what they were thinking of when they said "signal" - the takeaway lesson being that nothing is ever 100% secure if it is in use, novel thinking may exploit a gap in your assumptions, even if it is next year or three years from now or whatever. it's a great example of how dedicated hackers operate.

The most amazing part that I feel like I need to highlight is that the bug involved no visible changes into any moving part of the system. There was a structural tube with closed ends as a part of the case, and all the electronics were stuffed in there. The only change to the moving parts was to magnetize a few protruding metallic bits on their underside, where they came close enough to the tube to be sensed from within. You could dismantle the typewriter into the component parts, as far as it possibly can be while it can still be put back together, and notice absolutely nothing different from an untampered one, except maybe that the case was a bit heavier than it was supposed to be.

Tuna-Fish fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 29, 2023