Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Man, I still need to beat DOS2 before I play BG2 but Armored Core 6 is coming out soon and Starfield right after. This whole year is shaping up to be a banger for games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I can't blame them. DOS2 is like an 80-100 hour game and me and my friends spent a year beating that (scheduling issues mostly).
It was super worth it. It's easily the best turn-based RPG combat I've ever played.

Yea I've played it solo, love it and haven't beaten it, I know it's long, but it seems so much more fun with friends.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

oh my, looks like Dark Souls are finally back on sale

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

FutureCop posted:

Not to keep banging on about it, but Satellite Reign is like that: it does have the option for stealth, but not only is going loud just as viable, stealth is way more simple and improvisational with just dodging standard patrols and cameras. Quite a different experience compared to Desperado's brand of stealth where you're untangling a mess of overlapping view cones to find the one person who isn't being watched and where being seen equals death.

I'd actually like to know of other RTS-esque squad-based stealth games as well: maybe Silent Storm or Jagged Alliance? Freedom Force? Invisible Inc? Thinking about it, I suppose RTWP RPGs like Baldurs Gate or Pillars of Eternity are also kinda similar, but that's kind of shifting a bit too far off.

Yeah, I was really worried I was gonna get bored at first, and I bet I would've if I tried to perfect stealth my way through everything as I usually do with these types of games: instead I vary my approaches up constantly and that keeps things fresh. Some of my favorite heists were ones where I just blow the door down and try and speedrun my way through the facility before reinforcements get too intense!

I can only speak to Invisible Inc., which I want to enjoy a lot more than I do. It's a great and suspenseful game at the mechanical level, but I find the campaigns go a little longer than I like. But it's highly rated for a reason, so I'm likely just an outlier here. You can't go wrong with cyberpunk Mission: Impossible.

Playing Pillars of Eternity 2 with a full stealth crew (or even on a solo stealth run) is hella fun. I never found a place it the game where it isn't viable, which says a lot about the design.

Lichtenstein posted:

Later Spellbound games were a little like that. Robin Hood: Legend of Sherwood was decent (if a lil' short and easy compared to big puzzlers), but did the more action-oriented more open take on the genre, not unlike the upcoming Shadow Gambit. They also made Chicago 1930, which I believe pushed even harder in that direction and was a janky disappointment.

While not exactly the same genre, recent Aliens: Dark Descent might actually be closer to what you're looking for than this minigenre of rube goldberg puzzles masquerading as tactics.

That Rube Goldberg comment is exactly right. Thanks for the A:DD rec; I'll add it to my wishlist.

Sab669 posted:

I thought Desperados 3 felt much more open than ST because you could go 'loud' with guns a bit more freely. Being loud in ST felt way more risky/punishing. So in that sense it felt less like a puzzle and more about choosing your style.

I think I found Cyber Knights: Flashpoint via ya'lls NextFest Demo Review effort posts, I played through the demo a little bit yesterday and it seemed pretty cool. Felt similar to those two games because you have to like cut power to security cameras and manage enemies' vision cones. Although it's probably too puzzle-y for what you're looking for; I didn't play too long because I wasn't in the mood to super focus and figure out what I Should be doing :v:

I've had CKF on my wishlist for a long time, didn't know the demo was out. Thanks, I'll take a gander.

Hwurmp posted:

you might have to look at different kinds of stealth game

Mark of the Ninja is good

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Mark of the Ninja. The gameplay is fluid as hell.

ZearothK posted:

Satellite Reign is a cyberpunk game that kinda fits the bill. You can spec your squad into stealth and approach most of the game that way, but it is less of a puzzler because when you gently caress up it just means it is time to go bring in the big guns and blow your way out.

Sounds like Satellite Reign might be what I'm looking for so I'll grab that first. ~~Thanks folks for all the recommendations~~

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

kazil posted:

oh my, looks like Dark Souls are finally back on sale

You wouldn't try to do a trick on the thread would you? You wouldn't do a fib??

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

HopperUK posted:

You wouldn't try to do a trick on the thread would you? You wouldn't do a fib??

50% off all of them

30% off Elden Ring

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

More like, Fart Souls.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Quick! What are the good games with pricing mistakes before they fix it??

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

kazil posted:

50% off all of them

30% off Elden Ring

Hooray!

I will look when it becomes possible to view my wishlist. Got my free sticker though, the most important thing.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s says up to zero percent, so some prices probably went up

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
In regards to Hunt Showdown:

Deakul posted:

I'd really like to check this game out but the PVP scares me away, how prevalent is it and can I just sorta focus on the PVE stuff?

Hmm, I had a decent bit of time playing the game solo, just trying to stealth around with my silent crossbow and getting bounties or building up cash/exp while avoiding player engagements, but the appeal didn't last long as the game is primarily meant for PVP, and I had a better time eventually when I transferred to playing it with friends and engaging players as intended. The PVE enemies like zombies and bosses are just obstacles made to promote PVP engagements: don't expect the bosses to be complex entities like something out of Monster Hunter where you can have incredible duels, as they have simple exploitable patterns.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 29, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

As the Steam sale starts, here's all whats coming to Steam in July after the sale ends:

Stadia's one big exclusive, Tequila Works' GYLT (July 6th), arrives on Steam to show that no, the power of the cloud was not required to handle an indie horror puzzle game. The Legend of Heroes: Trails into Reverie (July 7th) brings the fun cast of the Crossbell duology together with the bad and boring cast of the Cold Steel series. Will the game crash if I put Rean and Lloyd together, from the black hole of personality they'd create?? i'm kidding i'm kidding. lloyd is fine

I maintain that the original Oxenfree was really good, and so I'm looking forward to seeing how Oxenfree II: Lost Signals (July 12th) reviews. The studio is owned by Netflix now, so this being the 'second season' of sorts, I'm sure they'll be shuttered next based on Netflix's protocol. Atelier Marie Remake (July 12th) ($49.99) is where it all started (well, ignoring the Iris games) and it's brought into 2023 with a 3D chibi art style, but this is not the gentle cozy experience of the later games... I'll actually be curious to see how people used to the freedom and relaxed nature of the recent Atelier games will feel when they play this throwback.

Gravity Circuit (July 13th) I've already mentioned in a previous post. It's cool. Sorta Megamany, with a grapple hook and a look I'd describe as "HD Gameboy Color". Exoprimal (July 13th) ($59.99) is an online PvE team game that is robots vs dinos and is generally considered not as cool as a proper Dino Crisis sequel would be. I wouldn't be surprised if this was this year's Babylon Fall.

Jagged Alliance 3 (July 14th) ($44.99, $36 currently) is bold for putting an actual 3 in the title (that didn't pan out well for Sonic 4), and I've heard mixed things about it. It's from the developers of the Tropico series and Victor Vran. Next we have a bunch of games all on the same day, starting with Xenonauts 2 (July 18th), and I don't remember if the first of these X-Com throwbacks was received well or not. Maybe I'm thinking of Phoenix Point? IDK.

The big mainstream indie puzzle game this year is Viewfinder (July 18th), in which you take pictures with your camera and then replicate them in proper 3d perspective to create platforms, bridges, etc. Techtonica (July 18th) is one of those automation factory games, in first-person, although this might be more story oriented? Every time they've had a demo I've forgotten to try it and then it expired. Woops!!!

My Friendly Neighborhood (July 18th) takes the memey 'for Youtube streamers' horror genre and tries to infuse it with at least a little bit of actual game design, borrowing from classic Resident Evils with its room by room loading, puzzles and map style. You shoot evil puppets with a letter gun and then tie them down because they can't die (which of course means they get back up later on when you return to the room). I didn't enjoy it myself but it's a DreadXP joint so it's probably fine. For my cinematic horror thrills, I turn to Full Void (July 18th), a game inspired by Another World and Heart of Darkness (PS1) where you're a kid trying to survive all kinds of horrors.

Roto Force (July 18th) is a smaller indie game but it was a fun little demo that I tried in a past Next Fest... it's a shooty boss rushy game where you can rotate the stage around you and leap from floor to ceiling. So a lot of bullets and a lot of avoidance. Let's! Revolution! (July 19th) is a Minesweeper-style roguelite (if we get any more of these it might qualify as its own subgenre!) where you are trying to find the path to the king who is hiding out among the tiles, but there are also battles and traps waiting for you if you aren't deductive enough.

I'm not sure if it'll be any good but I feel like enough effort was put into DROS (July 20th) that I should give it a pity inclusion, it's got a decent look to it, seems like a mix of puzzle and combat with a character that can leave their shell body to slime around and get into certain spaces. Frank & Drake (July 20th) has a highly rotoscoped look that I think actually kinda works because it's done at 60fps (hell of an amount of work to pull off I gotta say) and is a supernatural mystery adventure... it has two protagonists that apparently can never meet (the circumstances of this seem a bit contrived but w/e) and have to collaborate to uncover secrets about their city and past.

I'll say what I said last time about Lakeburg Legacies (July 20th)... I can't parse it when I see screenshots like this. One game I can parse? Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes Definitive Edition (July 20th), the long-time Steam (and Nintendo DS) puzzle classic which has been updated to work on modern systems, re-balanced multiplayer, and all DLC.

Crime O'Clock (July 21st) won't win any awards but it seems like a cute lil' Wheres Waldo murder mystery game. Remnant II (July 25th) ($49.99) might not win any awards either, but it will certainly have its fans like the original. The game promises to have more more more than the original, and aims to have better branching out of playthroughs so each one is different.

It's them! Ratchet & Clank: A Rift Apart (July 26th) ($59.99) comes to PC and with it one of the last remaining PS5 exclusive titles (and FF16 is sure to follow). I mean look at this point the only console-only exclusives you're gonna see are from Nintendo, buying a console is really just going to come down to what subscriptions and UI experience you prefer and that's about it. Anyway, Great Ambition of the Slimes (July 26th) is a sequel to the original Ambition of the Slimes, an SRPG where you play weak pitiful slimes that have to possess other people in order to survive in battle, and one day take over the world...

Let's School (July 26th) is a school building/management game akin to something like Two Point Campus, by the developers of My Time at Portia/Sandrock (don't worry, Sandrock is nearly finished, the 1.0 update is in September). Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons (July 27th) ($29.99) aims to do for Double Dragon what Shredder's Revenge did for TMNT, and they got a decent indie brawler developer to give it a go (Secret Base, developer of Streets of Red: Devil's Dare). High price point though!

Koa & the Five Pirates of Mara (July 27th) is a 3D platformer for the younger crowd and a spinoff of Summer in Mara, by the developers of fellow 3D platformer Mail Mole. Venba (July 31st) is a cooking story game that has a great art style and has been featured in multiple E3-type events over the past couple of years, so it's nice to see it finally out.

Rise of the Triad: Ludicrous Edition (July 31st) brings Apogee's dark sheep shooter into the 21st century with typical Nightdive HD polishing as well as a brand new campaign Episode. And I guess I need one more so uhhh F1 Manager 2023?? (July 31st) is this anything? do.. do people care about this one? Get in there Lewis, etc...

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

I'm really excited to be let down by Oxenfree II

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

The 7th Guest posted:

F1 Manager 2023?? (July 31st) is this anything? do.. do people care about this one? Get in there Lewis, etc...

Last year's game was promising but leagues behind the already old Motorsport Manager. Annual release schedule is a bad sign for their future improvement -- how much can they realistically change about the game in just 11 months ('22 launched August 30)?

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 29, 2023

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The 7th Guest posted:

As the Steam sale starts, here's all whats coming to Steam in July after the sale ends:

I think (for what it’s worth) the first Xenonauts was well received, and Phoenix Point had more mixed reactions

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Stoked for Ratchet and Clank but worried it's going to be another PC port mess. From all the footage I've seen of it running on PS5 it's extremely graphically demanding, hopefully this is one of the better Sony ports like God of War or Horizon Zero Dawn after the patches. Nixxes is handling it so that gives me some hope, they did a good job with Spiderman.

Only R&C game I've played was Going Commando on the PS2, had a great time with it so I'm really hoping this one isn't a hitching mess like most AAA releases these days.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

"Please, we'll pay you $3 to inflate our numbers."

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

some decently discounted indie games from the last couple of years (note i'm just going off my wishlist and front page):

55% off Kenshi (not as recent but ppl love to talk about it)
50% off Titan Station, The Entropy Centre, Serial Cleaners, Spark the Electric Jester 3, Risk of Rain 2
40% off Wavetale, Togges, LEGO Bricktales, Lost in Play, Lumbearjack, Rise of the Third Power, Black Skylands (leaving EA soon)
35% off Rhythm Sprout, Frogun, Symphony of War, Strangeland, Cult of the Lamb, PotionCraft
30% off I Was a Teenage Exocolonist, Vengeful Guardian Moonrider, The Wreck, Asterigos, Moncage, Webbed, WH40K: Darktide, Tunic, Bear & Breakfast
For the metroidvania nerds: 50% off Blast Brigade, 33% off Lone Fungus and The Knight Witch, and 30% off HAAK, and Islets

some games under $10

Devolver Bootleg: $1.49
For Honor $2.99 (are the servers dead or something?)
Lunistice $3.99
Brotato $3.99
Batman: Arkham Knight $3.99 (lol)
Chop Goblins (small game by DUSK dev): $4.24
Ladybug Quest (basically PS1 frogger): $4.49
Dragon's Dogma $4.79
Hatchwell $4.99
MK11 $4.99
Metro Exodus $5.99
FixFox $5.99
Hoa $5.99
Marvel's Avengers $5.99 (though it's being shut down, the single player should still work fine)
Blasphemous $6.24
Roadwarden $7.36
Prey $7.49
Heart of the Woods (yuri VN) $7.49
House Flipper $7.49
Resident Evil 7 $7.99
Wild Dogs $7.99
MEATGRINDER $7.99
Prose & Codes $7.99
ElecHead $7.99
DROP: System Breach $8.49
Oxygen Not Included $8.49
Borderlands 3 $8.99
The Division 2 $8.99
Watch Dogs Legion $8.99
Assassins Creed Origins $8.99
Deep Rock Galactic $9.89
Devil May Cry V $9.89
World of Final Fantasy $9.99
RE3 Remake $9.99
Noita $9.99
Dragon Age Inquisition $9.99
Spyro Reignited Trilogy $9.99
Night in the Woods $9.99
Cruelty Squad

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 29, 2023

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Do we have a gift train ready to depart?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Deakul posted:

I'd really like to check this game out but the PVP scares me away, how prevalent is it and can I just sorta focus on the PVE stuff?

Hunt is solely a pvp game where everything that isn't direct pvp just exists to reshape the fights you get in with other teams. the objective of a match doesn't technically require killing players but you're competing over the same bounty so you usually have to. none of the rest of it is complex or interesting in the absence of other players, but it's an extremely compelling recipe altogether and it means that you never have the same fight twice. it's also an impersonal misanthropy club that makes you miserable. I have 800 hours

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Decided to finally grab Total War Warhammer III and all the American Truck Sim states I didn't already have except Texas. That'll do except a last-minute scooping up of cheap indies on the last day of the sale, as is traditional.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Throwing this in another thread: if I were gonna make my next game Chained Echoes or FFIX with the HD mod, which should I do (both games on sale)? I wanna do both and the snap judgment of a stranger is all I need to pick one or the other to do first

FFIX is apparently not officially Deck-certified but has Gold on protonDB because they just like didn't get around to rubber-stamping it

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If you buy Chained Echoes the money will go to the actual person who made the game instead of probably no one involved in FFIX's development getting anything. Both are good games though

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Ended up picking up Sekiro and Stranger of Paradise.

Little nervous about Stranger because the person that recommended it to me loved Wo Long too and I ended up refunding that after I spent a full hour getting my rear end handed to me by the very first boss. Will report back later for others like me who loved the Souls games but find the faster paced parry-or-die-you-have-four-frames stylings of these games inaccessible.

:corsair:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Countblanc posted:

If you buy Chained Echoes the money will go to the actual person who made the game instead of probably no one involved in FFIX's development getting anything. Both are good games though

works for me :tipshat:

Has anybody played Yooka-Laylee? My daughter was way into Banjo-Kazooie when I played it for her and I've heard it's a spiritual successor to that (and it's 90% off :eyepop:)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

loquacius posted:

Has anybody played Yooka-Laylee? My daughter was way into Banjo-Kazooie when I played it for her and I've heard it's a spiritual successor to that (and it's 90% off :eyepop:)

I was tremendously not a fan, I dropped it a few worlds in because they had a lot of open space with nothing in it (and then had an "optional" mechanic to make every stage bigger for more events, but it instead just added more travel time in what I saw, no new interesting gameplay). It's like if you stripped Donkey Kong 64 levels down to one Kong and didn't shrink them.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Objective Action posted:

Ended up picking up Sekiro and Stranger of Paradise.

Little nervous about Stranger because the person that recommended it to me loved Wo Long too and I ended up refunding that after I spent a full hour getting my rear end handed to me by the very first boss. Will report back later for others like me who loved the Souls games but find the faster paced parry-or-die-you-have-four-frames stylings of these games inaccessible.

:corsair:

I never got too deep into SoP but at least the early game is wayyyy easier than Nioh or Wo Long.

edit: Lol that said, let us know how you find Sekiro. It is absolutey parry-or-you-die but the timing isn't as punishing as it seems and the game mechanics are fairly straightforward, letting you devote most of your attention to the rhythm of combat

goferchan fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 29, 2023

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

The 7th Guest posted:

For Honor $2.99 (are the servers dead or something?)

For Honor is still alive and receiving major updates. I played it a lot until they messed up my favorite character with a rework a few years ago, by that point I think they were doing free weekends often and making most of their money from devoted players buying the new season content. The game is janky as gently caress but I still love it and go back occasionally, there's nothing quite like it despite all its flaws.

Also going to strongly recommend Tunic from the 30% off list, played it blind about a month ago and it ended up being one of my favorite games of the last few years. Solving the mountain door puzzle is one of the best moments in all of gaming, a buildup and payoff comparable to the best sections of Outer Wilds.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

claw game handjob posted:

I was tremendously not a fan, I dropped it a few worlds in because they had a lot of open space with nothing in it (and then had an "optional" mechanic to make every stage bigger for more events, but it instead just added more travel time in what I saw, no new interesting gameplay). It's like if you stripped Donkey Kong 64 levels down to one Kong and didn't shrink them.

Pretty much. For $4 you'll get value from the game but it's not amazing.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
i thought for honor moved to some f2p model where you get the basic boring knight guy free and pay real money to buy the rest of the characters (and a shitload of cosmetics)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I backed it then let it sit, but I am pretty sure Xenonauts 2 was making a big deal about "Finally ready to leave private betas for Early Access" and not actually launching proper in July.

Though taking a quick look, seeing their latest news blurb titled "Xenonauts 2 Release date" and the preview blurb saying 'we are finally ready to announce a release date' before you open it to read "Early access July 18" probably does not help matters.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 29, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

I didn't play that far in Yooka-Laylee but it seemed relatively similar to banjo kazooie from what I played

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair is also on sale and is much better imho. It's a different type of game, a 2d platformer, but it's solid and definitely worth $5.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

loquacius posted:

works for me :tipshat:

it isnt really a genre classic or anything but it is colorful and fun and im sure a kid would enjoy it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1674500502539870208

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

The 7th Guest posted:

GAMES AND REVIEWS

Please, The 7th Guest, I have a family

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Ragequit posted:

Please, The 7th Guest, I have a family

This. I wonder how many games goons are buying this sale due to 7th Guest (and a few others itt) amazing game summaries. The time and effort is greatly appreciated!

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I have not noticed this nifty discount feature before

So apparently Steam uses the lowest price within the last 30 days during the sale. Or even further back, as Creaks was €4,99 from Apr 24 to May 1, and €5.99 from Jun 5 to Jun 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Fart of Presto posted:

I have not noticed this nifty discount feature before

So apparently Steam uses the lowest price within the last 30 days during the sale. Or even further back, as Creaks was €4,99 from Apr 24 to May 1, and €5.99 from Jun 5 to Jun 12.

It's a new feature they added because of (IIRC) European law about discounts. Very handy!