Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I've four shrines left in the first game, and I want to obtain that awful tight tunic before dropping the game for good. How much of a pain in the arse is it to get the two dragon scales?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I feel like I've been running across the dragons pretty frequently just in teleporting around to the various towers, I have quite a few dragon bits that I never do anything with.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

i know I've already gotten the sequel, but is there anything as onboxious as those dreadful gyro puzzles?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

i know I've already gotten the sequel, but is there anything as onboxious as those dreadful gyro puzzles?

Nope.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I've four shrines left in the first game, and I want to obtain that awful tight tunic before dropping the game for good. How much of a pain in the arse is it to get the two dragon scales?

Not much if you know their paths - once you spot one they're persistent, so you can just teleport to a convenient sky shrine and jump. Once you're on them just hit them with something and pick up a scale, then wait for 10 mins and repeat.

Ed: hang on you meant BotW. Don't try and land on those dragons. But they have specific times/places they show up flying low so bullet time and zoom bows do the job nicely.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Not much of a pain just look up their flight paths. They're always around.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

why don't you go find out

you'll be fine I promise

Sorry I worded that poorly- more like I don't want to advance the story towards the end too quickly- I've barely done any of the side quests and don't want to trip an event that starts pushing me towards endgame yet.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

In the first game there are certain spots where you can just use a campfire to set the time of day, and the dragons will spawn in front of you.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Sorry I worded that poorly- more like I don't want to advance the story towards the end too quickly- I've barely done any of the side quests and don't want to trip an event that starts pushing me towards endgame yet.

If you have to ask yourself 'is this a point of no return?' the answer is no. You're fine

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Giggy posted:

The shield is underneath Hyrule castle but on the surface, not the depths. You go in through the harbor entrance. I'f you're facing the castle from lookout landing the entrance is around the back. There's a torch puzzle for the shield chest to appear.

I don't think it really needs to be spoiled but I guess better safe than sorry. It's easy to get even in the beginning.

I believe the soldier armor is underneath lookout landing.

Yeah I found the soldier armor, I just figured the Hylian Shield was there too. I forgot about the spoilered location entirely, I feel silly now.

Actually, speaking of feeling like an idiot, I also still seem to be missing a side quest in Korok Forest. I've done the three shrine quests, the whirlpool picture quest, and the scavenger hunt quest but the one korok keeps saying that someone needs help even though no one else has a quest flag. What am I missing?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

If you have to ask yourself 'is this a point of no return?' the answer is no. You're fine

Groovy- thank you. After mapping more of the underground I'll head back there

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Just go at whatever pace ya feel. There's gonna be another semi-major quest after the castle section but it would probably be good to do some side quests before just to scatter them out.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is there a royal guard headpiece?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Maybe

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

If I could go back in time and change one thing about how I played, I would've beelined the main temples a lot earlier to have more of my toys to play with for the sidequesting phase.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Also, and I can’t stress this enough, go straight to Lookout Landing after hitting the surface and do the main quests there. BotW had me in the mindset that the big quest I got after leaving tutorial land was the ultimate final quest, so should go exploring for other stuff. Not having the paraglider for a weirdly long time is what got me to finally glance at a website to see if they for some reason took that out of the game. And then I felt silly.

Turns out the quests there quickly unlock some of the most important basic tools.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Khanstant posted:

If I could go back in time and change one thing about how I played, I would've beelined the main temples a lot earlier to have more of my toys to play with for the sidequesting phase.

That and finally getting the 2 fan bike are the reasons I'm only now really going around the underground and am wanting to do more side quests. Hell I made a B-Line for the peak of Death Mountain and ignored almost all of the caves on the sides when I did the main Goron quest.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Manoueverable posted:

Yeah I found the soldier armor, I just figured the Hylian Shield was there too. I forgot about the spoilered location entirely, I feel silly now.

Actually, speaking of feeling like an idiot, I also still seem to be missing a side quest in Korok Forest. I've done the three shrine quests, the whirlpool picture quest, and the scavenger hunt quest but the one korok keeps saying that someone needs help even though no one else has a quest flag. What am I missing?

Try ascending from inside the Deku tree

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

HPanda posted:

Also, and I can’t stress this enough, go straight to Lookout Landing after hitting the surface and do the main quests there. BotW had me in the mindset that the big quest I got after leaving tutorial land was the ultimate final quest, so should go exploring for other stuff. Not having the paraglider for a weirdly long time is what got me to finally glance at a website to see if they for some reason took that out of the game. And then I felt silly.

Turns out the quests there quickly unlock some of the most important basic tools.

I had the same thing happen lmao. I spent half an hour trying to do the shrine without the glider where you launch a ball and yourself over a large gap. It's the only time I had to look up a shrine, felt pretty dumb.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

That and finally getting the 2 fan bike are the reasons I'm only now really going around the underground and am wanting to do more side quests. Hell I made a B-Line for the peak of Death Mountain and ignored almost all of the caves on the sides when I did the main Goron quest.

The hover bike is great for the depths but I'm not sure using it early on the surface is a good idea. You end up skipping a lot of good poo poo.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/yukino_san_14/status/1674430212443111425?s=46&t=Kzmv5HsyFqNWsBcA-dIRLA

Show and tell dad at the Hateno school

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

HPanda posted:

Yeah definitely. Right after getting off tutorial island I talked to someone or maybe read a sign that mentioned weird poo poo happening at Kakariko Village. So I decided to try and make my way over there. It's a sandbox, go do whatever you want! Turns out the game sucks rear end without having extremely basic conveniences like the glider and a home base and the sky towers active to reveal the map. I started having a lot more fun once I got through the Lookout Landing quests. It's really an extension of the tutorial phase and that was not at all clear to me.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Docjowles posted:

Yeah definitely. Right after getting off tutorial island I talked to someone or maybe read a sign that mentioned weird poo poo happening at Kakariko Village. So I decided to try and make my way over there. It's a sandbox, go do whatever you want! Turns out the game sucks rear end without having extremely basic conveniences like the glider and a home base and the sky towers active to reveal the map. I started having a lot more fun once I got through the Lookout Landing quests. It's really an extension of the tutorial phase and that was not at all clear to me.

Literally the first thing I noticed during the skydive off the tutorial island was a new town and I thought "oh poo poo that's new, let's go check that out"

I don't think you really paid attention

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Giggy posted:

The hover bike is great for the depths but I'm not sure using it early on the surface is a good idea. You end up skipping a lot of good poo poo.

Eh. I also saw a lot of poo poo from the air that I wouldn't have noticed on the ground.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Giggy posted:

I had the same thing happen lmao. I spent half an hour trying to do the shrine without the glider where you launch a ball and yourself over a large gap. It's the only time I had to look up a shrine, felt pretty dumb.

Yeah, I didn't try it for that long, but that was the one where I specifically thought oh yeah...I'm probably meant to have the paraglider by now and went back to find it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Giggy posted:

Yeah on the surface I've only been using it for getting to certain heights more than anything else.

bee burger
Nov 4, 2011
After playing for about 3h without the paraglider, the contrarian part of my brain activated and I did the rest of the game without it. I made a variety of special vehicles to get into chasms.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Literally the first thing I noticed during the skydive off the tutorial island was a new town and I thought "oh poo poo that's new, let's go check that out"

I assume people saw the new town and went in another direction anyway because that was encouraged in BOTW and they kept that mentality here.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Giggy posted:

I assume people saw the new town and went in another direction anyway because that was encouraged in BOTW and they kept that mentality here.
I just cant imagine not doing towers first thing (which leads to glider in this case). The way I played this game as well as BotW is all towers first.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7248453959516491026

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

No Wave posted:

I just cant imagine not doing towers first thing (which leads to glider in this case). The way I played this game as well as BotW is all towers first.

I go for the towers but I also explore along the way and prioritize nearby shrines. I was going to get to lookout landing sooner than later.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I haven't touched or thought about BotW in like 5 years so I just plain didn't remember the towers were a thing or what they did

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I guess whether you fly around or hoof it, the game ends up balancing out because you have to switch transportation modes to find the stuff you missed

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

No Wave posted:

I saw the monster-fort looking structure located by flying, ominous, calamity-stricken Hyrule Castle and said "not gonna trick me twice, I know not to get too close to this area" and went to Kakariko instead, since the towers still look sheikha-related. I ended up at the shrine on the floating island you reach by climbing a root (right near kakariko/the nearby tower) before realizing that this was the third shrine I've gotten to that obviously needed the paraglider, and i couldnt do anything with towers. I looked up where it was in case i was heading the wrong way, since the game seemed to expect me to do a lot of shrine fast traveling OR I had already missed it

It makes sense from a design perspective, they put a centralized hub right next to the beginning and end goal of the game so you can branch out from that hub, but the first thing I did in BOTW was hit the coliseum next to the plateau, get too close to Hyrule Castle, die to Guardians a few times around the sacred grounds, then wander off around the perimeter of hyrule field looking for shrines until making it to Kakariko. This time I just skipped the part where I got too close to Hyrule Castle and went straight to the first town somebody mentioned, wondering to myself when I would get the glider since you'd normally already have it at that point

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I assumed that, like BOTW, the tutorial would end with me getting the paraglider so I kept following the quests until I got it

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/bran8bit/status/1674424984561745920

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Totk is now bubble frog and korok hunter to me. I need the rest of the mystic set and more slots for multi shot bows.

I was doing that cave shrine quest where you have to help a man with his kid? Zora friend find a shrine and I found a 55 str royal shield and had to fuse it for breaking it apart later when I get more slots.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

sonatinas posted:

a man with his kid? Zora friend

God, I forgot about that bit in BotW until I went into that cave and there they were again. Why, Nintendo :ohno:

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I thought the joke was supposed to be that because Zora age more slowly than humans, they were actually childhood friends at one point, which would still be a bit weird but make some sense. And just now I looked it up and it wasn't that

gently caress this I'm not thinking about it any more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Spanish Manlove posted:

The big problem is the Auto-Build that should really be given to you from the outset, but its locked behind a specific quest line players might not take. I played for several hours without it because when I went down to the depths for the first time I decided to save exploring that for later because I wanted to map out the overworld first. I did watch BOTW showed me I could, but to the detriment of TOTK.

I totally screwed myself in doing so and there's no way to know I did and made the game worse for me.