Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Another stripboard project done: The MS-20 LP/HP filter from LOOKMUMNOCOMPUTER, stuck behind another Atomic Ray Creations panel. I call it SQUAMOUS. It's a bit janky but it screams and squeals like an MS-20 should. :D

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

RocketMermaid posted:

Another stripboard project done: The MS-20 LP/HP filter from LOOKMUMNOCOMPUTER, stuck behind another Atomic Ray Creations panel. I call it SQUAMOUS. It's a bit janky but it screams and squeals like an MS-20 should. :D

That's sick. I'm in the middle of building an ms20 envelope filter in a stomp box.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

RocketMermaid posted:

Squamous? Does it have Ligma?

JK now I need to look up what that filter is like to build.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

petit choux posted:

Squamous? Does it have Ligma?

JK now I need to look up what that filter is like to build.

It's all right here: https://www.lookmumnocomputer.com/simple-filter

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I finished up a couple new pedals, with enclosures painted by my sister in law. The red and black tremolo is for her boyfriend and the other is a Dod 280 compressor clone "squishy octopus"

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I think I might have a headache coming in the mail. This is a '70's Founder P-Bass copy.

The extent of the cracking wasn't clear from the Yahoo! photos, but Blackship confirmed its all the way round the body.

I suspect that it'll be the veneer lifting off the top of the body and the bridge is currently holding it on. In which case, it might just be glue time.

Has anyone seen a video or had experience with repairing something like this? I've had a Google but most results are for smaller chips and cracks.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Wood glue and lots of clamps I'm guessing

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Armacham posted:

Yup, looks save-able

What do people do for things like this nowadays? I'd think Bondo or something similar.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 5, 2023

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Armacham posted:

petit choux posted:

Yup, looks save-able

What do people do for things like this nowadays? I'd think Bondo or something similar.

Titebond seems to be the wood glue of choice from what I've read and watched.

Looking at the photos, I may be able to save the paint job too.

Which would be nice.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Yeah I would use a syringe to squirt it deep in there. It should be just as strong as it was considering how solid body guitars are built anyway.

Post from bass thread

Armacham posted:

I did a thing on my Bass VI. I also rewired the strangle switch as a series/parallel toggle.

Armacham fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 5, 2023

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Armacham posted:

Post from bass thread

Oh hey fellow Bass VI modder. Here's where mine is at after a year+ of messing with it, though this is outdated now because I removed the volume and tone knobs entirely a week or so ago:

https://i.imgur.com/aopcsvL.jpg

Gallery: https://imgur.com/a/zqWW5Nw

It used to have a stacked pot with tone and a passive bass rolloff knob like a Reverend, but I didn't ever really use it so now it's straight to the output jack. The 4th switch is a coil split for the Hot Rails. Stacked dimarzio humbucker in the neck and a Porter S90 ceramic pickup in the middle, RWRP with the coil that the hot rails splits to for noise canceling.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

internet celebrity posted:

Oh hey fellow Bass VI modder. Here's where mine is at after a year+ of messing with it, though this is outdated now because I removed the volume and tone knobs entirely a week or so ago:

https://i.imgur.com/aopcsvL.jpg

Gallery: https://imgur.com/a/zqWW5Nw

It used to have a stacked pot with tone and a passive bass rolloff knob like a Reverend, but I didn't ever really use it so now it's straight to the output jack. The 4th switch is a coil split for the Hot Rails. Stacked dimarzio humbucker in the neck and a Porter S90 ceramic pickup in the middle, RWRP with the coil that the hot rails splits to for noise canceling.

Very cool. Was your stock nut also cut by someone at 5 pm before a holiday? Mine was so bad the low E string popped off the fret board if I tried to bend above the fifth fret. Once I replaced the nut, shimmed the neck, and added a stay trem bridge it's a very nice player.

I'm also going back and forth on switching the trem for a hard tail conversion.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Armacham posted:

Very cool. Was your stock nut also cut by someone at 5 pm before a holiday? Mine was so bad the low E string popped off the fret board if I tried to bend above the fifth fret. Once I replaced the nut, shimmed the neck, and added a stay trem bridge it's a very nice player.

I'm also going back and forth on switching the trem for a hard tail conversion.

Stock nut was actually pretty good, the major issue with mine when I got it was the stock saddles were the wrong width causing the high E to be nearly off the fretboard above the 14th fret. I think the VM series had wider string spacing and therefore wider saddles and whoever was putting the CV series together didn't get the memo. Also it didn't intonate in E standard, but I think everyone has that issue.

I've gone back and forth a few times on the trem and ultimately landed on it being too much hassle for what I'm doing with it. I'm also kind of nitpicky when it comes to tuning stability (especially on a lower tuned instrument) so I haven't had it on in a long time.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I also just did this

What can I say, I like lace sensor pickups

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

My delaminating bass came today. Handily, I have COVID so I had some free time to pry off the veneer and re-glue it:

The fret board is coming unglued too, so I'll do something similar with that:

Oh look, the previous owner tried some DIY to fix that problem. Must have missed the YouTube video about nailing your fretboard securely:

Valency
Feb 3, 2010

HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT

Elissimpark posted:

Oh look, the previous owner tried some DIY to fix that problem. Must have missed the YouTube video about nailing your fretboard securely:

:negative:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

About half an hours work with a furniture scraper, a chisel, some pliers and a saw and those nails can eat my rear end.

Not pictured: my wife's grimaces at the loud cracks as the nails came free and the glue separated.

The bass is a Founder P bass for those interested:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Built myself a quad lowpass gate for that good ol' Buchla sound. It works great and it's the first time I've designed my own board from a circuit diagram rather than going from somebody else's stripboard layout!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Dope. I've had that on my bench for a couple months, now, waiting for more than a day off at a time. One of my favorite sounds in synthesis

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
In which I saw my big blue balls in half.

upd: the hacksaw was a bad choice, the blade wiggles about like crazy and the cut isn't nearly clean enough for what I'm trying to do. Back to the drawing board :saddowns:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1XA1j-6etZU

snorch fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 28, 2023

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Day 22. I believe I have mmm tapped into something more primordial. I feel I must continue.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
The first print had some issues, most of all the surface the ball mounts on was too thick to let enough vibration through to the piezo mounted on the back. After making some tweaks it just barely fits, and works really well. I now have my own poor man's version of Roland's KD-7 kick trigger!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

snorch posted:

The first print had some issues, most of all the surface the ball mounts on was too thick to let enough vibration through to the piezo mounted on the back. After making some tweaks it just barely fits, and works really well. I now have my own poor man's version of Roland's KD-7 kick trigger!

This is really cool.

Snorch, I probated myself for a month so I could stop posting in the Trup thread but I couldn't help coming back to the forum and I so wanted to reply to this after being away. This is a problem I've played around with a lot, and I've come up with some really excellent solutions. Let me show you, I think these are a couple of the better little gadgets I've come up with.

These are made from solid blocks of polyurethane, and IMO outperform the Roland, which I kinda consider the best ready-made, short of ones that put sensors on acoustic drum hardware. I've purchased piezos on ebay, they really work, and have a little more bounce than the Rolands, which are just kind of inert (those are the Roland beaters) I had to learn all about hardness ratings and stuff for plastics, this is somewhere around the ideal hardness. You want about the same feel as a plastic eraser. Oh, and you can use a double bass drum pedal and just one of these. It just barely fits.

But then I started thinking about the physical characteristics of a real bass drum and how I could emulate those, and came up with a really simple, exciting solution. This may not be the best representation of it but you can see the simple idea at work here. And I think it's such a good idea that somebody should or could take it and run with it. You can get phenomenal response out of this thing. Basically the square box is a wee snug for the ball, and when you air it up, it really can't escape, it can only make your beater bounce off it, depending on how much pressure you put to it. And if you tape piezos to it in different locations you can begin to get sound layering.

And both of these that I've shown you I wanted to see if I could do any of the fancy stuff you see guys doing with kick drums nowadays, so I tried teaching myself to do a like 16th note roll with it on my computer, and it appeared to work. Now the latency and so forth, those things need to be ironed out and I'm not sure how far you can really go with it, but if you use two of these, you can get REALLY good response, IMO. As you can see, I'm using an Alesis MIDI brain in this.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 10, 2023

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

And in other news, I discovered this guy while I was away. I know it's cheating but I'm n to going to build my own circuit for this yet, despite the fact some of you have thoughtfully provided me some instruction about how to do just that.

https://www.tindie.com/products/ruccielectronics/clock-trigger-audio-to-5v-pulse-converter/

I don't know if anybody remembers but I was building a crude mechanical sequencer from wheelchair or bike wheels, and I was wanting to be able to sync the synths to my wheels. I'm hoping to use a piezo to bridge this gap this week. I still appreciate your instructions, and I may well go back to them soon, as well. But this is my right now solution, and besides, you can do a bit more with it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4qMfc_q7Ks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTuKrquDy3w

So at least for RN I'm going to be fastening a piezo to my jank machine and probably try sticking push pins in the solid rubber tires and do it that way. Cheers.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
The soccer ball is a cool idea and makes perfect sense. The feel of mine could definitely still be more bouncy, the lacrosse balls squish much better than a practice pad but still don’t feel quite soft enough.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

snorch posted:

The soccer ball is a cool idea and makes perfect sense. The feel of mine could definitely still be more bouncy, the lacrosse balls squish much better than a practice pad but still don’t feel quite soft enough.

Well you could also make one using a smaller ball, if that's any help. But yeah, it's great. I'll have to try those again just to show you sometime soon. And if you have enough pressure, you can play real light with the pedal and get great response.

I put a lot of thought into drum pedals at one point, I never shared my idea before but why not. Like I said, I ain't even making it to Hollywood at this rate, so I'd love to see this idea proliferate even if I don't get rich and famous from it. But I feel like those two designs I just showed you almost warrant it.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

snorch posted:

Oh, they also make these little inflatable half ball things for some exercise gadget, you can probably try something along those lines. Hell, I'm sure there are plenty of ways of making that work.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
After proving the concept on the kick trigger, this is my new obsession:

I’m trying to build a tiny kit that’s good enough to play/practice on, and ideally can serve as the brain for a bigger kit. The biggest problem will be isolating the pads from each other but I’ve got some ideas involving felt padding and some light DSP.

The current iteration of the case is a piece of junk that I printed way too fast and is falling apart, but it’s been good to at least test the layout and make sure there’s enough space inside for the guts it needs.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

snorch posted:

After proving the concept on the kick trigger, this is my new obsession:

I’m trying to build a tiny kit that’s good enough to play/practice on, and ideally can serve as the brain for a bigger kit. The biggest problem will be isolating the pads from each other but I’ve got some ideas involving felt padding and some light DSP.

The current iteration of the case is a piece of junk that I printed way too fast and is falling apart, but it’s been good to at least test the layout and make sure there’s enough space inside for the guts it needs.

So you're saying you are designing the brain as well as the hardware? That is awesome.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

This is only adjacent but I made a nixie tube clock!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Nice!

I've got to quit doing this but I'm buying yet another piece of decommissioned lab gear. These are effectively just analog sound modules.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I love the old analog generators like that. You can just sweep em manually instead of programming a sequence

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

TotalLossBrain posted:

I love the old analog generators like that. You can just sweep em manually instead of programming a sequence

True, but I've gotten both my SQ-64 and K-2 to play nice with them somewhat. So you can sequence them, and now that I've added a couple more, I'm going to try modulating one with another. Now exactly how musical that will be is kinda up to the user. But yeah, it's been a lot of fun exploring the possibilities with these guys. And yes, some of these analog ones are also incredibly cool just to open up and see what's going on inside too. And also, they keep the room warm in the winter.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Finally finished my first tube amp!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Nice work!

I have the same amp on my bench right now. My son built it, it's worked for a while, and now something is wrong. I should look at that.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

Nice work!

I have the same amp on my bench right now. My son built it, it's worked for a while, and now something is wrong. I should look at that.
Thank you!

Yeah probably a loose solder joint, huh? I had it almost finished for a while but it wasn't working. Finally looked at it again and two wires had popped loose and a resistor was soldered to an incorrect terminal.

There's a little more noise than I'd like and I'd like to try to track that down next. I'm guessing that if I reflow a lot of the joints and maybe be a little better about wire length and routing I can improve it a bit. I've only tested it on my p90 guitar tho, so we'll see how it sounds with humbuckers. What was your experience with the noise level on that one?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It wasn't super quiet when it worked. My Blues Jr is better in that regard unless you really crank it.

But it wasn't bad enough to be a distraction.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

It wasn't super quiet when it worked. My Blues Jr is better in that regard unless you really crank it.

But it wasn't bad enough to be a distraction.

Dope, I don't want to go chasing too many diminishing returns. I'll check it with my other guitars and speakers and I think I may go through with a wooden chopstick and tap around some spots just to make sure.

Definitely a fun project. Don't do it to save money though lol. My other amp is a monoprice 15 w and that thing is amazing for the $200 it cost.

Edit: I actually finished screwing it back together completely and it's actually super quiet with humbuckers

Armacham fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 12, 2023

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Has anyone stripped and cleaned those Fender style open bass tuners? What did you use to relubricate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

Has anyone stripped and cleaned those Fender style open bass tuners? What did you use to relubricate?

#10 machine oil, or sewing machine oil, 3in1oil, anything like that should be good.

Beeswax for metal on wood contact.