Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

I'm pretty sure there are international standards on window safety. In fact, I've seen some, in my job as a window certifier. It doesn't cost that much to implement, Russia. You could save so many of your citizens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

Charliegrs posted:

It's not so it's a dumb comparison.

Also that article says the US is "considering" sending ATACMS to Ukraine. So I guess that's some progress from it being off the table but I still don't understand what the hangup is. Especially if Ukraine promises not to shoot them over the border into Russia.

Yeah, I’d suggest that if anything, the UK providing Storm Shadow and Ukraine using it in a “responsible” way has more to do with the US warming up to providing ATACMS than anything else. Plus a general desire to see the counter-offensive see some success.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

OddObserver posted:

So instead they have Ukrainians artillery ineffectually hitting random villages in Belgorod, and Russian missiles repeatedly hitting apartment complexes in Kharkiv.

Anyway:
https://twitter.com/revishvilig/status/1674476563188817927

I wouldn't get near a helicopter if I was that dude right now

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Not sure how someone becomes a banking SVP at the ripe old age of 28. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of someone below 45 to ascend such a position.

Was she from a wealthy, powerful or well connected family?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Feels like the daily mail wrote an article about this to have an excuse to post pictures of this (now very dead) scantily clad banker.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jesus III posted:

I'm pretty sure there are international standards on window safety. In fact, I've seen some, in my job as a window certifier. It doesn't cost that much to implement, Russia. You could save so many of your citizens

She fell from a balcony, though. Debalconation?

Incidentally last week I read about two people falling to death from tall buildings the same day in two separate cities in eastern Finland (Joensuu and Mikkeli). These places have plenty of Russian people due to proximity to border, so of course despite police saying there is no suspicion of crime (more likely construction workers or just anything), I'm just absolutely :tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil: because it's not a common occurence except in winter when people might clear roofs of snow load.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

Not sure how someone becomes a banking SVP at the ripe old age of 28. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of someone below 45 to ascend such a position.

Obviously, because the early ascenders descend at 28.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

It's Russia. What do you think?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

. They then sell that data to you for a frankly startling amount of money per month, so you can track your fleet of tramp bulkers or whatever.

It’s a startling amount of money because of what one can with it. With the right knowledge (background in draft surveys) from vessel tracks you know commodity import and export quantities before that information is public for specific companies or entire countries. With a little bit more knowledge (industrial systems design) you can do things like estimate production for things like blast furnace steel plants based to the flow of raw materials in.

Also governments are miles and miles ahead of the public AIS services. The USCG vessel tracking stuff I see at harbor safety meetings is truly impressive. I’m basing my assumption about what the military can do based on what I’ve seen the CG do.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

People say it is a body double (that Prigozhin loves to use not even for safety but for trolling) because the real one doesn't have part of his ring finger

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Sounds like that body double isn't taking his job very seriously if you ask me.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
What happened to method body doubling, I ask you?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I'm not sure how anyone could say who it was given how little you can see it their face.

Do we know why people suspect it could be him?

*Edit* apparently his bodyguard is there

Chalks fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 29, 2023

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023
But what if Russia aren't the bad guys? I'm just asking questions...
Does everyone (you can use Americans as a proxy) have a responsibility to have an informed opinion on foreign conflicts/war?

If yes, then how does the current Azerbaijan/Armenia conflict fit?

If not, what's the threshold for needing an opinion? Scale? GDP? Media coverage?

This leads into - If someone is broadly for peace, with some exceptions (many Americans), is it ethical for them to choose to not be informed about Ukraine and be in favor of an unjust peace?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

People say it is a body double (that Prigozhin loves to use not even for safety but for trolling) because the real one doesn't have part of his ring finger

This is a low effort disinformation attempt, the photo is just mirrored as is evidenced by the cyrillic writing on the helicopter.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I think you can be uninformed as long as you're not then claiming to be in favor of something specific.

Azerbaijan/Armenia is a huge mess, like most conflicts. It's kinda rare to have a really clear situation as you have in Ukraine.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

BillsPhoenix posted:

Does everyone (you can use Americans as a proxy) have a responsibility to have an informed opinion on foreign conflicts/war?

If not, what's the threshold for needing an opinion? Scale? GDP? Media coverage?

This leads into - If someone is broadly for peace, with some exceptions (many Americans), is it ethical for them to choose to not be informed about Ukraine and be in favor of an unjust peace?

Magnificent 4th post, BillsPhoenix! I hope you enjoy your stay in the forums :tipshat:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Nenonen posted:

This is a low effort disinformation attempt, the photo is just mirrored as is evidenced by the cyrillic writing on the helicopter.

But in your version the numbers are backwards.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

They're encoded for privacy :ssh:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Also governments are miles and miles ahead of the public AIS services. The USCG vessel tracking stuff I see at harbor safety meetings is truly impressive. I’m basing my assumption about what the military can do based on what I’ve seen the CG do.

I'd love to hear more about what the coast guard can do. Do you have anything I can read?

I assume a lot of it is radar-based. They once called up a sailboat running AIS near me and asked if there were a lot of boats circling near me. The sailboat replied yes, the coast guard was seeing a regatta on their radar. CG seemed annoyed they hadn't been informed ahead of time.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Иепопеп is joking

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Searching for the writing (tail number? Idk) on the helicopter gives me this page showing it’s a real helicopter, not mirrored.

https://onespotter.com/photo/RA-06226/nzCErj.html

E: I missed the joke

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

I'd love to hear more about what the coast guard can do. Do you have anything I can read?

I assume a lot of it is radar-based. They once called up a sailboat running AIS near me and asked if there were a lot of boats circling near me. The sailboat replied yes, the coast guard was seeing a regatta on their radar. CG seemed annoyed they hadn't been informed ahead of time.

I feel like that's kind of a different thing though. I worked with a product that correlated SAR imagery and AIS tracks, and even that could be hard to make sense of on bad days.

I would imagine if you mix in people who deliberately don't want to be found or are actively trying to mislead and you have more issues.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

They have many systems that feed in. The capability that has impressed me is that they can spot relatively small oil spots on the surface at sea well away from shore and then rewind everything to determine the vessel.

Start going to harbor safety meetings just about anywhere usually they are public and you will get see in detail the data they can collect.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

WarpedLichen posted:

I feel like that's kind of a different thing though. I worked with a product that correlated SAR imagery and AIS tracks, and even that could be hard to make sense of on bad days.

I would imagine if you mix in people who deliberately don't want to be found or are actively trying to mislead and you have more issues.

My father worked on the stuff that would completely blow past clouds and any attempt at camouflage. I wish he was around so I could ask about this. (Yes, their biggest client was the DoD, but it was occasionally used by NASA and the USDA. He worked on the theory side of things.)

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

We were at "reading license plate numbers in the Kremlin parking lot" levels of satellite imagery decades ago, I can't even imagine what a modern spy sat can do.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Bar Ran Dun posted:

They have many systems that feed in. The capability that has impressed me is that they can spot relatively small oil spots on the surface at sea well away from shore and then rewind everything to determine the vessel.

Start going to harbor safety meetings just about anywhere usually they are public and you will get see in detail the data they can collect.

I guess the Coast Guard has a lot of interest in finding the whereabouts of small boats that got into trouble (and the military probably has lots of interest in knowing the whereabouts of warships).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

We were at "reading license plate numbers in the Kremlin parking lot" levels of satellite imagery decades ago, I can't even imagine what a modern spy sat can do.

otoh Black Sea is a lot bigger than a parking lot or even the city of Moscow. I don't think the highest definition spy satellites can just 24/7 record every square meter of the globe, they need to be directed at a very specific area (and sometimes it's cloudy even in Moscow, making license plate checking difficult).

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Not sure if you can get access to this review paper, but this is the sort of thing they're doing: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11042-022-13235-x

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

OddObserver posted:

I guess the Coast Guard has a lot of interest in finding the whereabouts of small boats that got into trouble (and the military probably has lots of interest in knowing the whereabouts of warships).

Also see case Titan, where US anti-submarine microphones caught an anomaly at the time contact to the billioneer death tube was lost.

Btw. yesterday/today there was also an incident in the Baltic Sea where a child had fallen off a cruise ship and her mother jumped to follow her. The story had a (hopefully) happy ending and they are both now hospitalized, but curiously one of the responders to the search was US Coast Guard.

There was supposed to be a NATO naval exercise (the location is near Sweden's main naval base Karlskrona), but instead everyone in the area was called to rescue.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

uXs posted:

This "don't shoot into Russia" argument is just dumb. How exactly are they supposed to drive them out of Ukraine if they can't shoot anything positioned over the border?

Ask the North Vietnamese how they did it, maybe.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

OddObserver posted:

They are the competent authority and the regulatory body for SOLAS related laws. So they track all vessels.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
Does anyone know of a place tracking visually confirmed losses over timeframes? I just want to look at the last week or two. Basically I want to see if the reported artillery numbers reported by Ukraine are matching up at all. The general sense I'm getting is that Russian defense is getting stressed and beginning to falter. They seem to be struggling with counter battery fights, basically anywhere they aren't sitting behind massive minefields with air support.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

LochNessMonster posted:

I don't know how it is in Russia but at least in North America it's not uncommon for banks to just give Vice President titles out like candy, I think because there's a bunch of regulations that say "XYZ must be overseen and signed off by a vice president or higher". So just make everyone a VP problem solved.

Like I've got a friend at a major Canadian bank whose title is technically Vice President. They have like, one, maybe two direct reports and when they get promoted the next level above Vice President is like, assistant director lol.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I don't know how it is in Russia but at least in North America it's not uncommon for banks to just give Vice President titles out like candy, I think because there's a bunch of regulations that say "XYZ must be overseen and signed off by a vice president or higher". So just make everyone a VP problem solved.

Like I've got a friend at a major Canadian bank whose title is technically Vice President. They have like, one, maybe two direct reports and when they get promoted the next level above Vice President is like, assistant director lol.

Generally in most businesses you are given the title “Vice President” if you have the ability to make business decisions and/or spend money. It’s basically the bottom of the C-Suite titles though. Executive Vice Presidents are people with actual importance and power.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Bashez posted:

Does anyone know of a place tracking visually confirmed losses over timeframes?

I think there is a basic misunderstanding here in that the time when some loss is visually confirmed does not necessarily (or even usually) correspond with when it was lost. So even if such a site existed, it would not really tell you much...

(UNLESS there was another site tracking temporally confirmed losses where they used methods such as radiocarbon dating to tell when the tankers were brewed.)

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
Some people had made graphs and you could see trends like certain offensives or whatever you want to call Vuhledar. I don't expect extreme accuracy but I think it could be informative to overall attrition rates.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Safety Dance posted:

The frigate Admiral Essen can move at 30 kn, so if you lose track of it one evening and the next day is overcast, it's had 36 hours to move without you knowing. It could sail from Sochi to Odessa, turn around, and sail back in that period of time. There are vessel detection products out there that sift through satellite photographs and use ML models to identify all ship-shaped objects, but for an area the size of the Black Sea, that would be expensive at market prices. At $LASTJOB we had a few calls with them about doing port congestion monitoring using satellite imagery, but we decided that would be too expensive and could already be approximated with AIS.

Mind you, I don't think it's usually pretty vital for the Ukrainians to know where any given Russian ship is at every moment, given that the Russians haven't much ability to really threaten Ukraine with them. They'd only want to know where those ships are in order to try and hit them, and if you're going to do that you have the option of sitting back and waiting until conditions are just right for you to go for them.

BillsPhoenix posted:

What a deeply strange question. Why are you asking, and what are you planning to do with the answer? Are you trying to determine what your own ethical viewpoint should be? Are you picking up ammo for a debate with someone else somewhere? Do you just want to see a robust debate over the ethics of educating oneself? In most of these cases but especially the last one, I'd suggest that the "Ukraine current events" thread maybe isn't the best place for this - possibly spin this off into its other thread or something if you really want a cut and thrust about ethical knowledge.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Tomn posted:

Mind you, I don't think it's usually pretty vital for the Ukrainians to know where any given Russian ship is at every moment, given that the Russians haven't much ability to really threaten Ukraine with them. They'd only want to know where those ships are in order to try and hit them, and if you're going to do that you have the option of sitting back and waiting until conditions are just right for you to go for them.

Keep in mind the original conversation sprung out of the camo paint the Russians were using and led to whether or not satellite imagery renders it impotent.

I think the overall point is that the paint might not render the ship invisible to satellites (pretty obvious considering we are examining satellite photos of the paint) - but that satellite technology isn't perfect even if it is very good and that there are some scenarios where the paint might influence the outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Independence
Jul 12, 2006

The Wriggler

LochNessMonster posted:

Someone had to take the fall.