Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

credburn posted:

Trombonist lol

See this is where it falls apart for me. The -er suffix would be way better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
You're just a toddlist
Can't put much blame on a teenagist, they are stupid
My fathist and mothist are waiting for me
Eldists think they should be respected

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Soul Dentist posted:

One of my favorite tweets of all time is

"Garbagemen and pickup artists should switch names"

Can't find the original for credit oh well

I highlighted your post and googled it :)

https://twitter.com/ceejoyner/status/339765081485238272

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Large Testicles posted:

Now we should re-read the Batfightist comic and see how many bonists the Jokist pulls.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Lobok posted:

But that would make raper sound terrible!

Ehh, everyone in the Midwest always made jokey assumptions about Tom Raper anyway

postfixincrement
Jun 15, 2013

doubleplusgood

LifeSunDeath posted:

I think the suffix "-er" needs to be "-ist" at all times.

Flipperwaldt posted:

The butchist, the bakist, the candlestick makist.

Esperanto is like this: "person who does thing professionally" is always -isto, so "buĉisto", "bakisto", "kandelfaristo" but also "fotisto" (person who does photos) and "kantisto" (person who does songs) for example. Plural is always -oj. It is gendered: feminine form is always -in-, so "buĉistino".

Instead of a funny picture, have a chuckle at the idea of a shared language uniting the world in peace and harmony.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

postfixincrement posted:

Instead of a funny picture, have a chuckle at the idea of a shared language uniting the world in peace and harmony.

It is pretty funny to imagine being able to understand someone's thick Scottish accent.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I love and appreciate Esperanto but it is pretty funny to be like 'I'm gonna make a universal language' and then base it off French German and like Czech

That's all of them, right?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So Babble.com says:

quote:

The roots of Esperanto were largely based on Latin, with influences from Russian, Polish, English and German. This was done on purpose so that those who already speak a language descended from Latin will have a much easier time learning this new language. Many Esperantists claim that because of the simple grammar, familiar Latin vocabulary and phonetic spelling, you can learn it much faster than any other language.

So yeah, let the world come together around this shared language in peace in harmony! (but by world mostly thinking about Europe here).

Honestly leaning into Spanish and to lesser extant Dutch and Portuguese wouldn't of been a bad idea with how widely their spoken.

dr_rat has a new favorite as of 20:40 on Jun 29, 2023

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Large Testicles posted:

LOL

Trombonerist

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

dr_rat posted:

So Babble.com says:

So yeah, let the world come together around this shared language in peace in harmony! (but by world mostly thinking about Europe here).

Honestly leaning into Spanish and to lesser extant Dutch and Portuguese wouldn't of been a bad idea with how widely their spoken.

What?

As far as European languages go, Russian is the most widely spoken language natively, with German being in a far second.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

dialhforhero posted:

What?

As far as European languages go, Russian is the most widely spoken language natively, with German being in a far second.

I will straight up guarantee that there are more native Spanish (and probably French) speakers world wide than Russian because of the legacy of colonialism.

If we’re only counting Europeans as “native” speakers then sure but also lol

Edit: poo poo I forgot English lamo. UK+US+AU+CA+NZ native speakers alone are going to be more than native Russian speakers

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So to copy from the CIA world fact book (lol)
most-spoken language: English 18.8%, Mandarin Chinese 13.8%, Hindi 7.5%, Spanish 6.9%, French 3.4%, Arabic 3.4%, Bengali 3.4%, Russian 3.2%, Portuguese 3.2%, Urdu 2.9% (2022 est.)

If you could make a language from English, Mandarin, Hindi, Spanish and Arabic, that would cover around half of what languages spoken (I think the numbers are for primary language bit it was specified so that would change things quite a bit if not).

Anyway um not sure what a language would look like created out of all that, but it um it would be interesting.

dr_rat has a new favorite as of 23:20 on Jun 29, 2023

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://www.kohler.com/en/products/toilets/shop-toilets/numi-2-0-one-piece-elongated-smart-toilet-dual-flush-30754-pa

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

internet of shitter

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

LifeSunDeath posted:

I think the suffix "-er" needs to be "-ist" at all times.

They're gonna have to change the marketing on hard tea

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The gamer lighting is cool, but I like this image better.

Imagine you are visiting someone and when you go into their bathroom this is all you see. Just a weird wastepaper basket, no toilet, no toilet paper, no sign that you are supposed to poop here. Checking every door for a water closet.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Facebook Aunt posted:

Imagine you are visiting someone and when you go into their bathroom this is all you see. Just a weird wastepaper basket, no toilet, no toilet paper, no sign that you are supposed to poop here. Checking every door for a water closet.

what is that on the wall? is that the controls? thought it was some kind of vacuum tube for sticking your dick in a la laundry jet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FhHtlfCD28

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Killingyouguy! posted:

what is that on the wall? is that the controls? thought it was some kind of vacuum tube for sticking your dick in a la laundry jet

Its a new low visibility urinal

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

Honestly, all it's missing is a shelf with three seashells.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Cyrano4747 posted:

If we’re only counting Europeans as “native” speakers then sure but also lol

But the issue with Esperanto was that it is Eurocentric?!?

Like, that’s the exact point I am trying to make with how it is widely disproportionate in influence.

If you want languages that will make you be international the learn Chinese, Hindu, Spanish, and English (probably also in that order if you already know English).

dialhforhero has a new favorite as of 02:36 on Jun 30, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Killingyouguy! posted:

Place your butt up against the wall and press this button

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Facebook Aunt posted:

When I was in the cardiac ICU after surgery, they required some voiding as proof that I was back to normal. It took my wife a couple minutes to find the toilet, which was in this 3-lock-box contraption that looked like a kitchen base cabinet or built-in dresser: the counter hinged up & the sides could be folded back to expose the commode. Never seen anything like it since.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

dr_rat posted:

If you could make a language from English, Mandarin, Hindi, Spanish and Arabic, that would cover around half of what languages spoken (I think the numbers are for primary language bit it was specified so that would change things quite a bit if not).

It's wayyyyy easier for a tonal language speaker to learn a non-tonal language than vice versa and a ton of European language words have Indo-European roots. Most people in Africa speak a colonial pidgin too

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

theflyingexecutive posted:

It's wayyyyy easier for a tonal language speaker to learn a non-tonal language than vice versa and a ton of European language words have Indo-European roots. Most people in Africa speak a colonial pidgin too

I like making things up too :)

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

English got rid of nearly all grammatical gender, so it's unfortunately the superior European language.

hurr de hurr look at me i'm a german i have twenty-five words for 'the', alles in ordnung

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Byzantine posted:

English got rid of nearly all grammatical gender, so it's unfortunately the superior European language.

hurr de hurr look at me i'm a german i have twenty-five words for 'the', alles in ordnung

Der die das
We wir was
Wieso weshalb warum

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Die, die, die my darling

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Grendels Dad posted:

The, the, the my darling

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Trombone
Tromboner
Trombonest
gotta catch 'em all!

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Facebook Aunt posted:

https://youtu.be/HSb8gw4Z39Q

edit:

Scratch Monkey has a new favorite as of 14:15 on Jun 30, 2023

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Facebook Aunt posted:

I'm the man in the box
Buried in my poo poo
Won't you come and save me?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Whooping Crabs posted:

I'm the man in the box
Buried in my poo poo

I'd get a bigger box if I were you. Looks cramped.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Whooping Crabs posted:

I'm the man in the box
Buried in my poo poo

Alice in the loo

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The Bananana posted:

Alice in the loo

Alice in bain
I know it doesn't rhyme

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Byzantine posted:

if this is the main criteria then clearly we should all just start speaking Finnish, as it is an invented language to begin with, made up by deranged minds to spite god and his creation

barbecue at the folks has a new favorite as of 21:04 on Jun 30, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
id rather speak korean at least they have good food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I feel like it should be very possible to speak a language made up by deranged minds to spite god and his creation and still eat Korean food.

Like those two things really shouldn't be mutually exclusive.