Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

nobody wants to fill out unemployment claim paperwork anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

Every Fortune 500 company, every Ivy League College, and especially Federal level jobs like the CIA/FBI (it was already a "Good Ol' Boiz Club" to begin with but :lol: you aint seen nothing yet!1!1!)...

its literally like the 19-loving-50s all over again where the only positions available for non-asian PoCs are just Cooks and Janitors

... buuut I'm sure im just doomposting

cooks and janitors made a living in the 50s tho

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
https://twitter.com/LeverNews/status/1674536258356527105

quote:

In their view, healthcare prices appear unsustainably low and likely to accelerate in the near future. Here’s why:

The input costs of medical care (including labor and supply expenses) have increased approximately 13% since 2019. This has outpaced the prices consumers pay for that healthcare by roughly 5%, causing negative operating margins for nearly half of US hospitals.

Healthcare inflation tends to lag other sectors because of staggered price setting and multi-year contracts. Government-administered prices (Medicare and Medicaid) are reassessed on an annual basis, while private-payor prices are negotiated even less frequently – often once every three years. Our Research analysts estimate that the lead time between wage and price inflation in the healthcare sector is at a lengthy 18 months.

So, even as wage and supply cost pressures ease today, last fall’s 5.7% spike in healthcare wage growth argues for an upcoming spike in healthcare inflation.

At the same time, the ongoing rebalancing of other macro factors over the next couple of years is likely to moderate inflation in healthcare, as in other parts of the economy.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Uberdash, part time food service, and FTE with benefits, are all the same and all count as a job. Unemployment down ZOMG

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Mr Hootington posted:

Shut up AI fucker

thread title

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lmao

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Father Wendigo posted:

Affirmative Action is dead

accelerationism ftw

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

roaring 20s

doomers rekt again

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Maed posted:

lol this is just an excuse those things aren’t enforceable especially in California

how do u read this thread and think any laws mean anything ? courts are just referees for billionaires and they’re on the take too. exactly as god intended

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I’ll post pictures later but Charlotte baggage claim is a loving free for all. Hundreds of bags everywhere. Nearly got into a altercation with a baggage agent who refused to let me take one of my bags but he got swarmed by a mass of other people yelling at him first and was distracted.

They have more in a holding area that they have to go check if you don’t find it in the pile. They scanned my bags in yesterday and they’ve just been sitting.

Edit: this shitshow broke some of their conveyer belts so people are bringing bags up in carts. United has started dumping bags at the American baggage claims too while American bags are coming down the conveyers so everything is piling together.

Pure loving chaos.

Saltpowered has issued a correction as of 23:26 on Jun 29, 2023

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Lpzie posted:

keep telling urself that

gotta have faith… faith of the heart

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

StratGoatCom posted:

https://twitter.com/ybhrdwj/status/1673766716894253061

Good chance the bubble will pop within the lifetime of the thread, then we'll have the greatest Content on CSPAM since Trrmup was elected, considering this is the thing stopping the economy going up.

:getin:

chuckling quietly about that article a few pages back about how nobody wants to invest in the UK because we haven't gone all-in on AI

(obviously we're still a basket case but lol that 'insufficient AI bullshit' is considered just as offputting to investors as 'worst inflation in Europe')

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Centrist Committee posted:

how do u read this thread and think any laws mean anything ? courts are just referees for billionaires and they’re on the take too. exactly as god intended

theyre actually legitimately unenforceable in California, companies get stomped on in court if they try to enforce them here

instead companies conspire secretly to keep people from being employed by competitors, but that does require companies to cooperate so they can and do choose to ratfuck each other instead sometimes

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Saltpowered posted:

I’ll post pictures later but Charlotte baggage claim is a loving free for all. Hundreds of bags everywhere. Nearly got into a altercation with a baggage agent who refused to let me take one of my bags but he got swarmed by a mass of other people yelling at him first and was distracted.

They have more in a holding area that they have to go check if you don’t find it in the pile. They scanned my bags in yesterday and they’ve just been sitting.

Edit: this shitshow broke some of their conveyer belts so people are bringing bags up in carts. United has started dumping bags at the American baggage claims too while American bags are coming down the conveyers so everything is piling together.

Pure loving chaos.

remember to celebrate the freedoms you have in the best country ever made this weekend :patriot:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

its literally like the 19-loving-50s all over again where the only positions available for non-asian PoCs are just Cooks and Janitors

... buuut I'm sure im just doomposting

we regret to inform you that the janitor and cook positions are not longer company jobs. they are third party contractors that use temp agency staffing.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

triple sulk posted:

it took me a few weeks of poking around with the openai apis to just realize that aside from all the made up info and legal issues, it's not economically feasible for anyone

at this rate it'll all be dead in the water by the end of the year, maybe a little longer

Amazon CEO is making every department include some AI bullshit in their yearly planning documents lol

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1674532202061733888?s=20

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Saltpowered posted:

Pure loving chaos.

The Democrats

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

webcams for christ posted:

regardless of any specific posters itt, do children understand the difference between "cheapo" parents and parents who can't afford the arbitrary desires of children? are parents beneath above a certain income threshold held to a different standard? do children from lower income families resent their parents more?

As a kid with parents who couldn't afford to get us much: I never resented them for that. I literally just didn't ask for things I figured were out of their price range as soon as I grasped that as a concept. I did ask santa for some nicer things as like the childhood version of a stretch goal tho. Nothing crazy just like "i'd really love to get a new desk" and on christmas morning i did wake up with a new desk and it was pretty cool. It wasnt the best desk but it held my art supplies and i could sit there with my spirograph knock off and go wild.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

never getting on a plane again in my lifetime

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

silicone thrills posted:

As a kid with parents who couldn't afford to get us much: I never resented them for that. I literally just didn't ask for things I figured were out of their price range as soon as I grasped that as a concept. I did ask santa for some nicer things as like the childhood version of a stretch goal tho. Nothing crazy just like "i'd really love to get a new desk" and on christmas morning i did wake up with a new desk and it was pretty cool. It wasnt the best desk but it held my art supplies and i could sit there with my spirograph knock off and go wild.

My dad spent all his money on get rich quick schemes and prepper bullshit so while my family was relatively well off I definitely felt poor.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Every carousel looked like this. Some had bags stacked on top and spilling over. More bags were constantly coming out from arriving flights and from United missing bags. When I first arrived at the baggage desk, the agent looked up my bags and told me they were in the C carousel “ocean” which was about 5 different carousels worth of piled baggage.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

regardless of any specific posters itt, do children understand the difference between "cheapo" parents and parents who can't afford the arbitrary desires of children? are parents beneath above a certain income threshold held to a different standard? do children from lower income families resent their parents more?

I grew up with a single mom in seattle making like 20k a year and she hid our poverty well but there weren't a lot of treats or special occasions and we were just used to it. Like I did notice other kids getting even small things like candy bars or chips or eating out regularly but she played it well as being for our health. If anything I appreciated it greatly cause when I went off to college aside from our fafsa expected family contribution being 0 (and that's basically when I learned just how poor we were) I was well acclimated to just not having treats and being a low maintenance person. A lot of my friends took out extra loans and would eat out a lot or buy games and such with it but I had a sense of frugality ingrained that let me live comfortably off my fairly quaint scholarships.

There are some lingering effects though like even though I make decent money now I'm still inclined to not spend it on stuff, for example I hardly ever buy new games even if I know I'll enjoy them because I'm just so used to playing previous generation stuff on a shoestring entertainment budget.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

That picture is bullshit, nobody builds block homes anymore! :mad:

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
A bunch of small-shop unions are freaking out because UAW leadership is completely loving them over.

Refusing to let them strike, insisting on negotiations with each tiny supplier rather than an overall contract and insisting that a poo poo contract with paycuts is what they have to accept.

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2023/06/20/amgp-j20.html

quote:

More than 500 Clarios workers in Holland, Ohio returned to work late Sunday and Monday for the first time since the end of their 40-day strike at the Toledo-area auto battery manufacturing plant. Their powerful walkout was ended after United Auto Workers Local 12 and UAW International officials pushed through a concessions-laden contract, which workers had decisively rejected two times before.

Clarios workers who spoke to the WSWS described the conditions when they returned to work Monday. One worker who spoke to the WSWS at length explained, “When we came back, the plant manager was at the gate, welcoming us, giving high fives and passing out coffee and donuts. I don’t know what’s worse, the company retaliating against us or being too nice while they stick us with this rotten contract. They’re going to be working a lot of us 12 hours a day, with no overtime. I always say, if they could get away with it, they wouldn’t pay us anything. All they care about is the bottom line.”

During the work stoppage, Clarios had brought in strikebreakers and management personnel and shifted production to other plants in the US and Mexico to fill orders for GM, Ford, Stellantis and other automakers. Although this produced widespread opposition from rank-and-file autoworkers, the UAW International, led by new President Shawn Fain, gave the auto companies a green light to use batteries produced by scab labor.

In a livestreamed event Friday, Fain falsely claimed that Clarios workers and other UAW members at Constellium and the University of Washington—whose strikes were also shut down by the UAW bureaucracy—had won “massive gains.” In fact, the new three-year deal at Clarios includes an insulting 3 percent annual wage increase and allows the company to introduce a new 2-2-3 work schedule with 12-hour workdays and no overtime payments.
lol

quote:

The United Auto Workers reported Tuesday night the ratification of a deeply regressive six-year contract deal by 73 percent by workers at Detroit Diesel. The contract covers 1,300 workers at the engine plant in Redford, Michigan west of Detroit.

The deal was identical in most fundamentals to the one workers rejected by a 4-1 ratio on May 10. Assuming the results are legitimate and not the result of ballot fraud by the UAW, the vote was not an expression of confidence in the UAW but just the opposite. Workers had no confidence that the UAW could be made to fight in their interests for a decent contract. Workers found themselves up against a brick wall, facing a “union” whose president Ray Curry sits on the board of directors of Detroit Diesel’s parent company Mercedes Benz AG.
lmao

the unions are dyin', cloud.

e: there was another shop with a lovely contract being forced on them too and I can't find it. Just absolutely loving anyone not working directly for GM as concessions to get a better deal for GM workers (which they won't get, of course)

Harik has issued a correction as of 00:30 on Jun 30, 2023

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
air travel is only bad because America refuses to build any trains

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Germany has a law where union reps have to be on boards iirc

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

i don't think i can actually process this one

president is literally making GBS threads his pants in front of witnesses and stumbles around muttering nonsense as they pretend he doesn't have late stage dementia? okay

acting like the US healthcare industry needs to raise its prices on anything? what

what the gently caress

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Harik posted:

A bunch of small-shop unions are freaking out because UAW leadership is completely loving them over.

Refusing to let them strike, insisting on negotiations with each tiny supplier rather than an overall contract and insisting that a poo poo contract with paycuts is what they have to accept.

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2023/06/20/amgp-j20.html

lol

lmao

the unions are dyin', cloud.

ray curry hasn't been president of the UAW since march.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

I think it depends on the kid and it depends on what the parents are like. I have friends and relatives who definitely have a chip on their shoulder about how money was budgeted within their family or how their parents made choices that resulted in lower income.

Hopefully most of you guys are in a better mental place than these people are.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

WSWS also sucks rear end, has never seen a union it didn't hate, and stanned hard for andrew cuomo

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2021/08/05/pers-a05.html

quote:

What’s behind the New York Times-led campaign to bring down Andrew Cuomo?
Eric London
@EricLondonSEP
15 March 2021

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo is the latest target of yet another fraudulent sex scandal, which has become the weapon of choice used by the Democratic Party in the execution of its increasingly frequent political hit jobs.

One is best advised to ignore the moral posturing of the sundry New York Democrats. This is a knife fight between competing factions of the corrupt New York Democratic Party machine. In this fight, the opponents of Cuomo are, to a great extent, motivated by calculations of career and political expediency. At this stage, the deeper issues that are driving the conflict are not yet fully known. But there can be little doubt that issues of concern to powerful political interests are involved.

At the center of the manufactured sex scandal is, once again, the filthy New York Times. Its editor, Dean Baquet, endlessly sniffing for sin and soliciting stories of unwanted advances, inappropriate leers, and, with a bout of luck, an allegation of a career-destroying grope, has unleashed his newsroom bloodhounds against Cuomo. The father of yellow journalism, William Randolph Hearst, famously told his photographers as he campaigned for a military confrontation with Spain, “You provide the pictures, I’ll furnish the war.” The motto of Baquet is: “I’ll dredge up the allegations and then manufacture the scandal.”

Its latest installment in the unrelenting campaign against Cuomo is an article by Shane Goldmacher, published Sunday, titled “The Imperious Rise and Accelerating Fall of Andrew Cuomo.” Focused on proving that Cuomo is widely hated, the Times unintentionally exposes the fact that the sex scandal is a pretext for settling scores and advancing other as yet unstated agendas. The article includes no actual facts proving Cuomo’s alleged behavior. It is, instead, comprised entirely of vindictive personal denunciations of Cuomo.

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Saltpowered posted:

Every carousel looked like this. Some had bags stacked on top and spilling over. More bags were constantly coming out from arriving flights and from United missing bags. When I first arrived at the baggage desk, the agent looked up my bags and told me they were in the C carousel “ocean” which was about 5 different carousels worth of piled baggage.

lmao

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

SKULL.GIF posted:

Something that's severely off topic but doesn't matter because the cadre of fat losers have succeeded into turning this into yet another chat thread.

The plane all along

SKULL.GIF posted:

You mean something like the Department of Transportation putting out a press release asking airlines to fix their poo poo and then shrugging when they're completely ignored?

Empty quote.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A bad union is worse than no union because when you don't have a union you can start a good one.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

SourKraut posted:

That picture is bullshit, nobody builds block homes anymore! :mad:

they do in Florida

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

it's everyone's unemployment falling off

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

is this soft landing?

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Saltpowered posted:

Lmfao I’m leaving Saturday for Europe

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Saltpowered posted:

This reminds me of the time I flew into SeaTac immediately after that guy stole that Horizon plane. Bags, bags everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Starting to believe that accelerated decline has really kicked off. I wonder if this new AI cycle will be a boom and bust, like crypto, just condensed.

Things are so hosed. Everyone around me, even outside my social groups, are talking about the dilapidation of everything.