Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sardonik posted:

For the curious, this is the metaphysics of the Xenosaga series. A game series which has a 4,000 year time jump in its opening cutscene. :v:

The plot also can be summarized in like 2 sentences, but is never explained clearly in the games themselves.

"The universe is doomed, so an rear end in a top hat with a magic time machine keeps resetting time back to the stone age whenever things get too bad. The only person who is immune to the time loop is Cthulu, who watches everything and finds it hilarious."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

Australia still mad about that Simpsons episode I guess.

The Yanks know what they did. :colbert:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

dr_rat posted:

The Yanks seppos know what they did. :colbert:

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Posted by someone in another thread. It's minor, but why make right hand the left column and left hand the right column?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

jjack229 posted:

Posted by someone in another thread. It's minor, but why make right hand the left column and left hand the right column?

Prejudice

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

jjack229 posted:

If you’re using images that show bodies facing you, their right hands will appear on the left side of the page. Better the image and chart match up than the word and page.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
To keep those lefties too confused to continue with any of their devilish plans.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

dr_rat posted:

To keep those lefties too confused to continue with any of their sinister plans.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Grassy Knowles posted:

If you’re using images that show bodies facing you, their right hands will appear on the left side of the page. Better the image and chart match up than the word and page.

I'd guess that's why glasses prescriptions are the "wrong way" around too.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

TinTower posted:

Selling glasses is how I learned that lol

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Grassy Knowles posted:

I guess that makes sense. I know I had a hard time trying to quickly read the table until I realized it was because I kept expecting left hand to be the left column.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Grassy Knowles posted:

TinTower posted:

Selling glasses is how I learned that lol

Huh! I had no idea. I've never paid close attention to my glasses prescription, and only really noticed it in context of my contacts—which, you know, are just in a box that I wrote L or R on. (No stickers when they're shipped directly to me.)

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Australia still mad about that Simpsons episode I guess.

I think it's because the USA's nuclear sub program/sales to Australia is a hot(...ish) topic in contemporary Australian politics, thus "liking America" is currently a partisan statement.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/anniierau/status/1674496819605241856

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kantele plot would probably be a better name, agreed.

(e: pronounced oval office-ele)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

O'Keeffe plots

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Yeah, but Flatworm Plot isn't a very good name.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Tunicate posted:

The plot also can be summarized in like 2 sentences, but is never explained clearly in the games themselves.

"The universe is doomed, so an rear end in a top hat with a magic time machine keeps resetting time back to the stone age whenever things get too bad. The only person who is immune to the time loop is Cthulu, who watches everything and finds it hilarious."

poo poo now I wanna play them and I had no previous interest

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

https://xkcd.com/1967/

Strictly speaking, 'violin' refers to the internal structure of the data. The external portion visible in the plot is called the 'viola.'

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

violout.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

The overall shape is called the violin, but the resonating aperture is called the f-hole.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

The Cheshire Cat posted:

O'Keeffe plots

Gonna use this next time I make a violin plot

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Ham sandwich plot.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
la parcelle de rosbif

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
It's obviously a flower

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Antigravitas posted:

https://xkcd.com/1967/

Strictly speaking, 'violin' refers to the internal structure of the data. The external portion visible in the plot is called the 'viola.'

violva

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 09:36 on Jul 1, 2023

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

They're sized for Latvian women, clearly.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Like you say that, but strontium-90 is about 33,320 cals per mole, last generation was obviously just getting all their dietary cals from nuclear fall out from all those daily nuclear tests they had back then!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

4oz hamburgers, no wonder wimpie was mainlining those things

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Are 42 oz cups widely available at fast food restaurants? That feels like the absurdly huge sizes they sell at gas stations for road trips. The largest one I can think of seeing at a restaurant is 30 oz, which is still ginormous, but also quite a bit smaller.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Doc Hawkins posted:

4oz hamburgers, no wonder wimpie was mainlining those things

hey buddy 4oz is g-d's own quarter pound

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Tree Goat posted:

hey buddy 4oz is g-d's own quarter pound

n..no! no!!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Captain Hygiene posted:

Are 42 oz cups widely available at fast food restaurants? That feels like the absurdly huge sizes they sell at gas stations for road trips. The largest one I can think of seeing at a restaurant is 30 oz, which is still ginormous, but also quite a bit smaller.
Yeah the large cups at Burger King, Jack in the Box, Carl's Jr's, and lots of other places are in the 40-42oz range. McDonald's is kind of the outlier of the big chains in keeping their large at 30oz, since I think they're still reeling from the Supersize bad press. Of course most of those cups get filled like 1/2 - 2/3 of the way up with ice before they add the soda, so the amount of actual soda you're getting varies quite a bit.

The giant gas station cups are usually 64oz or more.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh wow, I guess it is me who is out of touch. I have a couple 30 oz plastic cups around since they're pretty handy, and I thought they were at the high end of what I'd seen at fast food joints.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

This is one of the times that I'm not looking up how much an oz is in real measurements because I don't need to know how insane amounts of sugar y'all are drinking. At least dehydration isn't an issue I guess?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
1970s High Times ad

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BonHair posted:

This is one of the times that I'm not looking up how much an oz is in real measurements because I don't need to know how insane amounts of sugar y'all are drinking. At least dehydration isn't an issue I guess?

Too bad.

It’s like thirty millilitres.

Forty‐two fluid ounces is a litre and a quarter.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BonHair posted:

An oz is 2.3 liters, it's crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Just estimate the amounts from the sizes on the graph, they even provided human figures for scale