Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I think Xi's point was that the actions of the party during those periods made sense in the context of those periods, even if they differed. That was what done under Deng wasn't possible under Mao, and what was necessary under Mao wasn't needed under Deng.

Also, to be honest, are they doxx people in this thread for making a little too logical of a case significant damage being done by artillery system? I always found the irony has been that for the most part no one is really saying anything actual radical in this thread beyond "boy...this makes absolutely no sense."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

I realise I won't be able to convince anyone that I harbour no ill will whatsoever to anyone here but, like, GBS is next door.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leandros posted:

The Edelweiss is a flower found in the Alps and has been a symbol of mountaineering in general (but also mountain units in particular) way before Nazism turned up.

Leandros posted:

I'm sure it's political but considering they are in a perceived existential struggle against a former overlord that dictated the course of the past century's history, which part of its rather young national identity would you have them harken to?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Ardennes posted:

Also, to be honest, are they doxx people in this thread for making a little too logical of a case significant damage being done by artillery system? I always found the irony has been that for the most part no one is really saying anything actual radical in this thread beyond "boy...this makes absolutely no sense."

the most damning accusations about this thread is that several of the members want to smooch Putin on his lips, but I've never seen Frosted Flake declare his loyalty to Putin in this way.

The only people who have a real problem with this thread are those deranged souls who think that having a thread of people who express anti US imperialism sentiments and don't fully buy the Ukrainian propaganda somehow makes the forums "look bad" to outsiders, or if they are even more delusional those that believe in the online battlefield or w/e and how fighting on twitter is just as important as what goes on in Ukraine. You know, the idea if everyone in the world was united in posting Putin monkey memes he would be flung down into the depths of hell that very moment.

Starsfan has issued a correction as of 00:47 on Jun 30, 2023

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Leandros posted:

I realise I won't be able to convince anyone that I harbour no ill will whatsoever to anyone here but, like, GBS is next door.

get out dipshit

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Tankbuster posted:

lmao ukraine is going to end this war colonized by poland.

No! No!!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Starsfan posted:

lol your comment is obviously a joke but I read it as Flake expressing amazement that this incredibly stupid person isn't just some dumb grunt and had a position of authority :P

lol exactly.

e: If I was posting the current, classified, manuals and other work material, that'd actually be a problem, but everything I post is publicly available. Plus, the old diagrams and technical illustrations were drawn by hand and poo poo, which is p cool imo.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 00:59 on Jun 30, 2023

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

Oh man, can you imagine knowing this poo poo for pure love of the game? Does anyone care about the artillery? Like, is there Dad Art of artillery and Dad Books at Chapters/Indigo/Coles?

just making shells one at a time in my backyard foundry

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Frosted Flake posted:

Oh man, can you imagine knowing this poo poo for pure love of the game? Does anyone care about the artillery? Like, is there Dad Art of artillery and Dad Books at Chapters/Indigo/Coles?

::as i load model rocket engines into conduit:: well I just had a really good time in high school trigonometry and to be honest I’ve been chasing that high ever sense

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Ash1138 posted:

absolute trash. i started buying wranglers a few years back after i had three pairs of levis split at the crotch after only a couple weeks of wear. just incredibly thin material by comparison.

Levis have been pretty crap ever since they decided to cheap out and stop using the rivets on the pockets/crotch seam and just stitch the poo poo out of it instead. Literally designed to blow the rear end out of them within a year

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Lord of Pie posted:

Levis have been pretty crap ever since they decided to cheap out and stop using the rivets on the pockets/crotch seam and just stitch the poo poo out of it instead. Literally designed to blow the rear end out of them within a year

Isn't the brand built on using the rivets?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

HiroProtagonist posted:

get out dipshit

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Another Quran burning in Sweden. Turkey (and Hungary) unlikely to approve its membership in NATO this year.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

Isn't the brand built on using the rivets?

Yeah, and also the brand still uses rivets.

They did remove crotch rivets in the 1940s, so maybe some posters ITT are much older than I thought. Rivets were removed from the back pockets in the 1960s.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

just making shells one at a time in my backyard foundry

bet you could score a fat loving contract to expand production very shortly if you knew the right people

nato needs another source of shells. do you think you could do two at a time maybe?? here is $100 million

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/SaschaAmato/status/1673518662387417090?s=20
https://twitter.com/SaschaAmato/status/1674041998427426817?s=20

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

OhFunny posted:

Another Quran burning in Sweden. Turkey (and Hungary) unlikely to approve its membership in NATO this year.

A quran a day keeps the nato away

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

From another perspective, Russia is attacking Ukraine in order to engage in resistance against challenges to their sphere of influence. So the Russian leadership is choosing war and death in the name of resisting Ukraine’s realignment to other countries they do not like.

Russia thinks this resistance is winnable long term. Maybe. But even if they win next year, might not mean much long term.

Russia markets this war as resistance against western aggression, so maybe you’re onto something with lionizing violent resistance.

Ukraine must capitulate for Russia's defiance of the west's war of aggression to succeed. Everybody has to make sacrifices I suppose.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Finally a cool new vehicle thats not an improv piece

https://twitter.com/praisethesteph/status/1674332944079486976?s=19

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

OctaMurk posted:

Finally a cool new vehicle thats not an improv piece

https://twitter.com/praisethesteph/status/1674332944079486976?s=19

rank 3 br 5.7

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Crotch rivets....jeez why?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

dont know what the lovely guy from last page was doing but yea ff you share too much pi imo, just be careful homie

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

recently learned that gunther has an instagram

https://twitter.com/iwrite4jacobin/status/1674421328894631938

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lol

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Wtf https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/1674485035536097284

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bad news for the Belarussian democratic forces coalesced around Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya - Opposition plans to overthrow Moscow-backed dictator are back on hold after his role in halting Wagner mutiny

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/29/belarusian-exiles-hopes-dashed-as-lukashenko-boasts-of-saving-putin

Belarusian exiles’ hopes dashed as Lukashenko boasts of saving Putin

For a few hours on Saturday, as troops loyal to the renegade warlord Yevgeny Prigozhin marched on Moscow, the Belarusian opposition in exile believed Day X had arrived.

That is how the democratic forces coalesced around Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya, who fled Belarus in 2020 after Alexander Lukashenko rigged a presidential vote and then ruthlessly crushed massive protests, refer to the day they hope to overthrow the Moscow-backed dictator.

As the news of Prigozhin’s extraordinary mutiny broke on Saturday morning, Tsikhanouskaya convened a video call of her “transitional cabinet”, half based in Vilnius and half in Warsaw, to begin implementing the plan for Day X.

“We were preparing for the storming of the Kremlin by Prigozhin’s troops and [subsequently] instability inside Belarus,” Tsikhanouskaya said in a telephone interview.

Her cabinet made contact with a Belarusian regiment fighting as part of the Ukrainian army and readied a plan to activate partisan groups inside Belarus to perform a series of actions aimed at paralysing the regime, Tsikhanouskaya said.

“We got a lot of signals from inside Belarus that people were ready and waiting to go to the streets,” said Pavel Latushka, a former Belarusian culture minister who is now a key opposition leader.

Then, on Saturday evening, an unexpected announcement put an end to the Day X excitement, just as it was building. Prigozhin turned his troops back after a deal negotiated by the unlikeliest of brokers – Lukashenko himself.

The Belarusian leader announced he had spent the day talking to Prigozhin, and claimed he had persuaded the warlord to call off his march on Moscow in exchange for safe passage to exile in Belarus for Prigozhin and his Wagner group fighters.

The announcement initially met with widespread scepticism. But the Kremlin confirmed the contours of the deal, the FSB dropped its case against Prigozhin, and on Tuesday Vladimir Putin thanked Lukashenko for his help in resolving the crisis. It all amounted to a remarkable political coup for the Belarusian leader.

Putin and Lukashenko have long had a fractious personal relationship beneath the public bonhomie, but now more than ever they appear to be stuck with each other, however irritated the Russian president may be by Lukashenko’s boasting.

While this means security guarantees for Lukashenko’s regime, there is another side to the coin of their intertwined fates. If Prigozhin’s aborted coup proves to be just the start of a seriously turbulent period for the Kremlin, Lukashenko’s rule will also become harder to sustain.

“He wouldn’t last a single day without Putin,” Tsikhanouskaya said.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

stephenthinkpad posted:

Crotch rivets....jeez why?

One of the first changes made to jeans was to put an extra strip of denim behind the crotch rivet. It turned out the crotch rivet could get very hot if you were sitting in front of a fire and then shifting position could put the hot rivet in contact with your unmentionables.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

lol yeah get it max

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Bad news for micheal tracy haters

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

fizzy posted:

Bad news for the Belarussian democratic forces coalesced around Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya - Opposition plans to overthrow Moscow-backed dictator are back on hold after his role in halting Wagner mutiny

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/29/belarusian-exiles-hopes-dashed-as-lukashenko-boasts-of-saving-putin

Belarusian exiles’ hopes dashed as Lukashenko boasts of saving Putin
lol masterstroke, really great team building excercise everybody

fizzy posted:

If Prigozhin’s aborted coup proves to be just the start of a seriously turbulent period for the Kremlin, Lukashenko’s rule will also become harder to sustain.
why wont u just coup alreadyyyyyyyyy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MissPavIichenko/status/1674517539215294466?t=Pdvj_9eSTVU5DdjlZZv-6g&s=19

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
has anyone written an article comparing this stuff to confederate statues in the US or something

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I have to admit, addressing the security council would be kind of cool even if the Western countries didn't show up (maybe that would be better).

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

So one thing not clear to me is if Zelensky was just some guy who was drafted or if Servant of the People (the show) was a long term project with Servant of the People (the party) as a long term goal.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The channel itself, and the media conglomerate it's part of, was used to present the political message of the oligarch(s) that owned it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
michael tracey looks like fat cody

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
He was likely drafted into it, the TV show was a bit of a surprise hit and Poroshenko's popularity had taken enough of a hit it made sense for Kolomoisky to make a move (there had been a sharp falling out between the two of them and an investigation into his properties). Kolomoisky himself had flip-flopped over taking a hard/soft approach versus the Kremlin, but would have probably found some type of treaty with Russia acceptable. The "political types" putting pressure on Zelensky back in 2019 were almost certainly at the behest of the US.

So there are a bunch of oligarch shenanigans in the background to all of this, but ultimately, Ukraine has always been a US project.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

So one thing not clear to me is if Zelensky was just some guy who was drafted or if Servant of the People (the show) was a long term project with Servant of the People (the party) as a long term goal.

watch his interview with David letterman from a few months ago. Dave asks something along these lines and zelenskyy's answer suggests the latter

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fits my needs posted:

has anyone written an article comparing this stuff to confederate statues in the US or something

Good news for people seeking articles comparing Soviet-era statues to Confederate statues in the US.

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/21/892914684/what-to-do-with-toppled-statues-russia-has-a-fallen-monument-park

What To Do With Toppled Statues? Russia Has A Fallen Monument Park
July 21, 20205:04 AM ET

In Muzeon, the context of the Soviet monuments has changed entirely, she says, and the presence of so many other sculptures — mostly apolitical — has deprived them of their symbolic power.

Today Muscovites take yoga classes or rollerblade near the "Avenue of Leaders," which features statues of Soviet rulers such as Vladimir Lenin, Josef Stalin and Leonid Brezhnev.

"I consider these sculptures to be part of our history," says Artyom Golbin, a park guide and historian who was born in 1992, the same year Muzeon was founded. "The history of Russia — and any other country — has different periods, some of them bad, some of them good. Still, we have to remember them, and these sculptures are an important reminder of Soviet times."

Natasha Zamkovaya, strolling past Brezhnev with a friend, agrees that the monuments are needed to preserve the past. And the same applies to controversial statues in the United States, she says. "I'm against just sweeping away monuments. Those people had some sort of authority, their statues didn't just stand there for nothing," says Zamkovaya, 27. "They're also a part of American history."

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/17/world/europe/european-monuments-statues-communism.html

Political Rage Over Statues? Old News in the Old World
By Rick Lyman
Aug. 17, 2017

Recent episodes of rage and bloodshed over the removal of Confederate statues in the United States have a familiar ring for Europeans, who have been battling over their historical narratives and tearing down statues of noxious former leaders since the Bronze Age — and probably before.

“There are some similarities between what is happening in Poland and what is happening in the United States,” said Antoni Dudek, a contemporary historian and board member at Poland’s Institute of National Remembrance, created after the fall of communism to document the totalitarian crimes of the past.

“The argument about monuments, which should be resolved mostly between historians and citizens, has become a substitute for everyday political fights,” he said. “The same goes for the States now that President Trump has joined the debate. Suddenly, the argument got much more intense.”

Under legislation passed in June, Poland’s right-wing government has given local officials and landowners just one year to remove all public monuments and memorials that “pay tribute to persons, organizations, events or dates symbolizing communism or other totalitarian systems.” About 500 have been identified, almost all from the Communist era as the Soviets had already removed Nazi ones.

Slovakia, which broke away after the fall of communism, also reveres Masaryk, but has built its own stable of national heroes, with the biggest disputes over the country’s wartime leader, Jozef Tiso, who was hanged for collaborating with the Nazis. Though monuments to Tiso are still shunned in most of the country, the small village of Cakajovce has erected its own Pantheon of Slovak Historical Figures, with Tiso at the center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The investigation and the falling out could be completely staged.

Not the first time some eastern euro robber baron put on a show to hide his wealth in an attempt to avoid unnecessary attention.