Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

big dyke energy posted:

https://twitter.com/andreagrimes/status/1674477660326576128?s=20

I love to make delicious hamburgers for my child and her friends :) (without salt, spice, fries, condiments or bun)

Exactly what is “unhealthy“ about, I dunno, cumin or rosemary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
anything with flavor is unhealthy; it's well-known to cause hysteria, the vapors, and rebelliousness

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

My father once tasted oregano and ever since then he's thought it would taste pretty good in some dishes. It's an unhealthy addiction, I tell you. Anyway, here's your meat puck. Dig in!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

i'm making sandwiches, you want one? *throws a slice of bologna on a plate*

The meat that is mostly salt and spices lol

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Pepper makes you jerk off, also.

Anyway I pray to god that Jenna will soon escape her flavor prison.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Not even a goddamn bun. Fuckin bread is too much for this woman

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
But there’s more going on there than just “I don’t use salt or spices” because, what’s up with a burger being just the patty? Does she also not eat bread so no bun? She could make home fries by just cutting up a potato and frying or roasting it with a little oil. Or does she also not use oil?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Midnight Voyager posted:

Not even a goddamn bun. Fuckin bread is too much for this woman

Have you even seen what's in a bun? Ingredients!!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Consummate Professional posted:

You know white people,

No no no no, friend, this is beyond just White People(tm). My mother is white as gently caress and her idea of seasoning might as well be picking up the salt shaker, thinking about using it, then putting it back down. She still puts burgers on goddamn buns; this person has ascended to a realm beyond mere flavorlessness.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Buns... You mean CARBS!?!

Just eat some cancer why don't you.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I want to be careful about heart disease, so this meal will be a solid brick of red meat.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Hughlander posted:

AITA for objecting and causing a scene at my best friend’s wedding?

Back in my day people knew how to face these things with a sense of poise and rationality.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

There's a Russian dish (and certainly other cultures, I'm sure) called kotleti which is basically patties. They're not burgers though, and they are seasoned.

Pretty impressive that her cooking was so bad that the daughter took it up on her own.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Warning: estranged parent poo poo ahead

quote:

Fathers Day last Sunday affected me unexpectedly. I was OK until at church, people came and wished me Happy Fathers Day! The bitterness about my estrangement nearly erupted, I had to keep it under control. “I have no children” I snapped back at two people. The church gave $5 gift cards for coffee to fathers. I said, take it away, give to someone else. The reactions were perplexity…I suppose it’s not common knowledge about my estrangement. But I felt a need to convey this fact in a way they wouldn’t forget.

There has been a lot of beating around the bush and indirect statements regarding what is becoming an epidemic of adult children estranging their own parents. Let me come out and say it directly:
Many adult children are spoiled rotten monsters with little sense of either gratitude or understanding the importance of honoring one’s mother and father.

And this situation often has more political roots than even sympathetic therapists want to admit. Progressive young adults like my children see no problem with dumping their Deplorable Dad.

They are encouraged to think this way by a culture that idolizes individual expression at the expense of family and community cohesion. This culture flourishes in a political environment where older, wiser heads and their old-fashioned ideas of God and country are deliberately trashed to make way for a new, Marxist political order where the State is all-knowing, always correct, and holds power over everyone.

Why wouldn’t a young adult, especially one with modern, progressive convictions but perhaps even one with conservative politics, be tempted to throw their own parents over in the belief that Society approves and the State will provide?

Dad has bad vibes and is unpleasant to be around

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Suck it old bich

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for breaking my sister’s engagement?

quote:

My(m37) sister(f29) recently got engaged to “the love of her life” I’ll call Derek(m34).

They’ve been dating for about a year and a half and we the family have gotten to know Derek since the beginning of this year.

We all love Derek. Especially my dad and I, we watch F1 every weekend together with the rest of our friends.

The engagement was announced about 3 weeks ago, we were all obviously excited. 2 weeks ago at the last GP i was talking to Derek and at some point, (reason i might be an a-hole) my mind slipped and I said something along the lines of: “it’s great you found someone you love so much you would abandon having children”

Sadly my sister had to fight a battle with ovarian cancer when she was 16-17 which resulted in the surgical removal of her ovaries and from what I understand part of her uterus.

Now I didn’t think much about my comment. BUT TURNS OUT SHE NEVER DISCUSSED THIS WITH HIM. It was like i dropped a nuclear bomb of information. He said now it made sense why she always avoided discussing about children.

Well needless to say. The engagement broke, and they have now separated. And in the eyes of my sister and mother I’m the rear end in a top hat who separated my sister from the love of her life.

AITA for telling my half brother the reason why my mom wants nothing to do with him?

quote:

When I (16m) was a baby, my parents divorced. My dad had been cheating on my mom, and it only came to light because his mistress (my stepmom) got pregnant and made him choose between her and my mom. Nine months, and one divorce later, my brother Ethan (now 14) was born.

Needless to say, my mom isn’t fond of Ethan. She doesn’t hate him, but she doesn’t love him either, or want any type of relationship with him. On the semi-frequently times where she sees him (when she picks me up and drops me off from my dad’s house) she basically ignores him. She avoids making eye contact or ever initiating conversation with him, and when he tries to talk to her, she gives short answers and gets us both on our way asap.

My dad and stepmom have sheltered Ethan from the past family drama, and it’s always been frustrating, but I figured it wasn’t my place to interfere. Because of that, he didn’t understand why my mom doesn’t like him. He thought it was because she hates my dad (a bit true) and is a cold, resentful old hag who can’t leave the past behind and is jealous of my stepmom (his words exactly from two years ago, and again partially true minus the jealousy, but imo she has a good reason). Before y’all tell me that my mom lied to me about my dad’s affair, he’s admitted to everything as I’ve told it when I pressed him for details some years back.

Anyway, onto the inciting incident. My mom planned a vacation, and of course I was invited, but she also invited my paternal uncle (who took my mom’s side in the family schism that was the affair and divorce and who still remains close friends with her to this day) and his kids. When Ethan found out that his cousins were invited on the vacation but not him, he broke down and came to me asking why my mom hates him so much. He actually broke down crying, I felt so bad for him. I decided that he deserved to know the truth.

I tried to break the truth as gently as I possibly could, but there’s really no good way to tell a sobbing kid that he’s the result of cheating and that’s why my mom never wanted a relationship with him.

The good side is that he wasn’t crying anymore or mad at my mom, the bad side was that he was really pissed off at his parents. Well, I had to leave for the vacation (I’m actually writing on the flight lol) and my dad and stepmom have been blowing up my phone. They’re furious at me for “telling him before he was ready”. I let my mom know the situation and she told me that that was “kind of a jerk move” because I dropped a bomb and left them to clean up the mess. Ethan isn’t exactly emotionally mature, and considering the fury that I last saw him in, I wouldn’t want to deal with that clusterfuck either. Now I’m thinking I might have undermined my dad and stepmom’s parenting, and maybe I should have at least waited until after I got back so I could help prevent the implosion that’s going on back home. AITA?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

It's funny and sad that people on the right are still convinced that the left loves the government, and also that the government is marxist. I imagine it's gotta be pretty hard to understand your kids when you barely understand anything happening around you

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling my half brother the reason why my mom wants nothing to do with him?

quote:

They’re furious at me for “telling him before he was ready”

lmao that time would have been never if this hadn't happened

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I like how the title of the article about the daughter is “My Daughter Seems Intent on Humiliating Me in the Kitchen Every Night” because it works for talking about the daughter badmouthing her mom’s cooking but also for the fact that the daughter is now routinely stunting on mom by cooking actually decent meals.

I don’t subscribe to Slate so I can’t see the response but if anyone’s at their computer you can see if the writer had a decent reply by using the inspect feature in Chrome and poking around the page’s html

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Pirate Radar posted:

I like how the title of the article about the daughter is “My Daughter Seems Intent on Humiliating Me in the Kitchen Every Night” because it works for talking about the daughter badmouthing her mom’s cooking but also for the fact that the daughter is now routinely stunting on mom by cooking actually decent meals.

I don’t subscribe to Slate so I can’t see the response but if anyone’s at their computer you can see if the writer had a decent reply by using the inspect feature in Chrome and poking around the page’s html

all you need to do is turn on noscript for a second:

quote:

Dear Kitchen Nightmare,

It’s great that Jenna likes to cook, and there’s nothing inherently wrong with her preparing dinner for herself. But it also strikes me as a little sad that she has to wait her turn for the kitchen and eat alone every night just because you apparently refuse to compromise and cook anything she likes or can stand to eat. Perhaps she’s upset by this, and/or some other power struggle you two might be having, and that’s another reason why she is avoiding family meals with you? In any case, it sounds like you expect Jenna to love and appreciate the foods you prefer, even though you aren’t remotely open to the food or flavors that she likes. (Why not let her and her friends eat their burgers with buns and condiments, even if you don’t? Not giving your kids or guests the option feels odd and really controlling.)

I realize that I’m probably not going to be able to convince you of the goodness of spices—not to mention salt, which in modest amounts is a necessary mineral and key to making food taste like much of anything!—if you’ve resisted them for this long, but I don’t think it would kill you to take an interest in what your daughter enjoys. It’s one small way you can show your care and respect for her. Surely it would be okay to ask her what she would like to eat for family dinners and include some of those dishes in the meal rotation? You and Jenna could prepare them together sometimes, since you two have a shared interest in cooking. It would allow you to learn more about what she enjoys and acknowledge that she is her own person, with her own sense of taste and likes and preferences that aren’t identical to yours, which is perfectly okay.

—Nicole

nothing too great, really

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

trickybiscuits posted:

Warning: estranged parent poo poo ahead

Dad has bad vibes and is unpleasant to be around

These kids suck. Maybe their parents should have raised them better.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Pirate Radar posted:

But there’s more going on there than just “I don’t use salt or spices” because, what’s up with a burger being just the patty? Does she also not eat bread so no bun? She could make home fries by just cutting up a potato and frying or roasting it with a little oil. Or does she also not use oil?

Do you really need to ask? Minimizing or eliminating oil is like step 1 with that kind of person. It's really easy to add a bunch of unnecessary calories with oil so it's often one of the first things cut.

It's been a few years since I looked in on the weightlifting thread but I remember seeing some really depressing diets. Couple of cans of tuna, plain, for breakfast. Chicken breasts and steamed broccoli for lunch and dinner (salt and pepper only), protein shake post-workout. Day after day after day.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for not wanting my boyfriend to bring his gaming PC on vacation?

quote:

My boyfriend (M24) and I (F23) have a vacation coming up that I’ve been actively planning for about 3 months now. This is something I’ve always done every year whether it’s with a friend group, family, or S/O, so it’s something I’ve been anticipating for basically an entire year.

This year I wanted to make it a private trip for me and my boyfriend who we’ll call Brad. I’ve already booked and paid for the hotel and a few of the activities we’ll be doing, which I was bringing up to him to see if there’s anything else that he would specifically like to do. I eventually brought up the fact I’d like to go bar hopping and see some live music and/or go walk on the beach at night when Brad said we couldn’t do anything after 9pm since he would be playing video games.

Brad plays Rainbow Six Siege with a group of his college friends on his gaming PC. They play every night in order to practice for some sort of competition/tournament they have coming up. It’s nothing professional esports level or anything, but I know they do take it seriously and I understand and respect that. I play games on my own PC myself so I understand. But seeing as how they need to practice, he says he’s bringing his entire PC setup to the beach with us.

I tried bringing up the fact I was hoping the trip could be more intimate and focused around us doing stuff together since it’s only a 4 day/3 night trip and we wouldn’t be gone that long. Brad is adamant on bringing his PC, and saying that me trying to convince him not to is selfish and he feels like I’m controlling him and how he spends his time. His main argument point is that we have all day to do stuff and he only wants to be on his PC at night. He also said I should bring my PC so we can play games together, but we don’t even play games together while we’re at home since I don’t play R6 and he constantly has a full group anyways.

I’m trying to put my foot down about this and the argument has come to the point where he is saying he won’t come on the trip if he can’t bring it and have his gaming time at night.

AITA for wanting a trip without his PC coming along with us?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's really dumb of us to not be working on GMO people who can photosynthesize and still breathe the new air we are creating.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for not wanting my boyfriend to bring his gaming PC on vacation?

This is one of the most advanced cases of gamerbrain I've seen in my medical career, I'm afraid we have no choice but to declare it terminal

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Clocks posted:

AITA want stepdaughter to pay to replace dishes

Christ this spoiler hit me like a flashbang

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Danaru posted:

Christ this spoiler hit me like a flashbang

like a plate thrown from several feet away

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pirate Radar posted:

My family did that even before my mother developed gluten issues. Sometimes we'd do buns but other times you cook the patties and can basically make a salad of it, and if someone really wanted it on a bun they could get one or make do with bread/toast depending what we had. I suppose you could say it's more accommodating of addons that wouldn't go as well with a finger-food like corn or non-fry potatoes of some sort, but I think it was just a habit we picked up somewhere.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Clocks posted:

quote:

Why don’t you ask them to go in on some non breakable dinnerware together? Then you can put your nicer dishes away and only bring them out for special occasions?

You’re NTA, but you’re probably not gonna get out of this w/o compromising.

OP posted:

That's an idea. I'm child free, so not sure what to expect from Kari. I'll ask Jake about that tonight. It will suck not having nice dishes anymore though.

hm yes, being a dumb loving doormat is probably the best solution here

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

big dyke energy posted:

https://twitter.com/andreagrimes/status/1674477660326576128?s=20

I love to make delicious hamburgers for my child and her friends :) (without salt, spice, fries, condiments or bun)

Somebody put this woman in food jail.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
AITA for telling my hookup “did you want me to act like I liked you?”

quote:

I(21F) met this guy(24M) and told him “I’m just here for sex. Nothing more.” And he was okay with that, so we went home together. I’ve heard through the grapevine how big of a player this guy is, so I immediately set this boundary so I didn’t get attached and hurt.

He invited me to a party, after 2 weeks of us being involved, and the other people there could tell we had something going on, even though we both kept a respectable distance and weren’t all over each other.

Towards the end of the night, while he flirted with other chicks there, I was getting ready to go home and he followed me out, saying he’d never met anyone quite like me.

I was a little irritated at this point. I felt confused because of how quickly he switched up on me, from everybody at the party knowing we were involved, to having another girl sit on his lap and only talking to me once that crashed and burned.

I responded “honest? You know why I came, and I’m a little annoyed you’re treating me like a backup option.”

Some more babble about how honest i was, followed by “Normally girls fight for me if they want me. You’re just leaving”

This is where I might BTA. I was very mad at that statement, seeing as I will return whatever energy I get, and I took it as him wanting me to be all over him and fight for his attention when I simply won’t do if I’m not also receiving it. If he wants to flirt with other girls, go ahead, but I won’t sit and wait for you to finish.

I said “It’s not worth fighting for if you are going to do it anyways. Did you want me to act like I like you?” I regretted it as soon as I said it. It was overly hurtful, and truthfully, I would like him if I knew he wasn’t one of the biggest players in our town. His face dropped and he got the most hurt expression. I didn’t apologize in the moment. I was shocked I had even said it and didn’t think it’d hurt his feelings, seeing as he has a girl on his lap 20 minutes prior.

He sent me a voice memo when I got home saying I was using him and he didn’t like feeling like that. We have barely spoken since, even when I saw him in person. I apologized and explained that I want to protect myself emotionally and not get attached because I know he’s with a different girl every week, and he said “i understand”.

I have never hurt somebody like that before. He’s not a bad person, and now that we aren’t talking, I miss him. I won’t go out of my way to message or ask to hangout because I know he probably would say no. I just miss the light, fun, casual, thing we had going for us.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Clocks posted:

You still aren't married to this man, get rid of them both.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Cowslips Warren posted:

"How dare you make us face consequences for our actions!"
Imo telling the kid and then jetting was, in fact, the right move. gently caress em, they can deal with the mess they've deliberately avoided doing anything about for 14 years, enjoy the fireworks from a beach with drink in hand, OP.

For his part the kid took the news remarkably well, too- immediately identified the guilty parties, didn't blame OP or their mom, seems to get why she acted that way now. "Told him before he was ready"? Seems he was ready to me.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 30, 2023

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling my hookup “did you want me to act like I liked you?”

Her only mistake was regretting anything and apologizing

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Kurieg posted:

AITA for denying an older woman shelter from a storm?

Eh, NTA. That's sketchy af and the lady didn't even go "I know this is weird, but I need a ride, can you drop me off at the gas station so I can shelter somewhere while I wait for a friend to pick me up" or offer money or anything. Just straight to trying to climb into another person's car.

And then just walking off and ignoring the OP afterwards makes it even weirder.

haveblue posted:

Yeah this post feels like it should be read out over a campfire with a flashlight under your chin

It really does, yeah.

Nebrilos posted:

I'm a bit surprised that this thread is so universally on OPs side here. In previous posts about men not wanting their girlfriends to pose nude for figure drawing, say, the men were mostly derided as overly controlling.

OP laid it out as a clear boundary, and the gf had agreed to it. On top of that, there were options for thr gf to cool off that didn't require getting naked, and literally no one else in the group went skinny-dipping. This makes it seem like the gf just wanted to be naked around one or more people she'd previously slept with, which is a pretty understandable thing to be bothered by.

Kuros posted:

You still aren't married to this man, get rid of them both.

It's a super easy solution, since he's just standing by and letting his daughter destroy all of OP's nice dishes and apparently moved his adult daughter into her home really soon after he moved in.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know how you are ANY cooler by putting your bits and nips out than you are in a bikini. It's a negligible amount of clothing, and it's soaking wet. That reasoning is weak as hell.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

AITA For Not Letting My Sister Walk Down The Aisle At My Wedding

quote:

I, (29F) am getting married to the love of my life (30M) in a few months. We were highschool lovers, and childhood friends. He’s truly my best friend and everything I want in life. However, we both decided to wait until we were well off to be married, so we could have our once in a lifetime magical moment.

My sister, “Stacy” (21F) got married at 19 to someone who I like, but I’m not super close with. They were together for 5 months before he proposed. Their wedding was rushed, and half our family couldn’t even make it because of how soon it was planned and set up.

It was small, and just in a courtroom. No dress, party, etc, just a legal wedding.

However, my wedding is around 19K, and we haven’t even finished everything. It took us ages to set everything up, and save.

Stacy recently came up to me while coming over (were close, and have dinner once a week at my place) and asked if she could walk down MY aisle and meet her husband, so she could “feel like a bride”.

I laughed and asked if she was serious and she was…

She claims she never got her magic moment, and just wants to feel special once. But… it’s MY wedding and MY special day, she had hers. Stacy claims it will only be between us, and it won’t take away from me, but then I asked what she might wear and she showed me pictures on her phone of WEDDING DRESSES. Hard no for me. She then asked AGAIN yesterday in front of my fiancé, and I think it was an attempt to pressure me, he laughed and said no, thinking it was a joke, like I did the first time.

My mother and Stacy’s husband say I’m being an rear end in a top hat because Stacy still isn’t rich, so she can’t afford another wedding even if she wanted one, but neither are me and my future husband. We just planned for YEARS. I just wanted one day for myself, but maybe I’m blowing it up because she never got the “bridal experience”

GIVE ME YOUR WEDDING

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Bruceski posted:

My family did that even before my mother developed gluten issues. Sometimes we'd do buns but other times you cook the patties and can basically make a salad of it, and if someone really wanted it on a bun they could get one or make do with bread/toast depending what we had. I suppose you could say it's more accommodating of addons that wouldn't go as well with a finger-food like corn or non-fry potatoes of some sort, but I think it was just a habit we picked up somewhere.

When I was a kid, we only had buns for our burgers if we were grilling out. Otherwise, they were basically like individual fried meatloafs that you'd eat with a knife and fork, with a side of canned green beans and maybe some ketchup. (And a slice of bread-with-margarine on the side, because Food Pyramid.) I had no idea this was uncommon.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Those are rissoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

wheatpuppy posted:

When I was a kid, we only had buns for our burgers if we were grilling out. Otherwise, they were basically like individual fried meatloafs that you'd eat with a knife and fork, with a side of canned green beans and maybe some ketchup. (And a slice of bread-with-margarine on the side, because Food Pyramid.) I had no idea this was uncommon.

We did meatloafs like that a few times as a kid and now that I'm an adult I love doing it that way. Make a few baseballs and I can just have one for a meal and toss the rest in the fridge. Really helps with portion management, something I have difficulty with in "just one more slice" situations.