Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

not answering your question, sorry, but i own this and wanted to get into it but could never get past the learning cliff overhang. there any sort of newbie guidance you'd recommend reading / watching?

I've played it for 550 hours and I'm still constantly learning things, so it's hard to look back and know what's most important for someone new. There's a solid official guide on Steam here that covers the basics:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1793195628

The later sections in particular (starting with Mastermind) are more useful gameplay tips, while the first half is just the basics of how everything works. I personally found it easier to learn through immersion and/or by asking my teammates for suggestions but that's just the way I learn, so the advice below can mostly be considered "how to survive well enough to keep up, and therefore learn"

Right now is a good time to learn playing Casual mode, because there's a game mode in effect which heavily incentivizes leaving Autosend on for your mercenaries. Knowing when to save vs. send (and coordinating it with teammates) is one of the most complicated parts of the game, and right now you get lots of bonus gold every wave if you never save, so you can focus entirely on the unit matchups.

(These bonus game modes get voted on by the players on a game-by-game basis but this one is incredibly popular so it gets voted in every match)

I'd avoid playing with the pre-made factions too terribly much, they're all well balanced for the singleplayer campaign stuff but multiplayer largely revolves around the 8 different Mastermind styles, which get random rolls every match from the entire unit pool, and each one has various takes on rerolls throughout the match. Playing Mastermind will force you to learn all of the units and how they synergize together. I could probably write thousands of words about the units and synergies.

If you're worried about how many workers to build, an easy groundwork to start with is to spend all of the gold that you earn during the waves on workers, and spend your after-wave income on units (but don't overbuild, if you're above the recommended value then buy more workers instead). This will fall behind in power if you're not clearing waves, but it's a real powerhouse when you do clear them - and leaving Auto-Send enabled (like the current casual game mode incentivizes) will maximize your income automatically.

Click around the buttons visible in-game to open up some helpful in-game guides, like a chart showing what damage types are effective against what defense types, a preview of the damage/defense types and special abilities of upcoming waves, DPS charts for your units.

Also there's https://legionlord.com/statistics which is very helpful to have open while playing Mastermind. The Openings tab in particular is incredibly helpful for showing you strong first-wave openings, which is probably the single most important thing to know (without a strong opening you'll fall increasingly far behind), and using the Units tab to see what units high-ranked players prefer (you can filter by rank in the top right) is helpful for getting a feel for good builds/synergies. But I also got to a high rank while heavily favoring some units that higher-rank players don't, so feel free to put your own synergies together.

edit: When selecting units as a Mastermind style, try and get either a Swift tank and a Fortified tank, or a Natural tank and an Arcane tank. That way, your tanks' weaknesses will be the strengths of your other tanks, so you're never "weak" on any wave.

Also I'm happy to answer any specific questions!

edit: One final thing to add - if you're looking up Youtube videos or guides to learn, make sure they're as recent as possible. The devs are very active with balancing the game and they do overall a great job keeping all of the units useful within their niche, but this can mean that specific strategies outlined in older videos will no longer work the way they do in the video.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Went kind of nuts for this Steam Sale, but I've been such a minimalist IRL spender recently that I figured I could afford some Unrestrained Summer Fun: Skul/Dead Cells/Sayonara Wild Hearts from reciprocity gifts as a result of riding the Steam Train (which is always fun and should be checked out if you want to enable your buying addiction by proxy instead of directly), Conquests of Elysium 5/Warhammer 40,000: Darktide... and Legion TD 2 which you guys sold me on at least giving a whirl. I'll certainly be busy for a while!

(Don't worry, I already have the thread's other recent darling, Satellite Reign, from when they were giving it out for free.)

Jossar fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 30, 2023

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Which sadly means you can never play it.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Jossar posted:

Went kind of nuts for this Steam Sale, but I've been such a minimalist IRL spender recently that I figured I could afford some Unrestrained Summer Fun: Skul/Dead Cells/Sayonara Wild Hearts from reciprocity gifts as a result of riding the Steam Train (which is always fun and should be checked out if you want to enable your buying addiction by proxy instead of directly), Conquests of Elysium 5/Warhammer 40,000: Darktide... and Legion TD 2 which you guys sold me on at least giving a whirl. I'll certainly be busy for a while!

(Don't worry, I already have the thread's other recent darling, Satellite Reign, from when they were giving it out for free.)
It also confirms that at least one of the ones you purchased will be in the Humble Monthly on Tuesday.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Wanted: Dead has been on my wishlist for a while because I'm a sucker for ninja gaiden, but I also know that it's hard hosed and has tons of problems. For those of you who've tried it, what's a good price to wait for- 19.99? 9.99?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

ZearothK posted:

I need takes on Angels Fall First.

im pretty sure the dev abandoned this title

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

ZearothK posted:

It's a multiplayer shooter that peaked at 8 concurrent players today while on sale for under $10

e: Also yeah, it's an Early Access game that hasn't received a single update or piece of news since the Steam News Hub launched in December 2020.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 30, 2023

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, how's Stormworks these days? According to a Steam review the latest major update added a heap of bugs - is it currently in a bad way? (Also, is it super complicated to make your own vehicles? I wouldn't mind making a big sub...)

sad question
May 30, 2020

I'll add a dissenting opinion on Yooka Laylee and say I had a good time and no major problems with it. It's p good.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

ZearothK posted:

very cool game that never made enough money for the devs to live off of so they only have time to work on it as a hobby. it has bot support thats pretty decent. the devs are active on discord and there's supposed to be a new update Soon™ but i wouldn't get your hopes up

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's a multiplayer shooter that peaked at 8 concurrent players today while on sale for under $10

e: Also yeah, it's an Early Access game that hasn't received a single update or piece of news since the Steam News Hub launched in December 2020.

it was updated exactly 1 year ago

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
I asked this in the Recommendations thread but got no replies:

I'm looking for a simple, (short?), 2D platformer like Mario or Kirby something where all you really do is run to the right and get powerups and whatnot. No metroidvanias, no roguelikes, no puzzles, just something fun, simple and chill.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zaphiel posted:

I'm looking for a simple, (short?), 2D platformer like Mario or Kirby something where all you really do is run to the right and get powerups and whatnot. No metroidvanias, no roguelikes, no puzzles, just something fun, simple and chill.

Rayman Legends

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Zaphiel posted:

The remake of the original Klonoa games is passable, though you would be better off playing the first one on a PS1 emulator instead if that's not too much hassle (didn't really have any nostalgia for the second game so I didn't play through it). It's competently made but I feel they lost a lot of the charm, especially with the cutscenes being redone in-engine instead of the impressive PS1 FMVs which were much better at conveying cartoonish emotion.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
So is The Void Rains Upon Her Heart like... ever going to come out of EA? I've had my eye on it for some time and it seems to still be getting regular updates, but it's been in Early Access for five years now. I try to avoid EA games unless there's plenty of meat in what they've released, so how feature-complete is it?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So is The Void Rains Upon Her Heart like... ever going to come out of EA? I've had my eye on it for some time and it seems to still be getting regular updates, but it's been in Early Access for five years now. I try to avoid EA games unless there's plenty of meat in what they've released, so how feature-complete is it?

that game has like 100 bosses and is about as feature complete as two finished games combined

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Zaphiel posted:

Maybe Grapple Dog? Not sure whether games like Sonic Mania or Bloodstained Curse of the Moon or Pizza Tower would be a bit too unchill?

Looking for some opinions from goons here as I'm checking out some of my more odd wishlisted games to consider buying:

Toukiden 2: seems cool but there seems to be a lot of port issues? maybe i should just play it safe and get sunbreak
Fear & Hunger 2 Termina: skipping straight to this since I saw a video about the first one that spoiled it: good/bad idea?
Mercenary Kings: interested in the concept of 2D monster hunter/contra hybrid but it sounds like it gets repetitive quickly?
Timespinner: seems like a cool metroidvania, but wondering if I should stick with safer bets like Bloodstained
Dark Light: seems like it had a rough start but it got a major 1.1 update: wonder how it is now?
Little Noah Scion of Paradise: seems cute and fun, is it?

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 30, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

gotta gush about the new rain weather they added to hunt. every few minutes it transitions between light rain and thick pouring rain that keeps you from seeing anyone until they're very close or hearing them even closer, and the sound is :discourse: especially indoors. the devs managed to do it without any performance loss and it totally shifts the tension of a match. been seeing a lot of newer players in matches recently, guess people are dragging their friends in to see the rain and new crocodile boss.

https://i.imgur.com/ujAK9jB.mp4

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Literally only the story is yet to be put in of the planned and roadmapped stuff (the dev likes to put in a lot of unplanned and unroadmapped stuff) and you'll never reach the existing content barrier before 1.0 comes out even if it takes 5 more years

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Zaphiel posted:

Hwurmp posted:

Rayman Legends

Rayman Legends does have more than a few “escape” sequences/levels where you have to stay ahead of an insta-kill pursuer, essentially an auto scrolling level except faster, but is otherwise full of charm. Even restarting from a death is basically instant.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Jordan7hm posted:

Tape to tape is probably the best hockey game on PC right now. Which makes me sad. It’s good, but I wish NHL 20x was on PC.

I remember seeing videos of that and thinking the whole roguelite framework aspect felt completely unneeded and that I would've been more interested in a game that just tried to recapture the magic of 90s console hockey games like its actual match gameplay seems to.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Zaphiel posted:

Knytt and Knytt Stories

Ynglet

Wuppo

Mandagon

Broforce and The Expendabros

Math Rescue and Word Rescue

Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure

Halloween Harry

Super Win The Game

Giana Sisters

Volgar The Viking

Pink Hour and Pink Heaven and Kero Blaster

Castle of Illusion and Duck Tales Remastered

Omega Land

The King's Bird

Shu

Sonic Mania

Yooka-Laylee and The Impossible Lair

Vibrant Venture

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.dexerto.com/tech/valve-quietly-banning-games-that-use-ai-generated-art-2193830/

Oh nooo...

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

The dev could have just slapped 1.0 years ago and no one would have complained. If you're eyeing this, get it. It's really good.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Ah man I didn’t notice that The Void Rains Upon Her Heart finally, after five years or whatever it’s been, got its first negative review.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Major Isoor posted:

So, how's Stormworks these days? According to a Steam review the latest major update added a heap of bugs - is it currently in a bad way? (Also, is it super complicated to make your own vehicles? I wouldn't mind making a big sub...)

I haven't played it in a bit so can't help with the recent bugs thing but put 65 hours into it before that and it's really fun to make your own boats. Never tried a submarine, just surface vessels and an abortive helicopter (hard) but I would say it's complicated in a good way. Give it a go IMO

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Satellite Reign pissed me off with how it would send enemies to your location even when they weren't alerted. I would infiltrate a base through rooftops and ziplines and suddenly guards that never had multiple ziplines as part of their patrol path would beeline to that location. There were also a lot of combat issues I found annoying, like the way enemies respawned and objects interfered with your characters' aim. Maybe I'll revisit it when I have more patience.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jun 30, 2023

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

How mandatory is the Stormworks DLC? Just some more fun stuff or stuff that makes the game?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Anno posted:

Ah man I didn’t notice that The Void Rains Upon Her Heart finally, after five years or whatever it’s been, got its first negative review.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

deep dish peat moss posted:

ShadowMar posted:

very cool game that never made enough money for the devs to live off of so they only have time to work on it as a hobby. it has bot support thats pretty decent. the devs are active on discord and there's supposed to be a new update Soon™ but i wouldn't get your hopes up

it was updated exactly 1 year ago

buglord posted:

im pretty sure the dev abandoned this title

Yeah, it looks like a very cool game that might scratch my itch for UT Assault mode, but I'll give it a miss for now given its state. Thanks for the replies!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I remember seeing videos of that and thinking the whole roguelite framework aspect felt completely unneeded and that I would've been more interested in a game that just tried to recapture the magic of 90s console hockey games like its actual match gameplay seems to.

Agreed. The run based roguelike stuff is ok but I’d prefer having a GM or season mode.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Reported it because it's just poor craftsmanship, lazy writing. Derivative and outdated. I'm the joke cop.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Not sure if it's true, but it does kindof suck from a solo indie dev perspective.

I doubt they are banning e.g. the Persona 3 or Final Fantasy: Crisis Core rereleases for using AI-upscaled art.

Or games that use DLSS for that matter.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 30, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Solo indie devs will be fine continuing to have to use licensed or original work

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Solo indie devs will be fine continuing to have to use licensed or original work

I am someone who has little art and writing skill, but I enjoy making simple games as a programmer. I do not have money to pay for art and writing or the skill to do it myself. For me AI content is the only way.

Then again I'll probably never make anything sellable, but AI content generation certainly made it a lot more feasible than before.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Out of curiosity how can they tell? Besides the fingers I mean.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

That's why I think it's not true, it's just based on some post on reddit made by a random guy. Well that and the fact that and quite a few published games use AI upscaling or even AI generation (and there are even games right now on steam which are entirely interactive AI generation, i.e. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1519310/AI_Dungeon/).

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Private Speech posted:

I am someone who has little art and writing skill, but I enjoy making simple games as a programmer. I do not have money to pay for art and writing or the skill to do it myself. For me AI content is the only way.

Then again I'll probably never make anything sellable, but AI content generation certainly made it a lot more feasible than before.

If you don't have the rights to the art you're using, you're ripping off the people who actually made that art. If you can't avoid doing that, it's on you.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lol at using AI writing for a game, the quality of prose you get out of even the best LLMs is absolutely dire

No Wave posted:

Out of curiosity how can they tell? Besides the fingers I mean.

there's no surefire way to know but there's giveaways even in the absence of errors like too many fingers, an otherwise low budget game that has 500 detailed character portraits (but only one portrait for each character) is almost certainly churning them out with AI for example

valve doesn't need to enforce it super aggressively, it's more of an rear end covering move while they wait and see how the legal situation ends up settling

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there a good beginners guide for elden ring from the perspective of someone who has never played a souls game or even watched a video on them? Or do I just go for it.

I bought into the hype and got elden ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

repiv posted:

an otherwise low budget game that has 500 detailed character portraits (but only one portrait for each character) is almost certainly churning them out with AI for example

Surely art generators are able to create a series of portraits/poses for each "character", no? I haven't used Midjourney or anything nearly as much as I have GPT, and even that's mostly just to help with code, but I would've assumed it could generate like a full range of "head shots" starting with the same face as the source, as opposed to 3 similar-looking people.