Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Ran into a weird issue with Teams where two users on the same team can't directly message one another. Go into the admin portal, made sure neither was blocked by the other, cleared the app cache date, reinstall, etc etc. Still no success. So I ended up setting up a group chat with myself and the two of them as a temp workaround.

Submitted a ticket through the Teams admin portal after the rest of my team is stumped on what the issue is. I get assigned some random MS365 ambasador tech, who's clearly overseas. Anyways, says he wants to remote into both of the user's systems to see what's going on. Higher ups say yeah go for it. So we setup the meeting to do this. Doesn't show. Calls me like an hour after the meeting was scheduled "Oh yeah, my apologies. I was on my break. Can we do it now?" Tell the guy no, since both users are remote and have hosed off for the day. Decide to reschedule to today. Hop into the meeting to facilitate, doesn't show, doesn't call. Both users are leaving for vacation for the next 3 weeks so lol, no point rescheduling now.

Anyways, my point is that Teams is loving trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

johnny park posted:

:shrug: I suggested Intune/Autopilot and they said they don't like them and they don't work well

lol, redest red flag there ever was

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
presenting the project proposal to go to intune application deployment, think I've got everyone on board enough to just take it over and put "lead intune migration" in resume-speak on some job applications

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think that's a really good step. There's a gap of qualified people doing that work. Too many people think it's still the olden days of having the intern image a machine.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

As a decidedly C student and C student work ethic I have an issue with our new PM that can’t just chill. You’re killing the vibe by wanting to work constantly and excessively while it’s a sorta slow period. It doesn’t mesh with the level of productivity I’ve got going on.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

George H.W. oval office posted:

As a decidedly C student and C student work ethic I have an issue with our new PM that can’t just chill. You’re killing the vibe by wanting to work constantly and excessively while it’s a sorta slow period. It doesn’t mesh with the level of productivity I’ve got going on.

I see you met the PM I worked with at $JOB-3. Mentioning at least 2-4 times a week how he didn’t mind having to pull an all nighter or 2 to make sure we delivered on time. We did not ever pull an all nighter because poo poo just wasn’t that important.

He was extremely micromanaging an experienced and responsible team of only seniors. We basically ignored everything he said and just gave him status updates on what we did. One coworker refused to attend any meetings the PM organized and that drove him nuts. The only thing the guy could do was escalate things he didn’t agree with and backstab people who didn’t do what he said.

Probably the second worst person I have ever been forced to work directly with.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

i am a moron posted:

Goongratulations! That’s a pretty good get for the first job, you’re gonna learn some stuff that is getting abstracted out for a lot of people. Always good to have an edge like that

Dandywalken posted:

that rules. congrats!

Thank you all!

I'm excited, so I'm gonna be antsy in the following weeks while I wait to start.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Iron Rose posted:

No argument there but also if you confiscated 100% of their wealth of every billionaire in the world and forced the sale of all their assets (pretending this in no way impacted valuation of their securities), you can fund US healthcare spending across all sectors for a single year.

this is some epic cart before the horse thinking. what do you think US healthcare spending is based on? lining pockets.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

George H.W. oval office posted:

The best PM I've ever worked with was a ex-high school vice principal. I'm trying to convince the company to exclusively hire ex-teachers as PMs, especially elementary teachers.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Best PM I’ve ever worked with actually endeavored to understand what we were doing, which was being a single source consultant/vendor for a government agency that was privatizing. We had to set their IT up from the ground because their parent org was legally required to eject them from the government org due to Medicare laws. That meant getting all the internal stuff set up + working with a poo poo ton of vendors/ISPs. Not only did he get up our vendors asses on a daily basis, he actually built a good enough relationship with some project manager at the ISP to get techs on site at the times they were supposed to be on a consistent basis. By the end he was tracking down cable runs when we did site cutovers and handling a bunch of Wifi stuff. We also used to regularly have shouting/very raised voices matches about stuff because he hated it when he didn’t understand something and had to like… get angry to process it. loving hilarious dude wish he could be my PM for every project because in eight years and after countless PMs he’s the only one I even remember existing

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

We do a pod system here, so like 5-6 consultants to a PM. I hit the lottery with my PM, we’re both of the Oregon Trail generation and when we’re not talking projects or shop we’re talking Tears of the Kingdom or some other nerdy touch stone.

Gives me enough independence to get my poo poo done, let’s me handle my own schedule. As long as the smart sheet is up to date and everyone is on the same page, he’s happy.

Namaste.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

johnny park posted:

:shrug: I suggested Intune/Autopilot and they said they don't like them and they don't work well

????????????????????????

This is very much not a good sign.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

application meeting went well, I think I managed to bully the team into doing the project correctly (ie. let me do all of it), dabbed on them by having an actual project proposal written out instead of vibes-based email chains, and managed to tell the 70 year old white man that he was wrong on a very simple factual understanding of our current set-up without snapping at him.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tokin opposition posted:

managed to tell the 70 year old white man that he was wrong on a very simple factual understanding of our current set-up without snapping at him.

important skill

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Mustache Ride posted:

The best PM I've ever worked with was a ex-high school vice principal. I'm trying to convince the company to exclusively hire ex-teachers as PMs, especially elementary teachers.

Ours was a person who started as a office admin over the help desk, did some light IT work when busy then joined the PM team when it started taking off. Every project she ran just worked, because she knew which people needed to be watched, and which didn't. But the big thing was she was great at planning, and got every piece where it was going at the end. She did a lot of new sites, and she'd always be one of the people there with the IT group. Not only to make sure they were doing the job, but handled contact with the users.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Handsome Ralph posted:

Ran into a weird issue with Teams where two users on the same team can't directly message one another. Go into the admin portal, made sure neither was blocked by the other, cleared the app cache date, reinstall, etc etc. Still no success. So I ended up setting up a group chat with myself and the two of them as a temp workaround.

Submitted a ticket through the Teams admin portal after the rest of my team is stumped on what the issue is. I get assigned some random MS365 ambasador tech, who's clearly overseas. Anyways, says he wants to remote into both of the user's systems to see what's going on. Higher ups say yeah go for it. So we setup the meeting to do this. Doesn't show. Calls me like an hour after the meeting was scheduled "Oh yeah, my apologies. I was on my break. Can we do it now?" Tell the guy no, since both users are remote and have hosed off for the day. Decide to reschedule to today. Hop into the meeting to facilitate, doesn't show, doesn't call. Both users are leaving for vacation for the next 3 weeks so lol, no point rescheduling now.

Anyways, my point is that Teams is loving trash.

We use WebEx and it's pretty good.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

application meeting went well, I think I managed to bully the team into doing the project correctly (ie. let me do all of it), dabbed on them by having an actual project proposal written out instead of vibes-based email chains, and managed to tell the 70 year old white man that he was wrong on a very simple factual understanding of our current set-up without snapping at him.

Hell yeah :sun:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

BadOptics posted:

We use WebEx and it's pretty good.

We moved to Webex because we bought a bunch of Room Kits and other endpoints, but the intent was only to do things for some integration, so 90% of the product sat unused, as Teams was right around the corner. Its been 2 years and Teams is only just now rolling out. We kneecapped the product for years to make the Teams admins happy.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Was in the valley all week, god I hate it. The weather was nice though skipdogg, it was 56 in SFO when I landed. So many loving teslas and I was kinda shocked about how many buildings apple still owns in cupertino after opening up that spaceship office. You couldn't walk a block without another apple office building.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

jaegerx posted:

Was in the valley all week, god I hate it. The weather was nice though skipdogg, it was 56 in SFO when I landed. So many loving teslas and I was kinda shocked about how many buildings apple still owns in cupertino after opening up that spaceship office. You couldn't walk a block without another apple office building.

Did you get a chance to poop on the sidewalk or no? I know it’s kinda touristy but I’d just hate myself if I didn’t go for it.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Just lmao at the medical chat here

Anyway, I was pretty bummed about my job title/role going more heavily support based, but my manager put me on a pretty high visibility process development project with leadership and A Big Customer so I’ll take it.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

navyjack posted:

Did you get a chance to poop on the sidewalk or no? I know it’s kinda touristy but I’d just hate myself if I didn’t go for it.

That's SF, buddy, down here we just have the police move all the homeless along to elsewhere. Just. Elsewhere. Problem solved!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Out of sight out of all moral consideration as human beings *makes another cryptocurrency that burns 5 trillion gallons of gas for no reason*

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

johnny park posted:

My boss wants to replace MDT in our new PC setup with third-party software that will handle both deploying the image and also installing applications (as a separate process rather than having a golden image with Everything on it). He doesn't want to use Intune/Autopilot. Suggestions? He's pointed me at SmartDeploy to start with

Awhile back, but you can use MDT just for the imaging part, and use something like PDQ Deploy/Inventory to install the programs.

This is ultimately what I landed in at my last gig, since we weren't ready for autopilot/Intune and were already using MDT.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

SyNack Sassimov posted:

That's SF, buddy, down here we just have the police move all the homeless along to elsewhere. Just. Elsewhere. Problem solved!

I didn’t even get to kick over any escooters

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Are there any gotchas when tracking IBM software licenses? They’ve got their own reporting tools, can’t be too bad right?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

strangehamster posted:

Are there any gotchas when tracking IBM software licenses? They’ve got their own reporting tools, can’t be too bad right?

Depends on how they’re licensed. Is it licensed by PVU?

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

skipdogg posted:

Depends on how they’re licensed. Is it licensed by PVU?

I will be sure to ask, I’m looking at a software license manager job interview that’s mentioning IBM specifically and need to ask the relevant questions.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

SyNack Sassimov posted:

after seeing a refugee with her kids sheltering next to a store and giving them some food, I asked my friend if there were any organizations in Palo Alto that could connect her with formula and food.

she answered well, yes, there is, but typically they also arrive with police and physically remove them from Palo Alto. because they are a trap.

truly a cursed, evil, place.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Oh poo poo, if you are in the valley, this place https://www.grandviewsanjose.com is amazing with the views. I'd post pictures but imgur sucks like twitter and reddit

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Our Adobe license cost is going up 20% next month because gently caress you that's why.
I know it's not my money but seriously, how do you justify paying more for Adobe licenses than my entire M365 suite.
When we asked our rep for pricing to get SSO, it was an extra 30%.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Blurb3947 posted:

The job listings on the web site all say that relocating to Madison is a requirement.

Sorry, the health system I work for, not Epic directly.

But you'd have to relocate to Florida, which is probably worse.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
We’re having a great one over here. Everyone in the company gets a text chain from each of their bosses last night to them and all that bosses directs telling them that there are “login and email” issues and that everyone will need to go into an office or store to try and resolve it by connecting to the corporate network. And everyone should cascade it to their directs. This happened from CEO down apparently.

Today, everyone has had their access, passwords, Authenticator, etc. reset. Has to be setup all over again but 22 characters this time, new requirements for Authenticator when it has to be used every time an app is open or you log in, no remembering anything. VPN has been disabled with no ETA and all remote associates are being told to just logout until another update goes out.

Meanwhile, hundreds/thousands of people across the company are getting phishing messages sent to their work email, personal email, and texted. Seems like our whole directory including person email and phone got leaked. All our offices around the world are impacted.

Pretty cool to have some free vacation but holy poo poo it’s gonna be such shitshow of a few days

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Most of my team seams very minory paralyzed on very minor things that for some reason have to flow through our product owner, who is on vacation this week. But the end result is that we're all just kinda... stuck. This seems to happen often, and my manager simultaneously scolds me for not finding work and not writing my own user stories, but also scolds me for... doing that. "Do whatever you want, as long as its exactly what I want you to do, and no I won't tell you what I want from you."

Scaled Agile Framework is going great!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Congrats on the free vacation time 😌

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I did mow my lawn this morning.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Saltpowered posted:

We’re having a great one over here. Everyone in the company gets a text chain from each of their bosses last night to them and all that bosses directs telling them that there are “login and email” issues and that everyone will need to go into an office or store to try and resolve it by connecting to the corporate network. And everyone should cascade it to their directs. This happened from CEO down apparently.

So those emails are legitimate? Seems like an odd way to communicate out a breach.

Does everyone’s personal and cell numbers being hit not suggest it’s a HRIS breach?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Love getting a ticket where a user is like "I ASKED FOR THIS A RECORD 2 MONTHS AGO WHY ISN"T IT DONE" and cc's all the bosses and the dipshit gave us the wrong IP on the initial ticket.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Love getting a ticket where a user is like "I ASKED FOR THIS A RECORD 2 MONTHS AGO WHY ISN"T IT DONE" and cc's all the bosses and the dipshit gave us the wrong IP on the initial ticket.

I had something like this a month or two ago. This guy and his team wanted access to <folder> and also all new folders created in that directory going forward. They were kind of dicks about it and didn't seem to understand that the IT team just pushes the button and does not decide who does and does not get access and that we have to wait for approval. Their request is approved, etc etc, whatever. A week or two later, one of the members of said team submitted a ticket and copied his boss and his boss' boss and my boss saying that he STILL does not have access to <folders> even though the request was approved, why hasn't it been done, so on and so forth. The dipshit hadn't accepted the folder invitations. We can login to users' cloud folder access accounts from the admin portal, so I did that, took a screenshot of all the pending invitations, and replied with the screenshot and a link to a guide on how to accept folder invitations and closed the ticket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Cyks posted:

So those emails are legitimate? Seems like an odd way to communicate out a breach.

Does everyone’s personal and cell numbers being hit not suggest it’s a HRIS breach?

They are texts from all of our bosses. Everyone in the company lost access to their computers over the weekend because of what appears to be security resetting everyone's passwords and then locking VPN behind many new security checks.

Our Security team has communicated absolutely nothing about this. There has been no company wide email. There are just text chains from leaders and then every building on campus has physical signs posted everywhere telling you where to go to set your computer back up.

I would think it's a HR breach as well because of all the personal cell and email phishing. That could also just be a linkedin scrape or leak too though.

We are not a small company. Field associates are not impacted because they are on a different domain but all of our corporate associates are (5-10k). Corporate associates who are remote are just getting a nice vacation because the VPN is blocked and they've been told not to even try to use it until they get different communication.