Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Good thing the big Craftopia update just came out, and its Perfect on the Deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

Always take unacceptable performance with a bit of salt. People said the same thing about dead space and Horizon Zero dawn and I beat both on the deck with zero issues

Dead Space was unplayable for like 24 hours at launch but it’s been fantastic since.

I should grab HZD for on the go robot shenanigans but I’m afraid I’m too comfy with Forbidden West’s updated combat.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Talorat posted:

The latest Zelda is a great example of why fps isn’t as important as people pretend because yeah, I noticed the FPS was pretty bad in the first few hours, but by the time I had gotten off the tutorial island I was having so much fun and was so immersed I literally didn’t even see it anymore.

Would I rather play a version of TOTK that got 144 fps and ran at 4K? Yes of course! But I chose to play Zelda rather than any game that could hit those benchmarks because it was fun

same!
Im praying whatever nintendo makes next launches with a Tears of the Kingdom DX

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ordered a Steam Deck for the wife, since they’re on sale and she has been coveting mine. She’s perfectly fluent with your average computer stuff but is not what I would call a “tinkering” sort of nerd, so I’m interested to see how she gets on.

Going to have to buy second copies of a lot of games, though, since we rely on Family Sharing so much right now.

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

If you bought the deck in the last two weeks they'll credit you the difference. Put a ticket in and three hours later they had it in my steam wallet.

Loving my system so far, going to get a big sd card this weekend. Biggest complaint so far is KOTOR not working out the box.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I may have already posted this question, but I'm phone posting and :effort:

I installed Diablo 2 Remastered.

1. Is there a way to make the font even a little larger?

2. Is there a recommended control scheme?

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Upsidads posted:

They list that Hogwarts game as deck playable is that true?

Was definitely playable and I could get pretty consistent 30 with no juttering or frame dips. On medium settings Or a consistent 40 with some dips during combat, big effects, flying. Etc. This was back a couple months after release so I can't say what it's like today, but I would HOPE it would be better or at least stayed the same and didn't get WORSE.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 30, 2023

Bumfluff
Jun 19, 2008

Bumfluff!
It's me, Mabel!
I'm looking at you through the av!
Right here!
This is my voice!
I'm talking to you from inside!

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Hey, I am in the same boat - bought a 512GB model last Wednesday and I reached out to Steam support. Just got a message confirming basically this, they said they -

Will keep an eye on my wallet for now but I'm super hyped.

I got this message too, very happy. Like some one else said the difference would just be spent on games anyway.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

faantastic posted:

If you bought the deck in the last two weeks they'll credit you the difference. Put a ticket in and three hours later they had it in my steam wallet.

Loving my system so far, going to get a big sd card this weekend. Biggest complaint so far is KOTOR not working out the box.

Hell yeah, I bought my 512 last Monday. Just opened a ticket (had no idea what category to open it in, just did one for the Steam Deck in general), eagerly awaiting good news on a partial refund.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, like people complained about the performance of Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity on Switch, calling the game "unplayable" but I thought it was fine?

It's one of the few games to give me a real headache. The first level is particularly bad but then it gets better. The issue isn't so bad if you stick to handheld or emulate the game instead.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
What's the most exotic thing you got running well on Deck?

Mine's the original Deus Ex. With the steaminput options it felt more comfy than kb+m with touchscreen inventory tetris.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yeah I bought a deck 10 days ago and got credit for the difference even though they made sure to tell me this is not policy and they’re making an exception. Sure buddy!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yuzu has better performance at this point.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Annath posted:

I may have already posted this question, but I'm phone posting and :effort:

I installed Diablo 2 Remastered.

1. Is there a way to make the font even a little larger?

2. Is there a recommended control scheme?

Not sure about the font but the default controller one worked perfectly for me.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Hey, so I've got a random and extremely annoying issue with my new Deck (512GB version).

I've installed a handful of games on the internal SSD since I got it. And since I've got it, there have been two system updates (I'm on the stable branch). And after BOTH of these updates, all of my installed games will queue themselves up for a complete redownload each time.

What the gently caress, how do I stop this, because presumably system updates are going to happen all the loving time?

Edit: spoke too soon... even though it queued up updates for literally every game, it only had substantial downloads for two of them, and both were pre-cached shader things. It just so happened that the pre-cached shader download for Dave the Diver (fantastic game btw) was literally as large as the entire game itself.

Drone fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 30, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

are you sure you're looking at the download size and not the install size?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It's a shader cache update, they're small but it will queue lots of games at once.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

quote:

Disabling Secure Boot doesn't always "stick" on the Ally, though, as seen in many Reddit and Discord posts. The most reliable way to make the change stick is to delete some or all of the signed keys loaded onto the Ally's firmware by Asus and other vendors. Once you do that, you'll trigger a BitLocker lock-out in Windows—and unless you installed that Windows yourself, you likely don't have the encryption recovery key to restore it.

🤪

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Is there good info out there for running games through DOSBox? I tried following this guide on PC World, but I'm messing something up.

I'm trying to get my GOG copy of Strahd's Possession to work & get consistently stuck at a format error when I try and execute the .sh

the .sh is set up as in the PC World guide, but points to RLOFT.BAT

I'm also wondering about pointing it to the config file, because the GOG version needs to mount game.gog as the CD.

I tried Heroic launcher as well, but it won't run & I'm guessing the exe version of DOSBox is the issue. Steam version of Strahd's Possession runs fine, but the music won't play.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm gonna need to find a good controller setup. I want to play ETS2, but when I attempted in October when I first got my deck, I was lost. I could probably rig something up now. Any recommendations?

If you're using the deck then the official one is pretty good iirc. If you're using the steam controller then I just set the back paddles to shift up/down and then the rest is official setup. I don't have any wheels or anything like that unfortunately due to space problems (I totally would if I had the money/space).

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Nancy posted:

Is there good info out there for running games through DOSBox? I tried following this guide on PC World, but I'm messing something up.

I'm trying to get my GOG copy of Strahd's Possession to work & get consistently stuck at a format error when I try and execute the .sh

the .sh is set up as in the PC World guide, but points to RLOFT.BAT

I'm also wondering about pointing it to the config file, because the GOG version needs to mount game.gog as the CD.

I tried Heroic launcher as well, but it won't run & I'm guessing the exe version of DOSBox is the issue. Steam version of Strahd's Possession runs fine, but the music won't play.

Install EmuDeck and run Retroarch. It has two dosbox cores to choose from for compatibility, and tweaking settings on a gamepad is a breeze. You don't have to leave the gaming mode.

Also Lutris will run your DOS games.

E: if you absolutely want to do this manually via stock DOSBox, from that screenshot it seems the command's wrong. Did you include the shebang? #!/bin/sh

Vic fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 30, 2023

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Vic posted:

Install EmuDeck and run Retroarch. It has two dosbox cores to choose from for compatibility, and tweaking settings on a gamepad is a breeze. You don't have to leave the gaming mode.

Awesome thanks! I didn't know Retroarch had DOSBox cores, will give that a try.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Vic posted:

ProtonUp also has a DOS compatibility layer option

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I kind of love shader cache updates. It's like 'ooh, my game is likely going to run smoother now".

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I kind of love shader cache updates. It's like 'ooh, my game is likely going to run smoother now".

I’m going to end up rebuying cyberpunk just because of this

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Vic posted:

What's the most exotic thing you got running well on Deck?

Mine's the original Deus Ex. With the steaminput options it felt more comfy than kb+m with touchscreen inventory tetris.

I keep thinking about installing Deus Ex because people keep talking about Deus Ex. I think mine might be Final Fantasy 13 which requires all the FF13Fix patches to really run. Sadly FF13-2 seemed like a bridge too far because after first boot it just wouldn't recognise any controls.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
That's probably for the best

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

the Ally stays winning

https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/1674173930465275907

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m going to end up rebuying cyberpunk just because of this

maybe I'll boot it up again I dunno it seemed a little bland the initial story was cool but I lost a bit of interest

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

weird, mine must be defective as this didn't eject it and it reads

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

the psp twist is back baby!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQslpasIsx0

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 30, 2023

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Gerstmann is a moron so I place the blame on him as much as I do the Ally sucking.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Man the psp was so ahead of its time look at that screen!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The psp screen was loving amazing

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
how do you play with flick stick and gyro in your first person games? I know how to set it up in the controller layouts, but I'm not sure about thee mechanics of how you actually play with it. Is the idea just that you can circle around the edge of either the trackpad or joystick to smoothly control turns (while also snapping to face any direction); like are you just constantly snapping as you walk around for every turn, or are you just always holding the stick up and rotating to change your view. I know it's named flick stick, but is it better on the stick or track pad?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi posted:

It’s really frustrating that the deck won’t download updates while asleep. It’s my one and only real disappointment with it.

I went to play elite dangerous last night and, nope, 50gb update

It really should be smart enough that if it’s plugged in and asleep, it updates. I get why it won’t on battery but there is no excuse when plugged in.

So, update to this, because I spent two pages bitching about it.

Apparently if you go into desktop mode and open steam, it will start the updates and keep the deck awake for the whole thing? I just downloaded all of elden ring in one shot this way.

When did that start happening?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sigher posted:

Gerstmann is a moron so I place the blame on him as much as I do the Ally sucking.

Jeff Gerstmann is still a threat

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MarcusSA posted:

Not sure about the font but the default controller one worked perfectly for me.

Yeah there's not really much you can do with it. I enabled back buttons and have sprint, switch weapon, and two of the potions duplicated there since I hate clicking joysticks and potioning while moving is difficult. Otherwise, all your hotbar stuff you can configure as you like in the default scheme anyway.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Beve Stuscemi posted:

So, update to this, because I spent two pages bitching about it.

Apparently if you go into desktop mode and open steam, it will start the updates and keep the deck awake for the whole thing? I just downloaded all of elden ring in one shot this way.

When did that start happening?

Hasn't this always been a setting in the OS? Can't remember where it is but iirc I'd set the same option a while ago when I was copying a ton of files off to my sd card, perhaps they changed the default?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That could be. I don’t remember ever turning that on