Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

PantsandCola posted:

Should I get Fear and Hunger??

I was pondering this myself. at $5 I think it's worth finding out if there's actually more to it than its uncanny ability to appeal to people who think watching human centipede makes them a big boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Best part of Chained Echoes is the mech combat because it's a more linear progression than the million fiddly little bits that make up whether your regular party is optimized.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
IIRC the droprate for black knight weapons was a lot higher in the remastered version

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

the milk machine posted:

omg brotato is incredible

it is visually specifically designed for me to not want to look at it at all

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Nix Panicus posted:

Any other Chained Echoes opinions? I was seriously considering this for a 'classic' RPG fix, but Im also not opposed to just playing another XCOM campaign

Decent but less than the sum of its parts. I do think it's a very good showing for solo dev.

It does kind of just cram Xenogears, final fantasy, Chrono trigger, and a bunch of other RPGs from that era and end up with a game that's not as good as others. The story starts out strong, gets worse as it goes.

I think it's worth 20 dollars

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

PantsandCola posted:

I have great news, you don't even need a video game for that!!!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Alright Battlebit is fun as hell to turn your brain off and throw yourself into the chaos, feels real good to get some kills and drag and revive teammates

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Hubbert posted:

I have great news, you don't even need a video game for that!!!

Hug and Burger

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Al! posted:

it is visually specifically designed for me to not want to look at it at all

yeah the sprites are probably the worst part

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Cuttlefush posted:

claymore and zwei are more ftw for my money tho

ya but those are easy to get and not as stylish

i am using the zwei as a buffable backup for when the BKGS fails me tho

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i also picked the black firebombs gift so i could get the demons hammer at the start to have a strike weapon too

we goin full unga-bunga on this playthrough

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

my bony fealty posted:

Alright Battlebit is fun as hell to turn your brain off and throw yourself into the chaos, feels real good to get some kills and drag and revive teammates

its good until you get into a bad conquest server and then you remember why battlefield is kind of terrible

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the milk machine posted:

yeah the sprites are probably the worst part

i'll wishlist it because i've heard it's great anyway

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

we playing battlebits? finally got it on steam Linux. it works! my kdr is 0.03 right now... but climbing!

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

PantsandCola posted:

The first one is rough around the edges; I'd really only recommend it to Berserk fans (the game's biggest inspiration, by far) and people really into the Call of Cthulhu RPGs. On the one hand, you have a genuinely interesting set of mechanics that forces you to lean into your class's abilities and fight dirty in the same way that Call of Cthulhu/Delta Green requires you handle the various eldritch creatures in those RPGs, as well as a very tense and oppressive atmosphere that matches other great horror games like Alien: Isolation and Silent Hill 2. On the other, the first game has the same problem Berserk has in regards to depictions of sexual violence, in that its often tasteless and gauche. I can recommend the second game with a lot less reservations; the sex stuff is toned down and never crosses the line into being outright poo poo like the first game does, it keeps the same gameplay as the first with less RNG bullshit, and its honestly incredible how different the way you play can be depending on your starting character; certain characters can navigate different parts of the map with more ease than others because they can lockpick or hack electronically locked doors, some start off with an inability to use guns but powerful magic to compensate, and there's one character who is a disabled botanist in a wheelchair (which gives her a lot of disadvantages in combat, but she can use common herbs to craft poisons that do ludicrous amounts of damage).

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Lpzie posted:

we playing battlebits? finally got it on steam Linux. it works! my kdr is 0.03 right now... but climbing!

i think friendscord is going to be playing it because hell let loose is just too much of a dick punching simulator (sadly)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

letting players go anywhere on the map and capture whatever objectives they want sounds cool until you realize that there's a substantial proportion of the player base who would prefer to sit around capping empty points all day so that the "you win" text pops up at the end of a round and sometimes 100 of them wind up in the same server

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Some celestial event. No- no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea

turn off the TV posted:

its good until you get into a bad conquest server and then you remember why battlefield is kind of terrible

do they have a mode like breakthrough? always hated conquest in battlefield, just a bunch of people running around in circles

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

SomethingBeautiful posted:

do they have a mode like breakthrough? always hated conquest in battlefield, just a bunch of people running around in circles

yes they do, but every server lets players vote for the game mode that they want to play and you'll never guess which one is always picked

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Whirling posted:

well dang

one of the first grounded, nuanced assessments of this game I've actually heard, sincere thanks

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Wow look at all these great deals on garbage

50% off garbage, unbeatable

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

PantsandCola posted:

I know nothing about fear and hunger except that one of the enemies you fight is just shirts. like it's a pile of shirts.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Wow look at all these great deals on garbage

50% off garbage, unbeatable

you love it

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Some celestial event. No- no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea

turn off the TV posted:

yes they do, but every server lets players vote for the game mode that they want to play and you'll never guess which one is always picked

that makes no sense why wouldn't you just have separate servers for different game modes and vote for map changes instead

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Strongly considering Final Fantasy 13 for $8

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Strongly considering Final Fantasy 13 for $8

oh yeah that's the stuff

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Al! posted:

i'll wishlist it because i've heard it's great anyway

the gameplay is very fun imo

you could also try it and refund if its not for you; playing for 15-30 minutes is plenty to see what the game is

e: its also currently $4 so very low risk transaction

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
so far i just got arma III, battlebits, and days gone, i dunno if i'm gonna get much else of anything

maybe MK11 for a fiver

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

now that ive broken through on fighting games because of sf6 im peeping mk11 strongly as well

PantsandCola
Aug 17, 2013

you did good... you did good

Grapplejack posted:

I know nothing about fear and hunger except that one of the enemies you fight is just shirts. like it's a pile of shirts.

whoa

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

shirt golem

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

the shirts represent the fear of growing up and having to do the work your parents would do for you

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I last read page 25. Slamming Post and skipping all that to say Harvestella is incredible. I just finished the boss battle and the epilog has been playing for the last hour and I love it. The final boss was the soul of the planet and I got to defeat global warming with the power of friendship.

Final boss has a sick 2 minute long animation that only does 30% of your health. This game is for babies. But it is a Xeno game, so there was a crucifixion when the Cain betrayed the Abels and it is very fun. I fully recommend this videogame.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

RandolphCarter posted:

the shirts represent the fear of growing up and having to do the work your parents would do for you

I find laundry day relaxing you have no power over me monstrosity

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

I last read page 25. Slamming Post and skipping all that to say Harvestella is incredible. I just finished the boss battle and the epilog has been playing for the last hour and I love it. The final boss was the soul of the planet and I got to defeat global warming with the power of friendship.

Final boss has a sick 2 minute long animation that only does 30% of your health. This game is for babies. But it is a Xeno game, so there was a crucifixion when the Cain betrayed the Abels and it is very fun. I fully recommend this videogame.

I'm at the shadow assassin's guild

I'm at the orphanage

I'm at the combination shadow assassin's guild and orphanage

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I just assumed a game called harvestella would be a farm game

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Buck Wildman posted:

I'm at the shadow assassin's guild

I'm at the orphanage

I'm at the combination shadow assassin's guild and orphanage

Isn't that just FF8

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

*looking at resume* you sort of seem all over the place Istina, what are your long term career goals

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
It is. In jrpg terms the farming acts as the main driver for progression and mechanical player power. If you do less farming, you have less money and stuff which makes the dungeon jrpg part harder... But it is a baby game for babies, so it's not like hard to just stumble your way through and do like 8/10 on completion without any guides. If you read a guide you can optimize things for the first year. I just finished story on Winter Day 28 for reference it starts on Fall 1st with 31 days a season.

It is beautifully paced. It is a jrpg and a farming game that respects your time which is RARE. Everything is opt in, there are no actual time pressures, and everything is simple enough to click into place elegantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Epic High Five posted:

Isn't that just FF8