Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
They don't even have the luther facepaint... I can't make LUTHER!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

History Comes Inside! posted:

They don’t seem to, no.

It also means unless you play through it on the highest difficulties any created wrestler you make is hobbled, because you will end up with less points so less skill buys overall.

I finished up a normal difficulty play through and my guy had 52 stat skills, 8 action skills and 3 passive skills which puts me roughly on par with the actual roster ‘job guys’ as far as overall scope of abilities is concerned.

Compared to some actual roster characters from default:

Jobbers:
Scorpio Sky: 45 stat, 8 action, 7 passive
John Silver: 46 stat, 4 action, 8 passive

Main event guys:
Chris Jericho: 70 stat, 7 action, 22 passive
Kenny Omega: 80 stat, 9 action, 23 passive

How does one find out the stats and skills on the various non-CAW wrestlers? I couldn't find a way to check that through the interface?

Also, Hard is, by far, the best difficulty level to try and stat up your CAW. I have no idea how anyone can win enough with a hobbled CAW to make it through Elite mode with more points than you'd get in an easier difficulty with a higher win rate.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

explosivo posted:

I didn't realize there was a free account level for Parsec that could still host, there must be some restriction that makes it suck unless you pay, right? Seems like the paid plans just add a higher quality image maybe?

Update on this, turns out the free version of parsec works way better than steam remote play together and we were able to get a few rounds in tonight. I always assumed you had to pay to get this functionality from parsec but it worked real well.

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?
Ran into a bug on Switch where if I do a heavy kick like a dropkick or enziguri my CAW gets stuck in a standing position and doesn't accept inputs until I'm hit. Seems pretty fun so far despite that, my character just beat Riho for the title on the first Dynamite.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
My favorite bug so far is Yuka would get her signature, knock me over, then totally whiff the splash from the apron in.

She did it like 4 times during the match

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I watched a small streamer start playing the Road To The Elite tonight. He was annoyed about a couple of the customisation details, where things went, there not being choices about where tattoos went, limited options, clothes not going over certain other clothes. The actual wrestling move choice looked good. Most of all it was actually fun to watch him wrestle. He got to grips with the basics quick enough, and then the fights had some real back and forth, high points and near falls. All in all the fighting looked so much fun to play as the player, but for me, the viewer, someone's who's watched people play the WWE games, the fights were actually entertaining to watch.

My favourite bit though is the food thing. Little mini facts about the food that the waitress is making a big deal about that are really simple facts, but she's so enthusiastic about. It was great! And then the wrestler going to look at a mural and declaring it the star of the city. Great stuff.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
So Lance Archer is 10-1 , is the first ever AEW World Champion and is currently on the Death Triangles poo poo list. I'm having fun so far.

God I want a proper, branching HCtP style career mode.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the restaurant stuff feels like such a kenny omega touch but i cant put my finger on exactly what

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Malcolm Excellent posted:

My favorite bug so far is Yuka would get her signature, knock me over, then totally whiff the splash from the apron in.

She did it like 4 times during the match

The noise that she makes when she misses a dive is extremely funny.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mrenda posted:

My favourite bit though is the food thing. Little mini facts about the food that the waitress is making a big deal about that are really simple facts, but she's so enthusiastic about. It was great! And then the wrestler going to look at a mural and declaring it the star of the city. Great stuff.
The DC one annoyed me because while, sure, jumbo slices are a DC thing, in no world is there a sit-down jumbo slice restaurant with wait service. You're lucky if they have a couple stools in a window. Also it's inedible sober, but that's a different issue. Also mumbo wings or half-smokes would be a better local food than "NY pizza but bigger and worse"

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

lol

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

the restaurant stuff feels like such a kenny omega touch but i cant put my finger on exactly what

It just seems like such a wrestler thing. Especially a "modern" wrestler thing. You're travelling across multiple countries. A lot of them are focused on health and aren't as much into the old, "Down as many pills and bottles of booze as you can," thing. They probably work off a bajillion calories a day so the only real thing they can do in the time they have spare is eat.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Took a picture with Powerhouse Hobbs as Orange Cassidy in Austin, two wrestling rivals enjoying a moment together. Feels like a BTE clip in the best way

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

As a South Texan on the border all I can say is loving :lol: and :barf:

This game is really stretching the limits of my imagination.

https://twitter.com/TrevorDame/status/1674399539154010112

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Jiro posted:

As a South Texan on the border all I can say is loving :lol: and :barf:

This game is really stretching the limits of my imagination.

https://twitter.com/TrevorDame/status/1674399539154010112

i was more laughing at the daikatana reference held within

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Creating a move set it seems like a ton of moves have the wrong damage type listed, like a kneebar shows it doing head damage

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I do find some of the music choices pretty amusing, stuff like the Acclaimed and SCU make a ton of sense but then you got themes like Shanna or Michael Nakazawa. Also straight up name dropping Kilynn King and Shanna Evans is wild when they only teamed together once in AEW back in 2020.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 30, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
CHRIS JERICHO'S MODEL AHAHAHAHA ohhhh boy they really used his 2020 body huh, just really shows the night and day difference between Jericho Of The Bubbly and 2023 Jericho. Can't believe that man in is in his mid-50s and looks that good these days

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Testekill posted:

I do find some of the music choices pretty amusing, stuff like the Acclaimed and SCU make a ton of sense but then you got themes like Shanna or Michael Nakazawa. Also straight up name dropping Kilynn King and Shanna Evans is wild when they only teamed together once in AEW back in 2020.

i think they just dumped the entire mikey rukus aew library

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

There will never be a wrestling game that makes tag team matches not the dirt worst.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

F4E is a good game imo, the core game is stupid amounts of fun with friends and I think it only really suffers on the content front while the aesthetics are hit or miss. On a technical front ive not run into any huge bugs and my only major annoyance has to do with
H always on microphone and running epic launcher underneath for some reason.

Testekill posted:

I think its more that besides some guest features Mikey Ruckus was just told to upload alllll of the AEW music folder.

As far as the other stuff it might be dev assets that where made for the game but whose entire package wasnt ready in time or where cut for reasons and instead of tossing it out they left it in because why waste content.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think my character's street clothes are even dumber than the stuff he wears to the ring

I love him. It is me. I'll get photos uploaded in a sec

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Did JR record his lines literally over the phone??? It straight up sounds like he phoned it in, in the most literal sense of the word. There are actual echoes lmao

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

can you just set the music to play the Gunns theme and FTR's theme?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Jonny Nox posted:

can you just set the music to play the Gunns theme and FTR's theme?

you can if you're ok with pavloving yourself

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

whats really weird is the placeholder menu music that was in the build at the convention isnt in the game at all unless im missing it somewhere

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

HonorableTB posted:

Did JR record his lines literally over the phone??? It straight up sounds like he phoned it in, in the most literal sense of the word. There are actual echoes lmao
I've only played a little bit of Road to Elite so far, but all of JR's lines seem to be generic stuff like "Welcome to AEW Dynamite" and that sort of thing, so they probably could've reused existing commentary clips from actual shows and it would've been way better than these recordings.

Or, even better, they could've hired Jawnny Blud to do his terrible yet perfect JR impression.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm having a lot of fun playing

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So, if I buy this game basically just expecting a modern, slightly less feature-rich version of WM2K, it should be fine?

I'd be a little more gung-ho if I knew for certain what the plan for expansions were. Like I know there's gonna be a bit of paid DLC, and that the Stadium Stampede is in the works, but details be sparse.

I'm also a little worried that my memories of Def Jam Fight for New York might result in unfavorable comparisons...

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

That's just what he wears for his entrance, as Maki Itoh plays in the background.

He's shirtless in the ring.

If I can buy a dumb hat and face paint, I might as well use it. Also he's friends with Malakai Black now. Tag matches are painful.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Took my console offline and played a little, and yeah I'd say it's Good, maybe a little threadbare to be selling at the same price as Street Fighter 6 or whatever but if they do in fact give the game good support they're on to something special. The fluidity of the matches is really something I haven't seen anywhere else, and it plays very fast which is always a plus in my book. Love being able to have just a quick smash-up with Hikaru Shida and Ruby Soho. (And the AI seems okayish? Maybe easy to start but there's at least some variance in opponents, Ruby was very strike-heavy, etc.)

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Shinjobi posted:

That's just what he wears for his entrance, as Maki Itoh plays in the background.

He's shirtless in the ring.

If I can buy a dumb hat and face paint, I might as well use it. Also he's friends with Malakai Black now. Tag matches are painful.

I picked the same entrance animation and song bruta

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Majinfoose posted:

I picked the same entrance animation and song bruta

I smell an even better tag team on the horizon

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/JackCrimsonCAWs/status/1674576379529113600

Unexpected but appreciated

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/garrettkidney/status/1674597926696353793?s=20

ConsolidatedLard
Jun 27, 2020
Am I the only one who thinks that this game is...really bad? The actual matches are fun enough, I guess, but once you've played a few they all end up feeling the same.

Roster is just, like, shockingly lacking. No Acclaimed? Nobody from House of Black, other than Malakai? Top Flight, Gunns, Private Party, 2.0, Santana and Ortiz? Hayter? Serena Deeb? Leyla Hirsch? Penelope Ford? Literally everyone currently in the Dark Order outside of John Silver? Sure, they say they'll add to it with future updates but I mean, who knows how long it'll take for anyone who hasn't already been announced to get added. I mean, they made sure to keep in a guy who isn't even with the company anymore and a few people who haven't wrestled a single match on TV in over a year, so leaving out a ton of people who have been with AEW since close enough to the beginning feels especially egregious.

I have the Elite edition, but why do I still have to manually make FTR a tag team? Why is there no voice announcer option for the Hardyz? Why is The Bunny planned for a future DLC, but not the Butcher and the Blade? Why is Keith Lee planned for future DLC, but no word on Swerve, who joined the company first?

Road to the Elite is practically the exact same storyline each time, down to visiting the exact same cities in the exact same order, even though other cities are visible on the map. Three playthroughs with three different characters and they've all followed the exact same beats. Same dialogue for each restaurant, same locations for sightseeing, same wrestler encounters, no attire customization outside of the city based t-shirts, no face/heel turn options, no meaningful dialogue, exact same final matches each playthrough, the Inner Circle and the Pinnacle, two groups that haven't existed in over a year, have come up in each playthrough.

Wanted to like this game and defended it against its many, many detractors, but I can't help but feel like they were right. Pretty disappointed.

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

After getting it running matches are very fun, particularly multi man hardcore stuff that modern WWE games forgot how to make chaotic and entertaining

The Road to Elite mode is kind of boring from what I’ve played, that’s my main problem with it so far. I started a game as Yuka and outside of a few cute scenes with random people here and there it mainly feels like I’m wasting time in between the actual matches. Maybe it’s better with a CAW but creation has always been the least interesting part of wrestling games for me.

Overall I’m still gonna be playing it a lot and I hope we get more content down the line outside of that battle royal thing I’ll probably never touch. Not just new wrestlers but more single player content would be very welcome so I’m not doing random exhibitions forevermore

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

ConsolidatedLard posted:

Wanted to like this game and defended it against its many, many detractors

Could you elaborate on what this means? you should apologize to them.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

My Road to Elite Peter Avalon/Eddie Kingston tag team is endearing, at least.

After a bunch of hours the gameplay is still inherently decent and fun but the content is barebones enough that (unless the battle royal mode takes the world by storm, somehow) I cannot help thinking this game lives or dies in the longterm based on how well it unfucks the CAW system. Without a great singleplayer mode or a multiplayer hook the creation community is the only traditional wrestling game fanbase left, but even aside from the lack of content to make people with, the inability to even have CAWs commensurate with the roster unless you take every single one through career mode at least once is kind of a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConsolidatedLard
Jun 27, 2020

Cavauro posted:

Could you elaborate on what this means? you should apologize to them.
basically it just means that I made fun of a few people on twitter who had handles like "WWENO1_NOTAEW" and "CornetteGetsItRight"