Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Didn't see this posted here yet, but T-54 at the front - what a war.
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1674556888170614785

To contrast, Ukraine put a 30 year old in charge of their state run defense corporation:
https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1674322469790818307

It's kinda insane to be made a director at that age, imagine the career trajectory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Saladman posted:

Ask the North Vietnamese how they did it, maybe.

That conflict ended with South Vietnam eventually being annexed by North Vietnam, so I guess the answer is: "Ukraine should annex Russia and restore the Kievan Rus", which is probably not what you were going for

Russia/Afghanistan would be a better example.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I would like to point out that a few nations operate some pretty fancy synthetic aperture radar satellites that have good resolution, penetrate clouds, and should have absolutely no problem picking up any ship at sea from background.

Those images aren't generally shared with the public, but I'm willing to bet that accurate ship movements are among the intelligence data that is shared with Ukraine.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Libluini posted:

That conflict ended with South Vietnam eventually being annexed by North Vietnam, so I guess the answer is: "Ukraine should annex Russia and restore the Kievan Rus", which is probably not what you were going for

You say this like it might not be a good outcome.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You say this like it might not be a good outcome.

Problem is that Sweden doesn't have a competent prince to send to rule them.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

lilljonas posted:

Problem is that Sweden doesn't have a competent prince to send to rule them.

Greta Thunberg was in Kyiv just yesterday and was appointed to an international committee that studies the environmental effects of the war. In today's world she would seem more competent than any nonce.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

WarpedLichen posted:

Ukraine put a 30 year old in charge of their state run defense corporation:

It's kinda insane to be made a director at that age, imagine the career trajectory.

You could say it's a reverse trajectory from that of this russian bank VP.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

FishMcCool posted:

Zelenskyy just picking him up bodily and hurling him through the window; "YOU'RE CEO NOW"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Infenestration is the word :eng101:

there is also a term 'transfenestration' for more ambiguous situations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Saladman posted:

Ask the North Vietnamese how they did it, maybe.

Well, also, the North Vietnamese had a fairly flexible understanding of what national borders in Laos and Cambodia mean.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
^^^^ Oh, yeah good point. I guess not quite the example I was going for, although they still never bombed the US or any of its Pacific bases and successfully made the US and France pull out.

Nenonen posted:

Infenestration is the word :eng101:

Due to issues with the "in" prefix having two opposite meanings, "infenestration" led to ambiguities with the meaning "not able to be fenestrated." Now it is typical on windows in Russia to see warning labels simply saying "fenestratable".

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Saladman posted:

^^^^ Oh, yeah good point. I guess not quite the example I was going for, although they still never bombed the US or any of its Pacific bases and successfully made the US and France pull out.

I mean, you don't need to when you successfully invade and overthrow the country. So the implication of your response would have been "Invade Russia and take Moscow".

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

FishMcCool posted:

Ukrainians fall up and Russians fall down.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Wasn’t Margarita Simonyan put in charge of Russia TV at that age with virtually no experience (being a spy)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Pillowpants posted:

Wasn’t Margarita Simonyan put in charge of Russia TV at that age with virtually no experience (being a spy)

She became editor-in-chief of newly founded RT at 25, rocketing up from being just a correspondent. Later RT devoured biggest news agency and became what it is today. She was (and still is) a protege of Alexey Gromov, First Deputy Chief of Staff of the Presidential Administration (but basically a Minister of Propaganda).

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

WarpedLichen posted:

Didn't see this posted here yet, but T-54 at the front - what a war.
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1674556888170614785

To contrast, Ukraine put a 30 year old in charge of their state run defense corporation:

Well hopefully it was career trajectory and he's not just some oligarchs failson. This would be a really bad time (not that there ever is a good time) for Ukraine to have their state run defense corporation run by their equivalent of Donald Jr.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Charliegrs posted:

Well hopefully it was career trajectory and he's not just some oligarchs failson. This would be a really bad time (not that there ever is a good time) for Ukraine to have their state run defense corporation run by their equivalent of Donald Jr.

He has a very clean biography with starting just as an engineer at bureau in Kharkiv in 2014. A cynical take would be that he is a face of someone else's interests, but that would need investigations to prove.

Dunno why anyone would consider 30 to be young, thats well into middle age.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 30, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

He has a very clean biography with starting just as an engineer at bureau in Kharkiv in 2014. A cynical take would be that he is a face of someone else's interests, but that would need investigations to prove.

What? 30 is not middle aged. Well, maybe it is in Russia, but here it is understood to be 40-60.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Perhaps America has become such a gerontocracy that the idea of anyone under 60 having any real sort of power or influence has become unthinkable

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

fatherboxx posted:

What? 30 is like, late “young adult” / early “adult” age.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, most people would consider 40 to be the start of middle age, not sure where you got the idea that 30 was "well into middle age".

Consider that life expectancy in most first-world countries is 75, so half-way through your life would be 37.5 years old.

Middle age is where you start to cognitively decline, so an intelligent, relevantly-experienced 30-year-old is likely an ideal candidate for a nationally-vital leadership position. Old enough to know what they're doing, not old enough for their brain and body to start melting.

Gort fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 30, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

Perhaps America has become such a gerontocracy that the idea of anyone under 60 having any real sort of power or influence has become unthinkable

It's not really that, but being in charge of a major public defence contractor during a war is not an easy post. This requires trust even in difficult times, and trust usually comes from connections and previous accomplishments. A 30 year old guy has had decades less time to build buddy networks and act in executive positions than a 50 year old guy.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Lot of 30-somethings ITT not happy about being called middle-aged.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Nenonen posted:

It's not really that, but being in charge of a major public defence contractor during a war is not an easy post. This requires trust even in difficult times, and trust usually comes from connections and previous accomplishments. A 30 year old guy has had decades less time to build buddy networks and act in executive positions than a 50 year old guy.

Buddy networks and connections are two-edged swords, though. You might be owed favours, but you likely owe them too.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

If you divide life expectancy into thirds, then the middle third starts around 25, globally, and the midpoint is around 36.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

I think there is a real element of this. From my reading of history, during WW2 and subsequent years it wasn't uncommon for 30 year olds to be in charge of fairly important functions. Our expectation of people needing to be 60+ to have any real power is a function of an aging society and consolidation of power by older people.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bug Squash posted:

I think there is a real element of this. From my reading of history, during WW2 and subsequent years it wasn't uncommon for 30 year olds to be in charge of fairly important functions. Our expectation of people needing to be 60+ to have any real power is a function of an aging society and consolidation of power by older people.

Yeah, when there's an actual labor shortage because of a war, positions open up. It's even a theme in Hamilton!

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

kemikalkadet posted:

Lot of 30-somethings ITT not happy about being called middle-aged.

I mean, maybe, but it's also definitely not how the term is used in English, unless you're Bob Dylan and it's 1960.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_age

Very surprising, wonder how that will play out. If he was already at the company for a few years and already knows the people it's probably fine. IME it takes at least 1.5-2 years for a director to get their poo poo together even in the medium-sized places I have been (~200-300 people).

I can't find much about his previous accomplishments, except that he is maybe an amateur team ping pong player in Kharkiv:

https://www.tt-kharkiv.com/en/players/smetanin-german-vladimirovich

I didn't try searching in Cyrillic though.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

What? 30 is like, late “young adult” / early “adult” age.

Very strange because at 8 years into the career it is expected to get into a team lead position at least, if not a department head.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

If he's good at what he does and there's a lot of sudden vacancies due to corruption or treason charges then 8 years of experience within same company sounds reasonable.
You would expect failsons and cronies to have couple years experience managing football club or poultry farm, then quickly getting masters degree in finance (totally legit work, don't check with anti-cheat), spend a year as VP and then become head of company.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

fatherboxx posted:

Very strange because at 8 years into the career it is expected to get into a team lead position at least, if not a department head.

This is turning into a bit of a derail but there cannot possibly be enough team lead/department head positions for everyone with 8 years of experience to be expected to have such a position.
Such a place would be insanely top-heavy or just have extreme amounts of title inflation.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
Serious lol at americans having trouble to comprehending somebody being a director at 30.

Signed,
Eastern European poster from a country where third of our prime ministers have been in their 30s.

the heat goes wrong fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 30, 2023

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Like I'm Belgian and I don't think being 30 is "middle aged". I also think it's possible to just be "adult" and have an adult function or role like being head of a department. I'm not shocked that a 30-something is head of anything (although it's good career prospects) but I think it's weird to call him middle aged!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

the heat goes wrong posted:

Serious lol at americans having trouble to comprehending somebody being a director at 30.

Signed,
Eastern European poster from a country where third of prime ministers have been in their 30s.

Yeah, there is a big generational gap thing going on with the change of systems. (Of course oligarchs are often people who had high standing in old system... or in crime after its collapse).

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Kchama posted:

I mean, you don't need to when you successfully invade and overthrow the country. So the implication of your response would have been "Invade Russia and take Moscow".

I think it is an apt analogy, North Vietnam invaded the set up by another country government of South Vietnam, Ukraine will invade the set up by another country governments of Crimea, et al.

On the Laos/Cambodia part. if Ukraine was shipping supplies through Belarus or other country Russia did not really fear reprisals from, it would try and bomb the trucks there as well.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

the heat goes wrong posted:

Signed,
Eastern European poster from a country where third of prime ministers have been in their 30s.

It’s not that weird in the private sector in the US, especially in new and emerging technologies.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Herman Smetanin is 31 and has been the head of two factories, the production director at one, and before that a chief designer. His predecessor Yurii Husiev was only 43 and appointed at age 40 from a political career.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukraine-names-new-head-state-weapons-company-push-reforms-lift-supplies-2023-06-28/
https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/06/26/7408540/
https://en.defence-ua.com/analysis/ukraine_appoints_new_defense_industry_chief_amid_the_war_entrusts_him_with_three_main_duties-7154.html
https://en.everybodywiki.com/Yuriy_Husyev

In terms of professional accomplishments, I found evidence that Smetanin managed the latest modernization of the T-64BV, and the command variant T-64BVK
https://www.thedefensepost.com/2022/02/13/ukraine-modernized-t-64bv-tank/
https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news-detail/ukraine-modernises-t-64bvk

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023
But what if Russia aren't the bad guys? I'm just asking questions...

Tomn posted:

Mind you, I don't think it's usually pretty vital for the Ukrainians to know where any given Russian ship is at every moment, given that the Russians haven't much ability to really threaten Ukraine with them. They'd only want to know where those ships are in order to try and hit them, and if you're going to do that you have the option of sitting back and waiting until conditions are just right for you to go for them.

What a deeply strange question. Why are you asking, and what are you planning to do with the answer? Are you trying to determine what your own ethical viewpoint should be? Are you picking up ammo for a debate with someone else somewhere? Do you just want to see a robust debate over the ethics of educating oneself? In most of these cases but especially the last one, I'd suggest that the "Ukraine current events" thread maybe isn't the best place for this - possibly spin this off into its other thread or something if you really want a cut and thrust about ethical knowledge.

Thank you - I hadn't even really thought about the why. I think it's because I like to try and understand how things work. And I don't understand why so many people I know are so heavily emotionally invested in the Ukraine conflict.

I've looked into, as a complete outsider, and the while the nation state level is simple - Russia invaded, like most war it's got a lot of complexity at the individual levels.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

So, out of curiosity, how does the thread feel about the progress of the counter offensive? Is it successful? How much progress are they making? Is it relatively good or bad news for the Ukrainian military?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cpt_Obvious posted:

So, out of curiosity, how does the thread feel about the progress of the counter offensive? Is it successful? How much progress are they making? Is it relatively good or bad news for the Ukrainian military?

They're doing fine. The goal is similar to the Kherson offensive - put pressure on them and make them fight, then disrupt their logistics so they run out of food/fuel/ammo and run away. It will be slow on purpose.