Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Ensign Expendable posted:

Because then you can't sell them an enormous high interest loan that they use to buy cars.

It is pretty nuts how about many Americans are: working full time, are making good money, don't even have outrageous spending habits, and are essentially in life-time debt servitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/anonymousleftie/status/1673915270199402499

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

thats just good old fashioned racism, the cars are secondary.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Milo and POTUS posted:

thats just good old fashioned racism, the cars are secondary.

like a codependent relationship, car culture enables the racism and racism enables the car culture

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

that's because city boundaries are still drawn the same as in the 1950s, you have to look at "metro area".

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

that's because city boundaries are still drawn the same as in the 1950s, you have to look at "metro area".

yeah thats the car culture

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah thats the car culture

bingo

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

These cities would've expanded over time even without cars, no city (Kowloon excluded) experiences strict infill

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

I don't think anyone is arguing against that

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

These cities would've expanded over time even without cars, no city (Kowloon excluded) experiences strict infill

Pennsylvania passed a law in 1907 specifically to prevent Pittsburgh from expanding via annexation after the city annexed the north shore area. City proper has been 54 square miles since then. lmao

Apr 7, 2003

It is very hard for cities to grow and improve when the state and federal governments have a boner for punishing them because they aren't sufficiently volkish

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Pennsylvania passed a law in 1907 specifically to prevent Pittsburgh from expanding via annexation after the city annexed the north shore area. City proper has been 54 square miles since then. lmao

But the flip side is cities like Toronto that annexed all their suburbs and keep electing city governments full of people who hate the very concept of cities.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Weembles posted:

But the flip side is cities like Toronto that annexed all their suburbs and keep electing city governments full of people who hate the very concept of cities.
To be fair, Toronto never wanted to annex the suburbs. It was forced by the conservative provincial government (Mike Harris), and has successfully blocked so many progressive votes since. Perhaps things are finally changing with Chow elected, but for all I know she'll get stonewalled too.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Colorado had an amendment passed in 1974 that hosed with Denver's ability to annex out into the surrounding counties. The lady who drafted it said it was to prevent the city from "abusing it's status and size", but it was most likely about preventing Denver from pulling in suburban school districts and desegregating them lol

Apr 7, 2003

Greatbacon posted:

Colorado had an amendment passed in 1974 that hosed with Denver's ability to annex out into the surrounding counties. The lady who drafted it said it was to prevent the city from "abusing it's status and size", but it was most likely about preventing Denver from pulling in suburban school districts and desegregating them lol

Allegheny County has around 1.3m people. These are all the separate local governments in the county

These are all the separate school districts

We love our fiefdoms, folks, don't we

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Allegheny County has around 1.3m people. These are all the separate local governments in the county

intranational borders like this caused the French Revolution

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Holy Roman rear end polity

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Greatbacon posted:

Holy Roman rear end polity

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Gripweed posted:

intranational borders like this caused the French Revolution

insh'allah

e: i appreciate the correction

Doc Hawkins has issued a correction as of 20:42 on Jun 29, 2023

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

in sh'allah

I know you mean well, but it's two Arabic words, insha' and Allah, so if you're gonna put in a space, it should be after the auditor m apostrophe, corresponding to a glottal stop, or ء. The full phrase is إنشاء الله

Anyway, for that polity to be truly holy Roman, it needs some good old sovereign dudes. But I guess rich people are above the law, and also above school districts, so that works out I imagine.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

I grew up outside the Pittsburgh city limits but my address still said Pittsburgh cause the post office correctly knows the whole county is Pittsburgh but the stupid city government doesn’t

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

you can put "the moon" for your city on any US address, as long as you have the right zip code for the street address. it doesn't matter

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

usps ftw

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I wouldn't mind being able to get someone at the post office to answer the phone, but I assume they're always understaffed by design

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
3 car accident just outside my house on a 30mph road. First car was slowing down to turn left, another car behind it was also slowing down, 3rd car rammed full loving speed ahead. didn't even slow. I was outside when it happened.

love how great drivers are.

This is the 2nd time already that exact situation has happened --- just this year. I only heard the previous one and confirmed later from seeing the ambulances.

Really cool to have 4 lane roads in residential areas with lots of turn offs into neighborhoods. Its almost like it should be made into a 3 lane with a center turn lane and bike lanes banking it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Gosh sounds like you need some extra lanes for safety

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

you can put "the moon" for your city on any US address, as long as you have the right zip code for the street address. it doesn't matter

I’ve had mail delivered that only managed my name, my street name, and zip code so this checks out.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

3 car accident just outside my house on a 30mph road. First car was slowing down to turn left, another car behind it was also slowing down, 3rd car rammed full loving speed ahead. didn't even slow. I was outside when it happened.

love how great drivers are.

This is the 2nd time already that exact situation has happened --- just this year. I only heard the previous one and confirmed later from seeing the ambulances.

Really cool to have 4 lane roads in residential areas with lots of turn offs into neighborhoods. Its almost like it should be made into a 3 lane with a center turn lane and bike lanes banking it.

I live half a block from a two lane one way road that feeds into the little raised central highway and I frequently hear the sound of screeching tires and occasionally the sound of an impact. It's pretty straight and the combination of zero traffic enforcement and mistimed lights make drivers crazy speeders and red light runners. It sucks so much living near traffic and just knowing that people are determined to kill themselves and others right outside my door is depressing.

On the plus side, folks are pretty used to seeing bicycles on my street and are generally pretty patient with passing until you get farther downtown.

Anyway, I empathize and it sucks

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

A tesla drove itself into a house here in the rear end end of nowhere new york last night. It then exploded and the fire razed the building to the ground

Killed the driver, killed the owner of the house, gave his wife a heart attack so now she gets to suffer as an elderly widow with insane medical debt and no home

cars are dumb and bad. Teslas are worse

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Gunshow Poophole posted:

A tesla drove itself into a house here in the rear end end of nowhere new york last night. It then exploded and the fire razed the building to the ground

Killed the driver, killed the owner of the house, gave his wife a heart attack so now she gets to suffer as an elderly widow with insane medical debt and no home

cars are dumb and bad. Teslas are worse

:smith:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/JohnBauters/status/1674278161012645888?t=BPrbz8ztDhqZIafEQA4aRQ&s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
i hope their tesla explodes

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

i hope their tesla explodes

I'm picturing a pickup because they're thinking the car wouldn't suffer much damage from murdering someone. I'm not sure what I would do in that situation, but I would definitely try to figure out where they parked and slash their tires if I wasn't the mayor

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Mauser posted:

I'm picturing a pickup because they're thinking the car wouldn't suffer much damage from murdering someone. I'm not sure what I would do in that situation, but I would definitely try to figure out where they parked and slash their tires if I wasn't the mayor

it's emeryville. definitely a tesla or a giant luxury SUV

I walked past some of the center bike lane stuff they're doing on Valencia St in San Francisco earlier this week. they have plastic bollards that appear to be velcro'd to the road

and zero ways for cyclists to enter or exit the lane mid-block

lol

https://twitter.com/LukeBornheimer/status/1674461187906637825

corona familiar has issued a correction as of 07:10 on Jun 30, 2023

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

corona familiar posted:

it's emeryville. definitely a tesla or a giant luxury SUV

I honestly don't know anything about California so I'm gonna go with your answer

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mauser posted:

I honestly don't know anything about California so I'm gonna go with your answer

emeryville is like a giant office park masquerading as a small city and where Pixar/stebe jobs is/was, so yes its all rich/wannabe-rich stebe jobs wanna-bes

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.
Some speeders reaping :

In August 2021, a man was caught on a speedtrap going 111km/h on a city street (speed limit : 50 km/h) in Delémont, Switzerland. This week, he was sentenced to 1 year in jail, suspended in favor of a 2 year probation, as well as monetary penalties of 5100 CHF. His driver's licence has also been siezed for at least 2 years (administrative penalties are not public information).

And another 2 cases :

quote:

On Sunday May 7, 2023, at 1:55 a.m., the Vaud Cantonal Police observed a VW Passat passenger car on the A9 freeway at St-Triphon in the direction of Lausanne, travelling at a speed of 238 km/h (231 km/h after deducting the safety margin), instead of the 120 km/h permitted at this location. The driver, a 37-year-old Swiss national, was contacted by the police in the days that followed. He was interviewed in the presence of a lawyer at the Centre de la Blécherette by investigators from the radar office. The Public Prosecutor opened criminal proceedings.

A second major speeding offence was recorded on Tuesday May 16, 2023 at 2:00 a.m. on the A1 freeway between Allaman and Morges Ouest in the direction of Lausanne. A Mercedes-Benz passenger car was checked at a speed of 235 Km/h (230 Km/h after deducting the safety margin) instead of the 120 Km/h authorized at this location. This was also a case of reckless driving. Shortly afterwards, the driver, a 22-year-old Portuguese national, was stopped on the A9 between Belmont and Chexbres for another road safety offence. Taken to the Centre de la Blécherette, an alcohol test showed a level of 0.56 mg/l [Note: this alcohol level alone is criminal]. Proceedings were opened, her licence was seized and her vehicle immobilized. Shortly afterwards, the speed control images were processed by the radar office, revealing the speeding offence committed earlier on the A1. The driver was arrested the following day, when she came to collect her car. She was immediately questioned by investigators from the radar office in collaboration with the traffic unit, in the presence of a lawyer. The Public Prosecutor's Office ordered the vehicle to be impounded and criminal proceedings opened.

[...]

The offence of reckless driving is punishable by a custodial sentence of between one and four years, and the loss of a driver's license for at least two years, in addition to the confiscation of the vehicle used, which may be ordered by the sentencing authority.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It is pretty interesting to see how much Paris has changed in the last few years, admittedly I think a lot of it is just leading up to the Olympics, but at very least Paris is becoming a bicycling city which is pretty impressive for a city of its size. A lot of it is bike lanes and other infrastructure, but also I think even a modicum of respect from even Parisian drivers that doesn't exist in the US even in a "progressive" city like San Francisco. Car culture isn't just about past bad infrastructure choices.

----------

It is also pretty impressive of actually how poor for the environment a lot of electric cars work out to be, and if there is any carbon advantage, it is minimal. To make up the amount of carbon used to create a lithium battery on a Model 3 it is going to take 4 years just over a regular ICE engine. A standard Prius is going to get about 53 combined MPG versus 93 on a Model S but once you take into account the differences in battery size (and the carbon usage and eventually you will have to replace that battery) you could be driving that Model S for years and still be using more carbon. Also as bad petroleum production/refining is, Lithium mining isn't exactly a pretty picture either. I do think eventually it will make sense to gradually to move to electric cars: invest in public transportation/biking/just freaking sidewalks/anything else beforehand.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 10:29 on Jun 30, 2023

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Noosphere posted:

Some speeders reaping :

In August 2021, a man was caught on a speedtrap going 111km/h on a city street (speed limit : 50 km/h) in Delémont, Switzerland. This week, he was sentenced to 1 year in jail, suspended in favor of a 2 year probation, as well as monetary penalties of 5100 CHF. His driver's licence has also been siezed for at least 2 years (administrative penalties are not public information).

And another 2 cases :

Driving over 200 kph on a public road while drunk and you lose your license for 2 years... Nobody really gives a poo poo about road safety or reducing collisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/dannolan/status/1674301949280391170