Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I still love writing software, but that is really not the same thing as loving being a professional software developer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, 4th toucher at a company is much closer to that than 2,616th toucher at a company

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

computer touching at bigco sucks but not really any more than any other office job (in fact, a lot less than most), and most other office jobs don't pay a quarter+ mil a year. goes a really long way toward financial independence in relatively short order. i'm not some pauperish FIRE dweeb, but financial independence is freedom.

i do still like working with code and solving problems and mentoring and leading younger devs, that's not the part of the job that is burnout inducing. but staff/tech lead means i have to chew on bigger more ambiguous problems and deal with project management garbage and coordinate across ever-shifting business priorities and reorgs and navigate years of tech debt and bad decision making at the org level and all that other poo poo. that's where the burnout and frustration comes from, but i dunno i just have a certain zen about how perpetually hosed it all is.

some day soon-ish i'd like to find something small again, but not some venture-backed startup shitshow. until then i'm riding out these golden handcuffs a bit longer and stacking fu money until the right opportunity presents itself or i get laid off

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
As far as office jobs go, it's one of the best honestly.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I enjoy most of the practical parts of software development, including talking and coordinating with other people across different projects.

The lovely parts are when management starts making up deadlines based on what they wish, rather than on anything realistic, and instead of taking responsibility, try to make it your fault when that doesn't work.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

For sure, the idea of trying to make a living off of, say, woodworking, is also distressing. These days I'm mostly just very tired.

Pretty sure you have to go through computer touching to get into woodworking these days.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Xarn posted:

The lovely parts are when management starts making up deadlines based on what they wish, rather than on anything realistic, and instead of taking responsibility, try to make it your fault when that doesn't work.
For me, it's when they make a timeline and spend half of it pushing meetings with other managers to resolve speed bumps because the other teams we're supposed to work with are ghosting us because their managers are telling them to prioritize other stuff. Then, when the managers finally meet and get those teams to respond to us, we have only 25% of the original timeline to get the work done, and then they decline to re-evaluate the timeline expectations because they're already busy planning the next Quarter's commitments.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
It's really funny when people's solution to a deadline is being tight is "let's have some meetings about it" or "let's pull more people into this"

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It's an excellent way to distribute blame if you already know you will fail to reach the deadline. That's the only thing my previous boss taught me.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I like bigco because there's usually plenty of opportunity to move around and there's always at least a few pockets that aren't dysfunctional.

Xarn posted:

I've found that having a visual timeline with estimates helps keep them honest. "Oh you want to do this new work? Show me on the timeline where you're taking the resources from." Emphasis on "helps", because I don't think they can help themselves from trying to eat their cake and have it too.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

luchadornado posted:

I like bigco because there's usually plenty of opportunity to move around and there's always at least a few pockets that aren't dysfunctional.

Ahhh sorry friendo, we noticed that you aren’t pulling 100% during our Troubles of the ‘20s, so we’re gonna have to put you on an improvement plan. Oh by the way you can’t change teams. Sorry!

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

prom candy posted:

It's really funny when people's solution to a deadline is being tight is "let's have some meetings about it" or "let's pull more people into this"

"Management is having so many meetings, I'm surprised the project isn't already done!"

The best is when I estimate a project as 6 months, then 2 months later the project starts and they hold me to the original timeline so I have 4 months.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

StumblyWumbly posted:

The best is when I estimate a project as 6 months, then 2 months later the project starts and they hold me to the original timeline so I have 4 months.
Are you me?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Are you currently dying in a meeting about bushing materials, a subject you actively refuse to learn about because it has no bearing (I think that's a joke? idk) on your actual job.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

prom candy posted:

I offer to purchase The Mythical Man-Month for anyone above or across me and have been doing so for the better part of twenty years. Don't think it's worked one god drat time but I've gotten some interesting books in return so :shrug:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
books are 10 bucks, peeps time is 50-25000 per hour so...

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

prom candy posted:

When things get tight, I add another task for meetings into the current sprint and then add work hours to it with each meeting. The logged work also has notes of the meeting, whether I attended it by choice or I was pulled into it, who pulled me in if I was pulled in, and the related bug/task (if there is one). It is easy to run a report on a sprint and yell at an engineer that only has 32 hours of "work" in a week before a deadline. If that same report shows that 60 hours of work were done and 28 of those were in meetings, well... that tells a different story. If you get yelled at for being in so many meetings, well... point to the work logs to show which meetings they were and who pulled you in.

Collect the metrics that you can use to help managers help you. :eng101:

I once had an "emergency" testing report thing that a group of us were working on in a Teams call that we kept open all day. We weren't really talking, since we were all working. Every once in a while, someone would unmute and ask a question to the group. Someone would answer and we'd all re-mute and continue working. Every 30-45 minutes, my skip level manager would come in and ask for a status update like clockwork. Things like "what has been accomplished in the last 30 minutes?" and "what is the current completion percentage?". Perhaps he was making a real-time Excel chart of our progress throughout the day? Who knows.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

I feel like I've been promoted because I learn how to get poo poo done in a company. Every company has bureaucracy; learning to navigate it is valuable.

Fortunately for me, I love doing this bs.

I do try to help the engineers who want to keep coding to do that. Attempting to address repeated blockers, yell at mgmt that they need to provide true IC career paths, etc.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

downout posted:

I feel like I've been promoted because I learn how to get poo poo done in a company. Every company has bureaucracy; learning to navigate it is valuable.

Teach me how to get engineers on other teams who are prioritizing other work to at least point me in the right direction even if they can't properly answer my emails, so I can get promoted at EOY

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

downout posted:

Tell me how you know a particular situation is worth navigating and when it is better to wash your hands of it and move on.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Pollyanna posted:

Tell me how you know a particular situation is worth navigating and when it is better to wash your hands of it and move on.

Seconded. I’ve been having a poo poo time with the navigation lately, though I /had/ considered myself pretty good at it :smith:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Speaking of organizational poo poo, we had an infra-org meeting where I was specifically asked about my team’s experience working on supporting more switch/router vendors, and then asked what plan we had for further testing of our product in the context of more vendors.

The first question was easy: I just went into all the vendor bugs, image discrepancies, and lack of confidence in using VM-based tests to prove hardware correctness. I hope my manager was listening and understands why my progress may seem so loving slow in that vein. :catstare:

The second question, I ended up holding my tongue a good bit - that exact testing responsibility is one of the biggest pain points and examples of dumping I’ve seen, and my hackles raised as a knee-jerk response. I don’t have the energy to speak intelligently about it nor am I in the right mental state for it. Frankly, I just wanna move on from thinking about this product.

Maybe that makes me a bad L4, but man, my brain hurts.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Startyde posted:

I offer to purchase The Mythical Man-Month for anyone above or across me and have been doing so for the better part of twenty years. Don't think it's worked one god drat time but I've gotten some interesting books in return so :shrug:

buy them 2 so they'll read it faster

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

minato posted:

:golfclap:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

minato posted:

Would you like one

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

:perfect:

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

I write code. I talk to people. Life is good. Sometimes coworkers disappear. That's capitalism :agesilaus:

Edit: Pollyanna in hindsight i think ejecting to another team asap after arriving and smelling the burning garbage might have been optimal. I would try not to beat yourself up about it though. I'm curious, does it seem like Google's turning up the pip pressure generally? Is every company slowly converging on Amazon tier 1 pip factory style?

awesomeolion fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 29, 2023

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

downout posted:

I do try to help the engineers who want to keep coding to do that. Attempting to address repeated blockers, yell at mgmt that they need to provide true IC career paths, etc.

I don't love it, but this has also been very useful to me; learning how to read the tea leaves and figure out how to get poo poo done is a very useful skill.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Following on with not having had the best luck navigating weird situations lately, I had a really hosed up interaction with my direct manager today in which:

• i forwarded him some positive feedback about myself that I'd received from my peers. I've done this before, no big whoop, just building a case for a good EOY review.
  • he called me into his office and said forwarding him positive feedback wasn't going to offset other things that were wrong with my performance
  • me: uh...what are you talking about?
  • he told me that he had all the positive feedback about me that he needed and instead I needed to tell him when I'd done something wrong
  • i said that I don't hide things from him, and if I'd done something wrong that he knew about and I didn't then he needed to tell me so I could course correct
  • he insisted that no, I should be the one to tell him first and then he would confirm

this went back and forth a few rounds before he abruptly dismissed me from his office and I think was starting to have an emotional breakdown :psyduck: In four years reporting to this guy (and like eighteen years reporting to lots of other people for that matter) I have never seen this sort of thing and am...at a loss for words. I genuinely have no idea what the gently caress just happened and have no idea how to proceed.

Is everybody's leadership just going totally insane lately?

edit: my :tinfoil: suspicion is that he was told to get rid of me but can't find a reason to put me on a pip, and my company "doesn't do layoffs," so he's stuck. But that makes no rational sense at all because I work in Kansas and no one has ever needed a reason to fire anybody in this state.

csammis fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 30, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It is end of quarter tomorrow. And a Friday. This thread should be very interesting through next week

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Isn't Kansas just a right to work state anyways? Also, he could do all kinds of poo poo to get rid of you. Like, assign something that you both agree to change mid-quarter, then ding you for not finishing it at the end. Or just take any communication where you are disagreeing about something with anybody and just use it as some kind of proof of you being "bad."

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Or just take any communication where you are disagreeing about something with anybody and just use it as some kind of proof of you being "bad."

Well god knows he wouldn’t have to dig far to find me involved in a disagreement :v:

And yes Kansas is “right to work” so he could shitcan me instantly for no reason. It’s very rare in my experience with this large-ish company - everyone I personally know who has been fired was properly pipped first for obvious CYA reasons - but hence my paranoia about his heretofore unprecedented behavior. I’ve no idea what to expect next.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Hadlock posted:

It is end of quarter tomorrow. And a Friday. This thread should be very interesting through next week

It's a good sign when your CTO is very abruptly fired two days before the end of the quarter and the board member in charge of approving stock grants resigns immediately, right?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

csammis posted:

Following on with not having had the best luck navigating weird situations lately, I had a really hosed up interaction with my direct manager today in which:

• i forwarded him some positive feedback about myself that I'd received from my peers. I've done this before, no big whoop, just building a case for a good EOY review.
  • he called me into his office and said forwarding him positive feedback wasn't going to offset other things that were wrong with my performance
  • he told me that he had all the positive feedback about me that he needed and instead I needed to tell him when I'd done something wrong
  • i said that I don't hide things from him, and if I'd done something wrong that he knew about and I didn't then he needed to tell me so I could course correct
  • he insisted that no, I should be the one to tell him first and then he would confirm

this went back and forth a few rounds before he abruptly dismissed me from his office and I think was starting to have an emotional breakdown :psyduck: In four years reporting to this guy (and like eighteen years reporting to lots of other people for that matter) I have never seen this sort of thing and am...at a loss for words. I genuinely have no idea what the gently caress just happened and have no idea how to proceed.

edit: my :tinfoil: suspicion is that he was told to get rid of me but can't find a reason to put me on a pip, and my company "doesn't do layoffs," so he's stuck. But that makes no rational sense at all because I work in Kansas and no one has ever needed a reason to fire anybody in this state.

Honestly I wonder if the dude was having a mental breakdown or something, that's bizarre all over.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Plorkyeran posted:

It's a good sign when your CTO is very abruptly fired two days before the end of the quarter and the board member in charge of approving stock grants resigns immediately, right?

Yeah those are really good signs, they're opening up a lot of stock so they can issue more RSUs to engineers later on. Classic move very "this company is going places*" behavior

*Into bankruptcy

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Falcon2001 posted:

Honestly I wonder if the dude was having a mental breakdown or something, that's bizarre all over.

I was going to ask next if the manager looked like they were having a stroke or something. That whole "tell me what is wrong with you so I can lord it over you" isn't even a good narcissistic double bind attempt. At least work for it a little!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

csammis posted:

He could be struggling with the guilt of having to shitcan a bunch of people, for sure.

The company I work for just had Microsoft talk to us for a whole day about how they're going to replace all the people with AI. Everyone at the top is very excited about bringing the "softwareized" company to IT.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 30, 2023

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

csammis posted:

1. It's your managers job to ensure you understand your performance and that nothing surprising happens during review. This means timely feedback on both positive and negative things. His job is to fish for that poo poo for you. You feeding him the good shouldn't ever be a problem.
2. It's likely he's been asked to can some number of his staff. Potentially a large number. Whatever % keeps you below reporting layoffs threshold.
3. Dude is very clearly in the process of a mental breakdown, because every manager should know 1.
4. You've been told directly that now is a good time to start looking for a new job.
5. Most companies have standards for termination from HR that far exceed the needs of local laws. He probably needs documentation to put you on a PIP, set up a PIP, let you go after you fail to meet the PIP. If you are good at your job, the first and third parts of that are difficult; there's less stuff that isn't petty to PIP over, and you'll likely be able to pass any PIP that wouldn't risk a constructive dismissal suit.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Plorkyeran posted:

It means that the comedy stock is going to the moon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Xarn posted:

It means that the comedy stock is going to the moon

Where it can suffocate in the cold void of space.