Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
you usually contemplate war crimes when youre winning right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

just making shells one at a time in my backyard foundry

Mao was the artillery dad

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

OctaMurk posted:

A quran a day keeps the nato away

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Al! posted:

this is the united states we are talking about, they contemplate war crimes because it is a tuesday

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was at the beach over the weekend, and I picked up one of those toy shovels, and I started digging

One of my nieces comes up to me, and asks me what I'm doing, and I tell her "well, if the enemy starts coming in from the ocean, we need to have a trench for cover. Would you like to help?"

She nods, and starts digging too

When the trench gets to about four inches deep and a foot and a half in length, I change direction to angle it perpendicular to the coast. My other niece then asks why, and I explain that it's to prevent the enemy from being able to see down the entire length of the trench if they ever get inside. "This way, we can isolate them to just the one part of the trench that they get into"

it's like a lightbulb goes off in her head, and she helps her sister zigzag the trench on the other side from the one I'm working on

Later, I help them fill up a bucket with sand (not too wet!), and then turn it over, to create "a big bunker that's going to overlook our trenches", as I use my fingernail to carve out a small firing slit. Later, they start looking for rocks and start putting them in the trenches and on top of the bunker. They're "the guards", they tell me

By the time we left the beach at sunset, we had one more bunker, about ten feet of trenchworks, and a communications trench running between the main line and the bunkers

That was all stuff I picked up from this thread, and I'm glad I was able to entertain and connect with my extended family for a while

Your nieces are blessed by the emperor and shall make fine examples of the adepta sororitas.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Al! posted:

Yeah I always panic burn my phone contacts, paper records and change my legal name when things are going great. Quite normal.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

might as well just start shipping them dirty bombs i guess

Al! posted:

it's the us

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
only country to murder civilians with nuclear weapons after all i guess

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I wonder how many mines are already on the ground in eastern Ukraine right now. I'm guessing it's at least a million.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

OctaMurk posted:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The Oldest Man posted:

I wonder how many mines are already on the ground in eastern Ukraine right now. I'm guessing it's at least a million.

Vastly more as 'Across Ukraine's vast expanse, there are thought to be 174,000 square kilometres which are contaminated by landmines.'
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65204053

If I remember right 30% of their agricultural land is suspected to be mined so it's going to be years before food production returns to 2021 levels.

Also HRW is being traitorous to the west again by pointing out that Ukraine is using banned landmine types while being a signatory of the treaty banning them. Russia uses them too but never signed the treaty so both sides are lovely on that count. https://www.hrw.org/news/2023/01/31/ukraine-banned-landmines-harm-civilians

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

OctaMurk posted:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

the title should start with [UKR/RUS War] or [UA/RU War]

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mawarannahr posted:

the title should start with [UKR/RUS War] or [UA/RU War]

that's not alphabetical?

Russo-Ukrainian would be more like it

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

that's not alphabetical?

Russo-Ukrainian would be more like it

for sake of the thread title, the aim is using the two letter or three letter abbreviations consistently

speng31b
May 8, 2010

trying out some minimalism and some maximalism

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

i RUW u

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Best Friends posted:

when he said he posted all this on his phone (one of the six key doxxable facts) I was like okay this is some sort of bit. That’s not real.

I imagine ff post on a full size keyboard with a phone slot.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was at the beach over the weekend, and I picked up one of those toy shovels, and I started digging
By the time we left the beach at sunset, we had one more bunker, about ten feet of trenchworks, and a communications trench running between the main line and the bunkers

That was all stuff I picked up from this thread, and I'm glad I was able to entertain and connect with my extended family for a while

Now cover the trench with camo fabric to prevent drone bombs, things I picked up from reddit.

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

gradenko_2000 posted:

One of my nieces comes up to me, and asks me what I'm doing, and I tell her "well, if the enemy starts coming in from the ocean, we need to have a trench for cover. Would you like to help?"

She nods, and starts digging too

When the trench gets to about four inches deep and a foot and a half in length, I change direction to angle it perpendicular to the coast. My other niece then asks why, and I explain that it's to prevent the enemy from being able to see down the entire length of the trench if they ever get inside. "This way, we can isolate them to just the one part of the trench that they get into"

it's like a lightbulb goes off in her head, and she helps her sister zigzag the trench on the other side from the one I'm working on

Later, I help them fill up a bucket with sand (not too wet!), and then turn it over, to create "a big bunker that's going to overlook our trenches", as I use my fingernail to carve out a small firing slit. Later, they start looking for rocks and start putting them in the trenches and on top of the bunker. They're "the guards", they tell me

hell yeah

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

DICKPIC-M

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

RUS/UA War: the floor is salsa

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Bad news for Frosted Flake, his status in the thread has drawn the attention of the more deranged posters, who are rapidly advancing away from his defensive lines.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

You have to see it in the context of Americans admitting in the 90s that economic collapse in post-Soviet states came about partially because "they believed in capitalism" because "they had grown up without it" and "never experienced poverty and homelessness".

People believed they would retain everything from the Soviet system, but have more stuff. They wanted more stuff, but did not see it as a trade. They did not feel that free education, free healthcare, and affordable housing were benefits of the Soviet system: they simply thought that was normal, universal, unquestionable. The only thoughts related to the Soviet system were the things it denied them.

I see it to this day. My parents loudly tell me they hate everything communist. I tell them they had free education, free healthcare, and received more than one apartment for free (which then turned them into minor landlords post-90s). They say: of course, but that's not communist. When I point out capitalist countries did not have this, they get angry at me.

Everything I have read about East-Germany brings this up constantly. All the benefits of communism were seen as natural, obvious things that would be retained no matter what. There was no cost-benefit analysis when they thought about capitalism, as they thought they'd get the best of both worlds. It's a disturbing lack of materialist analysis and naivité in the regular population.

When I talk to Chinese students in NL I regularly see this same kind of naivité about capitalism.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Lostconfused posted:

Men's wear? We're talking about US chauvinism erasing all cultures by dominating foreign markets with exports.

Is there a way to buy East German jeans? People buy western vintage clothes the same age, so the textiles themselves probably survived, right?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ At its core I think it stems from a narrative-based view of reality, where outcomes are desirable based on whether they'd be considered good or bad outcomes in a narrative (and our cultural understanding of WW2 heavily contributes to this).

So in a "bad guy invades" narrative, the only good (and thus acceptable) outcome is "bad guy being defeated." Even if hundreds of thousands of people have to die to achieve it, it's worth it because it's "a good ending." But surrendering is not "a good ending," even if it results in hundreds of thousands of fewer people being dead.

All the stuff about sovereignty or "Russia's going to do genocides" is just an attempt to rationalize this gut feeling.

I'll tell you one thing though, it's extra weird seeing this narrative espoused in a country which did surrender in WW2, specifically because of the threat of (further) terrorbombing killing and de-housing (lol) tons of civilians. Like, that's not generally thought of or taught as our government back then being wrong or cowardly or stupid, but rather prudently trying to protect the lives of its citizens. Yet meanwhile in Kiev...

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

He's the closest thing we have to an expert on this subject and he publicly disagrees witb liberals and nothing makes a liberal angier than an expert who tells them they're full of poo poo

It just seems misguided since publicly I'm an expert that presents extremely boring conference papers and goes to meetings that all further their goals, which admittedly can be funny when I have to review material like "2 RCHA proudly won the Historic Hockey tournament. 2 RCHA has enacted a new sports afternoon competition for the Regiment every Thursday to foster a culture of physical fitness and esprit de corps posturing the Regiment to achieve excellence and operational readiness" and see if that fits into the historic and doctrinal development of the artillery arm (it does not, but good on them for finding a way to justify taking Thursdays off work to play sports).

What I'm saying is, my posting can't be more subversive than my job. I don't have access to the "Ukraine wins/Ukraine loses" levers and have deliberately avoided going anywhere near them,

It's all hockey tournaments and South African alternatives to copper driving bands.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 12:13 on Jun 30, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

Is there a way to buy East German jeans? People buy western vintage clothes the same age, so the textiles themselves probably survived, right?

Probably not unless you find some kind of second hand shop. Further to earlier talks Naked & Famous is an excellent denim label and most of what I've bought this year. RM Williams is also good but not on the same tier. Mostly. RM does really good moleskins.

And if you're into boots then that's another story entirely.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

just making shells one at a time in my backyard foundry

Didn't know you were the official shell supplier to a NATO member state.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Orange Devil posted:

Everything I have read about East-Germany brings this up constantly. All the benefits of communism were seen as natural, obvious things that would be retained no matter what. There was no cost-benefit analysis when they thought about capitalism, as they thought they'd get the best of both worlds. It's a disturbing lack of materialist analysis and naivité in the regular population.

When I talk to Chinese students in NL I regularly see this same kind of naivité about capitalism.

It makes sense to me that they didn't think it was Levis and bananas or lol basically the entire fabric of their society, but goddamn someone should have better communicated that to them.

also Grandenko :911: (No crying PHL smilie for whatever reason) that rules.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

ramzanhammer 40k

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

It makes sense to me that they didn't think it was Levis and bananas or lol basically the entire fabric of their society, but goddamn someone should have better communicated that to them.

also Grandenko :911: (No crying PHL smilie for whatever reason) that rules.

Its fun to consider that communism fell because the communists didn't indoctrinate their kids well enough that capitalism was the great evil that would gladly let them starve on the streets. Maybe if the communists had been half as good at propaganda as the capitalists the USSR would still be around today

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Best Friends posted:

when he said he posted all this on his phone (one of the six key doxxable facts) I was like okay this is some sort of bit. That’s not real.

When confronted with a difficult to believe fact, we can either disbelieve it, or add more facts to make the situation make sense.

Thus I have concluded FF takes really, really long shits.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek2P-Ui46GE

Well There's Your Problem convinced Russia blew up their own dam, while listing all the reasons it benefitted Ukraine and that it killed Russian soldiers, flooded the Russian side of the river.

:thunk:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It is just a lot of people are naïve and take Western media for granted, also a lot of it is simply post-facto. The hope in East Germany they would have gotten the benefits of the West and East at the same time, and they didn't expect chronic unemployment, empty towns, and having to be tied to the hip to American foreign policy forever.

To me, it is more interesting to see present-day Muscovites or Chinese students from major cities being impressed by anything in the West. It is something I don't get at all. There isn't a real material difference, if anything, potentially a downgrade.

-------

That podcast has been nearly unlistenable since it started. I am not really surprised.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 12:30 on Jun 30, 2023

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

russian babycakes loves pizza

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

To me, it is more interesting to see present-day Muscovites or Chinese students from major cities being impressed by anything in the West. It is something I don't get at all. There isn't a real material difference, if anything, potentially a downgrade.

Chinese students at the $$$ Canadian university here drive Maseratis and poo poo, so I'm assuming "more consumer goods" seems great for the socioeconomic strata sending their kids to study abroad.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

Chinese students at the $$$ Canadian university here drive Maseratis and poo poo, so I'm assuming "more consumer goods" seems great for the socioeconomic strata sending their kids to study abroad.

There were reports of upper middle class Muscovites actually crossing the border in the US via coyotes in the middle of the desert just to get asylum. I guess PowerMacs are cheaper.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Frosted Flake posted:

Well There's Your Problem convinced Russia blew up their own dam, while listing all the reasons it benefitted Ukraine and that it killed Russian soldiers, flooded the Russian side of the river.

idiots being idiots you say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

I can’t think of anything I’d like to hear less than Liam’s geopolitical theories.