Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I got emotional about the Bob Emergency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Kit Walker posted:

Love to live in a city that looks like a melting pile of garbage that's somehow accumulated on the shore

But enough about London.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/AngryBlackLady/status/1674411961935863815?t=mDU-seh4GcRrleLe45RMpg&s=19
Great country we live in, where supreme court cases can be determined by poo poo That Didn't Happen :v:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/juststop_oil/status/1674478849692692480

My theory that most environmentalist campaign groups are police ops is yet to be disproved.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

legally a probe in 3 out of 5 weeks counts as every week so pretty close

2/3 = "nearly"
3/4= "close enuff"
9/10 = "fuckin bang on, bud"

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Zero_Grade posted:

That's quite the compromise.

:dadjoke:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Panfilo posted:

https://twitter.com/AngryBlackLady/status/1674411961935863815?t=mDU-seh4GcRrleLe45RMpg&s=19
Great country we live in, where supreme court cases can be determined by poo poo That Didn't Happen :v:

Huh. My understanding of that lawsuit was that it was openly hypothetical. Her business didn't even exist when she filed the suit. She stated that she planned to open a business and didn't want to deal with the mere possibility of being in that situation.

Maybe I'm thinking of another lawsuit. Or maybe this person doesn't understand the nature of the lawsuit and didn't know that that was a hypothetical scenario.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

It doesn't change the fact that it's a bullshit lawsuit in the first place. The Supreme Court shouldn't be agreeing to take cases that are based on hypotheticals. It says a lot about the (lack of) integrity of these justices that they did.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Declaratory judgements have their uses, but this should not be one of them.

As an example of where one would be useful: it’s better for SCOTUS to rule that a candidate is or is not a “natural born citizen” under the U.S. Constitution than to be like “Meh it doesn’t matter unless they are set to take office. Let’s let them run, appear on ballots first, and accept a major party’s nomination first”.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Declaratory judgements have their uses, but this should not be one of them.

As an example of where one would be useful: it’s better for SCOTUS to rule that a candidate is or is not a “natural born citizen” under the U.S. Constitution than to be like “Meh it doesn’t matter unless they are set to take office. Let’s let them run, appear on ballots first, and accept a major party’s nomination first”.

stop trying to make ted cruz happen

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

...! posted:

Huh. My understanding of that lawsuit was that it was openly hypothetical. Her business didn't even exist when she filed the suit. She stated that she planned to open a business and didn't want to deal with the mere possibility of being in that situation.

Maybe I'm thinking of another lawsuit. Or maybe this person doesn't understand the nature of the lawsuit and didn't know that that was a hypothetical scenario.

From reading the article, it appears that it was initially filed as a hypothetical, somebody said hypothetical damages are literally not real and don't count, and suddenly there appeared this supposed request to prove that nuh uh it's totally real and not hypothetical see

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Arivia posted:

I keep getting told by admins of various websites that I’m not allowed to wish for Ted Cruz to unhappen

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Arivia posted:

Ted Cruz is evil, but he’s probably a natural‐born American.

And whichever way the answer lies, it’d be really stupid to rule on it only after the election were held.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Platystemon posted:

Ted Cruz is evil, but he’s probably a natural‐born American.

And whichever way the answer lies, it’d be really stupid to rule on it only after the election were held.
He might legally be America-born but no way in hell did he come about naturally.

Elysiume has a new favorite as of 06:46 on Jun 30, 2023

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Elysiume posted:

He might legally be born America-born but no way in hell did he come about naturally.

It was you! You brought him about! :mad:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

...! posted:

It was you! You brought him about! :mad:

...!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Good news, soon you'll be able to yell "fake news" at literally any news story you don't like and have a decent chance of being correct.

https://twitter.com/bigblackjacobin/status/1674617268293042176?s=20

There was a lawyer that cited fake case because they used ChatGPT to create a court brief, I can only imagine what happens when lazy CIA analysts use it. WW3 is going to start because the president saw a ChatGPT report that cites a Tom Clancy novel.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Did something change with Twitter? I'm phone posting/reading and it kicks me to a log in screen that I can't get out of now.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GrandpaPants posted:

Did something change with Twitter? I'm phone posting/reading and it kicks me to a log in screen that I can't get out of now.

"If no unregistered access, new accounts surely go up."
-Elon Musk, Supergenius

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The LegalEAgle video about that Chatgpt situation makes it even funnier - when he got into trouble, the judge questioned him about the book the supposed legal case came from (all cases are documented in a federal library with a reference number like FR.volume.edition.page, so it may be found in FR.346.7.24) and he couldn't even name the library that the book would have come from. He guessed what FR stood for, and guessed wrong. Also CHatgpt only was able to generate 5 pages of text, and the cases are normally upwards of 100 pages long so it completely fell short even on word count.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BioEnchanted posted:

The LegalEAgle video about that Chatgpt situation makes it even funnier - when he got into trouble, the judge questioned him about the book the supposed legal case came from (all cases are documented in a federal library with a reference number like FR.volume.edition.page, so it may be found in FR.346.7.24) and he couldn't even name the library that the book would have come from. He guessed what FR stood for, and guessed wrong. Also CHatgpt only was able to generate 5 pages of text, and the cases are normally upwards of 100 pages long so it completely fell short even on word count.

Yeah, but I don't trust the people who make decisions about whether or not we should start a hot war with China to be smarter than an average judge, so I think you could get away with it easier at the CIA than as a random lawyer.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

There was also the eating disorder help website that gave advice on how to get an eating disorder once they started using AI instead of the staff they fired.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

this is just that one episode of Futurama but with a robot dog

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Inceltown posted:

There was also the eating disorder help website that gave advice on how to get an eating disorder once they started using AI instead of the staff they fired.

Holy poo poo

https://www.psychiatrist.com/news/neda-suspends-ai-chatbot-for-giving-harmful-eating-disorder-advice/

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's amazing how they've poisoned the well for generated poo poo by going full bore on it this early. Given how many are crypto/NFT bros jumping on a new grift it's quite telling of how many really believe their own bullshit.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A French firm also tested AI for medical advice and when one of the testers tried to see how it would handle a patient being suicidal, the AI told them to kill themselves https://www.artificialintelligence-news.com/2020/10/28/medical-chatbot-openai-gpt3-patient-kill-themselves/

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
"...using AI" is almost as big of a red flag as "on the blockchain" for me these days. People trying to shoehorn AI usage into things that really don't need it.

And I say this as someone who helps develop software that uses (non-chatgpt) AI for a day job.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fishstick posted:

"...using AI" is almost as big of a red flag as "on the blockchain" for me these days. People trying to shoehorn AI usage into things that really don't need it.

And I say this as someone who helps develop software that uses (non-chatgpt) AI for a day job.

As said, it's often literally the same people.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
We need a public campaign to remind people that AI stands for Artificial Idiot not Artificial Intelligence, you wouldn't trust an idiot like the character Father Dougal McGuire with anything important now would you.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
There is huge potential for AI, as it currently exists and is developing to exist in the near term, to do really cool and good things. The loudest voices hyping and pushing it though are the least equipped and capable of handling it in any capacity.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Just got this email from a fintech news i subscribe to

quote:

Remember how Donald Trump's opponents called him a cartoon character?

It all came true last year when we saw Trump present himself - in all his glory - as NFTs. Superhero? Check. Astronaut? Check. Old West sheriff? You betcha.

Love him or hate him, you can't deny the audacity of it all. He turned himself into a walking, talking cash cow using NFTs as his golden ticket.

Pixelated versions of the former president now fetch hefty prices and fuel his potential comeback in the 2024 presidential race.

Behind the scenes of all this is Singapore-based crypto veteran Andras Kristof, who launched Galaxis, a platform for creators to monetize their work, engage with their audience, and foster communities using NFTs. Bigwigs like Val Kilmer, Steve Aoki, and Mike Tyson also joined the platform.

A source has confirmed to us that Trump has been selling his NFTs using the same platform. Our big story has all the details you want to know.

Editor’s note: This will be the last edition of [this crypto-related newsletter]. We are suspending it, as we have not seen enough traction for our crypto coverage to justify a dedicated crypto newsletter.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kit Walker posted:

Love to live in a city that looks like a melting pile of garbage that's somehow accumulated on the shore
I too live in <fill in coastal city you like here>

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

GrandpaPants posted:

Yes, I experience this on a desktop. It seems they're trying to drive people into making accounts to see content.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Fishstick posted:

I’m in sales and one of the other sales guys got fired because they found out he was using AI to do his job. Write his emails, fill out his CRM, all of it. He’s inside sales so he never had to physically be in front of the customer. They figured it out because he literally never picked up his phone to call anyone. That and IT noticed he was on ChatGPT all the time. Now it’s blocked at my office.

The guy was a shitbag anyway and yeah, wouldn’t shut up about AI

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I'm in college for data analytics and presently there's not a thing I do that I don't use an AI alongside. I'd better figure out how to be friends with it now, because it absolutely can do my job.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

credburn posted:

I'm in college for data analytics and presently there's not a thing I do that I don't use an AI alongside. I'd better figure out how to be friends with it now, because it absolutely can do my job.

don't worry too much, those are pretty transferrable skills. "my education is useless now!" has been a thing since neo confucianism at least

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

There is definitely a place for AI and you’ll rarely hear about the people using it wisely because they’ll do it subtly enough to not get noticed. It’s the dumb fucks who copy+paste the results and send it without a second thought who make the news

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

TinTower posted:

https://twitter.com/juststop_oil/status/1674478849692692480

My theory that most environmentalist campaign groups are police ops is yet to be disproved.

I was so confused. I thought this was an oil change place. Like just stop at "Just Stop Oil".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

"If no unregistered access, new accounts surely go up."
-Elon Musk, Supergenius
Plus, more new accounts means more revenue from new advertisers!

https://twitter.com/RMac18/status/1674421019803791360

Oh. Hm.