Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Opopanax posted:

I could see some kind of Authority with Luthor in charge. Basically like H.A.M.M.E.R. under Osborne

Sounds like Esposito in The Boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Again, I think the proposed tech bro Lex ends up looking a lot like Sam Rockwell as Hammer. Which is fun but not the guy you put against the hero as primary antagonist.

And we really haven't had films with the modern Luthor as antagonist other than BvS. Hackman as noted was something else and Spacey COULD have played the post-COIE Lex but they tried to say he was still the Hackman version.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I think there's also space to shade in that modern monster of the financialized economy, the private equity ghoul. Luthor wants to free up half a trillion dollars for some insane dickhead pet project to annoy or kill Superman, so he orders his legal team to gets loans for hostile takeovers of a bunch of successful businesses, put the loan debt on them, suck out every possible cent of short term profit, trick as many of the skilled workers into signing non-competes as possible to keep their jobs, then fire them anyway and declare bankruptcy on all the businesses and write them off.

The non-competes are so other places can't hire the skilled labor, and then he can offer them jobs in their field at Lexcorp - now the only ones they can legally take - at criminally cut rates. It's engineering at Lexcorp for 1/4 of your prior salary or it's fry cook, buddy. Just really hammer home his sociopathic reflex to view himself as the sole valid dictator of the economy and the lives of hundreds of thousands of people at a time; people he sees as insects. If they deserved to be treated better, they'd have stopped him somehow. Plus it's for their own good. They'll be freed to unlock their full potential once Superman is disgraced and eliminated!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I think he should build a big death ray and guard it wearing big green power armor that leaves his head vulnerable for some reason.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

theironjef posted:

I think he should build a big death ray and guard it wearing big green power armor that leaves his head vulnerable for some reason.

You're right and you should say it

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like the problem with trying to modernize Lex Luthor as a concept is that people right now are hyper-aware that basically every single real-life equivalent of Lex Luthor is a loving moron.

Which honestly raises the question of whether it's even appropriate to keep using the version of him who's a genius, since even the "horrifically flawed genius" version of him is giving the techbros what they want and don't deserve.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like the problem with trying to modernize Lex Luthor as a concept is that people right now are hyper-aware that basically every single real-life equivalent of Lex Luthor is a loving moron.

Which honestly raises the question of whether it's even appropriate to keep using the version of him who's a genius, since even the "horrifically flawed genius" version of him is giving the techbros what they want and don't deserve.

Yeah this is kinda where I'm at. Lex Luthor feels like a relic as a concept. The concept of the hyper brilliant Captain of Industry just isn't real to people anymore, and it was always mostly a fiction to start with. It feels more useful as a storytelling endeavor, and more relevant, to have Lex as a textbook case of why you shouldn't fall for the mythologization of billionaires.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I want to build sideways. Let's assume that Luthor is a petty man, and as such he has a vested interest in his own narrative. Like a lot of comic book characters you can see him as a mashup of other "villain" characters. Pulling from Marvel there are shades of Dr Doom (Megalomaniacal genius, often with power armor) Kingpin (criminal mastermind, but with an air of plausible deniability and political leanings) and J. Jonah Jameson (Sees the hero as villain, despite evidence)

So you change the background a bit. Lexcorp is still a wholly owned creation of Lex Luthor, a monument to his own genius and greed. He didn't build it from scratch, it was always his father's to start, but he took it in hugely successful directions. So where Lexcorp might have been originally arms manufacturing, they are today an empire of more general goods. Not everyone needs ICBM missiles, but everyone needs clothes, food and small appliances. But unlike small minded Alexander The Great, Luthor always finds more worlds to conquer. Luthor has Lexcorp for general revenue, LNN to report the "truth", and Lexiwood Studios to create movies and shows that tend to push his narrative.

It's 2023 and Lexcorp has expanded into the entertainment sector. The real modern money maker. And you get Luthor to own "Superman" - the concept. Batman would through various shell companies find a way to protect the Batman brand (and the league by extension). But Superman wouldn't care about selling in universe action figures, Halloween costumes and things like that. It would never occur to him. He doesn't care about the money (which is something Luthor doesn't understand), but "Superman: The Movie" is a major hit, and Luthor can directly profit from it, because Superman didn't register himself, and he's "not a person". Superman isn't a citizen, he doesn't exist on paper, he's a product, because he won't reveal his identity.

And if you want to get meta with it, the Superman movie still has Superman win, but he does it at a great toll to innocent life, and at the direct cost of the villain's life. A major metropolitan city is reduced to rubble. You paint a picture that maybe Superman saved the day, but at what cost? And he doesn't take any responsibility? Just get's to walk away? Doesn't even help rebuild? What sort of hero is OK with that kind of terror? Can you trust anyone with that kind of power? What sort of dupe believes in his boy scout schtick? Throw in some not so subtle sequel hook where "He's just preparing us for an invasion of his own kind" stinger scene propaganda, and now you are managing to bother Superman, and doing it in a very public legal way. And you also call into question Superman's character in the public eye. Maybe most people know it's bullshit, but if recent history is anything to go by, people will be convinced to believe anything regardless of how bad for their own self interest it may be.

But that's how you can beat Superman. You can't take him in a fistfight. You can't kill him with Kyptonite. You have to break his spirit.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 29, 2023

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The other problem would be that all of these various flavors of moron billionaire have already been claimed by various other DC properties, between guys like Maxwell Lord and Glorious Golden Godfrey. It was bad enough when BvS turned him incongruously into the Riddler for some reason. Luthor just doesn't need to be a sendup of any flavor of actual rich rear end in a top hat. He doesn't need to be Lex Musk, Lex Murdoch, or Lex Trump. If it doesn't make any sense that a guy in this day and age is just a maniacal billionaire that keeps investing heavily in the supervillain arts, that's fine because Superman doesn't make any sense either so we can always just allow for audience buy in to paper that gap.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
NYPD says they have enough video evidence to confirm Jonathan Majors' version of the events and arrest the woman who accused him of assaulting her.

The prosecutors still have to determine what they are doing with Majors' case and have not made any announcements yet.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1674491694157295623

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
You just have to make him like in Superman & Lois: a truly frightning thug who still managed to get out of jail and now seems even worse.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

NYPD says they have enough video evidence to confirm Jonathan Majors' version of the events and arrest the woman who accused him of assaulting her.

The prosecutors still have to determine what they are doing with Majors' case and have not made any announcements yet.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1674491694157295623

Good news for Majors, bad news for every woman with a credible claim to violence, bc the worst people online love to point to stuff like this as evidence that women who accuse are actually all clout chasing liars

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah weren't there a bunch of other women who came forward after the original claim? Wondering what they're thinking right now

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wasn’t it reported at the time she never actually accused him, and that the NYPD charged him on their own without her cooperation?

Not that it changes anything, just adds another bizarre layer to this whole thing.

site posted:

Yeah weren't there a bunch of other women who came forward after the original claim? Wondering what they're thinking right now

That’s what I remember; that the NYPD was interviewing others who came forward once the story broke.

And there was all the talk that this wasn’t news to anyone and that he has a reputation.

I hope none of that is true because this poo poo basically gives him carte blanche if it is.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Wasn’t it reported at the time she never actually accused him, and that the NYPD charged him on their own without her cooperation?

Not that it changes anything, just adds another bizarre layer to this whole thing.

That’s what I remember; that the NYPD was interviewing others who came forward once the story broke.

And there was all the talk that this wasn’t news to anyone and that he has a reputation.

I hope none of that is true because this poo poo basically gives him carte blanche if it is.

The only thing I remember being attributed to one of those folks was some quote that was basically "There's a particular actor, relatively new on the scene, who twitter has violently fallen head over heels for who, in actuality, is a vicious, cruel, abusive human being, both professionally and in his personal life, and every new viral thirst tweet about him drives me insane." I think they later confirmed that it was about Majors sometime after the story broke.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Variety reported back in April that "sources familiar with the matter" said that other women had reached out to the D.A's office. The D.A.'s office didn't comment on the story and no other journalistic outfit independently confirmed it.

But, Variety is a major publication that generally does not have major scandals with false stories from sources, so it would be weird for them to just be completely wrong even though nobody else independently confirmed it.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/jonathan-majors-more-alleged-abuse-victims-cooperate-with-da-office-assault-1235588870/

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I definitely remember a guy on Twitter saying "Yeah I was in acting school with him and he's definitely like this" but I don't remember anything specific or any women stepping forward.

I could definitely believe this was something that, like, 3 people were pushing due to racism, probably including someone in the NYPD.

It's weird the NYPD took, what, 2-3 months to review a video. Very, very weird.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

StumblyWumbly posted:

I definitely remember a guy on Twitter saying "Yeah I was in acting school with him and he's definitely like this" but I don't remember anything specific or any women stepping forward.

I could definitely believe this was something that, like, 3 people were pushing due to racism, probably including someone in the NYPD.

It's weird the NYPD took, what, 2-3 months to review a video. Very, very weird.

You can’t expect one of the 36 thousand nypd cops to review a video in a high profile case quickly now. That one cop had homeless people to harass.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I've lost count of the stories where someone essentially has to do the NYPD's work for them with finding their stolen poo poo and even after they show that to the cops they don't do anything

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah this is kinda where I'm at. Lex Luthor feels like a relic as a concept. The concept of the hyper brilliant Captain of Industry just isn't real to people anymore, and it was always mostly a fiction to start with. It feels more useful as a storytelling endeavor, and more relevant, to have Lex as a textbook case of why you shouldn't fall for the mythologization of billionaires.

I think the issue is if you start to pull at that thread, then you get into the issue of 'what about Batman/Green Arrow/Ted Kord'.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

CzarChasm posted:

I want to build sideways. Let's assume that Luthor is a petty man, and as such he has a vested interest in his own narrative. Like a lot of comic book characters you can see him as a mashup of other "villain" characters. Pulling from Marvel there are shades of Dr Doom (Megalomaniacal genius, often with power armor) Kingpin (criminal mastermind, but with an air of plausible deniability and political leanings) and J. Jonah Jameson (Sees the hero as villain, despite evidence)

So you change the background a bit. Lexcorp is still a wholly owned creation of Lex Luthor, a monument to his own genius and greed. He didn't build it from scratch, it was always his father's to start, but he took it in hugely successful directions. So where Lexcorp might have been originally arms manufacturing, they are today an empire of more general goods. Not everyone needs ICBM missiles, but everyone needs clothes, food and small appliances. But unlike small minded Alexander The Great, Luthor always finds more worlds to conquer. Luthor has Lexcorp for general revenue, LNN to report the "truth", and Lexiwood Studios to create movies and shows that tend to push his narrative.

It's 2023 and Lexcorp has expanded into the entertainment sector. The real modern money maker. And you get Luthor to own "Superman" - the concept. Batman would through various shell companies find a way to protect the Batman brand (and the league by extension). But Superman wouldn't care about selling in universe action figures, Halloween costumes and things like that. It would never occur to him. He doesn't care about the money (which is something Luthor doesn't understand), but "Superman: The Movie" is a major hit, and Luthor can directly profit from it, because Superman didn't register himself, and he's "not a person". Superman isn't a citizen, he doesn't exist on paper, he's a product, because he won't reveal his identity.

And if you want to get meta with it, the Superman movie still has Superman win, but he does it at a great toll to innocent life, and at the direct cost of the villain's life. A major metropolitan city is reduced to rubble. You paint a picture that maybe Superman saved the day, but at what cost? And he doesn't take any responsibility? Just get's to walk away? Doesn't even help rebuild? What sort of hero is OK with that kind of terror? Can you trust anyone with that kind of power? What sort of dupe believes in his boy scout schtick? Throw in some not so subtle sequel hook where "He's just preparing us for an invasion of his own kind" stinger scene propaganda, and now you are managing to bother Superman, and doing it in a very public legal way. And you also call into question Superman's character in the public eye. Maybe most people know it's bullshit, but if recent history is anything to go by, people will be convinced to believe anything regardless of how bad for their own self interest it may be.

But that's how you can beat Superman. You can't take him in a fistfight. You can't kill him with Kyptonite. Yo u have to break his spirit.

So
..... you are saying Snyder is IRL Luthor?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/1674601275814469637?t=cjww1q-PnWDFIyKpcA3M-Q&s=19

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/1674609966684971011

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

I've lost count of the stories where someone essentially has to do the NYPD's work for them with finding their stolen poo poo and even after they show that to the cops they don't do anything

I think it's the other coast, but Mark Rober, prolific former NASA engineer and current massive YouTuber, has multiple videos about pranking package thieves because the cops refused to do anything with any of the evidence he had from his porch cameras.

"Hey, I have video evidence of people stealing packages. I know what was stolen, you can see their faces and activity very clearly, and you can even see license plates in the cars they drive away in."

-"Sorry, there's nothing we can do about this. Have you considered creating elaborate decoy packages that shoot fart spray and glitter everywhere?"

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

bunnyofdoom posted:

So
..... you are saying Snyder is IRL Luthor?

No, Luthor creates things I want.

So the woman was between the ages of 13-18, or Majors was? Because that's not really great either way. Even if we assume an age appropriate relationship, if the best character witness I can come up with is someone from high school, that's sketchy as gently caress.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lord and Miller seem to confirm the rumors that Beyond the Spiderverse is getting pushed until at least 2025 and potentially 2026.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1674589433918636032

CzarChasm posted:

No, Luthor creates things I want.

So the woman was between the ages of 13-18, or Majors was? Because that's not really great either way. Even if we assume an age appropriate relationship, if the best character witness I can come up with is someone from high school, that's sketchy as gently caress.

It says in the article they dated from middle school until he moved for college and stayed friends afterwards. If he was dating a 13-year old for 5 years in his 30's, then that would probably be the bigger scandal.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 30, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The latest rumour for Reed Richards now is Matt Smith.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The_Doctor posted:

The latest rumour for Reed Richards now is Matt Smith.

Seems to be one person on Twitter and not really based on anything.

Smith would be an interesting choice, but he would also be significantly older than every other actor they were looking at for the other 3.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Seems to be one person on Twitter and not really based on anything.

Smith would be an interesting choice, but he would also be significantly older than every other actor they were looking at for the other 3.

He's only 1 year older than Adam Driver.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

PriorMarcus posted:

He's only 1 year older than Adam Driver.

That is true. I didn't realize that Driver was about 40 and is also much older than the likely actors for the other 3 as well.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ethan Peck is my pick but I don't even think he's in the running. He did Reed in the Marvels podcast and was a good fit

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Matt Smith was always my pick for Reed. But Driver rules too. I'd be happy with either of them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I think I said it upthread a ways back but Driver is that rare actor I could see pulling off either Reed or Doom. He'd be amazing as Doom though maybe he got his fill of stuff like that already with Kylo Ren.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Opopanax posted:

Ethan Peck is my pick but I don't even think he's in the running. He did Reed in the Marvels podcast and was a good fit
Well if Paramount continues to have financial problems he might be available

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So because of all the Spiderverse discourse lately, I have discovered something, as I don't read comics. Apparently Gwenpool is not Gwen Stacy? It's just some other person named Gwen?

Hey comic nerds, is that true? And if that is true, I have another question: what the gently caress

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 30, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You’re thinking of Gwenpool.

She’s not an alternate Deadpool.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I meant to type Gwenpool yeah

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Gwenpool's name is Gwen Poole

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In universe she's neither Gwen Stacy, nor Deadpool.

Out of universe, of course she's just a Gwen month variant cover creation that caught on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gwenpool's gimmick is similar to Deadpool's, but she's aware of the comic book reality because she is from Our Real, Actual World instead of because she's bonkers