Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

thinking about how the US hobbled india's state led domestic solar power project program in 2013.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

fart simpson posted:

that article mentions one of the diplomatic “costs” was upsetting a german wind energy company by letting them enter the chinese market in exchange for technology transfer, because the german company failed to gain significant market share in china after that and china gained their technical knowledge

how delectably devlish of china

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

A spy balloon that doesn't spy. Is there no limit to their sneakiness?

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

I was literally just trying to think of how to phrase a question like...."why call it a spy balloon if it wasn't spying...?"

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

that week or so where we scrambled jets xcom style and ended up shooting down like 2 weather balloons and a child’s hobby balloon owned

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

lmao

wonder what the US got in return for this

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

what

what

what the gently caress was it doing

even a weather balloon is supposed to collect data

"intelligence" can i get loving a definition?

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

what

what

I think a weather balloon could have like a little GPS module on it to see where the wind takes it naturally, just for sake of tracking air currents, without strictly speaking "collecting data"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It may also simply have been broken and drifting aimlessly, literally sky trash

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

another option is that the pentagon is full of morons??

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

this was a good read....as a follow up, does anyone know of any good introductory or overview-type books on political history in india from a left perspecvtive?

I know this can cover a couple different currents, Kerala-focused or West Bengal historically or Naxalities or the CPI splits, so I'm still down if the book focuses in on one area specifically

edit: for anyone also curious, this looks like it might be what I'm after: https://mayday.leftword.com/catalog/product/view/id/16882

Vijay Prashad's "No Free Left: The Futures of Indian Communism"

Eminent DNS has issued a correction as of 00:53 on Jun 30, 2023

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

China: before we’ll negotiate you must make a public statement that it was a weather ballon.

USA: can’t do that. what if we just say it wasn’t “actively” spying while over the US?

China: …ok fine. whatever

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The pursuit of higher education and better work opportunities are the main reasons Chinese students study at foreign universities at the undergraduate level, while the opportunity to broaden their children's experience is what parents want most, according to a new report that came out on Saturday.

Based on client information from overseas consultancy EIC Education, the report found that when choosing a destination for overseas study, students most value the ranking of the school or the major, the quality of education on offer, and career prospects, while parents are most concerned about safety.

Students worry most about too much homework and academic stress, followed by safety and the language barrier. For parents, safety is their greatest concern, as well as cultural differences and racism.

In terms of choosing universities, both students and parents pay the most attention to the ranking of the university and their major. For parents, the employment rate is the third most important factor, but is only seventh in importance for students.

The report also found that from January to May, the number of consultations for overseas study increased by 43 percent year-on-year and by 12 percent on the same period in 2019.

The 10 most favored majors in the last three years include economics, computer science, business, communications and media research, math and finance.

As a result of inflation, tuition fees are higher this year compared with 2019. Students going to the United Kingdom are expected to pay 170,000 to 400,000 yuan ($24,000 to $56,000) in fees annually in 2023, up from 90,000 to 360,000 yuan per year in 2019.

Tang Yingying, 23, got a bachelor's degree from the University of Sydney last year and is pursuing a master's degree at the same university.

She chose the university because it recognizes scores from the Chinese national college entrance exam, or gaokao, and also because Australia is more inclusive and has fewer incidents of discrimination.

Tang said her gaokao scores only qualified her to study at Shanghai University if she were to choose to study in China, so the University of Sydney was a natural choice.

However, while entry requirements might be lower at some foreign universities, they have stricter standards for graduation, she said, adding that she has worked very hard to perform well in her studies and is also doing internships.

"I know that a student with overseas study experience is not as popular a choice on the domestic job market as they used to be, but studying abroad has helped me to grow a lot, it has opened up my horizons and allowed me to make friends with people from different countries and regions."

Chen Xiaojing studied at the University of Toronto for her undergraduate degree and at University College London for her postgraduate degree. She now teaches English at an overseas study consultancy company in Beijing.

The 24-year-old said she chose to study in Canada because it is more open to foreign students who want to work there after their studies, but still decided to come home to work to be close to her family and friends.

"The reason I didn't choose the United States was that I felt it was not safe there and wasn't suitable for students who are more introverted, like I am," she said.

"If I only consider things from the perspective of cost, it is likely that it will take a very long time for me to earn back the money I have paid over the years on studying overseas, but it is still a worthwhile experience because it allowed me to meet different people, live a different life and become more understanding and inclusive."

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Eminent DNS posted:

this was a good read....as a follow up, does anyone know of any good introductory or overview-type books on political history in india from a left perspecvtive?

I know this can cover a couple different currents, Kerala-focused or West Bengal historically or Naxalities or the CPI splits, so I'm still down if the book focuses in on one area specifically

edit: for anyone also curious, this looks like it might be what I'm after: https://mayday.leftword.com/catalog/product/view/id/16882

Vijay Prashad's "No Free Left: The Futures of Indian Communism"

Give this guy a try. He is left in my book, not sure if he is left enough for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di9pRmeF8EY

Check out lec 6 for an Adivasi activist guest.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cerebral Bore posted:

its always funny when capitalist corporations get upset when they're outcompeted by china. just absolute never thought the leopard would eat my face energy

therefore germans should ban selling their cars in china

china would totally collapse once the chinese libs can't zhuangbi with their overpriced and hard to maintain trash

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lmao the western narrative about the spy balloon thing. CNN hasnt even bother posting the news, everyone is still calling it a spy balloon despite it not doing any spying.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
It was filled with perfidious air.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

It was spreading Havana syndrome not collecting information!!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Eminent DNS posted:

another option is that the pentagon is full of morons??

Lines of nose flour on the bathroom sink: not just for politicians and celebrities.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

How Darwinian posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/29/chinese-spy-balloon-shot-information-biden

quote:

A Chinese spy balloon that flew over the United States earlier this year before being shot down did not collect information as it went across the country, the Pentagon said on Thursday.

“We assess that it did not collect while it was flying over the US,” Pentagon spokesman Brig Gen Pat Ryder told reporters.

The balloon spent a week flying over the United States and Canada before the US military shot it down off the Atlantic coast on Biden’s orders.

More soon …

:aaaaa:

I keep seeing talk of different factions in the US government and how the "realists" in Pentagon are less psycho because they'll actually have to fight any conflict that the neo-cons in the state department gets them into.

the Pentagon were also the ones that initially said that the china-cuba spy agreement was bullshit

....oh my god the celestial has infiltrated US military

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

crepeface posted:

I keep seeing talk of different factions in the US government and how the "realists" in Pentagon are less psycho because they'll actually have to fight any conflict that the neo-cons in the state department gets them into.

the Pentagon were also the ones that initially said that the china-cuba spy agreement was bullshit

....oh my god the celestial has infiltrated US military

it's really interesting to see these power struggles play out in the open and in real time

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I forgot if it came up here or elsewhere but it's hard to imagine Chinese subterfuge managing to sabotage American policy or economies any harder than America already has

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Slavvy posted:

sky trash

if you're not from zeta reticuli that's not your word

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the wily chinese clearly sent a spy balloon that didn't record anything just to see how the us would react :tinfoil:

unfortunately it turned out that the us still does react like it always has, by picking the dumbest and most violent option available

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
So called left wing Dutch papers continue to print that the balloon was found to be full of spying equipment after being recovered whenever they write about China.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Orange Devil posted:

So called left wing Dutch papers continue to print that the balloon was found to be full of spying equipment after being recovered whenever they write about China.

free press is when lying with plausible deniability

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
The Chinese sent a spy balloon that didn't spy, to show they could spy on the US if they wanted to

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

what

what

random Reddit comment I found that I literally trust more than anything. like even if it’s horseshit why wouldn’t any media anywhere ever actually do any investigation at all

I doubt this was a spy balloon.
The weather has to line up between China and the USA in order to ensure the balloon will be carried by the upper jet stream over the US. China can't just decide one day to launch a balloon to the US, conditions have to be right.
Even if the jet steam lines up, the conditions on the ground might prevent a launch, too windy at the launch site and/or upper level winds might cause wind shear, ripping the balloon as it ascends.
https://youtu.be/sPQ-tMoAHkY?t=423
So even if the jet stream lines up, it might not be possible to launch.
To me it strongly suggests it's not possible to reliably launch a balloon that can float predictably over a distant target area. So the idea it was a spy balloon is rediculous.
Also, yes, I know ppl are going to say it changed direction, no it didn't.
Retracing it's path, by assuming it passively the followed the winds i.e. was not changing course, put its launch site in China.
https://twitter.com/wildweatherdan/status/1621348631977623552
That backtracking is not possible if it adjusted its course.
Meterologits also correcting predicted it course between Kansas City and South Carolina, again by assuming it wasn't changing course by just passively following the wind.
It followed the wind from Point A to Point B because the winds lined up, by chance, and ground conditions allowed a launch at that time, by chance.
TLDR: It's not a spy balloon because there's no control over its course, where it travels over.
Also, China did advertise a heavy lift scientific balloon project...
The flight test was conducted in northwestern China's Qinghai Province on September 30, 2022, by a research team from the Aerospace Information Research Institute (AIR) of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), marking a further step in the development of China's high-altitude balloon platform.
Delivering payloads from the ground to the stratospheric region known as "near-space," the balloon platform can carry tons of scientific instruments, especially large-sized ones such as unmanned air vehicles over aerial-based launches.
https://phys.org/news/2022-11-heavy-payload-balloon-near-space-heights.html
That's the rough location the balloon shot down is predicated to have come from by backtracking its course.
https://twitter.com/wildweatherdan/status/1621348631977623552
Here's more info about the flight
Honghu Special Project (Near Space Science Experiment System) a strategic pilot technology program launched by the Chinese Academy of Sciences on March 2018. It focuses on the exploration and study of the near space environment, and relies on multi-type platforms to carry out the comprehensive detection of the near space with the most complete range of parameters possible.
Original Chinese press release, translated:
2022 is the rising year of the 25th solar cycle, and it is also the final year of the Honghu Pilot Project. The scientific goal of the space center's experiment is to obtain comprehensive environmental detection data such as the variation characteristics of the sun's far-ultraviolet-ultraviolet spectrum, ozone content, and atmospheric environmental parameters (wind field, temperature, and air pressure) at near space altitudes. Four payloads (solar high-energy electromagnetic radiation detector, ozone detector, anemometer, and atmospheric particle radiation detector) developed by the weather room and detection room of the space center participated in the flight experiment.
The date of the press release is dated a week after HH-21-6 was launched. So I don't think they advertise these launches beforehand, which is typical for China. They rather report afterward when the experiment is a success.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s so stupid

they have satellites with which to spy on the USA

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

euphronius posted:

it’s so stupid

they have satellites with which to spy on the USA

they also have me

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

fart simpson posted:

they also have me

and me

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

hey a movie! starring everybody

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

China is going to steal the fabulous Baseball Diamond

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
"what color are their hands now"

"DONT ANSWER THAT"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

lol

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Oof. How likely are they to get the whole sum?

Miles Blundell
May 7, 2023

by Pragmatica
I don't think ransomware gets paid out very often, since data is infinitely replicable and the ransomers can just sell it afterwards anyways.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Miles Blundell posted:

I don't think ransomware gets paid out very often, since data is infinitely replicable and the ransomers can just sell it afterwards anyways.

I thought they locked your systems down, like they don’t need your data so much as you need your computers online for your hospital to work. Maybe the data is just extra bonus but the main pain point is that every computer you have is out of commission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miles Blundell
May 7, 2023

by Pragmatica
I never really had the impression that those kinds of shutouts last for very long and that generally they can get back in eventually, but I don't really know the specifics, I'm not an infosec guy. Maybe for something as high stakes and expensive as tsmc they'll just pay out and hope for the best?