Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
snip

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Should know sometime this morning.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Thom12255 posted:

Should know sometime this morning.

10 am EST is when they will start opinions and (most likely) crush some dreams.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Some links if you want to follow along:

https://www.scotusblog.com/2023/06/announcement-of-opinions-for-friday-june-30-2/

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/slipopinion/22

First is a live thread with people in the courtroom and the 2nd is where they publish opinions.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

10 am EST is when they will start opinions and (most likely) crush some dreams.

The fact that the decision is being held to the very last minute might actually mean that they'll let it go through. Roberts has grown a lot more conscious of trying to not completely shred the political popularity of the court, so if he's looking at a bunch of decisions from the conservative majority that are gonna get people upset, but he's got a ruling that will let the debt forgiveness happen, then it would make sense to leave that ruling for the very last possible day so that it becomes the main topic of conversation (and drowns out discussion of the other rulings that are less popular).

At the very least, I think if they were going to block the forgiveness, I think Roberts would have had that decision released on the same day as they released the North Carolina decision (since that would slightly placate the conservatives who were so upset).

Then again, maybe I'm really off base here. I guess we'll find out in 8 minutes...

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

They just green lit full bore theocracy, so I doubt there's much reputation to preserve

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
First student loan case, Dept of Education v. Brown. Unanimous -- no standing.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Unanimous Brown has no standing

Still waiting on the 2nd one

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Dead.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Yep, I called that one wrong.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Welp. We've got thirty days until pain resumes, right?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Kammat posted:

October 1st.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Kammat posted:

Interest resumes September and Payments October.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

gently caress

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

quote:

The key snippet on standing, which rests on MOHELA as we discussed before opinions started: "By law and function, MOHELA is an instrumentality of Missouri: It was created by the State to further a public purpose, is governed by state officials and state appointees, reports to the STate, and may be dissolved by the State. The [debt forgiveness] plan will cut MOHELA's revenues, impairing its efforts to aid Missouri college students. This acknowledged harm to MOHELA in the performance of its public function is necessarily a direct injury to Missouri itself."

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

quote:

On the merits of the plan, the Biden administration had relied on the HEROES Act, a post-9/11 law that allows the Secretary of Education to "waive or modify any statutory or regulatory provision applicable to the student financial assistance programs . . . as the Secretary deems necessary in connection with a war or other military operation or national emergency."

Having found that the states had standing to sue based on MOHELA, the court today said that the Biden administration could not rely on the HEROES Act for its student-loan forgiveness plan. "The authority to 'modify' statutes and regulations allows the Secretary to make modest adjustments and additions to existing regulations," Roberts wrote, "not transform them."

The "modifications" by the Department of Education, Roberts continues, "created a novel and fundamentally different loan forgiveness program" that "expanded forgiveness to nearly every borrower in the country."

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Doesn't the change to % of income that can be used for payments still apply regardless?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Zotix posted:

Doesn't the change to % of income that can be used for payments still apply regardless?

Yes, the new IDR plan was not part of the lawsuit. It still isn't available yet, but it is supposed to be up in the next 1-2 months.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yes, the new IDR plan was not part of the lawsuit. It still isn't available yet, but it is supposed to be up in the next 1-2 months.

So that would more or less cut payments roughly in half for most people right?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Zotix posted:

So that would more or less cut payments roughly in half for most people right?

Depends on income and what your current payments are.

If you make less than ~$34k as a single person, then the payments are $0.

Someone making $50k would owe around $60 per month.

You can get a rough estimate with the calculator here:

https://www.studentloanplanner.com/income-based-repayment-calculator/

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Easy-ish way out of this is for Biden's DoE to announce that payments are starting back up at .01% of discretionary income and it will stay that way as long as he's President. lovely ruling.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Zoph posted:

Easy-ish way out of this is for Biden's DoE to announce that payments are starting back up at .01% of discretionary income and it will stay that way as long as he's President. lovely ruling.

That doesn't address interest accrual which is a big problem

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Zoph posted:

I don’t think he’ll do that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Maybe something? Probably nothing?

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1674792508231159818?s=61&t=fWsm-upldseXptBaVlet9Q

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Just bring back the pause.

Emergency is the Supreme Court is flagrantly corrupt and politicized.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
It'll be some weak "now the creditors have to tell you 60 days before they take your house! And they have to file paperwork in triplicate!" half measure.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
It's not going to be anything more than "oh well we tried" and some pandering about "keep fighting" or whatever.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

We've got to gently caress over former students so lenders will have the resources to gently caress over future students

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

Just bring back the pause.

Emergency is the Supreme Court is flagrantly corrupt and politicized.

Biden gave away his authority to do that last month in the negotiations on the debt ceiling bill. Payments restarting this fall is now law.

E: source
https://studentaid.gov/announcements-events/covid-19

quote:

Congress recently passed a law preventing further extensions of the payment pause. Student loan interest will resume starting on Sept. 1, 2023, and payments will be due starting in October.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 30, 2023

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

it is very likely that new idr plan slash rework slash what the hell ever they announced a while back

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Yeah I’m not sure what ‘new actions’ are actually available. The new IDR plan is already on the cusp of rolling out and the authority to extend the pause was ceded for the debt ceiling.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What is the likelihood people start suing the new IDR changes now that the main forgiveness is dead?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

buglord posted:

What is the likelihood people start suing the new IDR changes now that the main forgiveness is dead?

Conservatives want to punish young people for voting for solidly democrats so probably 100%

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Those changes weren't really widely publicized so they don't have any momentum behind striking them down. I would guess that most of the people who oppose student loan forgiveness don't actually know how the system works and don't realize that this means people will just be paying pennies anyway. Their entire view on this issue was "giving money to liberals=bad."

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

The Illusive Man posted:

Yeah I’m not sure what ‘new actions’ are actually available. The new IDR plan is already on the cusp of rolling out and the authority to extend the pause was ceded for the debt ceiling.

Would it be realistic for Joe to direct the CFPB to tell credit agencies to ignore unpaid student loan debt like they did for small medical bills?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i think the reasoning was because of using the covid law, so if biden uses the heavy hammer of the executive i think it'd be kosher. i just wouldn't expect him to

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

i say swears online posted:

i think the reasoning was because of using the covid law, so if biden uses the heavy hammer of the executive i think it'd be kosher. i just wouldn't expect him to

IIRC the decision seems to imply that anything other than Congress cancelling debt would be struck down so I doubt they'd be fine with another executive action.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

IIRC the decision seems to imply that anything other than Congress cancelling debt would be struck down so I doubt they'd be fine with another executive action.

If the opposition can just throw poo poo against the wall until it sticks, the Executive should, too.

gently caress it, tie it to the Agribusiness Act of 1822. Issue an EO. Who gives a gently caress.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

zimbomonkey posted:

Those changes weren't really widely publicized so they don't have any momentum behind striking them down. I would guess that most of the people who oppose student loan forgiveness don't actually know how the system works and don't realize that this means people will just be paying pennies anyway. Their entire view on this issue was "giving money to liberals=bad."
Most rank and file conservatives no, the billionaires and superPACs funding these lawsuits probably know how loans work though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

buglord posted:

Anyone can try to file a lawsuit any time they want, but there's no guarantee that a court would give it the time of day. Payment plan changes are completely different from loan forgiveness.