Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

I think part of the issue is, the only other points of comparison we have are the Kharkiv and Kherson counter-offensives from last year, both of which for whatever reasons were a lot faster.

No other war is similar enough to use as a reference point: older wars had different tech, modern wars usually involved lots of guerrilla fighting (and sea/air power if the West was involved).

So if someone - not Zaluzhny, who has more important things to do - argues "the current counter-offensive is proceeding at normal speed", they must necessarily explain why the 2022 offensives were both abnormally fast, rather than this one being abnormally slow.

I've made several posts earlier in this thread precisely about why the Kharkiv and Kherson counteroffensives were a mixed danger because while abnormally effective, they've really done damage in setting unrealistically high expectations and here we are now with pundits going WHY NOT DONE??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Also again and again, it must be pointed out that for months the Kherson offensive was NOT proceeding super quickly and it was mostly brought up accompanied by concerns that reports said there was heavy fighting, slow going and high casualties.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1674515594866053120?s=20

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

I've made several posts earlier in this thread precisely about why the Kharkiv and Kherson counteroffensives were a mixed danger because while abnormally effective, they've really done damage in setting unrealistically high expectations and here we are now with pundits going WHY NOT DONE??

Everyone just wants it to be German Panzers dicking it through the Ardennes in 1940.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

only bulge being battled is the russian generals putting on paunches

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Alan Smithee posted:

only bulge being battled is the russian generals putting on paunches

Or that fatso from yesterday's mobik home video complaining about not having enough food and water.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

spankmeister posted:

I hear there was school shooting in Springfield.

Massachusetts was particularly uncreative with stuff like:

Acton, Middlesex County, England

Acton, Middlesex County, Massachusetts

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
American settlers named so many towns after places in England to remind posterity that no matter how far you run, you can't escape the devil because he lives in your heart.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i mean what else you gonna call the gloomiest place in america

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

i mean what else you gonna call the gloomiest place in america

home?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Where's General Orb at these days? You remember, that one extremely fat gently caress from last summer

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

American settlers named so many towns after places in England to remind posterity that no matter how far you run, you can't escape the devil because he lives in your heart.

I mean, it's a nation of immigrants; there's like a thousand cities/towns named for other places

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1674685451091992580
:frogout: forever

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Hahahaha get hosed farage, now let's do the same for tucker

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I wonder if this might be related since prigozhin was responsible for Cambridge analytica and other Russian interference into elections lmao

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1674789407981977600?t=MVObWmGS1gbbYiY8r_QU_A&s=19

Also lol oryx I feel ya

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1674776788856373250?t=3i9nxOTb7de2leN7Qarmjw&s=19

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

HonorableTB posted:

I wonder if this might be related since prigozhin was responsible for Cambridge analytica and other Russian interference into elections lmao

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1674789407981977600?t=MVObWmGS1gbbYiY8r_QU_A&s=19

Also lol oryx I feel ya

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1674776788856373250?t=3i9nxOTb7de2leN7Qarmjw&s=19

It's a T-101M

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Twitter wants me to log in all of a sudden. Is that a new thing, or something on my end?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I can't figure out what the gently caress that silver looking thing is. It looks like a DIY turbojet lol

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

THE BAR posted:

Twitter wants me to log in all of a sudden. Is that a new thing, or something on my end?

They’ve been requiring login to view certain posts for a while now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

THE BAR posted:

Probably Musky's latest idea to boost registrations, you can use nitter.net for now

Zwabu posted:

For "adult" content, now its' for everything

THE BAR posted:

Rocket pod from a helicopter

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Zwabu posted:

Odd. It's all of them as of today, and I haven't encountered any in ages.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

HonorableTB posted:

I can't figure out what the gently caress that silver looking thing is. It looks like a DIY turbojet lol

I think that is a helicopter rocket pod. The kind used to fire tons of little dumbfire rockets as ground support.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

HonorableTB posted:

Looks like a rocket pod for a helicopter.

Going to go with FilthFire off the name list.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

THE BAR posted:

same here, every Twitter link is requiring a login.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Haha if that's a rocket pod then I see some... Flaws with the weapon design he-

You know what, carry on trashed titan

Russian colonization in action:

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1674796949881626624?t=nIbN0B3XUDqZ68PWcMS4nA&s=19

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Doctor Butts posted:

Prig is such a loving idiot.

All he had to do was sack the capital of the people employing him like a real mercenary would. Is that so hard? And he chickened out! Look at this Prig's small balls. That's what all the other mercenaries are saying.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

HonorableTB posted:

Haha if that's a rocket pod then I see some... Flaws with the weapon design he-

You know what, carry on trashed titan

Russian colonization in action:

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1674796949881626624?t=nIbN0B3XUDqZ68PWcMS4nA&s=19

6 months later: "Ukrainians stole my washer dryer :qq:"

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I think I played this C&C Generals Mod, but it was a GLA unit.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Ugh, Russia is going to have the worst, most unjustified "stabbed in the back" narrative going after the war. I can just tell.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Haystack posted:

Ugh, Russia is going to have the worst, most unjustified "stabbed in the back" narrative going after the war. I can just tell.

they already do

it's for the Great Patriotic War

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
Yeah, it's a helicopter rocket pod. Not really a new concept--technicals using rocket pods like that were pretty common in Syria, Libya, etc.

No idea how effective they are, though.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 30, 2023

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Hopefully people who sell those apartments are rightful owners who plan to scam the idiots and get back when Marupol is freed and the morons flee

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

HonorableTB posted:

Huh, does it mean we might see less trolls on social media?

... probably not, I guess some other oligarch will just take over.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gervasius posted:

I think I played this C&C Generals Mod, but it was a GLA unit.

"Scorpion tank ready to sting!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

free hubcaps posted:

Oh baby this is one of the sexiest yet

I really hope they have a crew manning the gun at the same time they're firing off the rocket pod

Warhammer, nothing. That is a Dune 2 unit.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

I’m sure the society that tracked mimeograph machines and typewriters would definitely have been down with open dialogue over the internet.

Production through the roof, if your main measurement is imprisoned dissidents.

I had been thinking this earlier but every joke I tried to tell about it ended up tortured and unfunny even to my own ears so I just didn’t post

Ty for pulling it off with style

burning swine
May 26, 2004

THE BAR posted:

this definitely changed today. You can use nitter.net as an alternative and/or install the browser plugin which just does a redirect when you visit a twitter url:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/nitter-redirect/mohaicophfnifehkkkdbcejkflmgfkof

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

What’s the most realistic prognosis for how far Ukraine goes in this offensive?

Sorry if this betrays a lack of confidence in a complete and total victory.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

6 months later: "Ukrainians stole my washer dryer :qq:"

"Why are you bloodlusty bloodlusters orgying about civilians suffering" - Some stupid m*******cker posting to this thread when the first colonists appear on social media complaining how they had to run away with the Russian army and abandon their investments because Ukrainians want their stuff back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Joke Miriam posted:

What’s the most realistic prognosis for how far Ukraine goes in this offensive?

Melitopol?

It depends on the river crossing and how long it takes to get to Tokmak.

And if Russia descends into another barbarian war