Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I think they're still at the throwing money around to get people to use it stage

Yup I have $15 from the Professor's promo code and I should use it sooner rather than later if I'm going to use it at all. Even if I just buy a $10 autographed Swamp from him so I know I'm not getting scammed by some rando, it's worth the story when I put it into an EDH deck.

My friend has won a collector booster (not LotR) and other random stuff just from idly having it on his phone and tapping the enter giveaway buttons, but the whole app looks cheap and every streamer looks desperate with their sloppy streaming stations with Sharpie'd signs everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

https://www.psacard.com/cert/77032826
Lol that they went with PSA instead of BGS. Probably a Pokemon collector who opened it.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
does psa do sub grades

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

does psa do sub grades

They do not, and they're also known to be way more lenient on grades.
Which is why I said they're probably a Pokemon player who opened it, PSA is the preferred for Pokemon because card quality is low and they give more 10s.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

GonSmithe posted:

https://www.psacard.com/cert/77032826
Lol that they went with PSA instead of BGS. Probably a Pokemon collector who opened it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Now the question is, does the singles market shoot up since less product will be opened? Does the sealed market topple without the One Ring to boost it anymore? Both?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

AlternateNu posted:

Does the sealed market topple without the One Ring to boost it anymore? Both?

boxes are already crashing lol

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

AlternateNu posted:

Now the question is, does the singles market shoot up since less product will be opened? Does the sealed market topple without the One Ring to boost it anymore? Both?

The only thing that's certain is that the Nazgul aren't going down in price anywhere near enough anytime soon

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

AlternateNu posted:

Singles will probably stay low for a long while, theres already been a lot of packs cracked.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Other posted:

The only thing that's certain is that the Nazgul aren't going down in price anywhere near enough anytime soon

Explain to me why? What is the hype around this card?

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Sickening posted:

All nine have different arts and they're some of the rarer uncommons.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Oh no. I haven't checked out the green dot on newer cards and of course its just a picture... but isn't the black dots being a circle instead of filled in a bad sign?

nah, this is just my brain not wanting it to be real

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 30, 2023

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Sickening posted:

People want to run playsets of nine, each with the different art. So each one is a lot rarer than an uncommon would appear

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Can't even draft collector boosters and all the money cards are also in draft boosters except the 1 or 2 box toppers worth real money (nazgul, delighted halfling, bowmasters, the one ring). They're going to crash so hard, they're basically worthless.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

they found it...

https://twitter.com/dacardworld/status/1674775833553121282?t=TAdfxrL5u1Fhy83nFRPd2A&s=19

yeah sorry. exactly what you said. it's no longer a illegal scam. just a lovely thing to do. assuming ebay even sides with them.

Dang, I honestly thought it would end up being a couple years before it popped up in a random pack somewhere

People must be REALLY buying the boxes. I wonder if value tanks after it's officially gone

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

nazgul is an uncommon that is not an uncommon. it is harder to pull than it is to pull a mythic in a rare/mythic slot. in non-foil uncommon showcase slot of the collector booster, you will get about 1 in a box. in the foil slot you can pull a nazgul in about 1 in 4 collector boxes.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

A Moose posted:

Can't even draft collector boosters and all the money cards are also in draft boosters except the 1 or 2 box toppers worth real money (nazgul, delighted halfling, bowmasters, the one ring). They're going to crash so hard, they're basically worthless.

Nah, Surge Foils are absurdly loving rare also, most of the Surge Foils will probably go down a little but retain high prices.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Strong Sauce posted:

nazgul is an uncommon that is not an uncommon. it is harder to pull than it is to pull a mythic in a rare/mythic slot. in non-foil uncommon showcase slot of the collector booster, you will get about 1 in a box. in the foil slot you can pull a nazgul in about 1 in 4 collector boxes.

Dang, is that community data or straight from WotC? I might pick up a box of set boosters if prices drop to normal, and I was hoping for some nazgul to make a dumb deck. Gonna make a 10-deck battle box since me and everyone I know loves LotR

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Doubt there are counterfeits of Nazgul and I don't give a poo poo about the unique arts but I do wanna try out a Frodo deck so I'll probably just end up with some Zendikar blanks Nazguls instead

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I have two Nazgûls and one of them is foil. Neat!

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Dang, I honestly thought it would end up being a couple years before it popped up in a random pack somewhere

People must be REALLY buying the boxes. I wonder if value tanks after it's officially gone

Collector boxes are alreadg dropping like a rock

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Strong Sauce posted:

Isn't it also just a regular uncommon in draft boosters?

Like, all the normal no-special-treatment uncommons are also pretty rare when it comes to the odds of getting them in collector boosters. The thing about the nazgul is that they're an uncommon that people actually want, in larger numbers than the usual demand (9 instead of 1 for commander players or 4 for multiformat constructed roleplayers), and people have been going nuts on collector boosters relative to the amount of drafting the set has seen.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

big cummers ONLY posted:

Dang, is that community data or straight from WotC? I might pick up a box of set boosters if prices drop to normal, and I was hoping for some nazgul to make a dumb deck. Gonna make a 10-deck battle box since me and everyone I know loves LotR

they have percentages on their collecting LOTR page. i've also tracked some boxes to verify that it's in that ballpark. no idea about set booster pull rate though. there is the default art nazgul in the draft boxes but i don't know if that's really an uncommon or also difficult to pull.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Collector boxes are alreadg dropping like a rock

Where are they dropping like a rock? I wanted to pick up a collector box or two after the one ring was found.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Hah, art card Nazguls are going up and in low stock.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

art cards are some of my favorite proxies, especially if you know what the card does.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Same. You can tell there's at least a decent size group of folks who also use art cards as proxies since those specific staple singles. Still a hearty discount, but in a sea of like 9 cent cards when anything shoots up to dollars it's noticeable.

Others seem to go overlooked, like nabbed a set of trilands from Capenna and they were all pennies cheap still.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

The TCC Professor was pushing the conspiracy theory in multiple of his videos, it's going to be funny if it's real because he has a WhatNot stream tonight where he's giving away 24 CB boxes.

Holy poo poo that's right, also those of us that never bothered to get twitter accounts can't see Twitter links anymore.

Can't see what he said.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 30, 2023

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

LifeLynx posted:

The TCC Professor was pushing the conspiracy theory in multiple of his videos, it's going to be funny if it's real because he has a WhatNot stream tonight where he's giving away 24 CB boxes.

https://twitter.com/TolarianCollege/status/1674817883564806144?t=t6HNo11HYec-lhbjrJ2NOg&s=19

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

LifeLynx posted:

Yup I have $15 from the Professor's promo code and I should use it sooner rather than later if I'm going to use it at all. Even if I just buy a $10 autographed Swamp from him so I know I'm not getting scammed by some rando, it's worth the story when I put it into an EDH deck.

My friend has won a collector booster (not LotR) and other random stuff just from idly having it on his phone and tapping the enter giveaway buttons, but the whole app looks cheap and every streamer looks desperate with their sloppy streaming stations with Sharpie'd signs everywhere.

This is exactly the way to use Whatnot. They want to get you on with giveaways to tempt you to buy, and then everyone on there overcharges for product and hits you with shipping fees. The vast majority of Whatnot is basically gambling, where you “buy” a random spin of a wheel or a pull from some long box that has one Taiga in it and everything else is like fifty cent cards. However, if you can stand to listen to amateurs stream-selling their poo poo, you can win some freebies by just tapping “Enter” whenever a giveaway pops. I’ve won a couple of free packs and promo cards that way. Just for the love of god don’t buy anything (unless you’ve got the promo credit like Prof is giving out).

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Sickening posted:

It's a 1/2 with deeathtouch that immediately becomes a 2/3 because of its trigger when the ring tempts you, it tempts you on etb and you can have 9 per deck. It's basically the best card for Tempted synergies, and fits into the best Tempted based commander decks (Frodo, Sauron's Bane and Smeagol)

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

LifeLynx posted:

His last stream he was selling designed copies of Jon Irenicus for $10, and I figured that was the best use of the promo credit. Watching most anything on Whatnot is boring as poo poo and most of it is gambling or scams.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
"Mythic uncommons" always seemed like a conspiracy theory to me. Lots of anecdotal stories like "I only got one in my box!", ignoring that they also got only one of some limited-playable uncommons as well. I'd have to see some evidence over a large collection of boxes to prove to me that Wizards brought back the U1, U2, and U3 rarities from Homelands days.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Infidel Castro posted:

His last stream he was selling designed copies of Jon Irenicus for $10, and I figured that was the best use of the promo credit. Watching most anything on Whatnot is boring as poo poo and most of it is gambling or scams.

I never spent my free whatnot credit just because it seemed like I needed to wait to watch a stream for moments to try and buy or something else that didn't seem as straight forward as add to cart, order thing. And maybe it needed me to use the app? Idk it was sometimes last year and I couldn't stick it out to watch a stream of ..???

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

LifeLynx posted:

"Mythic uncommons" always seemed like a conspiracy theory to me. Lots of anecdotal stories like "I only got one in my box!", ignoring that they also got only one of some limited-playable uncommons as well. I'd have to see some evidence over a large collection of boxes to prove to me that Wizards brought back the U1, U2, and U3 rarities from Homelands days.

I thought "mythic uncommons" was a reference to power level, not rarity

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

LifeLynx posted:

The mythic uncommon stuff is a nonsense.

However with the Nazgul there are 9 separate arts so each individual art is quite rare if you want one of each.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

It's possible that some of the art shows up less frequently than other variants of the Nazghul, but I'm guessing the high price for it is just due to everyone wanting to run them wanting 2-9x the normal amount of copies you would run, and it seems more scarce because... well, see previous point.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Strong Sauce posted:

they have percentages on their collecting LOTR page. i've also tracked some boxes to verify that it's in that ballpark. no idea about set booster pull rate though. there is the default art nazgul in the draft boxes but i don't know if that's really an uncommon or also difficult to pull.
For collector boosters:
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/feature/collecting-the-lord-of-the-rings-tales-of-middle-earth

edit: looking around it says they show up at the same rate for all boxes... so 9% of a draft box is about 10? set boosters would be 6? seems like foil ones will be the actual difficult ones.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Strong Sauce posted:

For collector boosters:
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/feature/collecting-the-lord-of-the-rings-tales-of-middle-earth

edit: looking around it says they show up at the same rate for all boxes... so 9% of a draft box is about 10? set boosters would be 6? seems like foil ones will be the actual difficult ones.

Thanks for finding this. I don't expect to pull 9 nazguls no matter what I end up buying, but I'm glad I can still probably get a few of them