Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Judgy Fucker posted:

“Ron deSanctimonious” is too much of a mouthful. Wonder if “Radioactive Ron” could catch on.

Ron DecaySantis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

zoux posted:

institutional inertia, cross-pressuring, and the ebb and flow of politics.

zoux posted:

a blank wall.

:thunk: these don't seem to describe the same things. Maybe you should try being objective

Or squinting

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A day after landing in the worst possible political situation - that is instantly escalating into publicly accusing an octagenarian literal Holocaust survivor of being a slave owner for asking him a question sternly- NYC Mayor Eric Adams has chosen to post through it.
https://twitter.com/JCColtin/status/1674777951475494913

Who was the last normal NYC mayor. Dinkins?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Harold Fjord posted:

:thunk: these don't seem to describe the same things. Maybe you should try being objective

Or squinting

What's "objective" about a conspiracy theory with no real evidence?

"Democrats don't all agree on the same things publicly but they do in secret and just decide which of them takes the blame, they could easily have Manchin vote any way they wanted but just don't"

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Rotating villain theory is just incorrect, nothing more complicated than that. The senate has been approving all the judges that only one of Manchin and Sinema opposed because rotating villain theory is wrong.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Harold Fjord posted:

You can think that but not seeing the magic eye image doesn't make you smarter than everyone who sees it

"Heh, lots of stupid people calling this a boat"

If you have evidence to support the claim that Hillary ran up the score in blue states to make the statement to the left 'We don't need you, we can win without you' and have a mandate with no obligation to even do the bare minimum to improve things for the majority, then go for it. That's the claim you're so passionately defending, while accusing others who point out it's nonsense of making personal attacks.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Who was the last normal NYC mayor. Dinkins?
Yeah, definitely. And the last good one was John Lindsay, which was so long ago that he was a liberal Republican.

e: Actually I think DeBlasio fell into the "normal, just not good" category. Adams is the weirdest one yet which is really something when your competition is Rudy and Bloomberg.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
de Blasio was just freakishly large, his policy and behavior were all boringly normal

The weirdest thing I can think of him doing was (accidentally) killing a groundhog during a groundhog day ceremony

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
“Mindfulness” is often used in a corporate setting as a way to say to their employees, “if you’re stressed out, it’s your own fault.” (Don’t even get me started on “wellness.”) But I actually like the idea of kids taking a moment for therapeutic breathing during the school day a lot. It’s weird as hell to have it come from the mayor’s office in a city of eight million people, though.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Back in my day we called that the moment of nondenominational* prayer and/or silence

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Mellow Seas posted:

“Mindfulness” is often used in a corporate setting as a way to say to their employees, “if you’re stressed out, it’s your own fault.” (Don’t even get me started on “wellness.”) But I actually like the idea of kids taking a moment for therapeutic breathing during the school day a lot. It’s weird as hell to have it come from the mayor’s office in a city of eight million people, though.

Yeah, teaching kids coping skills with stress like mindful breathing, etc. doesn’t really smack as some hippy-dippy idea. As far as what I know of Adams, this is actually one of his better policy proposals.

And based on my limited experience with NYC, New Yorkers really could stand to chill the gently caress out a bit. Or a lot.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Harold Fjord posted:

You can think that but not seeing the magic eye image doesn't make you smarter than everyone who sees it

"Heh, lots of stupid people calling this a boat"

The neat thing about magic eye images is that the composites you see aren't actually there, it's your mind playing tricks on you. You're telling on yourself when you use that as your analogy for a conspiracy theory that you believe in.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1674792989124853762

IMO, this ruling is very unsuprising. We'll see what Biden's response will be, with this being announced in the link:

quote:

White House officials say President Biden will denounce the court ruling in remarks later today and will “announce new actions to protect student loan borrowers.” It is unclear what those new actions will be, but there are some other — more limited — programs that could help some borrowers.

I'm assuming at a minimum they will extend the loan repayment pause. We'll see what else is announced.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Magic eye images do reflect information contained in the dots, you just have to use your eyes in an abnormal way to perceive it

Kalit posted:

I'm assuming at a minimum they will extend the loan repayment pause. We'll see what else is announced.

Yeah, that seems like a natural solution- just don't issue the orders necessary to restart debt collection. Biden can ensure that no one pays for the rest of his term and then say "vote for me if you want to continue not paying for another four years". What's the court going to do, order someone else to collect it?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
wasn't part of the debt ceiling bill basically Biden pinky-swearing that he wouldn't put off the end of the pause anymore?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kalit posted:

Biden cut a deal during the debt ceiling talks to end the repayment pause in October. Unclear if that's set legislatively or if he's just going to honor the agreement to keep his word to the GOP.

Also, he has the power to wipe out whatever student debt he wants to. He used a dumb legislative tactic built around a covid emergency law instead of using the law that says "the president can do whatever he wants with student debt." He did this because they knew it wouldn't survive a court challenge.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1674794439657795591

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Do the long-term reforms that were announced along with the forgiveness program still stand? Even as someone who would've really appreciated forgiveness being upheld those seemed more significant.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That’s some cynical poo poo but I’m sure he’s right

Just classic Modern Democrats.txt poo poo

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

PostNouveau posted:

Biden cut a deal during the debt ceiling talks to end the repayment pause in October. Unclear if that's set legislatively or if he's just going to honor the agreement to keep his word to the GOP.

Also, he has the power to wipe out whatever student debt he wants to. He used a dumb legislative tactic built around a covid emergency law instead of using the law that says "the president can do whatever he wants with student debt." He did this because they knew it wouldn't survive a court challenge.

Screwing over his voters to honor a deal with Republicans seems like a bad move!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Motto posted:

Do the long-term reforms that were announced along with the forgiveness program still stand? Even as someone who would've really appreciated forgiveness being upheld those seemed more significant.
That’s not going to be affected by this ruling

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Also, he has the power to wipe out whatever student debt he wants to. He used a dumb legislative tactic built around a covid emergency law instead of using the law that says "the president can do whatever he wants with student debt."

It's going to, like everything, take congressional action to resolve. There is no unilateral action the President could've taken that would've passed muster with this court.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

uPen posted:

Screwing over his voters to honor a deal with Republicans seems like a bad move!

Joe Biden is the reason student loans can't be discharged in bankruptcy. It was foolish to think he was ever behind any kind of relief for debtors.

https://theintercept.com/2020/01/07/joe-biden-student-loans/

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

PostNouveau posted:

I'm a little confused by this, what law says "the president can do whatever he wants with student debt."?

That article you linked is fairly long and I don't really want to read a full analysis by Yglesias. I tried looking through this article to try to find what you're referring to and the closest I found is this:

quote:

Once upon a time, I thought Joe Biden was likely to take office facing high unemployment, low inflation, and a GOP-controlled senate.

In other words, it would be an economy that badly needed fiscal stimulus but where fiscal stimulus would be hard to achieve. Under the circumstances, student loan forgiveness had a very attractive property — Biden could do it.

The reason is that back in the Obama administration, congress changed the student loan program from one where the federal government mainly guaranteed loans made by private banks to one where the federal government makes the loans itself. Since Treasury is the bank, the president can choose to simply not collect the loans. This theory has never really been litigated and it’s possible it could totally flop in court. But based on what people with actual law degrees have told me, it seems likely to prevail in part because it’s not clear who could sue to stop it or on what grounds or how a court victory for opponents would even work.
Is this what you're referring to? Not collecting loans is not the same as loan forgiveness. While both affects the DoE budget in the short term in the same way, loan forgiveness is permanent and not collecting loans only lasts until someone in charge of the DoE says "start collecting again".

Please let me know if I'm mis-interpreting what you were referring to.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

It's going to, like everything, take congressional action to resolve.

They're talking about the HEROES Act, which allows the president to gently caress around with loans during emergencies.

The Department of Education has the power to decide what gets collected on from the Higher Education Act of 1965. It's directly enumerated and obviously in the secretary of education's power.

Here is an evaluation of how it's possible

https://www.warren.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Ltr%20to%20Warren%20re%20admin%20debt%20cancellation.pdf

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 30, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"Inherent in a mass debt cancellation program" is the cite I'm, uh, citing. I'm confident that this court would've overruled any executive action on debt relief.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

"Inherent in a mass debt cancellation program" is the cite I'm, uh, citing. I'm confident that this court would've overruled any executive action on debt relief.

I'm sure they would have no problem going "The law that says very clearly the secretary of education has this power doesn't mean it because [insert bad rationale here]"

I'm saying the Biden administration never wanted this to happen because they ignored the obvious path to student debt relief and instead used a dubious one. And they did so, according to Yglesias' sources, BECAUSE it would be struck down.

This administration can't be trusted on this issue. The only path forward, as always, is mass labor action.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

They're talking about the HEROES Act, which allows the president to gently caress around with loans during emergencies.

The Department of Education has the power to decide what gets collected on from the Higher Education Act of 1965. It's directly enumerated and obviously in the secretary of education's power.

Here is an evaluation of how it's possible

https://www.warren.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Ltr%20to%20Warren%20re%20admin%20debt%20cancellation.pdf

Eh, just because Harvard Law states it's legal doesn't mean it'll stand up to the courts. There were legal experts on both sides of whether or not the DoE doing a mass student loan forgiveness would survive a court challenge of executive overreach or not.

For a clear example where a legal expert was completely wrong, the assistant AG in the Office of Legal Counsel stated that going the HEROES act route would be legal (which is why Biden chose this route): https://www.justice.gov/olc/file/1528451/download

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kalit posted:

I'm not sure how much room he really has to extend it. Congressional support for Biden's student loan measures hasn't held up that well. Just this month, an attempt to end the suspension and cancel the forgiveness passed the Senate 52-46*, though Biden vetoed it.

This has been the fundamental problem with a lot of Biden's progressive measures in general: Biden's own positions are to the left of what the thin Democratic majority in the Senate can settle on, so he's had trouble mustering even 50 votes for progressive legislation, let alone 60. Without being able to count on Congressional support, he's tried to force things through by executive fiat in a legally dubious manner, wildly abusing emergency powers and obscure provisions in old laws well beyond what they were intended to do...which is fine if you've got a really really friendly Supreme Court, but is otherwise an open invitation for the Supreme Court to call bullshit.

*How did it pass the filibuster? Thank the Congressional Review Act, a Gingrich-era law that allows the Senate to use a filibuster-proof "expedited consideration" process on bills overturning recent executive actions. Why haven't you heard of this before? Because the CRA process is fundamentally broken and useless - bills passed by it are basically guaranteed to be vetoed, so they're not even worthwhile as show votes because nobody pays any attention to them. If the Senate can't muster enough votes to break a filibuster, then it's not going to be able to override the veto.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah it's useful at this point to try to remember just how unlikely student debt relief seemed back when Biden announced this plan. He seemed 99% unlikely to even bother trying. I'm not surprised it ended up being a flimsy effort that was easily struck down.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Main Paineframe posted:

*How did it pass the filibuster? Thank the Congressional Review Act, a Gingrich-era law that allows the Senate to use a filibuster-proof "expedited consideration" process on bills overturning recent executive actions. Why haven't you heard of this before? Because the CRA process is fundamentally broken and useless - bills passed by it are basically guaranteed to be vetoed, so they're not even worthwhile as show votes because nobody pays any attention to them. If the Senate can't muster enough votes to break a filibuster, then it's not going to be able to override the veto.

The only exception is the first few months of a new president's term, if they're succeeding a president of the opposite party and have a friendly Congress, in which case it allows unwinding the outgoing president's rulemaking on a much faster schedule. Not the most useful thing on Earth, but it did get dug out and used a few times early in both the Trump and Biden administrations.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PostNouveau posted:

Joe Biden is the reason student loans can't be discharged in bankruptcy. It was foolish to think he was ever behind any kind of relief for debtors.

https://theintercept.com/2020/01/07/joe-biden-student-loans/
This whole thing that people do is kinda silly - and I don't mean here, but everywhere politics are discussed - where they decide that something a politician did (in this case, almost two decades ago) reveals some kind of ultimate truth about what they care about and where their priorities lie.

Especially when we consider that politicians are by their very nature craven and opportunistic and will do things that wildly conflict with past stated principles. This is, generally speaking, a bad thing, but it does mean that somebody's lovely opinions about something can improve. Joe Biden personally went from a segregation-curious Senator from a very white state former slave state in 1972 to a guy who built momentum to his primary victory largely by winning an overwhelmingly black electorate in South Carolina, was elected with 90% of the black vote, and who appointed the first black vice president and second black supreme court justice.

Much more recently than Joe Biden opposed discharging student loans in bankruptcy, he went two plus years without restarting payments, tried to forgive $20,000 in debt, and is today resolving to protect student loan borrowers from the consequences of the Supreme Court's decision. Maybe let's just sit back and see how he actually responds.

To be clear, I'm not arguing that Joe Biden really super cares about forgiving student loan debt, just that he has no opposition to it, and probably would enjoy the enthusiasm boost it would give him among some of the most pro-Democratic voters in the country.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 30, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

This tweet is giving me a bit of a headache, because if you read the linked article, or even just click through and look at the rest of the tweet thread, it doesn't support your claim at all!

With even the slightest bit of context, it's clear that Matt Yglesias is NOT saying "Biden purposely chose a bad way to unilaterally do loan forgiveness when he could have chosen a much better way to unilaterally do it" here.

Instead, he's saying "the executive unilaterally doing student loan forgiveness was bad". Matt opposed Biden's debt forgiveness plan, and has been writing against it for at least a year and a half. He thought that the president straight-up did not have the power to do this at all, and that it was a bad idea to pursue in the first place. He thought that loan forgiveness could only be done by Congress, but also that loan forgiveness was a terrible plan that would just screw up the economy without fixing the larger issues with higher education.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

This tweet is giving me a bit of a headache, because if you read the linked article, or even just click through and look at the rest of the tweet thread, it doesn't support your claim at all!

With even the slightest bit of context, it's clear that Matt Yglesias is NOT saying "Biden purposely chose a bad way to unilaterally do loan forgiveness when he could have chosen a much better way to unilaterally do it" here.

Instead, he's saying "the executive unilaterally doing student loan forgiveness was bad". Matt opposed Biden's debt forgiveness plan, and has been writing against it for at least a year and a half. He thought that the president straight-up did not have the power to do this at all, and that it was a bad idea to pursue in the first place. He thought that loan forgiveness could only be done by Congress, but also that loan forgiveness was a terrible plan that would just screw up the economy without fixing the larger issues with higher education.

I only linked because the follow-up tweet to the article is where he says his sources say the administration only did it this way so it would die in the courts. The article above that tweet being included is just how Twitter displays threaded tweets. No idea if the article addresses this at all, didn't read the article. He's a reporter tweeting about what his sources are telling him and that's noteworthy no matter what his article says.

I think Yglesias finds this thing his sources are saying to be just an interesting quirk not worth including in his article, because he doesn't support student debt forgiveness anyway. But this fact he's revealing is actually the crux of why the administration chose to go in this direction that was likely to fail.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 30, 2023

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

PostNouveau posted:

I'm sure they would have no problem going "The law that says very clearly the secretary of education has this power doesn't mean it because [insert bad rationale here]"

I'm saying the Biden administration never wanted this to happen because they ignored the obvious path to student debt relief and instead used a dubious one. And they did so, according to Yglesias' sources, BECAUSE it would be struck down.

This administration can't be trusted on this issue. The only path forward, as always, is mass labor action.

Help me out. Is your argument that, in your view, the Supreme Court would toss any legal justification for student loan forgiveness, but the fact that they tossed the one Biden put forward is evidence that he wanted them to toss it?

"It would be overturned regardless of the legal arguments used" doesn't square with "Biden used a specific legal argument in order to get it overturned by the SC"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

I only linked because the follow-up tweet to the article is where he says his sources say the administration only did it this way so it would die in the courts. The article above that tweet being included is just how Twitter displays threaded tweets. No idea if the article addresses this at all, didn't read the article. He's a reporter tweeting about what his sources are telling him and that's noteworthy no matter what his article says.

That's not quite what he's saying. He's saying that the executive doing it unilaterally was likely to be tossed by the courts, so administration officials that opposed it weren't inclined to push as hard against it because they figured it would die in the courts no matter what legal justification was used.

The very next tweet makes pretty clear that Matt thinks that the authority solely rests with Congress, and unilateral executive action was the thing that was likely to get tossed by courts.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1674797826457362435

Note also that the grad student's idea he's mocking and dismissing here isn't the HEROES Act justification the Biden admin went with, but rather than Higher Education Act justification you're pushing. His stance isn't that the Biden administration chose the wrong legal pathway, but rather that the Biden administration had no legal pathway at all.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

The supreme court is also continuing its string of rulings that say that being Christian is a license to discriminate.

The LA Times posted:

The Supreme Court ruled Friday that conservative Christians have a free-speech right to refuse to provide some business services for same-sex marriages, even in states like California where civil rights laws forbid discrimination based on sexual orientation.

The justices by a 6-3 vote sided with a graphic artist in Colorado who said she wants to expand her business to design custom websites that celebrate impending marriages, but not for same-sex couples. She cited her belief as a Christian that marriage is limited to a man and a woman.

“The 1st Amendment prohibits Colorado from forcing a website designer to create expressive designs speaking messages with which the designer disagrees,” Justice Neil M. Gorsuch wrote in the majority opinion.

In ruling for her in the case of 303 Creative vs. Elenis, the high court said the Constitution’s protection for free expression outweighs the state’s authority to require that businesses open to the public provide equal service to all.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Eletriarnation posted:

The neat thing about magic eye images is that the composites you see aren't actually there, it's your mind playing tricks on you. You're telling on yourself when you use that as your analogy for a conspiracy theory that you believe in.

"The boat is deliberately concealed and obfuscated through misdirection, but anybody can see it if they look past the bullshit."

"Aha, but I'm not literally looking at a boat right now. You must feel so owned."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Baronash posted:

Help me out. Is your argument that, in your view, the Supreme Court would toss any legal justification for student loan forgiveness, but the fact that they tossed the one Biden put forward is evidence that he wanted them to toss it?

"It would be overturned regardless of the legal arguments used" doesn't square with "Biden used a specific legal argument in order to get it overturned by the SC"

A reporter saying his sources in the administration are telling him the administration wanted this weak case tossed is the evidence that the administration wanted this weak case tossed.

Main Paineframe posted:

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1674797826457362435

Note also that the grad student's idea he's mocking and dismissing here isn't the HEROES Act justification the Biden admin went with, but rather than Higher Education Act justification you're pushing. His stance isn't that the Biden administration chose the wrong legal pathway, but rather that the Biden administration had no legal pathway at all.

These are entirely different legal authorities Yglesias would be conflating, which would be a dumb thing to do, but I'll grant it's possible you're right because Yglesias is a dumb motherfucker prone to not writing clearly.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm not understanding something. If Biden didn't want to give any kind of student loan relief or forgiveness, then why did he try to use the HEROES Act to provide ten to twenty thousand dollars in relief instead of doing nothing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

I'm not understanding something. If Biden didn't want to give any kind of student loan relief or forgiveness, then why did he try to use the HEROES Act to provide ten to twenty thousand dollars in relief instead of doing nothing?

So he could go "ah, those conservatives :argh: guess there is nothing we can do to help anyone" and also not have to give any relief.