Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
if we get rid of twitter embeds I'm going to have to read actual posts, ewwww

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

dont worry about it, mon

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
thank you elon musk for killing twitter embeds

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010
If embeds are broken everywhere I guess I can turn strict mode on for firefox again, so that's nice.

So, do you think this is one of those bad decisions that elon will flip flop on in a couple of days or one of the ones he's going to stubbornly stick to, where are you putting your money?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

will this really not work
https://twitter.com/jasondfw/status/1674819682728132608?s=61&t=0u0iPLgsrw9rb7UXErdBQA

jasondfw posted:

lol, I think I remember when he took over one of the first changes he took credit for was making tweets more visible when not logged in

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Text and videos are visible but if you have to click into it (long tweets, full images, hyperlinks within tweets) you'll be hit with a login page

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

bigstupidjellyfish posted:

If embeds are broken everywhere I guess I can turn strict mode on for firefox again, so that's nice.

So, do you think this is one of those bad decisions that elon will flip flop on in a couple of days or one of the ones he's going to stubbornly stick to, where are you putting your money?

third option: it's a decision made in a fit of babyman pique which, having been done, now can't be undone by the current skeleton crew, even as they poke fearfully at the load-bearing Windows Vista machines and Macbooks like they're volcano gods that demand appeasement

here's hoping

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

if this breaks your Twitter addiction, make sure to send a warm Thank You to Elon Musk.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

how am I supposed to keep track of professional sports without Twitter

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jon Irenicus posted:

I am using websites and forums

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Knight posted:

Text and videos are visible but if you have to click into it (long tweets, full images, hyperlinks within tweets) you'll be hit with a login page

Video thumbnails only. I clicked on a few this morning and they don't play, they just go to the login page lol

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Just append "nitter.net" instead of "twitter.com" and it should still work. They don't do embeds, but you can still look at stuff thru there. I've been reposting some stuff on other places and will use nitter.net just to preserve the aspect and so that anything new twitter doesn't bleed to it.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
if elon can go ahead and break embeds everywhere as well then he would do this country a greater service than anyone in history

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

euphronius posted:

I am using websites and forums

what like I did a decade ago? gently caress

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
lol ya sure i'll just type the url of my favorite sports website into the internet explorer search bar

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the milk machine posted:

if elon can go ahead and break embeds everywhere as well then he would do this country a greater service than anyone in history

say what you will about elon musk... but he is winning

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Probably depends on whether this actually gets a decent number to sign up, because if not goodbye ad impressions lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ELTON JOHN posted:

lol ya sure i'll just type the url of my favorite sports website into the internet explorer search bar

you can save it in your favorites tab (sometimes called bookmarks)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ozmunkeh posted:

Video thumbnails only. I clicked on a few this morning and they don't play, they just go to the login page lol

Hmm, I will try to test this if I find an embedded twitter video soon, but did you remember that if the embed is of a reply to a video so that first is shown the original video tweet and under it the response, then only videos in the reply tweet will play but to play the quoted video you will have to go on site? That's how it worked to me before.

e: okay, see I can watch this embedded video by just clicking on it:

UKJeff posted:

I saw an ad for a pair of reading glasses where they used them as a chisel to break bricks in half and it made me LOL pretty good

E: https://twitter.com/BerdaPerfect/status/1585894697368625152?lang=en

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Nenonen posted:

e: okay, see I can watch this embedded video by just clicking on it:

Can you watch past 18 seconds without it pausing indefinitely? Thank u Elon for not making me watch the rest of this awesome ad.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Broke: Musk with Paypal

Woke: Musk with Paywall

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

ELTON JOHN posted:

LinkRings will have to become a thing again if you want that.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 72 days!

Kunster posted:

LinkRings will have to become a thing again if you want that.

good, lets get started

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I used to that nearly 20 years ago, just have a bunch of small places I'd recommend, but amusingly I'd get the feedback that if people were looking at those, there wouldn't be much discussion about it.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Elon, thank you

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

He should 100 percent agree to the fight that was set up between him and Zuckerberg before he got his mom to tweet that he should chicken out.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
The only thing funnier that could have happened other than Musk letting the fight happen and losing would be them compromising with something nonviolent and cringe like playing Street Fighter 6 or trying to roast each other in a rap battle.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Nenonen posted:

Hmm, I will try to test this if I find an embedded twitter video soon, but did you remember that if the embed is of a reply to a video so that first is shown the original video tweet and under it the response, then only videos in the reply tweet will play but to play the quoted video you will have to go on site? That's how it worked to me before.

ok, yeah that seems to be happening. super hosed up website.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

ozmunkeh posted:

i thought they wanted more people to view their ads

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Advertisers love to pay for ads that are hidden behind login screens

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

wow elon finally banned us all for image leeching

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Yup!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Jon Irenicus posted:

pull up your bootstraps, and show up for tryouts.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

love ads

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1674545448441217027

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

shyduck posted:

love ads

wow what other ads do you get on twitter

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

ozmunkeh posted:

"Don't read the comments," they say.
"Login required," Twitter says.

Thank you Elon

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/Tonywootts/status/1674752770576924678?t=A6if5zzsu2alWOXnUxVUQQ&s=19

https://electrek.co/2023/06/30/tesla-gives-new-owners-uk-grabbing-stick-after-forcing-left-hand-drive/

Can't figure out RHD with steer by wire

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Kunster posted:

Nitter still works!

none of the instances I tried still work, incredible of twitter and reddit to go away at roughly the same time. what's the next chapter for the internet? will forums be cool again??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Youtube starting to crack down on ad blocking, twitter taking its already deflated ball and going home, things are going pretty great ^^^^^e. and reddit too

More blood

MORE BLOOD