Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The minimalism works because the films commit to it IMO, and they make accessories and outfits stand out more not having to compete with a gaudy background.
The costuming is also minimalist and frankly, often dull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Halloween Jack posted:

Insane take

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

I mean, the Fremen don't afford many options for interesting costumes. I think everyone agrees that stillsuits need to be about as utilitarian and drab as possible. Elsewhere, both Houses are colonizing forces ruling Arrakis by fiat, it makes sense that they'd be decked out in military dress. In virtually every other instance (the guild navigators, the BG), I think they struck a great balance. I suppose the Harkonnens could've had a more interesting look, but it's consistent with the rest of the film. As has been addressed in this thread and the other Dune thread, it's kind of bizarre that Dune movies are now all judged against a Jodorowsky movie that never happened, rather than referring back to the text itself.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Jewmanji posted:

I mean, the Fremen don't afford many options for interesting costumes. I think everyone agrees that stillsuits need to be about as utilitarian and drab as possible. Elsewhere, both Houses are colonizing forces ruling Arrakis by fiat, it makes sense that they'd be decked out in military dress. In virtually every other instance (the guild navigators, the BG), I think they struck a great balance. I suppose the Harkonnens could've had a more interesting look, but it's consistent with the rest of the film. As has been addressed in this thread and the other Dune thread, it's kind of bizarre that Dune movies are now all judged against a Jodorowsky movie that never happened, rather than referring back to the text itself.

You know what protects you from the sun real good?

Big hat.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Why not just release Dune in June.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah particularly looking at characters from the next movie like feyd. The dark sexy Paul character is instead just a standard bad guy who looks like a mini me version of the barons design.

It's an odd choice to go visually restrained with dune, dune has a lot of extravagant bullshit. The fremen are meant to be the practical exception to this decadent space empire. In the books I got the impression the sardaukar are scary to posh imperials but are soft fancy lads by arrakis standards.
That's kinda lost when multiple factions just wear austere black armour
It's clearly intentional but yeah I think its very visually boring

But then I'm not a DUNC fan in general, imo part 1 ditched too much important stuff that makes the story good (giving water to the dead, the locals resenting the fancy palm trees) and left the cliche stuff

Other people like it though so it's a taste thing

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Xiahou Dun posted:

You know what protects you from the sun real good?

Big hat.

Zeiram confirmed Fremen!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

don't sign you're posts

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Jewmanji posted:

I mean, the Fremen don't afford many options for interesting costumes.
Actually they do; Fremen often wear robes over their armor. Even some keffiyehs would make them visually distinct from the Harkonnen, who also wear greeblized black superhero suits.

That's exactly the problem with both the Lynch film and this one: everyone is wearing a black/grey form-fitting bodysuit. They could at least have made the Atreides, Sardaukar, Harkonnen, and Fremen costumes more visually distinct. Could they not have, just as an example, made the Atreides armour army-green and put a little red hawk crest on it? If someone wants to explain to me what's so beautiful about the drab matte grey body armour, I'm all ears.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The Atreides are water planet people and should have blue Master Chief suits with cute lil duckies all over them.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Communist Thoughts posted:

It's an odd choice to go visually restrained with dune, dune has a lot of extravagant bullshit.

This really isn't true. I think it's a collective delusion. It's just not really evidence by the text.

Anyway, is there a way to buy an electronic copy of this article? I can't seem to figure out how:

https://benjamins.com/catalog/lal.37.06chr

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Jewmanji posted:

This really isn't true. I think it's a collective delusion. It's just not really evidence by the text.

a) film is a visual medium and vibrant clothes look cool b) it's valid to expect the space feudal lords to dress ostentatiously based on genre conventions c) herbert himself changed his mind on the utilitarian aesthetic in the later books

I honestly really like the visual design of everything in dunc, but I also understand why people would want or expect something else

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Jewmanji posted:

Anyway, is there a way to buy an electronic copy of this article? I can't seem to figure out how:

Copy paste the doi link into sci hub and see if there’s an archived version there.

You could also try emailing the author at the email listed. If the author is an academic they usually are very happy to provide a pdf of their work.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Halloween Jack posted:

Actually they do; Fremen often wear robes over their armor. Even some keffiyehs would make them visually distinct from the Harkonnen, who also wear greeblized black superhero suits.

That's exactly the problem with both the Lynch film and this one: everyone is wearing a black/grey form-fitting bodysuit. They could at least have made the Atreides, Sardaukar, Harkonnen, and Fremen costumes more visually distinct. Could they not have, just as an example, made the Atreides armour army-green and put a little red hawk crest on it? If someone wants to explain to me what's so beautiful about the drab matte grey body armour, I'm all ears.

I read somewhere that the Atreides uniforms and armor were meant to evoke modern US military aesthetics to reinforce the "unjust invasion/botched occupation" vibes but don't know if that's been confirmed anywhere.

Dune 2 looks good as hell though, going to have to make an effort to see that one in IMAX if I can.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Mat Cauthon posted:

I read somewhere that the Atreides uniforms and armor were meant to evoke modern US military aesthetics
They don't.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

me giving that take the side eye

Bugblatter posted:

The weird hammerhead dudes with duel katanas in the background of Feyd's gladiator fight are pretty wild looking.

real bad vibes from them. i assume they're there to keep the slaves from running away. maybe those are the "harpies" that are listed on IMDB.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Jewmanji posted:

I UNDERSTAND ALL OF THIS.

I haven't even read the books. Whenever I hear CHRISTOPHER WALKEN and GOLDEN LION THRONE PADISHAH EMPEROR OF THE KNOWN UNIVERSE I see makeup, I see headdresses, I see EXTREMELY long robes. And a crazy emperor who says poo poo like "I had to put googly eyes on my plants because plants don't have eyes so its hard to me trust them" and introducing the court band: foo FIGHTERS.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

kalel posted:

a) film is a visual medium and vibrant clothes look cool b) it's valid to expect the space feudal lords to dress ostentatiously based on genre conventions c) herbert himself changed his mind on the utilitarian aesthetic in the later books

I honestly really like the visual design of everything in dunc, but I also understand why people would want or expect something else

Yeah, fair on all points, I'm just saying that some people point to DUNC's visual austerity as being specifically contradicted by the text and I don't think there's much behind that argument. That said, I'm a Star Wars prequel freak so I'm very sympathetic to people who love cool costume designs.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Copy paste the doi link into sci hub and see if there’s an archived version there.

You could also try emailing the author at the email listed. If the author is an academic they usually are very happy to provide a pdf of their work.

Thank you!

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Jewmanji posted:

Yeah, fair on all points, I'm just saying that some people point to DUNC's visual austerity as being specifically contradicted by the text and I don't think there's much behind that argument. That said, I'm a Star Wars prequel freak so I'm very sympathetic to people who love cool costume designs.

Thank you!

If you do get a copy of Dr. Ryding's paper, I'd love to take a look at it, too. She's a Professor Emerita with a long and impressive tenure.

https://gufaculty360.georgetown.edu/s/contact/00336000014RgNqAAK/karin-ryding

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

it is kind of too bad that the Harkonnens and Atreides aren't colour coded like the Westwood games. A lot easier to tell who your enemies are when they wear red or blue (or purple in the case of the Sardukar)

though iirc the Atreides hawk is red in the text

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

No reason fashions can't just have changed as the books went along. Live with the increasingly paranoid Corrinos as rulers and tastemakers, spending the last several centuries emphasizing over and over an aesthetic of militaristic minimalism. Then, in a cultural preview of the Golden Path, fashions explode outward in a wide variety of ostentation as a new dynasty assumes power and spreads not just terrible death but also people and ideas across the empire. Even as Muad'dib secures his rule, there's now a lot more cultural cross-contamination.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Aces High posted:

it is kind of too bad that the Harkonnens and Atreides aren't colour coded like the Westwood games. A lot easier to tell who your enemies are when they wear red or blue (or purple in the case of the Sardukar)

though iirc the Atreides hawk is red in the text
Yeah, Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty made Atreides blue instead of red, presumably because of classic Usanian jingoism.

They also introduced Ordos for reasons that still utterly escape me beyond the fact that they're mentioned in the Dune Encyclopedia.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 30, 2023

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Film is a visual medium and Villeneuve’s austere visuals are cool as gently caress. Was Dune Part 1 not widely regarded as a gorgeous film?

While I think Herbert’s more elaborate visual descriptions in the later books were influenced by Jodorowsky’s ideas, in the story I thought it was more indicative of how much the universe had changed over time than a retcon.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

uber_stoat posted:

me giving that take the side eye

real bad vibes from them. i assume they're there to keep the slaves from running away. maybe those are the "harpies" that are listed on IMDB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYMq27uygsY&t=77s

I think it's pretty...

Pretty dangly...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

disposablewords posted:

No reason fashions can't just have changed as the books went along. Live with the increasingly paranoid Corrinos as rulers and tastemakers, spending the last several centuries emphasizing over and over an aesthetic of militaristic minimalism. Then, in a cultural preview of the Golden Path, fashions explode outward in a wide variety of ostentation as a new dynasty assumes power and spreads not just terrible death but also people and ideas across the empire. Even as Muad'dib secures his rule, there's now a lot more cultural cross-contamination.

Yeah this is well put. The emperor basically dresses like Vladimir zelensky but they haven't had an actual war for a thousand years, it's posey af

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Grendels Dad posted:

May I point you to the opening of Man of Steel with its resplendent big hats and Oops, All Genitals architecture:

Man now I really want Zach Snyder’s Dune. Maybe even more than Jodorowsky.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I mean it's pretty obvious that snyder would play the whole white saviour thing completely uncritically straight

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

kalel posted:

I mean it's pretty obvious that snyder would play the whole white saviour thing completely uncritically straight

lol

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
is there anything zachary snyder is capable of understanding?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is everyone in dunc universe “regular” humans or do they have enhanced genetics? Like why are the sardokar and fremen known for being powerful fighters? Are they just trained better/have better gear?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
it's an environmental determinist thing

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
While there’s some eugenics coming on (the Bene Gesserit manipulating bloodlines) a lot of it is more just “realizing human potential.” Developing new ways of fighting, speaking in a way that compels people to obey, etc.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

They live in a Hard World that makes them Hard Men (and women, but mostly it cares about men) who can do all the Hard Work.

There's an underlying thing also with stuff like the Bene Gesserit and Mentats that human potential could reach ridiculous extremes with the right conditioning and training. It's just that BG and Mentat training are very intensive to produce each one while the conditions of Salusa Secundus and Arrakis act as absurdly harsh training regimes of their own that force humans to unlock some sort of "ultimate survivor-soldier" potential en masse, or die.

It's strongly implied by the timeline (I don't think it's stated outright) that stuff like BGs and Mentats were conditioned and created by the loss of advanced computing after the Butlerian Jihad, needing something to replace some of the capabilities the machines previously allowed.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's lasguns versus shields, but yeah.

I recognize it would have taken additional exposition to cover lasgun-shield interactions, but I was bummed that they completely deleted that from this take. The Harkkonen gunship is trying to las Duncan in a shielded thopter for a good ten seconds. Seems like a bad idea in the heart of Arakeen.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's also possible, nay, probable, that the Harkonnen soldiers were really fuckin dumb

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
The thopter's shield is disabled by a missile hit shortly after takeoff.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

TerminalSaint posted:

The thopter's shield is disabled by a missile hit shortly after takeoff.

how could they know

like I guess it could be a thing where the hark intentionally disables the shield with a conventional weapon to finish him with the lasgun after, but the way the scene is shot makes it seem like two different ships do the missiling/lasering. idk

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is everyone in dunc universe “regular” humans or do they have enhanced genetics? Like why are the sardokar and fremen known for being powerful fighters? Are they just trained better/have better gear?

Sardaukar and fremen both live on inhospitable death worlds and live in extremely violent cultures that supposedly weed out anyone too weak to become an ultimate killing machine, the fremen of course live on dune and it’s revealed later that the Sardaukar homeworld, salusa secundus, was the imperial prison world where the condemned of several centuries were marooned and left to fend for themselves on planet Space Australia. Most people are genetically baseline humans, besides the limited eugenics that the bene gesserit do, and the mentats are the results of lifelong training and conditioning. the hidden guild navigators are hideously mutated by extreme spice exposure, and actual for-real genetic engineering shows up in the second book, Dune Messiah, with the bene tleilaxu, a cult of freaky body modifiers who mutate people into monstrosities and create custom-grown creatures for the great houses entertainment.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don’t think you have to spoil that last part but idk. The movie already showed us that spider person thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

kalel posted:

how could they know

like I guess it could be a thing where the hark intentionally disables the shield with a conventional weapon to finish him with the lasgun after, but the way the scene is shot makes it seem like two different ships do the missiling/lasering. idk

While watching the movie I figured there was a [technobabble] way different ships would know like they get confirmation that the missile hit or whatever and it's just a given that that missile hitting that ship kills its shields or whatever. We assume a lot of them are after Gurney personally because it's a movie and he's a main-ish character so it didn't stand out to me as weird because of that.