Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"We believe in the following the intentions of the founders. Did you ever consider that when the country was founded it was basically legal to kill your wife, because she was your property? Checkmate, libs. :smug:"

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

suffering whiplash
I just never take my neck brace off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

suffering whiplash from the 'why aren't democrats using all levers available to do things?' posts not like last week and the 'actually, using a lever that wasn't guaranteed to work in the long term is evidence it was sabotage the whole time' posts now

They should use every lever available to them, and there are even more avenues they could be pursuing than just the HEA. The Department of Education also has wide latitude in setting Income-Driven Repayment plans, for example. There are a lot more mechanisms they could try that they won't try.

Getting turned back by the court just eats into the court's legitimacy. An administration that cared about building a movement could use spurious rulings that materially hurt a lot of people as fodder for fueling mass action. It wouldn't matter if you drew an immediate injunction for going down one path or another, those are just more evidence of the court's lawlessness.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

suffering whiplash from the 'why aren't democrats using all levers available to do things?' posts not like last week and the 'actually, using a lever that wasn't guaranteed to work in the long term is evidence it was sabotage the whole time' posts now

I don't really buy the intentional sabotage argument but this isn't the contradiction you think it is; the latter is an answer to the former.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I cannot think of a better real life event to interrupt the overnight argument over conspiratorial views on the left.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

PostNouveau posted:

It says it helped proponents win the battle. It's the only thing he notes about his sources say about the battle in the administration. We can keep junking up the thread, but it's not my fault you don't like what his sources are saying about the administration's decision-making.
What his source says is a pretty bog standard process story. The only issue I have is with your continued use of this one tweet to draw absolutely unsubstantiated conclusions.

PostNouveau posted:

I'm only talking about Matt's lawyer friends in relation to what Matt thinks. I don't really care what they think, only that he accepts their opinions.
Except you clearly do, because you stated the bolded bit as fact just upthread:

PostNouveau posted:

Biden cut a deal during the debt ceiling talks to end the repayment pause in October. Unclear if that's set legislatively or if he's just going to honor the agreement to keep his word to the GOP.

Also, he has the power to wipe out whatever student debt he wants to. He used a dumb legislative tactic built around a covid emergency law instead of using the law that says "the president can do whatever he wants with student debt." He did this because they knew it wouldn't survive a court challenge.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

PostNouveau posted:

They should use every lever available to them, and there are even more avenues they could be pursuing than just the HEA. The Department of Education also has wide latitude in setting Income-Driven Repayment plans, for example. There are a lot more mechanisms they could try that they won't try.

This is where I'm more hopeful, because it is certainly possible that they can look into other methods of forgiveness and have indicated their intent to do so. Whether or not it materializes and is unassailable is another and I'm pretty cynical about that part.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

PostNouveau posted:

I'd actually guess Biden was the undecided one swayed by the fact that the court would strike it down. It's ultimately his call after all, so it's hard to see how undecided people below him matter all that much.

Stop making things up that you want to believe. Biden had already stated in the past multiple times that he doesn't think he has the authority to forgive student loans through executive order (i.e. won't stand up in court):

quote:

Biden’s direct response — and rejection of a Democratic proposal in Congress to cancel up to $50,000 in student loan debt for borrowers — is not a surprise. For months, Biden has been consistent in his position that he wants Congress to cancel student loans immediately. Biden believes that Congress, not the president through executive action, is the correct branch of government that controls federal spending, which includes any plans for student loan cancellation.

“I don’t think I have the authority to make that happen,” Biden said.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PostNouveau posted:

The administration is working on new and more generous repayment plans and is likely to do so with even more gusto now that this decision has been handed down.

Fortune posted:

Student debt forgiveness is dead, but Biden’s most transformative loan policy is still in play: ‘Paying off college debt is going to be substantially easier’

That policy is the new income-driven repayment (IDR) plan proposed by the U.S. Department of Education. Though not finalized yet, the plan would lower payments for many borrowers and allow them to reach forgiveness faster. Unlike the forgiveness plan, this is not a one-time effort; it’s a new repayment plan that borrowers can enroll in going forward.

“It won’t result in immediate forgiveness, but it could result in less money out of pocket for a lot of borrowers,” says Betsy Mayotte, president of The Institute of Student Loan Advisors.

An income-driven repayment plan bases a borrower’s monthly student loan bill on their annual income and family size, and the amount is recalculated each year to take into account any changes. Remaining debt is forgiven after 20 to 25 years. These types of repayment plans have become much more popular in recent years as the cost of college has ballooned and more people have attended, with around 8 million borrowers currently enrolled.

The new IDR plan proposed by the Biden administration would decrease the percentage of discretionary income borrowers would need to repay, and cut the repayment period for some borrowers. It is not in effect yet but could be in the coming months.

The Congressional Budget Office estimates the new plan will cost about $250 billion over the next 10 years. Conservatives, buoyed by the Supreme Court’s decision on the forgiveness program, have indicated that they may challenge the IDR program next, given its cost.

“If loans are not forgiven through loan forgiveness, they could potentially be forgiven through IDR,” says Michael Brickman, adjunct fellow at the conservative American Enterprise Institute. “The actual cost of that program will increase substantially if the loans are not forgiven.”

https://fortune.com/2023/06/30/student-loan-forgiveness-dead-bidens-income-driven-repayment-plan-ongoing/ (paywalled but 12 ft ladder works)
No offense but you should really be more careful making strong assertions about subjects if you're not aware of major developments like this. All it took to find this was a google news search for "income based student loan repayment".

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 30, 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Baronash posted:

What his source says is a pretty bog standard process story. The only issue I have is with your continued use of this one tweet to draw absolutely unsubstantiated conclusions.

Except you clearly do, because you stated the bolded bit as fact just upthread:

I've already responded to this, you're just trashing up the thread to be obstinate at this point. That tweet supports my statement right before it "He did this because they knew it wouldn't survive a court challenge." You're just bolding a random statement elsewhere in the post. I'll try to be more free with the paragraph breaks next time, OK?

Professor Beetus posted:

This is where I'm more hopeful, because it is certainly possible that they can look into other methods of forgiveness and have indicated their intent to do so. Whether or not it materializes and is unassailable is another and I'm pretty cynical about that part.

I don't think they have an interest in the mass politics part of the equation. I'd feel better about their motives if they started pursuing every angle. But I think they'd probably give up as soon as the injunctions hit.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mellow Seas posted:

The administration is working on new and more generous repayment plans and is likely to do so with even more gusto now that this decision has been handed down.

No offense but you should really be more careful making strong assertions about subjects if you're not aware of major developments like this. All it took to find this was googling "income based student loan repayment".

We'll see what they come up with. I have seen them talk about this, but I want a plan in my hand before I give them any credit.

Also, it's not going to be zero. If they think they have the authority to reduce repayment times and rates, then they could make repayment rates 0.01% of discretionary income and the repayment period one month.

Also you can get around paywalls pretty easy with archive.ph:

https://archive.ph/F0KSu

I've never used 12-foot ladder, but archive.ph is a breeze.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 30, 2023

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

the radioactive roads are just an insane idea. I'm sure they could be made relatively safely in the short term, but in the long term they're probably guaranteed to have some lovely interaction or effect.

Not really, no. At least not when compared to the fly ash they already use.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

suffering whiplash from the 'why aren't democrats using all levers available to do things?' posts like last week and the 'actually, using a lever that wasn't guaranteed to work in the long term is evidence it was sabotage the whole time' posts now

the radioactive roads are just an insane idea. I'm sure they could be made relatively safely in the short term, but in the long term they're probably guaranteed to have some lovely interaction or effect.

The lever they pulled was attached to a Fisher-Price toy that expressly does nothing except make a delightful clicking sound, and this was known well ahead of time.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

PostNouveau posted:

I've already responded to this, you're just trashing up the thread to be obstinate at this point. That tweet supports my statement right before it "He did this because they knew it wouldn't survive a court challenge." You're just bolding a random statement elsewhere in the post. I'll try to be more free with the paragraph breaks next time, OK?

I don't think they have an interest in the mass politics part of the equation. I'd feel better about their motives if they started pursuing every angle. But I think they'd probably give up as soon as the injunctions hit.

I think one of the advantages to not throwing everything at the wall at once is that you can actually get concrete opposition pinned down, and attack in ways that get around those objections, and see if the court or legislators are willing to contradict themselves in the process. Again, cynical enough to think it likely won't work, because the court has repeatedly shown the ability to twist itself into rhetorical pretzels to do this (Scalia all time MVP at this).

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Professor Beetus posted:

I think one of the advantages to not throwing everything at the wall at once is that you can actually get concrete opposition pinned down, and attack in ways that get around those objections, and see if the court or legislators are willing to contradict themselves in the process. Again, cynical enough to think it likely won't work, because the court has repeatedly shown the ability to twist itself into rhetorical pretzels to do this (Scalia all time MVP at this).

It's just very slow to not throw everything at the wall, though. If they try the HEA route, Trump could be president again and drop the case before it actually gets to the high court.

I don't think anyone who will put up objections will have any problem pivoting to something contradictory. I don't think you really gain much by pinning down the opposition. Voters won't care for sure.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Adenoid Dan posted:

Not really, no. At least not when compared to the fly ash they already use.

My "This is fundamentally NOOKS! panic" meter went up a lot when I learned the primary radiation being discussed was radon from uranium/thorium decay, outdoors, on a highway, but the reading on my "DeSantis corruption bullshit" meter"means I really won't object to strict scrutiny of it either.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I'm never opposed to strict scrutiny of things like this, of course. I just wish the people writing about these things would talk to both engineers who can talk about what is common practice, and environmental/medical scientists who can quantify the risk.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

PostNouveau posted:

I've already responded to this, you're just trashing up the thread to be obstinate at this point. That tweet supports my statement right before it "He did this because they knew it wouldn't survive a court challenge."

It absolutely does not. All that tweet supports is "some administration officials thought forgiveness would fail." Everything else you've posted is just vibes, made clear by posts like this:

PostNouveau posted:

I'd actually guess Biden was the undecided one swayed by the fact that the court would strike it down. It's ultimately his call after all, so it's hard to see how undecided people below him matter all that much.
Where you're just inventing positions and ascribing malice in support of the conclusion you want.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Getting turned back by the court just eats into the court's legitimacy. An administration that cared about building a movement could use spurious rulings that materially hurt a lot of people as fodder for fueling mass action. It wouldn't matter if you drew an immediate injunction for going down one path or another, those are just more evidence of the court's lawlessness.

If the best example of Supreme Court "lawlessness" we can find is a ruling saying that major changes should be passed into law by our duly elected legislature instead of being loopholed into existence by an executive branch desperately looking for wards to circumvent Congress, then that's probably an utterly hopeless avenue for "fueling mass action".

Though student loan forgiveness is also unlikely to be a particularly good issue for driving mass action in the first place, because while a majority of Americans support making college more affordable in general, loan forgiveness in particular fares much worse in polls. Only 47% of Americans support limited loan forgiveness, and the support drops further as the limits loosen, down to just 29% supporting total loan forgiveness with zero means-testing.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

I think the court will try to discover other reasons you can't forgive student debt when the GOP almost certainly loses congress next year.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

I don't know why they even bother anymore. Roberts actually thinks they have any legitimacy left to salvage?

Sure he does, as do most Democrats including pretty much all elected Democrats. Otherwise they'd pack the Court and be done with it. "Faith in SCOTUS" is probably going up these days as fascists turn away from hating the "activist" court that granted gay marriage and upheld the ACA and embrace a white nationalist / theocratic one that will give them substantive wins for at least another decade.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 30, 2023

selec
Sep 6, 2003

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Sure he does, as do most Democrats including pretty much all elected Democrats. Otherwise they'd pack the Court and be done with it. "Faith in SCOTUS" is probably going up these days as fascists turn away from hating the "activist" court that granted gay marriage and upheld the ACA and embrace a white nationalist / theocratic one that will give them substantive wins for at least another decade.

It’s the opposite, approval of the court is at the lowest it has been since 2000.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/4732/supreme-court.aspx

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
By "these days" I mean in the last year or so. The last data point from your link is almost a year old and shows no real change since 2021 prior to that.

Let's not pretend it's currently plummeting based on that data. I'm willing to bet it's levelled off at worst. Fascists love nothing more than to throw their hypocrisy in liberals' faces and dare them to do something about it.

E: I may be totally wrong, just hazarding a guess based on my seething hatred of most Americans.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 30, 2023

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I can't speak for the Democratic voters in your heart, but as of last fall the ones that answered polls were overwhelmingly for court packing, enough to make it a majority of the general population.

https://news.yahoo.com/poll-slim-majority-of-americans-support-expanding-supreme-court-as-confidence-wanes-194217399.html

As for elected Democrats, Biden's still against it, and I don't believe the theory that he's playing 11th dimensional chess with this court issue any more than the other one, but even back to the 2020 primary I think him and Bernie were the only major candidates against it. Others were in favor, and court packing legislation was literally introduced last month. It's not going to happen with a Republican house even if they broke out the mind control rays on Manchin and Sinema, so at best it's a "would he veto it in 2023?" question.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
he's going to try debt forgiveness again under the higher education act (remains to be seen if that also gets the same "major questions doctrine major questions doctrine major questions doctrine 6-3 get owned" today's attempt did) and also 12 months without threat of default or hurt credit if you miss a payment

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I'm too smoothbrained rn could someone explain what loan forgiveness involving the higher education act entails? I've been saving up money to just jam into my loans when forbearance ends but would this plan B make it so that I should just keep my money?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I'm too smoothbrained rn could someone explain what loan forgiveness involving the higher education act entails? I've been saving up money to just jam into my loans when forbearance ends but would this plan B make it so that I should just keep my money?

It's the same as the first loan forgiveness attempt, except that it'll take much longer because it's a more involved process with more hoops to jump through. It'll probably take months to even get to the point where conservatives can file lawsuits against it, which will almost certainly go right back up to the Supreme Court.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I for one am shocked that the unelected law priests have dropped a bunch of horrible decisions on the Friday before a holiday weekend.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
This response from Biden at least pays lip service to an attempt to continue pushing forward with debt relief, and came out pretty quickly after the decision.

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1674873607682441218?t=n_IiFya5-4Qmp4dL9nuN2g&s=19

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1674873609288916992?t=egr6hjIoceQLRB_B5SYKMg&s=19

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
Man I just don't understand why more and more people are cutting off contact with their conservative relatives, I just can't fathom it. Must be the wokeness, or the video games, or the woke video games.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Holy lol

“Chief Justice Roberts declared that the administration’s logic — that the secretary of education’s power to “waive or modify” loan terms allowed for debt cancellation — was a vast overreach. “In the same sense that the French Revolution ‘modified’ the status of the French nobility,” he wrote, quoting a previous court decision.”

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I stand corrected on the % of Democrats who support court packing. But maybe I can be forgiven because very few if any notable dem politicians have talked about it in the wake of this avalanche of dogshit, openly partisan, precedent-ignoring decisions that has been going on for almost 2 years.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Holy lol

“Chief Justice Roberts declared that the administration’s logic — that the secretary of education’s power to “waive or modify” loan terms allowed for debt cancellation — was a vast overreach. “In the same sense that the French Revolution ‘modified’ the status of the French nobility,” he wrote, quoting a previous court decision.”

Well at least the French Revolution is on his mind; he should be thinking about it a lot more and also whether he would be considered nobility or not.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Professor Beetus posted:

Well at least the French Revolution is on his mind; he should be thinking about it a lot more and also whether he would be considered nobility or not.

That an an elected body stripped the nobility of titles not an executive. He’s looking to rather specific libertarian thought rooted in French monarchism for this poo poo, it’s a real goddamn.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bar Ran Dun posted:

That an an elected body stripped the nobility of titles not an executive. He’s looking to rather specific libertarian thought rooted in French monarchism for this poo poo, it’s a real goddamn.

Yeah, and it's especially hilarious given who inspired the French to overthrow its monarchy.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I know this is outside of the scope of this thread but does anyone have a good (sane) explainer on CA AB 957?

/Derail

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

cr0y posted:

I know this is outside of the scope of this thread but does anyone have a good (sane) explainer on CA AB 957?

/Derail

Per the legislative analysis, which the leg's website helpfully prevents direct linking to:

quote:

This bill:
1) Clarifies that the court’s obligation to consider a child’s health, safety and welfare, as part of the determination of the best interest of the child for purposes of custody or visitation, includes the consideration of whether a parent affirms the child’s gender identity.

Basically says that if the parent of a trans child refuses to affirm their gender identity, it weighs against them with respect to custody. It should sail through.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

James Garfield posted:

Do you think that it would have had a positive effect on average people's lives if House Democrats in February 2021 had spent more time making a youtube video of Republicans voting against a resolution to expel Marjorie Taylor Greene while the West Wing theme crescendos and less time passing ARP?

Politics is about doing things that are possible.

speaking of MT Greene

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/mtg-debuts-new-podcast-cover-art-featuring-her-holding-a-gun-in-front-of-the-capitol-building/

A member of congress is using a graphic of themselves armed in front of the US Capitol Building. Totally normal thing in a healthy society for sure. She'll go on Hannity this week to tell us all about it, probably. I wouldn't mind if a little more hay were made about this.

Gumball Gumption posted:

What is this? This is weird. It's posts on somethingawful.com please develop some perspective because people slagging the Dems on a dead comedy website isn't killing the party. Not supporting local parties? That sure is.

As a Floridian I can tell you with complete certainty the Democratic party in this state is DOA and totally ineffectual. I've tried to volunteer for them, attended their local meetings and offered my skills in marketing, graphic design and writing but all they seem to want from me is money and maybe making phone calls. The party is a bad joke, especially at my particular "local level".

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

A member of congress is using a graphic of themselves armed in front of the US Capitol Building. Totally normal thing in a healthy society for sure. She'll go on Hannity this week to tell us all about it, probably. I wouldn't mind if a little more hay were made about this.

Honestly nothing new for her really, there was that image ad of her posing with an assault rifle with menacing portraits of The Squad behind her, advertising herself as "The Squad's Worst Nightmare". She's going to end up either getting someone (or more people) killed, or she's going to kill someone herself at this rate.

BiggerBoat posted:

As a Floridian I can tell you with complete certainty the Democratic party in this state is DOA and totally ineffectual. I've tried to volunteer for them, attended their local meetings and offered my skills in marketing, graphic design and writing but all they seem to want from me is money and maybe making phone calls. The party is a bad joke, especially at my particular "local level".

Sounds like something that could easily be taken over by enterprising socialists/progressives then, tbh.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Gumball Gumption posted:

With the way rulings have been going I doubt it. They conservatives on the court seem happy to chip away but shy away from really throwing open the gates with any of their rulings. The EPA changes are probably the most radical and nonsensical ruling so far and I think "not enough people will care or understand this" have them cover to feel safe doing it that these cases wouldn't. They want to rock the boat but really really don't want to have you see them do it.
This aged like milk. Lmao.

Hopefully it will take a while for the ruling to reach the Supreme Court, and hopefully in that time given progressives will find their testicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Biden is dealing with a radical court and instead of reacting radically like, removing loan balances/cancelling them outright and then have the scotus themselves reinstate loans, they did some decorum solution that didn't go anywhere and screwed over millions.
it's incredible.