Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

HootTheOwl posted:

antinquity

It's some sort of link to the past?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I, for one, am shocked that the game by Japanese game developers has elements that resemble Japanese culture & history

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Spanish Manlove posted:

what's this from?

It's the Japanese Imperial Regalia--a sword, a mirror and a magatama/jewel. Supposedly handed down from the literal gods who literally founded the Japanese imperial line, but always kept from public view. If I had to make a comparison, it'd be like the British crown jewels, or the various saints' relics the Catholic church has.

The magatama/tear-shaped jewel is fairly prominent in Japanese history and mythology, which makes it weirder that it's not even called a magatama in the Japanese version of ToTK!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Even if you don't recognize it you've seen them somewhere in Japanese or Japanese-inspired games. They were the basis for Okami's weapons for example.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Now do a Google search for Jomon pottery while listening to dissonant piano music

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I, for one, am shocked that the game by Japanese game developers has elements that resemble Japanese culture & history

The fun thing is how at the start of the series they lifted a bunch of stuff from Journey to the West (it's why Ganon is a pig, for example). Special mention for Link to the Past where the entire backstory about Agahnim taking over after stopping a drought is taken from a chapter of the book.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

mycelia posted:

It's the Japanese Imperial Regalia--a sword, a mirror and a magatama/jewel. Supposedly handed down from the literal gods who literally founded the Japanese imperial line, but always kept from public view. If I had to make a comparison, it'd be like the British crown jewels, or the various saints' relics the Catholic church has.

The magatama/tear-shaped jewel is fairly prominent in Japanese history and mythology, which makes it weirder that it's not even called a magatama in the Japanese version of ToTK!

That jewel is like the hit 90s anime Blue Seed, hell yeah.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I didn't realize the Emperor of Japan was descended from cat goat men

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Tbh this is less weird than a lot of real world creation myths

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Finally remembered to kill a molduga, it was, uh....anticlimactic. It spawned when I was up on a tall enough cliff that I could lure it over with a junk item, jump off and get a bunch of slo-mo shots in, and climb back up without hitting the ground. I figured they'd at least restrict it to more open area where you have to use the small pillar ruins to stay off the sand.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Apparently Sidon’s water bubble is strong enough to keep you from taking any damage when it breaches under you

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The water buff seems pretty OP the more I play with it. I just wish it was less of a pain in the rear end to activate. Somehow I can activate the god drat wind gust every 5 seconds whether I want it or not. But Sidon is never anywhere to be found during a fight.

Really I wish the gust only worked if you have the glider out. On the ground it’s anywhere from annoying to actively harmful.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Such is the burden of the true nobility

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Finally remembered to kill a molduga, it was, uh....anticlimactic. It spawned when I was up on a tall enough cliff that I could lure it over with a junk item, jump off and get a bunch of slo-mo shots in, and climb back up without hitting the ground. I figured they'd at least restrict it to more open area where you have to use the small pillar ruins to stay off the sand.

i just stood in place as it swam circles around me and i shot it with a bow over and over :effort:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Docjowles posted:

The water buff seems pretty OP the more I play with it. I just wish it was less of a pain in the rear end to activate. Somehow I can activate the god drat wind gust every 5 seconds whether I want it or not. But Sidon is never anywhere to be found during a fight.

Really I wish the gust only worked if you have the glider out. On the ground it’s anywhere from annoying to actively harmful.

Do you like the wet buff it gives you for Zora weapons, or the mitigation of a single hit? If it's the former you can upgrade the froggy armor really easily, it has really weirdly good armor rating and secretly boosts the length of time you stay wet from 45 to 180 seconds. Also easy climbing in the wet but when I finally got mine upgraded the game mysteriously decided to stop making everywhere always rainy all the time :thunk:

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I didn’t realize until last night that constructed items only last so long- I made my hover bike and was exploring the underground for a few hours, recharging my batteries now and then and landing near light roots to activate them and hopping back on when I completed that. Suddenly my hover bike blinked and disappeared and I landed in a giant skeleton and was attacked by gloom horriblins and gloom hands :v:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh, the hover bikes disintegrate? I knew the bigger flying platforms did that, but I thought it was the larger wings and metal grates that did it and the fans were exempt.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh, the hover bikes disintegrate? I knew the bigger flying platforms did that, but I thought it was the larger wings and metal grates that did it and the fans were exempt.

It takes like an hour, but they do.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Specifically it was the fans that disintegrated whenever I spent more than an hour flying around

I’d be left falling to my death holding a steering stick like Wile E Coyote

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Steve Yun posted:

Specifically it was the fans that disintegrated whenever I spent more than an hour flying around

I’d be left falling to my death holding a steering stick like Wile E Coyote

If you can actually hang on, the steering stick negates fall damage.

If you have any tilt or rotation when it separates it’ll probably flip around and buck you off anyway, so good luck.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I’m curious how the marbled boulder does on the home-made scale because that thing one hit kills silver boss bokoblins it gets dropped on

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
WTF

https://twitter.com/satougashi020/status/1674751411853336578?s=46&t=Kzmv5HsyFqNWsBcA-dIRLA

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Steve Yun posted:

I’m curious how the marbled boulder does on the home-made scale because that thing one hit kills silver boss bokoblins it gets dropped on

Must be made of fentanyl.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Looks like they did the first part of the fuse entanglement glitch. Pretty wild that it lets it just get through the doorway like that.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I am continuing my slow, leisurely rescue of hurtle. Finished 3/4 regional phenomena last night.

Definitely enjoyed the actual Fire Temple more than the Sky or Water versions. The lead up to sky and water was better but I liked the minecart stuff. I do wish there was a little more combat stuff involved in these but whatever.

The boss was way too easy, at least the Sky temple monster had the insane spectacle and kickass dive bombing. The idea of shooting yunobo up the rafters was cool but outside of the quarter heart damage you take from getting tossed off the boss, I didn’t get damaged a single time. Hoping the gerudo temples boss is a bit more challenging.

Finally started getting silver baddies to show up on the way up death mountain. I am probably “over leveled” for the regional phenomena quests at this point as a result but they’re still fun.

Definitely starting to hit a little bit of a wall as far as exploration goes, I think I’m gonna have to start tapping out on some of the stable quests and similar stuff soon. On the bright side, I think the vehicle building stuff is starting to be a little more fun now that I have sufficient battery to actually power stuff for a little while, and access to basically all the parts I need.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Is there some secret to destroying armor?
Normally I just use a bomb arrow but on lynels that still takes forever.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

HootTheOwl posted:

Have an arrow fused to a portable pot, allegedly. (I have never tried this)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It doesn't outright destroy armor, but it does a weirdly high amount of damage to the armor. Some of the other zonai devices also do that

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I am continuing my slow, leisurely rescue of hurtle. Finished 3/4 regional phenomena last night.

Definitely enjoyed the actual Fire Temple more than the Sky or Water versions. The lead up to sky and water was better but I liked the minecart stuff. I do wish there was a little more combat stuff involved in these but whatever.

The boss was way too easy, at least the Sky temple monster had the insane spectacle and kickass dive bombing. The idea of shooting yunobo up the rafters was cool but outside of the quarter heart damage you take from getting tossed off the boss, I didn’t get damaged a single time. Hoping the gerudo temples boss is a bit more challenging.

Finally started getting silver baddies to show up on the way up death mountain. I am probably “over leveled” for the regional phenomena quests at this point as a result but they’re still fun.

Definitely starting to hit a little bit of a wall as far as exploration goes, I think I’m gonna have to start tapping out on some of the stable quests and similar stuff soon. On the bright side, I think the vehicle building stuff is starting to be a little more fun now that I have sufficient battery to actually power stuff for a little while, and access to basically all the parts I need.

The nice thing about how the leveling works is that I don’t think you can really over level and screw yourself. I guess if you’ve completely ignored shrines in favor of story progression and have like 6 hearts it would be a little rough. Yeah you start encountering silver mobs but you also start finding higher quality weapons and mobs drop better items to fuse onto them. So as long as you aren’t stubbornly using 4 damage bokoblin horns on a 4 damage club combat should mostly feel fine. If you keep progressing one of the main quests you will also get a very nice weapon

Make sure you’re upgrading your armor. Getting the Hylian set to 3 stars is trivial and 4 stars isn’t that bad compared to some sets. It will tamp down incoming damage A LOT

Finally don’t be stingy with consumables. Make a lot of +3 banana dishes and it’ll be noticeable. Food ingredients are very easy to come by, no reason to hoard.

Basically yeah combat gets harder but your tool kit to handle it grows too, you just have to make a point of using it

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

HootTheOwl posted:

Use the same thing you use to break rocks

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

HootTheOwl posted:

Use a hammer-type weapon. Moblin horns should work iirc.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Runcible Cat posted:

Must be made of fentanyl.

that's why there aren't any royal guards anywhere.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Macaluso posted:

It doesn't outright destroy armor, but it does a weirdly high amount of damage to the armor. Some of the other zonai devices also do that

I’ve had pot arrows destroy bokoblin armor in one shot, take a couple more for lynels.

Not sure if it was due to my bow…

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

sonatinas posted:

I’ve had pot arrows destroy bokoblin armor in one shot, take a couple more for lynels.

Not sure if it was due to my bow…

Ah I was specifically picturing Lynels when I posted that to be fair :v:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

it seems weird that all these bokoblins and lynels are getting their poo poo broken by a weird little dude with a bow and some cooking utensils. should've invested in pot armor

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
I have now killed every Molduga, every Gleeok, and every Hynox. The Taluses will also soon learn to fear me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

I have now killed every Molduga, every Gleeok, and every Hynox. The Taluses will also soon learn to fear me...

Are you getting anything for doing this? Not being snarky genuinely curious since the game keeps track.