Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Has Arrow started region locking their UHDs yet? I really want that Blood and Black Lace UHD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

zer0spunk posted:

TIL there's 4 psychos

3 of em are good, too. which is also shocking.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Basebf555 posted:

Has Arrow started region locking their UHDs yet? I really want that Blood and Black Lace UHD.

People under the stairs being region locked on uhd recently, told me to wait for confirmation just in case. Outlier for sure but I rarely preorder

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

TIL there's 4 psychos

And that's just in this one thread!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

zer0spunk posted:

People under the stairs being region locked on uhd recently, told me to wait for confirmation just in case. Outlier for sure but I rarely preorder

Yea, I figure it's a general policy thing within each company though so I'm wondering if Arrow has started region locking yet.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/criterion/status/1674798731408076818?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The Criterion sale on B&N is live. And as much as I'd love to spend $300 on discs I'm going to fight to keep myself around $100 after next Friday's paycheck.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm thinking I might just get the infernal affairs set and call it. Never saw the movies but always heard good things. They do have an arrow sale listed on their site but the link doesn't go anywhere so maybe it's not up yet?

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

I stared at the Agnès Varda box set in my cart long enough for it to go out of stock. I think I'm finally gonna pull the trigger if it comes back during the sale. Did end up grabbing Rififi, Le Cercle Rouge, Harakiri, and Children of Paradise.

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm thinking I might just get the infernal affairs set and call it. Never saw the movies but always heard good things. They do have an arrow sale listed on their site but the link doesn't go anywhere so maybe it's not up yet?

I watched the first Infernal Affairs, and it's very good, but the plot is (big surprise) very very close to The Departed. Haven't seen the other two.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Yeah the first Infernal Affairs is very good but it’s almost identical to the Departed, which I think is the stronger movie overall. The second IA is a completely pointless prequel that doesn’t add to the first but is still too tied to it to work entirely on its own. I haven’t seen the third but it actually does sound like a quite fitting albeit incredibly depressing follow up to the first.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Severin's shipping costs are brutal.

13 dollar shipping for The Last Horror Film.

Every time Severin does a sale I think "gee do I really want to spend $45 on The Blood on Satan's Claw?"

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Almost Blue posted:

Every time Severin does a sale I think "gee do I really want to spend $45 on The Blood on Satan's Claw?"

I did and it was worth it, and I REALLY want the Danza Macabra set that was released not long ago but I’ve just bought too much poo poo recently, sitting this year out. I did just realize that the only copy of THE LAST HORROR FILM I have is on VHS though, but it’s not my absolute favourite. I was significantly hornier to get my hands on Black Candles, a movie that I still don’t think gets enough love.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

PinkoBastard posted:

I did and it was worth it, and I REALLY want the Danza Macabra set that was released not long ago but I’ve just bought too much poo poo recently, sitting this year out. I did just realize that the only copy of THE LAST HORROR FILM I have is on VHS though, but it’s not my absolute favourite. I was significantly hornier to get my hands on Black Candles, a movie that I still don’t think gets enough love.

It's a good set, you'd dig it

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Severin has some real bangers, like Out of the Blue, Siege and Day of the Beast, but by and large their selection tends to run a little too dark and sleazy for my tastes.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Infernal Affairs, the first one stands on its own well, one of the best movies ever. Classic HK. The Departed is not even close to as good, it especially missed the entire point of the story and had a farce of an ending. Plus the iconic style and performances from Leung and Lau in their prime, Anthony Wong etc, too good. I recommend that to anyone.

That said, I wish Criterion sold just the first one separately, kind of like with Godzilla '54 etc.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 30, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Severin has some real bangers, like Out of the Blue, Siege and Day of the Beast, but by and large their selection tends to run a little too dark and sleazy for my tastes.

Severin definitely dives deeper into the sleaze bin of horror/international flicks.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

agh i think barnes and noble removed the paypal option for payment. i had money in there to use :cry:

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

dorium posted:

agh i think barnes and noble removed the paypal option for payment. i had money in there to use :cry:

Negative, I just used it this morning. In the US at least.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

SeductiveReasoning posted:

Negative, I just used it this morning. In the US at least.

yeah the button for alternative payments doesnt click for me anymore. its just a JPEG.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I used PayPal on my lunch break, I had to click it and it changed to a PayPal Checkout option.

It was pretty funny earlier; I think they blocked my IP for opening too many tabs. I was looking through the collection just to add them to my cart and pare it down once I knew how much any I was interested in cost and they started throwing server errors at me until I turned on my VPN.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

yeah I was definitely opening a bunch of tabs at once probably just an error over my own excitement, but it gave me a moment to take a beat and pare down my order anyways to a modest 4 titles (at least until a non-rent paycheck and the VS pre-order is later today too).

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Reminder that The Last Horror Film will be a one and done for this sale. If you don’t buy it this weekend, you better hope you get lucky on eBay.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

ive never seen it before, but I am intrigued. It looks kinda cool, but $50+ cool?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

If you hate it, you can probably resell it for $150, so you can’t lose either way.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

The "extremely unofficial slipcase" on that release has the title Maniac II. Was it ever actually marketed under that title?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

This Is the Zodiac posted:

The "extremely unofficial slipcase" on that release has the title Maniac II. Was it ever actually marketed under that title?

In Germany https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Maniac-II-Love-To-Kill-Blu-ray/338679/

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

dorium posted:

ive never seen it before, but I am intrigued. It looks kinda cool, but $50+ cool?

It's on Tubi in decent quality if you wanna see if you'll like it

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/bradfhenderson/status/1674957197585838080?s=46&t=wbUf_u7uOvtvxKOmB6dAHQ

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

like i get it, the industry kinda sucks in many ways, but also, chill out bud...directors are so insecure, christ

this being for terrorvision probably means low budget horror too..maybe consider a new audience as a benefit before you go full dbag :negative:

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 1, 2023

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
lol that reads like some lovely dating app meltdown

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Origami Dali posted:

lol that reads like some lovely dating app meltdown

I'M A NICE GUY U BITCH

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, the upscaling they did on the UHD of Avatar is... something. The live action stuff is essentially Avatar: The Water Colour Painting.

More here: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=18258&d2=18257&s1=211127&s2=211099&i=1&l=0&a=0

And here: https://www.hdnumerique.com/dossiers/1145-test-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-avatar.html

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

zer0spunk posted:

like i get it, the industry kinda sucks in many ways, but also, chill out bud...directors are so insecure, christ

this being for terrorvision probably means low budget horror too..maybe consider a new audience as a benefit before you go full dbag :negative:

This was over Terrorvision? I'd have bought that, I love that movie. That's a shame :(

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Charles Ford posted:

This was over Terrorvision? I'd have bought that, I love that movie. That's a shame :(

Terrorvision is the label the tweet guy runs. Dunno what movie it is.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Charles Ford posted:

the label

https://www.terror-vision.com/about-us

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
Ahh, that makes more sense and also is less disappointing.

Still, not great that directors are so weirdly thirsty about attention being given to their movies.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Origami Dali posted:

Dunno what movie it is.
It's top shelf entertainment is what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5vqoziQZRA

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

caligulamprey posted:

It's top shelf entertainment is what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5vqoziQZRA

yeah, that movie owns.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

I'm venturing a guess that this was The Manson Family by Jim Van Beber.

Anyways for Severin Out of the Blue is phenomenal, so are the 3 Álex de la Iglesia films.

Also got the new 4Ks, Bad Biology might not be Hennenlotter's best, but the man's commentaries are always phenomenal (and made The Ghastly Ones actually worth watching).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Think I'm gonna grab Infernal Affairs, Stalker, Thelma & Louise 4K, After Hours, Seven Samurai, and Throne of Blood. I've never seen Lady Snowblood - guessing that's probably worth grabbing the duology?