Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Der Kyhe posted:

OK so now you have seen it, and I can say out loud that the difference between the director's cut and normal version is that in the normal cut its just implied that federation has top-level people involved with the conspiracy. In the director's cut we have a Colonel West, the Starfleet marine who runs the security services and is seen talking to the federation president about doing a prison raid to Rura Penthe to free Kirk and Spock (or fumble it and get both killed, since they didn't get death penalty they were expecting). We also see that the sniper in the convention is the same colonel West, disguised as Klingon just to be sure. So its explicitly said that the conspiracy ran to the very top of the Federation.

Also, Cattrall's character was originally supposed to be Saavik, Spock's wive from the earlier movies, so that the betrayal would be more powerful. But then after events, and because the original actor Kirstie Alley wasn't available and showrunners didn't want Robin Curtiss, a new "top of her class officer graduate" Valeris was made.
That's a lot of details omitted. The result is a smaller story really, too bad. Yeah Paramount + only had general release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I just want a version of Star Trek 5 where the Excelsior is allowed to save the day at the end

Edit: not 5. 6.
Don’t get old, boys and girls

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 29, 2023

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

STV is a series of really good character moments strung together really poorly. I’ve always thought STV could have been an all time classic TOS episode but stretched to movie length it really suffers.

Which makes it better than every movie after 6 except for maybe Beyond

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

SNW 2x03: A bold if perhaps misguided attempt to resolve the Eugenics Wars timeline disparity in-universe. Kirk and La’an were fun together, glad they enjoyed a glizzy and did a kissy.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

pyrotek posted:

Nah, Beyond is garbage too.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Der Kyhe posted:

OK so now you have seen it, and I can say out loud that the difference between the director's cut and normal version is that in the normal cut its just implied that federation has top-level people involved with the conspiracy. In the director's cut we have a Colonel West, the Starfleet marine who runs the security services and is seen talking to the federation president about doing a prison raid to Rura Penthe to free Kirk and Spock (or fumble it and get both killed, since they didn't get death penalty they were expecting). We also see that the sniper in the convention is the same colonel West, disguised as Klingon just to be sure. So its explicitly said that the conspiracy ran to the very top of the Federation.

Also, Cattrall's character was originally supposed to be Saavik, Spock's wive from the earlier movies, so that the betrayal would be more powerful. But then after events, and because the original actor Kirstie Alley wasn't available and showrunners didn't want Robin Curtiss, a new "top of her class officer graduate" Valeris was made.

It was explicit that high ups in Starfleet were involved in the original cut of the movie; Valeris named Admiral Cartwright as one of the conspirators.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

pyrotek posted:

first contact was fine

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Aaaahahahaha I'm loving dying at Kirk from the Dumbass Universe acting like a big ol' himbo and drivin' cars real fast vroom vroom

SNW rules!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Omfg they're in a timeline where people still use loving Duck Duck Go

Truly dystopic

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

mycomancy posted:

Aaaahahahaha I'm loving dying at Kirk from the Dumbass Universe acting like a big ol' himbo and drivin' cars real fast vroom vroom

SNW rules!

Cackled at I can also make plo-meek soup in the toilet! :haw:

e: holy loving poo poo that ending though

:negative:

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 30, 2023

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

ST VII Generations- not great , not bad. I’d seen it

Starting ST VIII- if I remember right it’s the first warp on Earth and they play Magic carpet ride which always bugged me cause they loop one section of the song for effect.

Forgot SNW is tonight

E- ST VIII more fun than VII. Not a fan of the borg queen as an arch enemy. Overall a fun movie.

I definitely never saw Nemesis and have seen a lot of hate for it here. Gonna try. One more then she’s up.

Big Ass On Fire fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 30, 2023

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

sweet geek swag posted:

It was explicit that high ups in Starfleet were involved in the original cut of the movie;

The corrupt Starfleet admirals are editing the films now? My god.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Ngl, now that I'm close to the end I really liked Tom Paris in Voyager, it's prob just the charisma of the actor but he's a comfy character to see interact on screen

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

SNW 0203 made me feel feelings, even if the car chase went on too long.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

First of May posted:

SNW 0203 made me feel feelings, even if the car chase went on too long.

My feelings are that I love Himbo Kirk! "I'm special! :D"

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

lol @ star flight

Prodigy is good poo poo

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Lmao I love SNW, truly the heir to the throne of 90s Trek.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Goons confirmed on both LDS and SNW's production teams now. Prodigy would have been the triple crown, but, well :rip:

Incremus
Aug 7, 2003

Oh no, I'm so sorry, it's the Moops.

mycomancy posted:

My feelings are that I love Himbo Kirk! "I'm special! :D"

His confidently incorrect New York City! line gave me a good solid chuckle. Last season I thought he was miscast, but he grew on me a lot this episode.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Would anyone like to point out the reference/Easter egg im missing here?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Endless Trash posted:

What does the goatsee?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

dr_rat posted:

What does the goatsee?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Incremus posted:

His confidently incorrect New York City! line gave me a good solid chuckle. Last season I thought he was miscast, but he grew on me a lot this episode.

This episode really puts the end of last year into perspective a lot more w/r/t the choices they made with Kirk. It's clear Paul Wesley basically nailed the character right from the moment he was cast, but we didn't get to see that because he was playing a version of Kirk that there was something off with thanks to the circumstances of the story, and he leaned into that deviation as an actor. This Kirk is more like normal Kirk, with, again, some differences because timeline fuckery, but he's still basically 80-90% Jim Kirk.

I hope this show doesn't get axed by Paramount or dies with Paramount when they go under next year because I think Paul Wesley has the chops to maybe even lead a full on TOS spin off as Kirk after this episode.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Endless Trash posted:

Dr. Keeler I presume.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

STAR TREK: What does the goat see?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

i dunno, this episode was a bit too would you save baby hitler in order to prevent the events of red alert for my tastes

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

STAR TREK: What does the goat see?

STAR TREK: Not that Kirk

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So is SNW shaping up to be ok? I didn't really like the first ep of S2 at all. Felt like a load of stuff from Discovery (i assume? everyone is suddenly a veteran of the "klingon wars"?? and pumping up with super soldier serum??) and had like feel of random poo poo just happening for no reason.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'm not vibing with it the way I did with S1, but it's also not giving me reasons to hate it. It feels like a lower budget show now? Can't put my finger on it.

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

Lacermonia posted:

lol you ARE A FOOL!!!!

Enterprise hosed up the timeline like no other which is why everything is more advanced in DISCO and SNW

hahahahah I called it you fools

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

appropriatemetaphor posted:

So is SNW shaping up to be ok? I didn't really like the first ep of S2 at all. Felt like a load of stuff from Discovery (i assume? everyone is suddenly a veteran of the "klingon wars"?? and pumping up with super soldier serum??) and had like feel of random poo poo just happening for no reason.

I like S2E2 a lot better than E1. Same thing happened for me in SNW S1.

E2 has a dumb premise, but it executes that premise very well. So...strong TOS energy.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

SNW is cheesy as hell this season and it makes me happy

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Lacermonia posted:

hahahahah I called it you fools

Wait did they canonise that

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Yeah they seem to be content to rehash trektropes in rapid succession but for everything they get wrong they get something else very right

They did their homework with the writing at least I'll give them that

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

pyrotek posted:

First contact is fine, Insurrection is also OK but it was a shoestring-budget and basically a ST:TNG two-parter sold as an movie.

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019

Der Kyhe posted:

Having Spock's Vulcan protege in 6 be a new character instead of his Vulcan protege from 2 through 4 was such a missed opportunity in long-form storytelling payoffs. Along with having the disgraced hotshot pilot in Voyager be a new character instead of the disgraced hotshot pilot from TNG's The First Duty, despite being played by the same actor.

Star Trek 6, I like quite a bit, though my eyes kind of glaze over during the Rura Penthe segments. And while I wouldn't have minded some more layers to the conspiracy, having the sniper be a guy in Klingon blackface was dumb and I'm glad it was cut.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I liked this week's episode of SNW

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I like S2E2 a lot better than E1. Same thing happened for me in SNW S1.

E2 has a dumb premise, but it executes that premise very well. So...strong TOS energy.

Yeah ep2 was way better. captain patel or whatever is a low key hottie too.

What's with SNW and making shitter 1st episodes? Gimme that boring courtroom drama with most of the main cast just literally watching the episode on their own tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yeah ep2 was way better. captain patel or whatever is a low key hottie too.

That's Wynonna Earp