Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014

bobtheconqueror posted:

I'd also look at your gear, as you can use that to improve your odds at checks. Also drugs, if that's something you're into.

That's also something I've struggled with, like when you need to get the weird church lady's thing out of the bookstore basement, she gives you that super-crowbar to pry it open with, but even when equipping it, I don't get a prompt or anything to pry open the door I think the only items I've been able to equip successfully are booze, cigarettes, flashlights, and the plastic bag. all in a day's work, I guess.

Your other points were helpful though, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The map can be pretty unhelpful TBH, white checks sometimes end up becoming unreachable due to other conversations or game events but they still show up in the list.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

MortLansky posted:

And what's the rule with investing/divesting from various thoughts? I used a level point to forget Guillaume le Million in favor of Magnesium Based Lifeform because the stat boost looked marginally better, but it seems easy to get caught in a useless sisyphean cycle of embodying/forgetting thoughts when I should be leveling up skill attributes (I also have no idea what to do here).

You already filled up your entire thought tree? That's pretty impressive, at least. But generally you want to avoid forgetting thoughts, yeah, it's more forgetting a thought you've realized you REALLY don't want (like the one that automatically makes you fail checks) rather than getting ones you do, with the ability to replace it being a nice consolation prize.

As far as equipping items, having it in your hand or wearing it when you try to do the check will give you positive bonuses - you can see the breakdown of which bonuses (and penalties) are coming from where if you mouseover the check. Drugs can be used at any time when held with their icons in the bottom corner, if I remember correctly, even mid-conversation if you need an immediate boost. Only a couple items (flashlight and bag, I think?) will actually impact what you can interact with out in the world - although items that boost your perception or visual calculus or whatever can still give you options you wouldn't have had otherwise, they are tied to the skill being boosted and not the item itself.

Note that any non-equipment based bonus to a white check will unlock the check again. That means leveling up a relevant skill, finding out a new piece of relevant information, exploring other dialogue options that give you a bonus, etc. and so on. If you're having trouble with skill checks, you can always hold on to your levelups and when you fail an important white check you can just boost it and immediately try again.

If you've run out of things to do, you can always read a book or play a board game to pass the time, as well.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 30, 2023

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Party Boat posted:

Kim's ending comments are really easy to provoke. I smoked a cig like... twice to bump my intellect up for checks and he noted my "incessant smoking". I smoked less than your one a day, Lieutenant!

Yes, but, "This is the one."

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Sardonik posted:

My favorite playthrough has to be WoolieVersus'. You can tell they have a tremendous appreciation for the game's themes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tLp8KJWpuQ
Pat was pretty good too if for nothing but him getting super pissed off when he got the World's Most Laughable Centrist achievement.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Fabricated posted:

Pat was pretty good too if for nothing but him getting super pissed off when he got the World's Most Laughable Centrist achievement.

:pathetic:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Watching Woolie recoil from the avatar of his own centrism while still completely failing to recognize his own nature was amusing.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

No idea who that is but a guy called Woolie getting made fun of for being a non-committal centrist is pretty on the nose

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

theCalamity posted:

What about longest?

https://youtu.be/zIL_-nfjmoU

This nice lady finished her 15th session and finally got to the end of the first day. She paused a lot to think about her choices or talk about the music or the writing or politics. It’s good but she plays very slowly

Started watching this because I do enjoy a good slowplay but drat you're not kidding. Nearly three hours from starting the stream to leaving the hotel room is... impressive.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

MortLansky posted:

I feel like a total moron because I'm on day 3 or 4 and I feel like I just get stuck on seemingly dead end white checks that don't go in my favor or help me solve anything. For example I still haven't cut down the dead body because it makes me puke.

Also when I do level up, it feels like a fool's errand to figure out what to throw attribute points into. Toiling over a couple different options, I'll often go with the one that specifically DOESN'T help me on the next few chance rolls that come up. I don't usually play games in this genre, but it feels glaringly loving obvious how much I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

Like I circle back to various people that seem to be stonewalling me, withholding information that would help finish an objective, and there's no new dialog options, even on highlighted "white checks" that I should be able to try again. It doesn't help that the map is so vague I can barely discern where those checks even are. Is it just a matter of leveling up certain traits by distracting myself with fairly innocuous bullshit until I feel bold enough to take another shot at >50% (and more than likely STILL fail)?

And what's the rule with investing/divesting from various thoughts? I used a level point to forget Guillaume le Million in favor of Magnesium Based Lifeform because the stat boost looked marginally better, but it seems easy to get caught in a useless sisyphean cycle of embodying/forgetting thoughts when I should be leveling up skill attributes (I also have no idea what to do here).

Forgetting thoughts is mostly for when you made a mistake (or for something like Measurehead's thought), or if your cabinet is full and the new one seems really interesting otherwise it's kind of a waste of skill points.

Note : To unlock a white check you either need to raise the stat, with a level (drugs don't count, but can raise the levelling cap) or by getting a modifier from other tasks. And some late game thoughts unlock some white checks but... that's very edge case.

So, I will make the bold move of saying : It is OK to savescum if it makes the game more fun for you. If you are short on points, and want to see what is on the other side of a white check, then make a save, invest the point, try the roll and if it fails reload.

Reading your various clothings stat mods and such also helps, the raincoat from Frittte for instance is +1 endurance which can help with the stink. I assume you have got your poo poo together for that bonus.

tl;dr DE can cope with you treating it like a game. Savescum, juggle clothes, hack extra points into your save, whatever.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

drat, I didn't think it was possible to fill up the thought catalogue. I only ever did the like two thoughts the game seemed to require of me. They cost skill points so they didn't seem worth it, better to use the skill points to get rerolls on white checks

(I should note, I thought the clock mattered and I really was racing against time to stop a civil war from breaking out, so clearing checks as fast as possible seemed like the priority)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

drat, I didn't think it was possible to fill up the thought catalogue. I only ever did the like two thoughts the game seemed to require of me. They cost skill points so they didn't seem worth it, better to use the skill points to get rerolls on white checks

(I should note, I thought the clock mattered and I really was racing against time to stop a civil war from breaking out, so clearing checks as fast as possible seemed like the priority)

Man you really hosed yourself over

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I was reacting to what the game was telling me!

This is like my only criticism of DE

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It also very explicitly tells you to have weird thoughts and go down rabbit holes, why do you think they gave you so many spaces in the thought cabinet? You're expected to use them lol

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

it's just roleplaying a 'no thoughts, head empty' run

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

No Dignity posted:

It also very explicitly tells you to have weird thoughts and go down rabbit holes, why do you think they gave you so many spaces in the thought cabinet? You're expected to use them lol

I figured that was for skilled players lol

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

dervival posted:

it's just roleplaying a 'no thoughts, head empty' run

Bimbo copotype just dropped

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Killingyouguy! posted:

I figured that was for skilled players lol

ok but whats the skill in disco elysium, reading?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

armpit_enjoyer posted:

ok but whats the skill in disco elysium, reading?

Ironically, being able to tell what features are for skilled players and what aren't.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Idk man I've never played a crpg before!! I'm a dumbass who likes Mario

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I filled up every available space with a thought and still wanted more thoughts so I used a few skill points to replace existing thoughts. just can’t stop thinking all these thoughts

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

MortLansky posted:

I feel like a total moron because I'm on day 3 or 4 and I feel like I just get stuck on seemingly dead end white checks that don't go in my favor or help me solve anything. For example I still haven't cut down the dead body because it makes me puke.

Also when I do level up, it feels like a fool's errand to figure out what to throw attribute points into. Toiling over a couple different options, I'll often go with the one that specifically DOESN'T help me on the next few chance rolls that come up. I don't usually play games in this genre, but it feels glaringly loving obvious how much I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

Like I circle back to various people that seem to be stonewalling me, withholding information that would help finish an objective, and there's no new dialog options, even on highlighted "white checks" that I should be able to try again. It doesn't help that the map is so vague I can barely discern where those checks even are. Is it just a matter of leveling up certain traits by distracting myself with fairly innocuous bullshit until I feel bold enough to take another shot at >50% (and more than likely STILL fail)?

I'm not dork enough to know if it's possible to get stalled out to the point you can't progress, but generally speaking, if you want to move things along the best strategy is going berserk. Even failed rolls often produce results, and if you just keep smashing your drunken idiot character into walls something's gonna get through. Snag and swap clothing and drugs as much as possible to give you an edge on the rolls themselves, but you only get one shot per new skill point, so you might as well swing the bat.

In terms of cutting down the corpse, there's actually a thought--even referenced in the thread title--called "Volumetric poo poo Compressor", which almost guarantees you'll get it down. Keep puking until the magic happens. To the best of my knowledge, there are a few alternatives with Kim/asking people to cut it down for you. You can beat the game without checking the body at all, so it's not off the table to just let the fucker dangle.

In the absolute worst-case scenario, just smash your computer into pieces, skip the game entirely, and go Build Communism in the real world instead. It's an equally valid way of getting the Disco Elysium experience.

tldr: harry is a disastrous garbage man who full-tilt fucks up everything, and if you play accordingly the dam will eventually break

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Imagine missing out on The Litany of Contact Mike

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

sebzilla posted:

Started watching this because I do enjoy a good slowplay but drat you're not kidding. Nearly three hours from starting the stream to leaving the hotel room is... impressive.

Well, in her defence, she did get a bug that made the door not highlight.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Might not be a bug? That starting perception might actually be low enough for the door not to light up

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

dervival posted:

Might not be a bug? That starting perception might actually be low enough for the door not to light up

Doesn't that only happen with 0 or less Perception? I don't think there's any way to get that low just from the the hotel room.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Samovar posted:

Well, in her defence, she did get a bug that made the door not highlight.

Possibly, but like I said, she was on her 15th session when she finally finished the first day (actually, the 16th session is when she actually goes to sleep). Each stream is about 3 hours long. So it took her about 48 hours to get to the end of the first day.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I just threw on the Jim Carrey Lemony Snicket movie and goddamn does this setting feel like Martinaise.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Started a fresh game thanks to the recent uptick in thread activity (thank you) and I am loving the purples' use of the passive voice. Reminds me of that wonderful "my stuff vs your poo poo" bit by Carlin.

"Wipe that smirk off their face" vs "The tape upstairs is destroyed" :allears:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

theCalamity posted:

Possibly, but like I said, she was on her 15th session when she finally finished the first day (actually, the 16th session is when she actually goes to sleep). Each stream is about 3 hours long. So it took her about 48 hours to get to the end of the first day.

Fair enough. No arguments there.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

theCalamity posted:

I tried to give those videos a try, but they are just so, so maddeningly infuriating in how much pointless, anodyne blabbering there is.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Oh poo poo that was a close one :ohdear:

Never seen this interaction before, bathtub on day one. Poor guy. This case would not ever have been solved if he'd had That Dream on day one.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
My interpretation always was that after arriving on the scene, Harry quickly figured out that the hanged man wasn't lynched but killed in some other way and thus the dock workers are innocent and are covering for someone, that the hanged man was a merc and that the rest of his squad is still hanging around and that nothing he can do will prevent them from causing bloodbath once their tiny remains of self-control run out and that the only person around with enough power and authority to do something about it actively wants the bloodbath to happen. And after discovering all that, Harry just went "this whole thing is hosed beyond belief and there is nothing I can do, so just screw everything" and decided to go on bender of epic proportion that directly led to the start of the game.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh definitely, Inland Empire is the one that gives you the "communism killed me, but love did me in" lines, and it turns out there's nothing actually magical about the stuff Inland Empire says (unlike Shivers or Esprit de Corps); it's just giving you a rather more floral interpretation of events. Harry absolutely solved the case pre-bender and it inspired him to spiral.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Oh definitely, Inland Empire is the one that gives you the "communism killed me, but love did me in" lines, and it turns out there's nothing actually magical about the stuff Inland Empire says (unlike Shivers or Esprit de Corps); it's just giving you a rather more floral interpretation of events. Harry absolutely solved the case pre-bender and it inspired him to spiral.

How the gently caress would pre-bender Harry have figured out who the killer was? Even aside from that, Harry didn't even talk to the Hardies, Ruby, Evrart, or Joyce, and apparently didn't talk about the case to Klaasje, either. And the body was still in the tree, preventing closer examination.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Harry is just that good when he's not actively melting down.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
He's a very good cop when he needs to be.

okay that may be a bit of an exaggeration; I'm not sure how he'd suss out the Deserter in particular, but even while the corpse is danglin you can suggest that this guy died with a smile on his face and had the hanging staged afterwards, and Kim will agree that it seems possible. "Communism" I suppose could more mundanely be referring to Claire, whose culpability is extremely obvious, even if he had no direct role in this murder. I just kind of imagine that when Party Eyes Harry engages his Visual Calculus, he can derive an entire Columbo Cold Open just by looking at the rooftop window.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Harry is a Magpie is a pretty popular theory - and is probably the basis for at least Shivers (Espirt and Inland can be handwaved/excused more easily) - like the video linked a few pages back that ties the stuff from the book back in, shows that the talk from Shivers foreshadows Revachol's destruction, sure makes it feel like Harry maybe knows the future is very bleak, and the foundation of apocalypse cop and his self-destructive behavior. Going off of all of that, his ability to gain information from the future may be part of the fuel for why he's a good cop or how he solved the case so quickly. Like, he clearly has good detective skills on top of that, but I'd like to think the two things could be linked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Well, I restarted my first play through from scratch and did quite a bit more than I remembered doing on day 1 the last time.

Is there any reason to continue keeping the corpse around in the freezer once you’ve both found the bullet in his head and steal his boots, or am I in the clear to have him shipped out?