Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They do mention that they expect roughly 6,000 deaths when all is said and done from exposure and finding bodies in the rubble. But, other than that, they don't really play up the dirty bomb part.

Fury was right in the middle of it and isn't violently expelling his liquefied internal organs, so I think we can safely assume those were regular bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Bloody Pom posted:

Fury was right in the middle of it and isn't violently expelling his liquefied internal organs, so I think we can safely assume those were regular bombs.

Secret Skrull :tinfoil:

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

JazzFlight posted:

I just remembered another thing that annoyed me about this episode:
Isn't it a bit dated to do a torture scene where it shows it works? Like, it didn't make the viewer think at all or have a message.
It was just "oh, she cut off a finger and injected him with pain juice and he told the exact truth, not lies" and then "look how evil the villain is, he executes his ally for squealing after conveniently getting confirmation within like 2 minutes driving down the street."

Marvel is usually smarter than this and it wouldn't have been hard to write a workaround. She injects him with something and says "Now we're best friends" and he agrees. For even more creepiness he then copies her and you have Olivia Colman asking questions of herself only one of her is missing a finger and is chained up.

Showing torture working is inaccurate and feeds the revenge fantasy of every cop out who thinks he can bully the truth out of someone.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Looking up the writers on Secret Invasion they're all basically budget options. Bryan Tucker is the most consistent voice credited by the WGA and his biggest credits are poo poo like Chapelle's Show, MadTV, and that show with Colin Quinn from 20 years ago.

Lmao wtf Marvel how tf can you seem so lavishly expensive and so cheap at the same time?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

You can tell this is a well written show because in the first episode the characters tell us about the Secret Invasion from the title instead of showing us any of it, they simply say "a Secret Invasion is happening!" and it doesn't waste my valuable time as a viewer by showing me things happening.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

smoobles posted:

You can tell this is a well written show because in the first episode the characters tell us about the Secret Invasion from the title instead of showing us any of it, they simply say "a Secret Invasion is happening!" and it doesn't waste my valuable time as a viewer by showing me things happening.

I enjoyed Talos' speech to the group of Skrulls explaining their own backstory to them, just so they were all on the same page.

People just speaking exposition at one another drives me batty. I'm watching Night Agent with my parents and wanted to hang myself.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I do think it is kind of bullshit that they are going to create Super Skrulls without the Fantastic Four being involved…unless…

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

We all know they won't

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Why didn't they air those first 10 minutes in front of the first episode? It would have made the premiere flow better I think. Also, Skruller Carlson and the Skrulluminati.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure this show is fine, and that it probably could have/should have been a movie. When it's all out it will be better in retrospect, unless one is still furious about trains, in which case nothing can be done.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I'm pretty sure this show is fine, and that it probably could have/should have been a movie. When it's all out it will be better in retrospect, unless one is still furious about trains, in which case nothing can be done.

Speaking of, when is this show relative to The Marvels? Fury wearing his eyepatch and doesn't have the full beard in the trailers.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I googled "why doesn't Fury wear his eyepatch anymore and there was an article with Jackson where he says that Fury isn't feeling strong right now and his eyepatch makes him feel strong, so he will get his groove and eyepatch back, presumably, by the end of the series.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

*Popeye theme plays as Fury plucks out his eye and puts on an eyepatch*

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

sad that this episode we don't see the [SQUELCHING] subtitle

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Fury is gonna go to one of his 300 safehouses across the globe, access some biometrics safe, and pull out a deluxe eyepatch with nightvision and some high tech augmented reality HUD integrated within it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

cap guy in the car with all the skrulls is gonna be that super powered skrull otherwise why is he even here

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Ninurta posted:

Why didn't they air those first 10 minutes in front of the first episode? It would have made the premiere flow better I think. Also, Skruller Carlson and the Skrulluminati.

I felt the same, while it was on it felt like this was primo episode1 stuff.

Also, on reflection, it's a bit crappy that Fury's Skrull wife has to earthface herself for him when he gets home. There are *layers* to how iffy that is.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Parkingtigers posted:

Also, on reflection, it's a bit crappy that Fury's Skrull wife has to earthface herself for him when he gets home. There are *layers* to how iffy that is.

I honestly wasn't sure what that scene was saying. Does Fury know his wife is a Skrull or has she been replaced?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

PriorMarcus posted:

I honestly wasn't sure what that scene was saying. Does Fury know his wife is a Skrull or has she been replaced?
I’m pretty sure he knows, because that woman shows up in the flashback parts of the episode

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Parkingtigers posted:

"has to" is definitely an interpretation/word choice

There are a lot of possible explanations for that scene. If it's entirely straight as it appears though I agree it's not great, but there's almost certainly more to it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

A big problem with this show has been that they rush through the plot and motivations from characters are being left behind

Rhodey told Fury he was ‘fired’, but what was his position these days anyway? He kind of went rogue from SHIELD during WS and then hasn’t officially been involved with anything that they’ve mentioned since, right?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FlamingLiberal posted:

A big problem with this show has been that they rush through the plot and motivations from characters are being left behind

Rhodey told Fury he was ‘fired’, but what was his position these days anyway? He kind of went rogue from SHIELD during WS and then hasn’t officially been involved with anything that they’ve mentioned since, right?

He says they basically hired him as a contractor after he came back from the blip. He was "building the most advanced space defense system known to man" according to the President. All the stuff he was doing with SABRE was sanctioned by the government and he was getting cut loose for abandoning his post and getting the U.S. blamed for the Moscow bombings.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
That's the other issue with this show, which is set in 2024/2025. It ignores almost 2 decades of MCU events. Somehow, even after an event in which half the universe vanished and then returned 5 years later, where aliens have visited and attacked Earth multiple times, where a giant creature froze while rising from the ocean, that we still have stuff like NATO and Russian in a fragile stand-off that could be false flagged into nuclear war by bombs going off in Moscow while an American is present?

There are much better shows waiting to be made that explore what it is like to live in the MCU at at this point. She-Hulk, despite being a sitcom, exploring the legal aspects of minor league supervillainy/heroism at least touched on it. FatWS was close to getting into it, but fumbled the Flagsmasher side of the show. Others like WandaVision only looking back at personal trauma.

I don't know what this show wants. Clearly there's an aim for some cold war paranoia about who you can trust blah blah blah but tech levels in the MCU mean there must be ways to scan who is human and who isn't. Fury would have been building that stuff years ago. Bolivar Trask will be out there building it to scan for mutants. They've done enough infiltration/mind control stories by now that looking for magical ways someone, especially government officials, might not be what they seem. That stuff should be pervasive, and to the point where it's causing civil rights violations and a pushback to it. Hell, even the Skrull gimmick of looking like a human is something SHIELD agents have been doing for over a year with their face camo peel-off thingies.

I don't know yet what this show is trying to say, beyond torture works and some refugees will turn on you, and I sincerely hope there's some more inspirational messages coming in the future episodes because so far it's not giving me anything to cheer for.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Super Deuce posted:

Speaking of, when is this show relative to The Marvels? Fury wearing his eyepatch and doesn't have the full beard in the trailers.

Clearly has to sometime after, since he goes back to working on SABRE and he looks like his old self again.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Parkingtigers posted:

That's the other issue with this show, which is set in 2024/2025. It ignores almost 2 decades of MCU events. Somehow, even after an event in which half the universe vanished and then returned 5 years later, where aliens have visited and attacked Earth multiple times, where a giant creature froze while rising from the ocean, that we still have stuff like NATO and Russian in a fragile stand-off that could be false flagged into nuclear war by bombs going off in Moscow while an American is present?

There are much better shows waiting to be made that explore what it is like to live in the MCU at at this point. She-Hulk, despite being a sitcom, exploring the legal aspects of minor league supervillainy/heroism at least touched on it. FatWS was close to getting into it, but fumbled the Flagsmasher side of the show. Others like WandaVision only looking back at personal trauma.

I don't know what this show wants. Clearly there's an aim for some cold war paranoia about who you can trust blah blah blah but tech levels in the MCU mean there must be ways to scan who is human and who isn't. Fury would have been building that stuff years ago. Bolivar Trask will be out there building it to scan for mutants. They've done enough infiltration/mind control stories by now that looking for magical ways someone, especially government officials, might not be what they seem. That stuff should be pervasive, and to the point where it's causing civil rights violations and a pushback to it. Hell, even the Skrull gimmick of looking like a human is something SHIELD agents have been doing for over a year with their face camo peel-off thingies.

I don't know yet what this show is trying to say, beyond torture works and some refugees will turn on you, and I sincerely hope there's some more inspirational messages coming in the future episodes because so far it's not giving me anything to cheer for.

The problem is that the MCU is becoming a thing where you miss nothing, at all, by reading the summary on Wikipedia. None of the characters mean anything, and all of the films/shows exist simply to move from A to B and get to the next thing.

She-Hulk and the Dr. Strange sequel are the only half-decent things that's come out in years, and even Shulk poo poo the bed with its ending.

All of the properties are going to have rushed and terrible CGI, characters, plot, and so forth because they've realized the profit is in the conveyor belt of poo poo in terms of merchandise and the next property. People are going to consume it regardless of quality (for now), so just keep pumping it out before the well goes dry.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Red posted:

Shulk poo poo the bed with its ending.

Did we watch the same show? She-Hulk ended wonderfully

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

Some people loved it. Presumably other people were more "Waaahh!! Me want CGI fights and skybeams! Waaaahhhh!!!"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I very much appreciated Jennifer looking directly into the camera and going "this is the wrong ending for this kind of show"

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
yeah of all the marvel shows so far i thought she-hulk was the one that stuck the landing the best

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

It was perfect up until the non-ending.

Everyone posted:

Some people loved it. Presumably other people were more "Waaahh!! Me want CGI fights and skybeams! Waaaahhhh!!!"

It was a great story that deserved a resolution, not just a wink. It's not the worst thing in the world, but I think the show could've done better.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

She-Hulk ruled, dunno what you're talking about

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Maybe She Hulk smashed Daredevil so hard he lost control of his bowels

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Parkingtigers posted:

Gotta say, setting any part of the story in England was a mistake. They filmed the Moscow stuff in England and when they cut between the two (lol) countries it's just not obvious some of the time.
As much as I hate complaining about this type of stuff, an establishing shot of Brixton in 1997 that was obviously recorded this year and not touched up in the slightest is just lazy. Even the Shard is in the background.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

For real. It, Ms. Marvel, and Loki have the strongest endings of any of the D+ shows.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Red posted:

It was perfect up until the non-ending.

It was a great story that deserved a resolution, not just a wink. It's not the worst thing in the world, but I think the show could've done better.
I agree

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Parkingtigers posted:

Gotta say, setting any part of the story in England was a mistake. They filmed the Moscow stuff in England and when they cut between the two (lol) countries it's just not obvious some of the time.

Say what you will about the "Moscow" stuff, but I did chuckle at Fury keeping his British BOV in the same hideout as the gang from A Fish Called Wanda.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

lol the A plot in SheHulk wasn't a good story, it was a pretty bland, boring rear end one. The silly B plot stuff was much more fun (once you let go of needing it to be serious), and the relationship stuff was pretty decent for TV and the performances were pretty good. The fact that they just chucked the tropey A plot in order to break the 4th wall was fun, even if "Cool Uncle Self Deprecating Disney" bits never quite land for me.

If I had any critique (aside from ubiquitous Marvel TV pacing issues), it would be the existence of a stupid boring A plot in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Agreed that the plot of stealing her blood to make super hulk incels was really loving dumb