Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

temple posted:

personal top tier alien

mods??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i just wanna smoke weed with a alien one time is that too much to ask?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i just wanna smoke alien weed one time is that too much to ask?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
just gonna drop my favorite ufo adjacent conspiracy here while we all wait for these dozens of whistleblowers to come forward: https://astroengineer.wordpress.com/2010/04/07/a-curiosity-of-spirit-full-document/

tl;dr -- nasa engineer discovers ftl communication device on Mars rovers and something on Mars is being hidden. I'm sure it's fake, but the computer science details seem to check out and are really neat

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Winkle-Daddy posted:

just gonna drop my favorite ufo adjacent conspiracy here while we all wait for these dozens of whistleblowers to come forward: https://astroengineer.wordpress.com/2010/04/07/a-curiosity-of-spirit-full-document/

tl;dr -- nasa engineer discovers ftl communication device on Mars rovers and something on Mars is being hidden. I'm sure it's fake, but the computer science details seem to check out and are really neat

"I deleted all of the evidence because I was worried someone was going to break into my house and steal the evidence. My friend still has it all though." [presents no evidence]

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

LuckyCat posted:

Here's a dece article from NPR on this (although it's from 7 years ago): https://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/2...icle%20Physics.

Thanks for the link, good article. The article makes another point towards this idea: The Universe is super young, it will live on and evolve for trillions of more years. So in a relative sense, we exist very early in the history of Everything.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

temple posted:

My personal top tier alien would be a mute starman like lost alien type that shows up and chills with people. But he'd be famous and know poo poo like how to get super high but no freak out or addiction and maybe some nerd poo poo like perpetual motion. All the k pop guys would imitate him but tell people to not get vacines and that would be bad. Overall the starman would be embraced by all as a visitor that would tour the world and have a netflix show where people try to marry him and he'd play with fidget spinners and poo poo.

the iron giant

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Olewithmilk posted:

Look at this Alien's huge hog, the alien hog website

Hunter Biden is an alien? It ALL MAKES SENSE NOW

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ziggy Stardust is the only alien I want

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Check out the ariel school incident. 60+ kids saw some crazy poo poo go down! I wish i knew exactly wtf happened there whether it was aliens or not

The weird orb things from the fighter plane footage make me think more of dimensional or spacetime phenomena than intelligent life. Space ghosts!?

Pretty sure we will find some cool ET tardigrades and poo poo on Europa but not much else beyond that unless we start shipping out the mormon colony ships asap

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Also there was a UFO witnessed at o'hare international in 2006 and it supposedly hung around for 5 minutes but no one took pictures? Fuckin lazy rear end airport workers

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Watching some old Unsolved Mysteries earlier and I love when they aliens can travel the stars, but they can't figure out how to turn off their little external lights when they go for a probin

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Khanstant posted:

Watching some old Unsolved Mysteries earlier and I love when they aliens can travel the stars, but they can't figure out how to turn off their little external lights when they go for a probin

Nobody wants space OSHA up their rear end.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

redshirt posted:

Someone earlier mentioned that maybe we are The Progenitors, we are the ones to spread life and technology across the Universe. I find this idea more plausible (though still highly unlikely) than advanced aliens visiting us, apparently regularly.

Consider: The Universe is approximately 14.5 billion years old. Our Sun (and Solar System) is about 4.5 billion years old. That 10 billion year gap may seem like a lot, but the early Universe was not hospitable. Giant stars made of almost pure hydrogen were exploding fast, all over. It was these explosions that created all the rest of the elements - oxygen, carbon, iron, etc. And that took a long time to spread across space. Our sun is a 3rd generation star, and perhaps it is only with this generation of stars that rocky worlds filled with elements could be created, and then life evolved to use these elements.

In sum, we might be the first or one of the first advanced societies in the Universe, strange as that may seem.

I think you are right on the money with all of this; although I think there are other more advanced species in our galaxy (not necessarily that they are here). Apparently after 1-2 billion years, the universe was much like it is today, which is a fact that surprised me. So maybe life could have started at 2+4= 6 billion years at its earliest. But you also did address this with the fact of our star being a 3rd generation, which is almost certainly important.

So the proposition is our universe is 'setup' to slow the initial generation of life, by various means, so we all arrive at roughly the same time. Furthermore, the emergent design of galaxies may slow the spread of intelligent life, for example the majority of the innermost radius of the galaxy is likely completely uninhabitable and hostile.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

new footage from taiwan just drop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UaH0uPDFMU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

You mean Lord Kinbote?

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

you can and will if you hang out in the right parts of Taipei.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

There's ~6 billion G-type stars in just the Milky Way and some folks itt think humans are probably first? Are you brain damaged?

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

That's a pretty strong jump. What's your explanation as to why there's no signals/probes/evidence of life? We just don't have the ability to detect it yet?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

It's a bit of a frought time for the UFO community. Got all hyped up about the whistleblower but it's all a wet fart. Like, I saw a guy saying it was going to mark the start of a new BC/AD type split, and then it comes out and no-one cares about some guy saying he has 2nd hand rumours.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Olewithmilk posted:

That's a pretty strong jump. What's your explanation as to why there's no signals/probes/evidence of life? We just don't have the ability to detect it yet?

We probably have been.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Bug Squash posted:

It's a bit of a frought time for the UFO community. Got all hyped up about the whistleblower but it's all a wet fart. Like, I saw a guy saying it was going to mark the start of a new BC/AD type split, and then it comes out and no-one cares about some guy saying he has 2nd hand rumours.

Ah, well, nevertheless

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Olewithmilk posted:

A combination of not looking/listening in the right place at the right time, not knowing what exactly to look/listen for, and our inability to conceptualize life outside of the narrow scope that exists on our planet.

Also an ever expanding seemingly endless universe really works against those aims.

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals
The film Nope is really good and I enjoy it.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Chris Pistols posted:

Oh, no, it's SUPER good.

I like it better than US.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Chris Pistols posted:

You have something on your chin. Oh it's drool...

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

is it pronounced ooh-fo or you-fo?

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
So John Greenewald Jr (the black vault) thinks Luis Elizondo was the one who leaked those vids New York times published back in 2017 cause he gave there different reasons for quitting. That and when he joined Blink-182 he said new videos are going to be dropped soon then tried to get the navy to declassify those vids.

I think I have gone full circle from thinking it could be aliens to thinking it is some weird magnetic hologram thing that tricks sensors into thinking they are seeing a solid object the states are working on. At least the ones over water.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

flubber nuts posted:

is it pronounced ooh-fo or you-fo?

It's actually uff-uss

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Houle posted:

So John Greenewald Jr (the black vault) thinks Luis Elizondo was the one who leaked those vids New York times published back in 2017 cause he gave there different reasons for quitting. That and when he joined Blink-182 he said new videos are going to be dropped soon then tried to get the navy to declassify those vids.

I think I have gone full circle from thinking it could be aliens to thinking it is some weird magnetic hologram thing that tricks sensors into thinking they are seeing a solid object the states are working on. At least the ones over water.

the quitting thing is less damning to me than his request for the explicit video leaked and his promise on quitting to release never before seen government ufo footage

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

i reckon there are probably some places in the universe where intelligent life could find other intelligent life. the numbers are so big that there has to be at least a few solar systems out there that ended up with multiple planets that could independently evolve intelligent life.

not us though, we're in the arse end of nowhere.

It makes sense that every planet that has evolved one intelligent species of "people" has dozens. Including earth. We know some of them, like the neanderthals, died out (mostly). There are probably others that we don't even acknowledge as being people because they are too alien and don't wear pants. Like octopuses.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

I loving knew it

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Facebook Aunt posted:

It makes sense that every planet that has evolved one intelligent species of "people" has dozens. Including earth. We know some of them, like the neanderthals, died out (mostly). There are probably others that we don't even acknowledge as being people because they are too alien and don't wear pants. Like octopuses.

Also parrots & whales

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Happy World UFO Day! They are real and international

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Posadas was wrong about a lot of things, but he was right about that.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Corridor Crew does some more UFO video debunking, including one video that managed to get on a local nightly news program:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39SJAcNXCzM

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Hardly anyone talks about Finnish UFO sightings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5UkA2Gg-Cc

Chris Pistols posted:

Nope rules.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Also parrots & whales

and dolphins, and elephants, and pigs, and ravens, crows, and pigeons, and chimpanzees and bonobos, and rats

e: and raccoons and cats and dogs and squirrels

We thought we were special for so long but modern animal science is realizing we basically ain't poo poo except opposable thumbs, cooking our food, and complex recordable/written language (which likely comes from opposable thumbs or cooking our food).

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

deep dish peat moss posted:

and dolphins, and elephants, and pigs, and ravens, crows, and pigeons, and chimpanzees and bonobos, and rats

e: and raccoons and cats and dogs and squirrels

We thought we were special for so long but modern animal science is realizing we basically ain't poo poo except opposable thumbs, cooking our food, and complex recordable/written language (which likely comes from opposable thumbs or cooking our food).

Raccoons have opposable thumbs.