Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

No polar pop bear 1/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/MayorWayneBrown/status/1674589056041385984

(Currently 71% "No, I love them")

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Forget the cones, what about the shopping carts?

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

echinopsis posted:

in two days time I am gearing up for free prescriptions at my pharmacy. I look to national undoing all of the benefit it’ll briefly create

Did you notice the difference? I was just thinking that if I hadn't already hit my high user mark for the year I probably would have waited till the fee was gone.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I ram raided a cone once

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

I ram raided a cone once

More like the cone rammed you

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

I ram raided a cone once

Oh you're working on LGWM? Noice.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
what's this guy got against VLC Media Player

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
ok, "ram raid" is now a sex thing guys

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

bike tory posted:

How has no one posted this itt yet

I can get behind smash bros being the thing that gets localised versions rather than monopoly, which isn't even a good game.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Lobsterpillar posted:

I can get behind smash bros being the thing that gets localised versions rather than monopoly, which isn't even a good game.

It's better when you play the actual rules without free parking and poo poo, because it at least doesn't drag on forever like Risk but in rural NZ or loving World of Warcraft or w/e

E: it's still not good, but at least it's less bad

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It was originally created as a criticism of landlords and capitalism and was not intended to be fun at all

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

It's better when you play the actual rules without free parking and poo poo, because it at least doesn't drag on forever like Risk but in rural NZ or loving World of Warcraft or w/e

Congestion charging but only for the car token

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

ok, "ram raid" is now a sex thing guys

Nah, it's just migrated to the cities from the rural sector.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

The rule where every property that isn't bought is immediately auctioned off makes a big difference too. I don't know that anyone plays that but it's right there in the rules.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

WarpedNaba posted:

Nah, it's just migrated to the cities from the rural sector.

also a sex thing

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/493035/green-party-s-pledge-to-renters-what-you-need-to-know

i've always thought it'd be politically smarter to give councils the ability to set rent controls

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

We're talking the same councils who are actively fighting intensification and using roads as a sewer because they don't want to upset the landowners?

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
I always feel a little sad when the Greens release policy. They regularly provide proof of concept that New Zealand could be better, whilst Labour and National will end up deciding the specifics on how it will get worse.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Don't forget the landlords immediately screaming bloody murder

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
60% of the country screams bloody murder at anything that might dull the insane avarice of landlords because they all want to be landlords

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

We are all temporarily embarrassed landlords

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
you either die a renter or live long enough to become a landlord

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The framing on this article is so cooked: https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/493067/greens-rent-control-plan-may-mean-fewer-landlords-less-maintenance-economist

quote:

"The risk with rent controls is that it disincentivises people from becoming landlords"

Oh no!!!!

quote:

"They'll do the absolute bare minimum because changes in the market can't be reflected in price."

lol, lmao

crishop posted:

"It will mean fewer landlords, more expensive rentals and a more dysfunctional private rental market. It won't work and they should throw it in the bin."

fewer landlords = bad apparently.

quote:

ACT's housing spokesperson Brooke van Velden accused the Greens of singling groups out and 'othering' them for political gain.

I thought ACT didn't like identity politics

It's not until you get like 4/5 of the way through the article that you see:

quote:

"When you look globally, this is bringing us into line with other countries in the OECD. This is not new, this is not radical.

"This is exactly what other countries have that have a functional renting system

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
The spinoff were at it too in their "newsletter":

quote:

Three is the magic number
The Green Party released a Pledge to Renters that would introduce rent controls limiting increases to 3% a year, including for new tenancy agreements. Rent increases larger than 3% would be allowed only if the landlord had made “substantial changes to the property that provide a material benefit to tenants”, such as major renovations, and the increase would need to be agreed by the tenants and the landlord before work began. The pledge also includes a “warrant of fitness” for rentals – a certification that every landlord would need to obtain at their own expense before letting a property. While the current Healthy Homes Standards are mandatory for new tenancies (existing private tenancies have until July 1 2025 to comply), enforcement is currently minimal, the Greens say. A WoF would take the burden off renters to enforce the law by taking their landlord to the Tenancy Tribunal.

An unsurprising thumbs down from landlords
The reaction from landlords has not been kind. The Property Investors Federation says rent controls would worsen the rental property shortage by encouraging landlords to sell up, and mean more tenancies being negotiated on the “black market”. Vice president Peter Lewis says singling out rents for price controls doesn’t make sense, given that rents are rising at less than the rate of inflation while costs to landlords such as rates and insurance skyrocket. He argues that restoring the mortgage interest deduction would do more to help tenants, through flow-on effects on rents. National and Act have also attacked the policy, while advocacy group Renters United is welcoming the proposals as “ultimately better for renters and landlords”.

Are economists right to disparage rent controls?
National’s housing spokesperson Chris Bishop says “almost all” economists agree rent controls are counterproductive. Is he right? In 2021, Stuff’s Mikaela Wilkes spoke to ​​Council of Trade Unions economist Craig Renney and independent economist Shamubeel Eaqub about rent controls, and both said they’re generally a bad idea. “Rent controls are a disincentive to build property types that are more likely to be rented, like apartments and small dwellings, and they are a disincentive for landlords to maintain properties to a level we would like,” said Renney. “It seems like a deceptively simple thing to do: just stop rents rising and everything will be fine,” said Eaqub. “But it isn’t that simple, there are known consequences.” Renters United forcefully pushes back on claims they don’t work. “The top performing economies in the OECD successfully implement rent controls,” their website argues. “This is not a radical idea that has never been tried before.” Vox also has an in-depth explainer that makes the case for rent controls.

For property investors, it all hinges on October 14
Labour has yet to release its election policy on housing, but it’s pointing to renter-friendly changes already introduced, such as rules limiting rent rises to once every 12 months. National is promising more help for landlords, including restoring no-cause evictions and the mortgage interest tax deduction, both removed (or phased out) under Labour’s watch. The differing approaches are encapsulated in an interview with a property investor by Stuff’s Geraden Cann. Brianna Kerridge says she and her husband will likely sell one of their four properties if Labour wins in October – but if National regains power, then they’re all set to buy a fifth.

Feels like they are cherry picking the quotes from economists too

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

:shrug: I've seen these claims made over and over and over and I've only seen things get worse every time investors get their way, so I'm ready to say gently caress it, let's see what happens. I doubt I'm the only one who feels this way either.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

:shrug: I've seen these claims made over and over and over and I've only seen things get worse every time investors get their way, so I'm ready to say gently caress it, let's see what happens. I doubt I'm the only one who feels this way either.

you don't even need to go that ambiguous. it's well established in loads of countries and municipalities, as are the effects.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

"They'll do the absolute bare minimum because changes in the market can't be reflected in price."

lmao, good thing that the minimum will be having a healthy and warm home fit for habitation then

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Lol, landlords are not exactly known for going the extra mile. Doing the absolute bare minimum is what being a landlord is all about.

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

Brianna Kerridge says she and her husband will likely sell one of their four properties if Labour wins in October – but if National regains power, then they’re all set to buy a fifth.

Are you loving kidding me, are these parasites supposed to be sympathetic? Good, I hope they have to sell all their properties. I don't understand how people see national policy like the above quoted and go "oh yes these fuckin neolibs are on my side".

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

"They'll do the absolute bare minimum because."
That about sums up the current approach. Either you do the bare minimum and bump rents up as high as you like or you do the bare minimum and you can't and so I guess you sell your unit?

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

How does no cause evictions help anyone except landlords to kick people out and jack prices up. Can't wait for these assholes to be back in power, good poo poo.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
I think my mother in law has the only good landlord I've heard of.

Rent hasn't gone up in five years, and she hasn't heard from him in three years. Maybe he's died or something, who knows?

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Double posting, but I was a landlord for a whole year once, it bloody sucked and it makes me even more suspicious of anyone who wants to do it for a living. Like, it felt like a personal failure on my part that the hot water cylinder broke and it took me a day to get a new one in so their kid had to have a shower at grandma's.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

carrionman posted:

Double posting, but I was a landlord for a whole year once, it bloody sucked and it makes me even more suspicious of anyone who wants to do it for a living. Like, it felt like a personal failure on my part that the hot water cylinder broke and it took me a day to get a new one in so their kid had to have a shower at grandma's.

I can see how your problem (giving a poo poo) and the solution (just don't) will automatically select for the biggest pieces of poo poo to be the most successful landlords

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Slavvy posted:

I can see how your problem (giving a poo poo) and the solution (just don't) will automatically select for the biggest pieces of poo poo to be the most successful landlords

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Oh, it was great. Originally I was going to run it via a rental agency, harcourts I think, because it was only for a year and I couldn't be assed to actually manage it myself.
The people in those agencies, now there's some loving psychopaths. The profiling that went on there would make a phrenologist proud, made my goddamn skin crawl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

carrionman posted:

Maybe he's died or something, who knows?

That would by definition make them the only good landlord