Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

The written Eurogamer review was way too harsh. Aofie on their video team was far more positive, a totally separate take.

I've been playing this with a friend who has a PS5 and personally I think this is a top three FF. Really, really digging this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

I said come in! posted:

They called the side quests dull, which is a big lol and shows that they didn't really pay attention.

Plenty of people who payed attention find FFXVI sidequests dull tbf

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Even if side quests are dull, a 3/5 review score is insane.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BAHAMUT :tviv:
love the direct reference to his fight from FFXIV with “stand in the bubble to survive terraflare”
lmbo when “Zettaflare” came up onscreen. Look what they need to do just to rival donald duck’s power
that felt like a final boss fight

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Mordiceius posted:

Review also criticised the game on race. I don't think the reviewer finished Sanbreque.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Have they really done this since Schrier left

Probably not lol I haven't gone to their website on a regular basis in years.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Have they really done this since Schrier left

Schreier isn't a gem, either; IMO he's a glorified ambulance chaser with little regard for staff-level devs (he claims otherwise but his stories often hurt 'em and he keeps doing it)

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

I said come in! posted:

They called the side quests dull, which is a big lol and shows that they didn't really pay attention.

Mordiceius posted:

I also thought the side quests I did were dull lol. The writing is fine, but most of them are so stiffly presented it's like doing ARR side quests in FF14 all over again.

Honestly after I marathoned the game over the past week and went a few days without playing it, I cooled on a lot of it! While the high parts are really high, the low parts are so low I'm mostly just left with a "well, it was generally a fine FF experience." Someone giving it a 3/5 isn't even that outrageous to me.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I have all but one final item for the wall of memories. Is that something that comes from the main story or some other side thing, like the hunts? I have done every single sidequest that I'm aware of

For reference, the next thing I have to do in the story is, what I assume, is the final dungeon: I have to go the big crystal Ultima made

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Macaluso posted:

I have all but one final item for the wall of memories. Is that something that comes from the main story or some other side thing, like the hunts? I have done every single sidequest that I'm aware of

For reference, the next thing I have to do in the story is, what I assume, is the final dungeon: I have to go the big crystal Ultima made

You can get it before the final dungeon. Do you have all the orchestrions?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The last thing you get for beating all the chronoliths.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Sakurazuka posted:

The last thing you get for beating all the chronoliths.

I have completely forgotten about the chronoliths

Clarste posted:

You can get it before the final dungeon. Do you have all the orchestrions?

I do not, not even close

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

isk posted:

Schreier isn't a gem, either; IMO he's a glorified ambulance chaser with little regard for staff-level devs (he claims otherwise but his stories often hurt 'em and he keeps doing it)

Eh, I was one of his “anonymous” sources for the Gas Powered Games implosion news when the Wildman kickstarter imploded and it was a good experience. Would leak info to him again. Chris Taylor was worse.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Well holy drat everything involving Twinsides & the 5th Eikon was loving wild as hell.

The bros fusing and having a Super Saiyan fight with Bahamut in Space was balls to the wall nonsense in the best loving way imaginable goddamn. And then Dion chucks a spear at a fake child for the 2nd time in one day. Watching Annabella's entire world just crumble to dust was immensely satisfying and I couldn't feel the slightest bit sorry for her even as she slit her own throat. Good riddance World's Worst Mom.

And then to wrap all that up all I can say about the scene afterwards involving Barnabas is:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
man the chronoliths are getting me tilted. good though! i needed a tilt

appreciate the earlier eikon advice as well. switching out titan for shiva lowered my DPS a lot but cranked up my will damage more than enough to make up the difference

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 1, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Well holy drat everything involving Twinsides & the 5th Eikon was loving wild as hell.

The bros fusing and having a Super Saiyan fight with Bahamut in Space was balls to the wall nonsense in the best loving way imaginable goddamn. And then Dion chucks a spear at a fake child for the 2nd time in one day. Watching Annabella's entire world just crumble to dust was immensely satisfying and I couldn't feel the slightest bit sorry for her even as she slit her own throat. Good riddance World's Worst Mom.

And then to wrap all that up all I can say about the scene afterwards involving Barnabas is:

The music in that fight is so drat good

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah I just got the 4th eikonb which was hella fun but now I'm running around doing errands for mid and a bunch of boring side quests and I just about fell asleep on my couch. The games lows are low.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

queeb posted:

Yeah I just got the 4th eikonb which was hella fun but now I'm running around doing errands for mid and a bunch of boring side quests and I just about fell asleep on my couch. The games lows are low.

This part tested my will to continue playing the game. Why in the hell am I the one charged with buying garlic?

I’m glad I pushed through the 5th Eikon fight was amazing.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I actually liked the Mid quest because Clive got to go on dates with Gav and Tarja.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Oxxidation posted:

man the chronoliths are getting me tilted. good though! i needed a tilt

appreciate the earlier eikon advice as well. switching out titan for shiva lowered my DPS a lot but cranked up my will damage more than enough to make up the difference

There's ways to farm up time on all of them. Once you work it out they're easy.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
My reaction to the side quests is definitely, "Oh, this is just like FFXIV, they're trying to use these mediocre lore side quests to improve the pacing." Works for me, but I could certainly see people disliking it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

DalaranJ posted:

My reaction to the side quests is definitely, "Oh, this is just like FFXIV, they're trying to use these mediocre lore side quests to improve the pacing." Works for me, but I could certainly see people disliking it.

Should've swapped the events in Boklad so that it was something like oops those goblins accidentally stole the trading pass while they took Goetz's food and it would've been a neater expansion of the world.

Although it is funny you can do that quest and then also have a guy accosted by other, apparently related, goblins that you have to kill at the same time.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

It's done

jesus loving christ, what a brutal ending

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I liked traveling through the desert with Clive's uncle. While I can understand finding that stuff boring, I think it helps with getting you invested with the setting when you spend time with all these side characters.

I kinda suspect that this whole sequence was because his uncle is gonna get killed later, probably on the order of Annabella or something, though.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I completed this game at 85 hours and I still absolutely cannot handle that Goetz is pronounced Gootz.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Finished "Buried Memories" and Accepted the Truth and that poo poo ruled. Limit bar popping in reminded me of the cult-classic Xbox game Breakdown when you get your powers. Also I got big kick out of how during the Eikon fight, the game sets up the health bars, and then Clive proceeds to perfect the shadow in like 10 seconds. I love when games use the game design and mechanics to add to the narrative. I guess I can understand why people would be down on it, but this is the stuff I love.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 1, 2023

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I loving love ending combat with Clive saying in his gruffest voice "you lose", then doing a sick roundhouse kick that ends on a freezeframe slomo because it's the last enemy.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Honestly, Clive is genuinely loving hilarious.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I'm sure everyone must know someone like this, but he's the guy that doesn't know he's funny but manages to say really funny poo poo all the time without realizing it.

E: one of my other little favourite things is how he opens chests by giving them a bit of a kick. Such a great animation.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 1, 2023

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is the Red comet Chocobo hunt a reference to something?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

RatHat posted:

Maybe it goes further back but afaict it's a reference to an accidental legendary difficulty spike of a sidequest to unlock an alliance raid in ffxiv in the stormblood expansion

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

Yes, it's a multi-part reference.

It's a reference to the Red Chocobos from Final Fantasy Tactics and also particularly FFXIV where an infamously badly designed quest lead to a series of injokes and fights against terrifyingly powerful meteor dropping chocobos, one of whom is called The Red Comet.

The Red Comet (and thus the Dread Comet) are also both references to Mobile Suit Gundam's Char, who goes by that nickname.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RatHat posted:

It’s a reference to the red chocobos from FF Tactics which became a minor running gag in 14.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

RatHat posted:

Red Chocobos in FF generally use Choco Meteor, so it's a broad reference to other games in the series. However, at the launch of FFXIV patch 4.3 there was a quest to unlock one of the Ivalice raids that had you fight a small group of Red Chocobos. Because everyone blitzed to unlock the raid, several dozen Red Chocobos would spawn at once, casting constant Choco Meteors, and leading to many, many dead players.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that hunt was a fun experience

i was cruising through as usual and then it fired off choco meteorain. it took about 80% of my healthbar before i realized this wasn't going to stop

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

cubicle gangster posted:

I loving love ending combat with Clive saying in his gruffest voice "you lose", then doing a sick roundhouse kick that ends on a freezeframe slomo because it's the last enemy.

My favorite is when he does this and you're fighting something that is just a random animal. Clive has a problem with vultures, I guess.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

DalaranJ posted:

My favorite is when he does this and you're fighting something that is just a random animal. Clive has a problem with vultures, I guess.

That's the only time he's done it for me. Crabs, birds, bees, they're all fuckin losers according to Clive.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Dread it. Run from it. Choco Meteor arrives just the same.

Pertaining to the current chain of spoilers

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Immediately post acquiring last eikon: honestly kind of a lower rent fight from barnabas than I thought it was going to be. More of a real feeling boss fight in terms of challenge than bahamut but a lot less spectacular. I'm beginning to see how the narrative wants to thematically tie clives slavery post capture and his slavery or lack thereof to fate in the form of Ultima, especially with his little diss at ol' barny boy at the end there. That's why his mom gives birth to a little Ultima vessel - her eugenics is a kind of biological determinism that mirrors our big goth boy's perpsective. Or maybe im wrong. Obviously there's a lot of time left in the final act of a FF game for stuff to surprise you but that appears to be the read of the situation so far.

Also feels like I'm about to be absolutely bamboozled by the shadowy cabal with an obsessive devotion to Joshua being evil. Shame it has to be that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
That fight's vibe makes a lot more sense when you realize it's an extended Vergil from DMC homage (specifically DMC3 Vergil) down to Barnbas' looking more and more like Devil Triggered Vergil as it goes on