Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
niche communities for your stupid hobbies are pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Quotey posted:

Niche hobby spaces where I can yell at strangers for having bad taste.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Quotey posted:

Not like those dont exist on here

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Ahundredbux posted:

Some of them exist (not all of them), but they're far lower traffic. Got some niche subs I follow with 20+ decent posts a day on Reddit where the SA thread is lucky to get a post every 2-4 weeks. Not remotely the same.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

almost1337 posted:

Soon we will see how many people continue to use reddit without the 3rd party apps. I'm guessing it will be more significant than the protests, but also short lived.

It does seem like at least one of the app devs is working on an app for Lemmy, so that may get some traction in a few months.

I think the thing people will notice more is actual discussion getting drowned out by hordes of spambots because all the tools Mods used to deal with them(and the sometimes the mods themselves) are no longer available.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Just got a push notification from Reddit Sync that it has now shut down. RIP

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Reddit Unsync

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

what happened to twitter?

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Apollo and RIF are officially dead

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

The Voice of Labor posted:

Elon went agro and said "gently caress YOU IF YOU CANCELLED YOUR ACCT."

which I did
So lol.
Guess no more tweets for me.
(Which gently caress it, I needed to move on anyway. Little hypocritical of me to make a show of canceling my account but then still going there if I saw a good tweet, or news tweet.)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The Voice of Labor posted:

Twitter isn't gay enough for Elon.

cracker
May 12, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Bacon reader died for me a couple hours ago. Hopefully I can tighten up my gym routine instead of procrastinating scrolling reddit.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I believe in you, you can exercise without making GBS threads your pants!

Ogma
Jun 6, 2003

Let the festivities commence!

Mega64 posted:

I believe in you, you can exercise without making GBS threads your pants!

Someone has to be able to.

bhig3
Feb 16, 2007

solidarity

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

look at Reddit and Twitter killing themselves both on the same day

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Ogma posted:

Someone has to be able to.

You'd think that about reddit users, but

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

poisonpill posted:

:tinfoil:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

"Elon shooting a load into his Grimes body pillow" : "Ah, another successful venture."

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Someone please stuff Elon into a Groversub that will drown him, and I will buy you an av.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I got banned from r/metaldetecting

Tragicomic
Jun 6, 2011

by Modern Video Games

Professor Moriarty posted:

You forgot option 4: lurking like we always did, and only posting just to prove someone wrong

Is Apollo down yet? RIF is still working for me

I guess I'll be trying SA again for lurking, but I did like having access to writers in the print science fiction forum or having tiny forums for tiny sci fi series

Spaceguns
Aug 28, 2007

I'm leaving RIF installed because it's doing a good job now keeping me off reddit. All the reddit links default to that app which is now erroring out.

Honestly probably going to free up a lot of my time but now I'll have to find something else to follow the commute once I'm caught up on my SA threads.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
There are still niche forums out there for loads of stuff, cycling, woodworking, hiking, cooking.

I’ll miss the locale specific subs most as they’re helpful to find new bars, cafes, gigs etc. and the only alternative to find out what’s happening is horrifying places like Facebook.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

poisonpill posted:

Now if only Facebook and YouTube could go down too.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Spaceguns posted:

I'm leaving RIF installed because it's doing a good job now keeping me off reddit. All the reddit links default to that app which is now erroring out.

Honestly probably going to free up a lot of my time but now I'll have to find something else to follow the commute once I'm caught up on my SA threads.

If you follow enough artists or just browse art tags, Instagram can be an almost a meh way to kill some commute/break time, except that it aggressively pushes you ads, and does everything it can to avoid just showing you stuff you specifically asked for, but if you wrestle it enough you can get yourself a feed of cool art and comics and niche interests or whatever.

Reddit was never good for art, especially it's main art subs really love to select for garbage. Little art blogs and just other people are usually how I find new artists I like, but IG and I guess Tumblr are the two ways through a phone app or site to get a feed of just art, avoiding like the worst news headlines of the day discussed by collection of worst idiots.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
It will be interesting to watch if things develop in the next few days. Either way, I'm not bothered- but it would be really funny to see Reddit negatively affected in some way.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

wooger posted:

There are still niche forums out there for loads of stuff, cycling, woodworking, hiking, cooking.

I’ll miss the locale specific subs most as they’re helpful to find new bars, cafes, gigs etc. and the only alternative to find out what’s happening is horrifying places like Facebook.

Check out the LAN threads here

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

poisonpill posted:

I didn't even see the twitter poo poo, wild

apparently these companies are racing for speedrun platform death any%

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tragicomic posted:

I guess I'll be trying SA again for lurking, but I did like having access to writers in the print science fiction forum or having tiny forums for tiny sci fi series

One of the writers of The Expanse series of novels would post from time to time in The Expanse sub. That's pretty cool.

Tragicomic
Jun 6, 2011

by Modern Video Games

redshirt posted:

One of the writers of The Expanse series of novels would post from time to time in The Expanse sub. That's pretty cool.

For me, it was u/cstross, who would answer questions about his books and the overall industry

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Elon has put up the wall so I can’t read a danganronpa screenshot tweet LP

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

redshirt posted:

That was the thing that brought me to reddit in the first place, one of the devs for the game Stunts (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stunts_(video_game)) that I played the gently caress out of as a kid was just hanging out answering questions about the game and I was like, what the gently caress is this place, this is awesome

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've spent some time on Lemmy now and it's cool despite the bugs. Small enough communities that you get discussions unlike Reddit. Just good to supplement this place because things move slow here, too.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

redshirt posted:

I need to get back to reading those, I think I started book 5 but reading books has been more effort than it used to

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I've spent some time on Lemmy now and it's cool despite the bugs. Small enough communities that you get discussions unlike Reddit. Just good to supplement this place because things move slow here, too.

yeah, the unpopularity is a feature rather than a bug. you're also much likelier to be talking to people and not bots or paid microinfluencers.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 1, 2023

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Tragicomic posted:

For me, it was u/cstross, who would answer questions about his books and the overall industry

Oh nice, as in the Stross behind the Laundry Files? That would scan, he's always been a bit more online than other authors

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Ahundredbux posted:

There’s a few niche folk instrument subreddits that don’t really have equivalent threads here. Even then Reddit kinda punches below its weight in that department. All the really active Celtic music communities are stuck in 2004 and still using forums of one kind or another.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Joey still works so last day for me I suppose when not on desktop. I just can't deal with intrusive ads. Something about promoted posts in the feed annoy me. Anything deceptive like that just makes me want the company to wither and die.

I never really been bothered by the ads on SA, because they were specifically boxed in a predictable size, shape, and location. I just want the ability to customize my experience based upon what is available to work with rather than what is gated behind jackoff motions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Weirdly, RIF is working this morning but it forced a logout (attempting to log in results in "invalid client") so I can't use account features through it, but I can read anything I get linked to...

It looks like there are ways to patch your client and host it as your own instance, thereby appearing to be a low use third party app. I don't think I can be hosed to bother but it's something to look into if you care. They'll probably crack down on it if everyone does it though