Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cruxxed Up
Mar 30, 2011

Now you've done it.

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Hi, thread. Looking for a short story that a teacher read to us once when I was in grade 8 (around 13ish I guess?). I think it may have been by Eudora Welty or Flannery O’Connor or someone writing in a similar vein. Basic plot is a new girl comes to a small town and there are two boys who vie for her affections. The story ends with the girl getting hit by a car (truck? Bus?) as she’s running to cross the street where the two boys are standing with big bouquets of flowers. Does this ring any bells for anyone?

That has to be "Children on Their Birthdays" by Truman Capote. Great short story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

That's it exactly! Thank you!

psychic chasms
Oct 23, 2012

SCREWED UP CLICK TILL THEY LAY ME IN MY CASKET
I read a short story in one of those horror anthology paperbacks around 1999 that was about a lighthouse keeper who would get his blood sucked by some apparition every night until his body was found completely drained of blood at the end. It sounds like a vampire story, and maybe it was, but as a kid reading it I feel like I recall it being more of a ghost story? Anyway, the short story collection also contained a story about someone seeing their doppelgänger, if that helps narrow it down. Google doesn’t do much these days.

GrayGriffin
Apr 30, 2017
Trying to remember this short story I read that's about a man in a psychiatric hospital who believes that he's the only real person in existence and everyone and everything else is fake while his wife tries to convince him that's not the case. At the very end it's revealed that he's actually right and his wife and the other beings start talking about how to wipe his memory and move on to the next iteration, but at the same time his wife asks that in the next iteration he should get to see some landmark he's always liked a lot, I want to say it's the Taj Mahal? She's accused of being compromised, but says she's not scared of the consequences. I think it's kept vague why exactly these beings are doing this to the guy, and it ends on them preparing to restart their simulation. Part of me wants to say it's a Heinlein story, but at the same time I don't remember reading it in a Heinlein anthology.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Sounds like a very Phillip K Dick premise to me but the closest I can think of (and it's not all that close) is We Can Remember It For You Wholesale (which Total Recall is based on but it's actually quite different)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

GrayGriffin posted:

Trying to remember this short story I read that's about a man in a psychiatric hospital who believes that he's the only real person in existence and everyone and everything else is fake while his wife tries to convince him that's not the case. At the very end it's revealed that he's actually right and his wife and the other beings start talking about how to wipe his memory and move on to the next iteration, but at the same time his wife asks that in the next iteration he should get to see some landmark he's always liked a lot, I want to say it's the Taj Mahal? She's accused of being compromised, but says she's not scared of the consequences. I think it's kept vague why exactly these beings are doing this to the guy, and it ends on them preparing to restart their simulation. Part of me wants to say it's a Heinlein story, but at the same time I don't remember reading it in a Heinlein anthology.

It is a Heinlein story, "They".

GrayGriffin
Apr 30, 2017

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It is a Heinlein story, "They".

Thanks, that was it! Surprised I remembered some of the details so exactly, actually.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

GrayGriffin posted:

Thanks, that was it! Surprised I remembered some of the details so exactly, actually.

I rewrote it as a stage play for community college theatre class, so it's something I'll probably remember for the rest of my life.

(I did not get the Heinlein estate's permission. :ssh:)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Lemniscate Blue posted:

(I did not get the Heinlein estate's permission. :ssh:)

quoting for evidence lol

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Google's failing me yet again.

I remember a book with wizards doing secret research somewhere, having a magical particle accelerator type thing, and turning a cartload of scrap metal into gold to deal with funding problems.
At some point, the villain stumbles into the camp of Ellis Dee (IIRC) who was distilling the sparkles out of actually magic mushrooms for :2bong: reasons, and steals his equipment. Villain eventually twigs that wizards contain more magic than mushrooms do, kidnaps one and starts draining their blood to :350: it.

No idea how it ends, though - possibly it turns out they can't actually metabolise that much magic and it ends badly?

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 25, 2023

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I remember as a little kid having a book about the physics, technology, and history of aircraft that was a bit beyond my reading comprehension level at the time, it had a lot of illustrations; it began with a diagram showing various planes and flying objects starting with a dandelion seed and going up to the Space Shuttle, and ended with an illustrated breakdown of a hypothetical BVR dogfight. The cover was mostly black, had the word "FLIGHT" very prominently, and showed multicolored airflow lines over the fuselage and wings of an F-16.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Woolie Wool posted:

I remember as a little kid having a book about the physics, technology, and history of aircraft that was a bit beyond my reading comprehension level at the time, it had a lot of illustrations; it began with a diagram showing various planes and flying objects starting with a dandelion seed and going up to the Space Shuttle, and ended with an illustrated breakdown of a hypothetical BVR dogfight. The cover was mostly black, had the word "FLIGHT" very prominently, and showed multicolored airflow lines over the fuselage and wings of an F-16.

Are you sure it was an F-16? There's a Smithsonian Flight: The Complete History of Aviation that seems pretty close:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think this is an Arthur C Clarke story but for the life of me I cannot recall it: Sci fi, ship pilot is stranded in space when a massive god like figure saves him. I think the theme was that any advanced technology appears to be god or magic to lesser beings.

Anyone know the title?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I mean, Clarke’s Law is literally ‘Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.’

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Professor Shark posted:

I think this is an Arthur C Clarke story but for the life of me I cannot recall it: Sci fi, ship pilot is stranded in space when a massive god like figure saves him. I think the theme was that any advanced technology appears to be god or magic to lesser beings.

Anyone know the title?

This is going to bug me because I'm pretty sure I recognize it and it's on the tip of my brain. The one I remember, the rescuer is an alien who pilots a spaceship that looks like a massive humanoid figure "walking" through space, because why the gently caress not when you're that advanced?

Is that in line with what you remember?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lemniscate Blue posted:

This is going to bug me because I'm pretty sure I recognize it and it's on the tip of my brain. The one I remember, the rescuer is an alien who pilots a spaceship that looks like a massive humanoid figure "walking" through space, because why the gently caress not when you're that advanced?

Is that in line with what you remember?

Yes it is

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’m pretty sure the protagonist equates the alien helping him to the same way a human might help a caterpillar cross a road: tiny, insignificant, never to be thought of again

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

I’m pretty sure the protagonist equates the alien helping him to the same way a human might help a caterpillar cross a road: tiny, insignificant, never to be thought of again

That's also the main motif of Roadside Picnic / aka: Source of every bit of STALKER media. Unimaginatively advanced aliens visit earth and don't even notice us leaving some junk behind that can change lives, the way humans would have a picnic on the side of the road and leave their cups and napkins.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Professor Shark posted:

I think I've got it: "Passerby", Larry Niven

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I have that collection downstairs- would not have guessed Niven, but totally makes sense!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I would niven have guessed it

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
More like oldpunless

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
OK, got one for y'all.

British sci-fi novel

Set on a microplanet, like extremely small (maybe 50km diameter)? with its own atmosphere, because of some neutron star remnant at its core (or something on that order)

Settled only by a Hispanic (Portugese?) family.

Humor is somewhat Douglas Adams-ish but toned down, although the plot ends up being fairly absurd.

Overall world setup is that humanity had a war with AI, won, and banned any kind of AI, it's thought that they're still out there (a la the Battlestar Galactica reboot) rebuilding and looking for vengeance, and it turns out they're right

Leader of humanity who won the war is named The Dictator and was overthrown and is missing

There's one crazy old man on the planet that the family has occasional dealings with, and it turns out he's The Dictator

Earth sends some huge cube there that turns out to be a prison for a psychotic, impossibly powerful psyker named Father Christmas (or something similar).

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Are you sure it was an F-16? There's a Smithsonian Flight: The Complete History of Aviation that seems pretty close:

it was an F-16 or another 4th gen fighter aircraft with airflow marks, yes.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

GD_American posted:

OK, got one for y'all.

British sci-fi novel

Set on a microplanet, like extremely small (maybe 50km diameter)? with its own atmosphere, because of some neutron star remnant at its core (or something on that order)

Settled only by a Hispanic (Portugese?) family.

Humor is somewhat Douglas Adams-ish but toned down, although the plot ends up being fairly absurd.

Overall world setup is that humanity had a war with AI, won, and banned any kind of AI, it's thought that they're still out there (a la the Battlestar Galactica reboot) rebuilding and looking for vengeance, and it turns out they're right

Leader of humanity who won the war is named The Dictator and was overthrown and is missing

There's one crazy old man on the planet that the family has occasional dealings with, and it turns out he's The Dictator

Earth sends some huge cube there that turns out to be a prison for a psychotic, impossibly powerful psyker named Father Christmas (or something similar).

I feel like I've read this too, although I don't remember the cube bit. Hopefully someone else will be more useful

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Woolie Wool posted:

it was an F-16 or another 4th gen fighter aircraft with airflow marks, yes.

This one

starts with a dandelion and ends with a dogfight?

You can get a copy here

https://www.amazon.com/Flight-Things-Work-Walter-Boyne/dp/0705411400

or borrow it here:

https://archive.org/details/flight00boyn

Resident Idiot fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 1, 2023

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There's a book I'm trying to remember, it was a picturebook about poisonous plants. It starred a kid named Weed who could talk to plants and each of the plants he talked to had a beautiful arthopmorphic illustration while they talk about all the people they killed. Belladonna was a beautiful woman, Egot was a bunch of soldiers, Tobacco was "Madame Baccy" etc, Weed was the orphaned servant boy of an apothecary and he gave Belladonna to the girl he liked so she could dilate her pupils and look beautiful and she dies, then Weed goes crazy and poisons his master and runs off into the woods

I apparently remember everything about this book except what it's called and what the cover looks like

And there are 3 million illustrated books about poison plants, it's infuriating

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

YggiDee posted:

There's a book I'm trying to remember, it was a picturebook about poisonous plants. It starred a kid named Weed who could talk to plants and each of the plants he talked to had a beautiful arthopmorphic illustration while they talk about all the people they killed. Belladonna was a beautiful woman, Egot was a bunch of soldiers, Tobacco was "Madame Baccy" etc, Weed was the orphaned servant boy of an apothecary and he gave Belladonna to the girl he liked so she could dilate her pupils and look beautiful and she dies, then Weed goes crazy and poisons his master and runs off into the woods

I apparently remember everything about this book except what it's called and what the cover looks like

And there are 3 million illustrated books about poison plants, it's infuriating

Looking this up led me to The Poison Diaries.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Ahhh thank you so much! I was having no progress looking it up because there's a lot of illustrated books about poisonous plants, and also there's something funky going on with The Poison Diaries being two completely separate books with the same title.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

branedotorg posted:

I feel like I've read this too, although I don't remember the cube bit. Hopefully someone else will be more useful

I think this might be Gregory Benford’s Galactic Centre books? One of which has micro-scale humans on a neutron star, humanity is fleeing/hiding from the “mechs” generally.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

Kerbtree posted:

I think this might be Gregory Benford’s Galactic Centre books? One of which has micro-scale humans on a neutron star, humanity is fleeing/hiding from the “mechs” generally.

That's nuts, Stephen Baxter's flux has the same concept (though it's in the Xeelee Sequence - which has always reminded me of Niven's Known Space in worldbuilding).

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Isolationist posted:

That's nuts, Stephen Baxter's flux has the same concept (though it's in the Xeelee Sequence - which has always reminded me of Niven's Known Space in worldbuilding).

Ah, bollox. You’re right. I’m getting stuff crossed over. You’re spot-on, it’s definitely Flux.

Robert L Forward’s Dragon’s Egg 100% has aliens living in/on a Neutron star, tho.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I'm trying to identify a poem/poet that I half remember from school.

The poem had a part where ladies or a lady were walking the garden paths, possibly waiting for men/her man to return from war, and something about buttons or petticoats?

edit: never mind, I remembered it is Amy Lowell's "Patterns"

Enfys fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 9, 2023

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Sci-fi where Earth sends unwanted citizens to a new pIanet, modeIIed on how Britain sent prisoners to AustraIia? There is a revoIution on the prison pIanet, and they start rebuiIding society with new ruIes, ending up refusing to accept more immigrants from Earth, causing an aImost armed confIict?

Sorry, this is reaIIy vague, I read it whiIe in hospitaI around 20 years ago

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

BattyKiara posted:

Sci-fi where Earth sends unwanted citizens to a new pIanet, modeIIed on how Britain sent prisoners to AustraIia? There is a revoIution on the prison pIanet, and they start rebuiIding society with new ruIes, ending up refusing to accept more immigrants from Earth, causing an aImost armed confIict?

Sorry, this is reaIIy vague, I read it whiIe in hospitaI around 20 years ago

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
No, absoIuteIy not that

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Ok, I have one I need help finding.

A juvenile/young adult fantasy story, pretty certain it was a standalone book and not part of a larger series. Very similar in tone to some of the postmodern meta-fairytale retellings that were everywhere in the 90s-early 2000s. (Like somewhat along the lines of Ella Enchanted, Dealing with Dragons/Enchanted Forest Chronicles, Once Upon a Marigold, etc.)

The premise is that all book or story characters are really ‘alive,’ and when their stories are being read characters are acting out the story as if they are in a play. When their book is closed they live their lives as normal, but when it’s open they have to be ‘on-script’ and recite their dialogue, perform key actions, etc. The protagonist is a stock fairytale princess, I think she’s meant to be the main character of the story-within-the-story but I don’t remember for sure. Her character arc focused a lot on her frustration about the inherently limited scope of her reality and existence. One scene I remember is that she skips or messes up her lines and the reader character becomes confused, other book characters have to improvise to cover for her mistake and they get mad at her later.

The strongest visual I remember is that the storybook characters perceive their readers as huge figures looking down on them from the sky or through the roof, with the sets and characters of the story being described like a diorama viewed from above.

Eventually the reader character becomes fully aware of the living book people and has various direct conversations with them, especially the princess.

That’s all I got, I wish I remembered more of the story beats or how the plot was resolved. I must have read it sometime in the early 2000s, based on what I remember the tone of the prose was very typical 90’s juv lit but it could have been from earlier, maybe 1980s. Anybody recognize this one?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Owl at Home posted:

A juvenile/young adult fantasy story, pretty certain it was a standalone book and not part of a larger series. Very similar in tone to some of the postmodern meta-fairytale retellings that were everywhere in the 90s-early 2000s. (Like somewhat along the lines of Ella Enchanted, Dealing with Dragons/Enchanted Forest Chronicles, Once Upon a Marigold, etc.)

The premise is that all book or story characters are really ‘alive,’ and when their stories are being read characters are acting out the story as if they are in a play. When their book is closed they live their lives as normal, but when it’s open they have to be ‘on-script’ and recite their dialogue, perform key actions, etc. The protagonist is a stock fairytale princess, I think she’s meant to be the main character of the story-within-the-story but I don’t remember for sure. Her character arc focused a lot on her frustration about the inherently limited scope of her reality and existence. One scene I remember is that she skips or messes up her lines and the reader character becomes confused, other book characters have to improvise to cover for her mistake and they get mad at her later.

The strongest visual I remember is that the storybook characters perceive their readers as huge figures looking down on them from the sky or through the roof, with the sets and characters of the story being described like a diorama viewed from above.

Eventually the reader character becomes fully aware of the living book people and has various direct conversations with them, especially the princess.

That’s all I got, I wish I remembered more of the story beats or how the plot was resolved. I must have read it sometime in the early 2000s, based on what I remember the tone of the prose was very typical 90’s juv lit but it could have been from earlier, maybe 1980s. Anybody recognize this one?

The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley?

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Owl at Home posted:

This is almost exactly the plot of Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult but with a prince in the book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Runcible Cat posted:

The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley?

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

This is almost exactly the plot of Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult but with a prince in the book

It was The Great Good Thing, thank you! Strangely I did remember that the cover was beige, but that wasn't much help when I was searching for it.