Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
That sounds like my dream day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran

Dango Bango posted:

^^^ That looks amazing.

Where do you all get your smoker wood?

Depends on location and your available storage, but if you're able to use full splits I'd keep an eye on nextdoor for people trying to get rid of the logs left over from having trees taken down. Our neighbor took down a maple a while back and now we're set for years. Learning to split the logs with an axe was also incredibly satisfying, not to mention far cheaper than buying those bags of wood at hardware stores.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I'm a 6'1" transwoman who loves splitting logs and smoking meat. You can take that however you want.

Plan for the 4th is to smoke a meat I plan on getting from the local butcher shop. Not sure what yet, probably a brisket.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

How well does the hot smoked meat freeze? I ask because my wife is vegetarian so I'm the only one that eats the products. So far I've only done a small amount at a time for that reason, but if I can be more efficient and smoke more at a time to then freeze then I'd love to have it on hand.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

How well does the hot smoked meat freeze? I ask because my wife is vegetarian so I'm the only one that eats the products. So far I've only done a small amount at a time for that reason, but if I can be more efficient and smoke more at a time to then freeze then I'd love to have it on hand.

I'd look at a vacuum sealer which will greatly increase its freezer life.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
With a vacuum sealer, smoked meat freezes very well and reheats great especially if you have something like a sous vide where you can bring the meat back up to temp slowly. I do this all the time.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah even when I'm entertaining we're not eating multiple pork shoulders. I seal 4-6 oz. in separate vacuum bags and then re-animate it with sous vide (or you could use a hot pot of water)... food needs to be re-heated to about 130 degF to not feel cold in the mouth.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Hed posted:

Yeah even when I'm entertaining we're not eating multiple pork shoulders. I seal 4-6 oz. in separate vacuum bags and then re-animate it with sous vide (or you could use a hot pot of water)... food needs to be re-heated to about 130 degF to not feel cold in the mouth.

Sous vide is a necromancers best friend

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Thanks, that is perfect. I'm already a vacuum sealing nut with a dozen chicken breasts individually frozen ready to sous vide. The brisket I did the other day was cooked sous vide then finished off in the smoker - for my first proper try I figured there was less to go wrong. And I just trust anything from Serious Eats.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

Hed posted:

re-animate it

ZombieCrew posted:

Sous vide is a necromancers best friend

:golfclap:

Reheating pulled pork at 130 and then crisping it in a pan with a little oil makes for some great carnitas-like meat for tacos, rice bowls, nachos, etc.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
So I have a traeger pellet grill for smoking things and I love it because its easy to use and I am not good at things.

However I am thinking about trying my hand at doing some lump charcoal BBQing. Is the standard Weber original charcoal grill a solid choice for a beginner who doesn't need a ton of grill space?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Kwolok posted:

So I have a traeger pellet grill for smoking things and I love it because its easy to use and I am not good at things.

However I am thinking about trying my hand at doing some lump charcoal BBQing. Is the standard Weber original charcoal grill a solid choice for a beginner who doesn't need a ton of grill space?

Yup. it's the standard charcoal grill that remains unchanged for ages because it's good and it works. Get a charcoal Chimney too or struggle forever to start your charcoal.
I'm all in with pellets (ditched my backup propane grill) but still have a small one in the garage in case I ever wanna ride the charcoal train again.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
The great thing about the kettle is that you can do just about anything on it at a small scale, allowing you to try everything before investing in specialized gear. It may not be ideal for all of those things, but it can be made to work with a bit of extra effort. And because it is so ubiquitous, mods and accessories are everywhere. I just added a rotisserie kit to mine.

Also, they're basically indestructible, so it's easy to score a deal on one from FB or Craigslist and clean it up.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Weber kettles are the S H I T. Basically, if you're going to own only 1 grill, it should be that. If you're going to own 2, it should be 2 of them. I got one at a friend's suggestion a while back and within a week my 2 propane grills were on the curb.

Anyway, I'm using mine to smoke a pork shoulder tomorrow for the first time; we'll see how that goes. Wife got me a Meater thermometer for dad's day and I'll be breaking that in as well.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

Weber kettles are the S H I T. Basically, if you're going to own only 1 grill, it should be that. If you're going to own 2, it should be 2 of them. I got one at a friend's suggestion a while back and within a week my 2 propane grills were on the curb.

Anyway, I'm using mine to smoke a pork shoulder tomorrow for the first time; we'll see how that goes. Wife got me a Meater thermometer for dad's day and I'll be breaking that in as well.

Bottom vents barely cracked and top about half. Water pan under the butt.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Appreciate that! That'll help out a lot as I usually just open all of them wide rear end open and sear steaks, burgers, wings, etc.

edit: Do you see much of a difference using beer or apple juice in the drip pan instead of water? I hear arguments both ways.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

EdsTeioh posted:

Appreciate that! That'll help out a lot as I usually just open all of them wide rear end open and sear steaks, burgers, wings, etc.

edit: Do you see much of a difference using beer or apple juice in the drip pan instead of water? I hear arguments both ways.

In my experience, you won't gain anything by changing those liquids in the pan. You're going for some extra moisture and humidity, not flavor.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

Oh yeah no the kettle is still primarily a grill so wide open will be WAY too much air for low and slow. Also, use the minion method for your charcoal/fire.

On the water pan - I've never tried anything but water. Kind of don't see the point to be honest. The water/liquid is there to act as a heat sink and keep a more humid environment. Not to impart any flavor.

e: ah just barely beaten but glad we're on the same page! :)

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Rad; thanks guys! I was gonna use the snake instead of the minion though.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah you can just try out all sorts of poo poo with Weber kettles for a relatively cheap buy-in

Snake or minion method and a foil pan with water and you basically have a wee charcoal smoker which is really only limited by increased fuel consumption/decreased capacity and cooking area compared to a dedicated one

And that's before you get into accessories like a Slow N Sear which expand its capabilities if you want to play around more

On top of that it's one of the best charcoal grills and easy to move around since it's way lighter than a horizontal barrel-style grill

As other people have said look around for a used example and it'll probably be drat near good as new unless you need to buy new grates

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

And if you do, you can - Weber has been making that same grill for forever so you can get either Weber parts or third party compatibles with no trouble whatsoever.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Also definitely worth trying to get a MasterTouch if you can find one. The shape and everything is the same, but the MT has a few little doodads that you'll probably want to get eventually anyway.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I am curious how you all feel about lump charcoal vs brickettes?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Kwolok posted:

I kinda hate lump after buying Royal Oak from Costco and most of the pieces being too small for my chimney.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Kingsford Competition all day. I don't know who I'm competing against, but I'm generally winning with it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Lump tends to burn hotter and always with way less ash than briquettes but you definitely get inconsistent sizes especially if you're buying a cheaper bag of it

Also sometimes you get a free dirty old pen or bottlecap or something in a bag of lump so like uh suck on that briquailures

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

My favorite was a piece of very sooty but otherwise completely normal piece of wood. Like a literal 1/4 split piece from a round.

My wife bought beef cheeks the other day (thinking they were small and would cook up fast). I figured I'd put them on the pellet grill for a few hours to cook them up. After one hour I realize my grill has shut down due to a stuck auger.

So I fired up offset and did a sorta hot and fast (ie didn't fuss much about temp swings) and these things came out mint.

sinburger fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 30, 2023

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Flagrant double post to ask a question. Anyone ever make pulled pork from a coppa cut?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Kwolok posted:

I use both. Lump for searing, briquettes for low and slow or super casual hot dogs/burgs type grilling. Partly because they're more consistent, but mostly because they're cheaper. Academy sells a big bag of B&B briquettes for $10 and you can't beat that with a stick.

e: but if you're just getting started or don't want to be extra like me, get some good quality briquettes and call it a day

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 1, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What’s the good / best price for pellets?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve tried a bunch of different brands and have settled on Costco.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I've been using the bear mtn from Lowes.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

MarcusSA posted:

I really like Lumberjack if you have a Rural King somewhere near by.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
When browsing Craigslist for baby's first Weber charcoal grill, is there anything I should look for when choosing?

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

That Old Ganon posted:

When browsing Craigslist for baby's first Weber charcoal grill, is there anything I should look for when choosing?

They really are basically indestructible. Check for any serious rust in the kettle body, and then around the top and bottom vents (they may just need to be oiled, but they should turn fairly easily). Make sure the body and lid didn't get bent, so they fit well together and it isn't hard to get the lid on or off.

My friend has one where the bottom sweeper for the vents is bent up slightly so it doesn't get at the ash all the way to the wall. It'd irritate the poo poo out of me, but he doesn't care (and it doesn't affect cooking).

Grates are easy and cheap to come by, if they're not in very good shape.

Really, it'd be pretty hard to break one. They're iconic for a reason.

e: I'm already looking forward to getting a bigger one - my family went from 1 son to 3, so the one that I have already isn't big enough and they're barely older than toddlers. Have to wait until next summer when I move, though. Don't need a 37" Ranch Kettle just yet (maybe when they're teens), but for a charcoal grill I don't think I'd ever getting anything but a Weber.

ABen fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 2, 2023

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

Double post, but I'm planning on a cookout for my university chair for next weekend.

I have 18ish people who want pulled pork (I'm thinking 2x skin on pork shoulder), 3 people who want chicken (can be added later, nearer to the firebox) and then 4 vegans/vegetarians.

I asked, and people were ok with sharing a smoker with meat, but I was thinking I'd drag out the Weber and just keep the veggie stuff completely separate with its own tools so I don't have to worry too much about it. I was thinking smoked cauliflower (https://makeitdairyfree.com/vegan-smoked-whole-roasted-cauliflower/) and I also have some seitan sitting around that I can make some skewers out of and marinate the hell out of it so that it actually tastes like something.

This may be the wrong thread, but does anyone have any other veggie/vegan go-tos for grilling and/or smoking?

For the first time, I'm regretting only having the 2-channel Thermoworks thermometer instead of the 4...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'm trying something new, got this hunk of pork cheaply, I decided to dry brine it with a nitrate salt mix. It's not pork belly but somewhere near the back I think. I think it might be called Sirloin in english, though we don't butcher the meat in the same way as in america. Anyway curing the meat, not sure if I will cold or hot smoke it later. Cold smoking would probably give me something akin to bacon, though a lot cheaper than store bought for once. Last time I made bacon it ended up costing more than storebought which to me kinda killed my interest in doing more.

Weird that whole pork belly can be an expensive cut of meat (15 euros / kg at local butchers, can't find it in super markets), but pre-sliced uncured pork belly is cheap and found in every market. Of course this meat here was 5€/kg on sale, hard to beat!

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

ABen posted:

My friend has one where the bottom sweeper for the vents is bent up slightly so it doesn't get at the ash all the way to the wall. It'd irritate the poo poo out of me, but he doesn't care (and it doesn't affect cooking).

This is happening on my Performer but only one of the sweeper arms somehow. It's annoying and I want to replace it someday. I work around it by pressing down while turning but poo poo still gets underneath it. Hasn't caused any problems though it is indeed irritating and I don't know exactly how it ever happened.

Anyone here have a Pit Boss Pro Series 1150? I'm thinking about picking one up this week for a big gathering next weekend. It would be my first pellet grill.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I don't have that spesific one. I have the Austin xl and it's been a good grill and smoker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Re: Weber
They're very simple grills, just a well shaped metal egg with vents. The only way to hurt them is rust and hammer. The only moving parts are the vents and the lid so it's pretty hard to render it inoperable.