Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Are weirdly long boot times still an issue on AM5? Found a good deal on an open box 7800X3D and wondering what to expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ijyt posted:

Are weirdly long boot times still an issue on AM5? Found a good deal on an open box 7800X3D and wondering what to expect.
Only first boot or when you clear the CMOS/change the RAM since the mobo has to train the timings. I believe its a DDR5 thing, Intel boards also have the issue.

Normal boot is quick as usual.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

ijyt posted:

Afaik every cold boot unless you enable memory context restore. Once that's on and you don't screw with timings or reset the bios, smooth sailing

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

ijyt posted:

hwub didn't even address it in their most recent mobo benchmark video, so it doesn't seem to be a point of concern anymore somehow

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
My Intel machine definitely boots quicker but I haven't enabled memory context restore with my 7800x3d because I heard it could potentially lead to memory instability. Could be nothing though, I haven't owned AMD machines in like 20 years before this.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

From pressing the power button to being at the Windows desktop with everything initialized takes 15 seconds on my Asrock X670E PG Lightning.
Windows reports "BIOS Time: 8.43 seconds" if I check the startup tab in Task Manager - despite the fact that it isn't a BIOS, and I have no idea how it's calculating that.

However it's not like it's very meaningful, because the only time it affects me is when Windows needs to reboot for an update, as the machine stays on at all other times.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Thanks for the replies! Sometimes hard to sift through what's dated info and what's valid.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Is the gigabyte b650 aorus elite ever going to get a non-alpha 10.0.0.7 agesa bios??? Feels like it's been forever

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

whalestory posted:

Is the gigabyte b650 aorus elite ever going to get a non-alpha 10.0.0.7 agesa bios??? Feels like it's been forever

they have been really slow with sending out updates for the b650 series.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

AGESA ComboAM5 1.0.0.9 was supposed to be out in May, I think.

No idea what the gently caress happened.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

AGESA ComboAM5 1.0.0.9 was supposed to be out in May, I think.

No idea what the gently caress happened.

didn't we already know there's only one guy from each company working on the BIOSes from the overvoltage saga

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

ijyt posted:

Anytime you change the RAM settings, or on 1st boot, it will train and take a while.

Once its trained if you leave on MemoryContextRestore, or whatever its called, its decent.

Shipon posted:

I haven't enabled memory context restore with my 7800x3d because I heard it could potentially lead to memory instability.

If you want the highest possible memory overclock and don't care about boot times or stability much then this make sense.

If you're just trying to run EXPO/XMP at DDR5 5600/6000 with OEM timings then it doesn't matter and you should turn it on.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Palladium posted:

didn't we already know there's only one guy from each company working on the BIOSes from the overvoltage saga
AGESA is AMDs own thing, the motherboard vendors just get it as a binary blob.

It started out life as something that was intended to have at least an approximation of opensource support, but then AMD just sort of quietly stopped doing it.
This, of course, speaks well of AMDs new opensource firmware project.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X3D

July 7th

$230

Microcenter exclusive (I think not just launch, but not sure)

https://www.microcenter.com/product/667765/amd-ryzen-5-5600x3d-vermeer-am4-33ghz-6-core-boxed-processor-heatsink-not-included

E:GN video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FTjRfkEFk4

"5800X3D defects"

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 30, 2023

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Hey AMD, 🖕

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

microcenter exclusive in the US, or microcenter exclusive worldwide?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

repiv posted:

microcenter exclusive in the US, or microcenter exclusive worldwide?

Well Microcenter doesn't exist outside the US so hopefully not worldwide.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Any deal from Microcenter is generally assumed to be in-store only.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It sounds like it's only Microcenter. They're even responsible for the PR/media outreach according to Steve.

This will be a really limited run, because AMD just doesn't have many, and they're not actively making them
(again they're 5800X3D defects). MC said they expect to run out of their supply in 3-6 months.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Well that sucks, feels super weird to do a single region product launch in this day and age.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

njsykora posted:

Well Microcenter doesn't exist outside the US so hopefully not worldwide.

that's what i meant, is this such a limited run that they're only bothering to release it in the US

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

lmao

According to the GN video, AMD only has enough inventory for 1 vendor in 1 country so no one else is getting this

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

njsykora posted:

Well that sucks, feels super weird to do a single region product launch in this day and age.

I'm just glad that AMD is selling these rather than throwing them in the garbage. I love weirdo runt products from the clippings.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

I assume they do a quick QA run on the chips before grinding them down to fit the 3D cache, makes sense their wouldn't be that many defective units to do a full launch.

e: also MC doesn't have that many stores, only 25ish country wide and even some of those server the same metro like the Atlanta stores. Awesome store to visit though if you are ever close to one.

lamentable dustman fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 30, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

njsykora posted:

they're not actually making anything

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I run a 5600x with tight timing b-die and -25 offsets on all cores. Its paired with a 3080 10gb. Its stable and fast. Someone check me: at 1440 and 2160, Im likely GPU limited, not CPU limited, right? Said differently, a 5600x3d wouldnt bring much to the table with my current GPU, right?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bobfather posted:

I run a 5600x with tight timing b-die and -25 offsets on all cores. Its paired with a 3080 10gb. Its stable and fast. Someone check me: at 1440 and 2160, Im likely GPU limited, not CPU limited, right? Said differently, a 5600x3d wouldnt bring much to the table with my current GPU, right?

This is heavily dependent on the specific games youre playing.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

lamentable dustman posted:

I assume they do a quick QA run on the chips before grinding them down to fit the 3D cache, makes sense their wouldn't be that many defective units to do a full launch.

e: also MC doesn't have that many stores, only 25ish country wide and even some of those server the same metro like the Atlanta stores. Awesome store to visit though if you are ever close to one.

Yeah they might only have a couple hundred of these, ever.

I probably wouldn't upgrade a 5600X to one but if you still have a 3600 or a Zen 1 in a motherboard that will take it, maybe not a bad idea.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Well I guess that makes it easy to start pricing out a 5800x3d then

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Im still salty that they wont expand to Phoenix. It made sense that they wouldnt when there were two Frys stores here, but now there isnt really any competition.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

bobfather posted:

I run a 5600x with tight timing b-die and -25 offsets on all cores. It’s paired with a 3080 10gb. It’s stable and fast. Someone check me: at 1440 and 2160, I’m likely GPU limited, not CPU limited, right? Said differently, a 5600x3d wouldn’t bring much to the table with my current GPU, right?

If you are playing counterstrike, a faster cpu may yield more FPS, though consider your current frame rate and your monitor's refresh rate. More may be pointless.

For a contemporary aaa game, probably no, it won't do much in terms of framerate. However, games are using more threads and more cycles for AI and such; as stated above, it depends on the game. In my opinion, you should only upgrade to the 5800x3D if the urge hits you. Another AM4 six core doesn't seem worth it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Yudo posted:

If you are playing counterstrike, a faster cpu may yield more FPS, though consider your current frame rate and your monitor's refresh rate. More may be pointless.

For a contemporary aaa game, probably no, it won't do much in terms of framerate. However, games are using more threads and more cycles for AI and such; as stated above, it depends on the game. In my opinion, you should only upgrade to the 5800x3D if the urge hits you. Another AM4 six core doesn't seem worth it.

Thanks, yeah. I dont do high-refresh 1080 gaming, nor play 4x games. Most aaa games are optimized well enough, in my experience.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Yeah this is probably just the chips that had flaws during assembly of the 3d package, or had a flaw too subtle to detect during post-fab testing. Every potential 5800X3D starts with a good 8-core die.

Makes sense that they'd not have a lot of them. And it won't happen in the future, since the 7900X3D can use these dies.

FuturePastNow posted:

Yeah they might only have a couple hundred of these, ever.

I'm sure more than a couple hundred -- that wouldn't be worth the time to package up and ship. And in the GN video there's an update that Microcenter expects supply to last 3-6 months. I'd guess somewhere in the 5-10 thousand zone.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

lol nice

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ijyt posted:

lol nice

That feels alarmingly close to the kind of thing that accidentally starts WWIII in a Clancy novel.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

hobbesmaster posted:

That feels alarmingly close to the kind of thing that accidentally starts WWIII in a Clancy novel.

There are some fish that are too big to gently caress with. When it becomes a geopolitical hot-potato you unlock it and do your best to disappear into the woodwork and hope nobody's too mad. Like colonial pipeline, the russian group apologized and announced they'd had a sudden desire to improve their manners, were unlocking everything they'd ever done, and would disband as a group.

Some wild swing in gas prices during COVID economic disruption year 2 was exactly the opposite of what anybody needed, and there's also nobody on the planet who's not affected by TSMC disruption let alone the possibility of losing a month of production or w/e.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If the entire group is in Russia, maybe that doesnt happen.

In any other country

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

ijyt posted:

lol nice

He's hosed.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The actual detail is that TSMC itself didn't get hacked, only one of their suppliers. It's probably not that big a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
lmao gently caress AMD