Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

There were some. I know a few, none became millionaires but a couple bought houses.

They’re just vastly out numbered by people who lost their shirts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The vast majority of people who gambled on bitcoin enough to become bitcoin millionaires continued to gamble until they were no longer millionaires.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

nomad2020 posted:

Growing corn and soybeans seems pretty chill for 8 months of the year. Some of your tractors are worth more than your house, but the farming bit is alright.

It’s amazing how different farming is today vs. like 50 years ago. Lots and lots of places doing monoculture farming, and not much livestock, or doing all livestock and buying the feed. My dad grew up on a farm in the 50s and 60s. They had 80 acres (very small as farms go) but they did three different crops, pigs, and cows. My dad and uncle went to college off that.

Now my dad and uncle lease it out and someone just grows a bunch of corn or soy on it and that’s it, no livestock at all. I know several people who have full-time jobs and own a farm because all they do is monoculture that requires being busy for two months a year and that’s it, or you just pay someone to do all the work for you.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
The only person I’m aware of that made money on Bitcoin is Jeffrey, and even then I’m not quite sure if that’s just a forums joke or not.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A coworker of mine retired early with (on paper) multi millions. He was bitching that the tax office declared it was all "income" and couldn't be marked as capital gains (which would have a lower tax rate). Everyone else he convinced to get into it broke even at best, lol.

No idea how he's doing now.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A former coworker paid for a house and a car in the Mt. Gox era but he's the only person I know personally who I think could have come out ahead and not gotten greedy.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

we all mined a lot of LOLs from it

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Bitcoin Withdrawal Mistakes:

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

we all mined a lot of LOLs from it

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Kevin DuBrow posted:

The initial hearing on Zoom was so overloaded with spectators that they had to ask people to leave because the prosecutor couldn't join. It's just too delicious a story.

I was there, and people only began to leave when the judge said (many, many times) that the case was going to be continued due to some discovery issue. Every time he said that, like 30-40 people would leave, then the session would fill right back up again. The judge was kind of amused and totally knew what was going on.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I know several people who are legit bitcoin millionaires, and at least one guy who is probably a billionaire. I don’t know his actual net worth, but he was rich when bitcoin reached $100. He was also one of the first few dozen or so people to ever mine bitcoin and definitely knows Satoshi’s real identity. Though he won’t tell anyone (except to say that it’s definitely not Craig Wright).

That said, my sample is a major outlier since my social circles greatly overlapped with a bunch of libertarian cypherpunks throughout the 90s and 00s.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

It’s amazing how different farming is today vs. like 50 years ago. Lots and lots of places doing monoculture farming, and not much livestock, or doing all livestock and buying the feed. My dad grew up on a farm in the 50s and 60s. They had 80 acres (very small as farms go) but they did three different crops, pigs, and cows. My dad and uncle went to college off that.

Now my dad and uncle lease it out and someone just grows a bunch of corn or soy on it and that’s it, no livestock at all. I know several people who have full-time jobs and own a farm because all they do is monoculture that requires being busy for two months a year and that’s it, or you just pay someone to do all the work for you.

I honestly can't see how anyone can be a cattle rancher now without being able to graze on public lands, and anything resembling a family run dairy operation has been on life support for longer than I've been drinking milk.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
As a kiwi from a farming background, there's a reason that right wing brainworms are super common among farmers. It's a mentally destroying job that leaves you with basically no life outside the farm and breaks your body down.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

nomad2020 posted:

I honestly can't see how anyone can be a cattle rancher now without being able to graze on public lands, and anything resembling a family run dairy operation has been on life support for longer than I've been drinking milk.

You can absolutely graze on public lands, you just need to pay $16.20 per head of cattle per year.

Or you can stiff the government for $1M in back fees for 20 years of bootleg grazing, stage and armed takeover of a nature preserve, and get away with few consequences.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

canyoneer posted:

You can absolutely graze on public lands, you just need to pay $16.20 per head of cattle per year.

Or you can stiff the government for $1M in back fees for 20 years of bootleg grazing, stage and armed takeover of a nature preserve, and get away with few consequences.

As an Oregonian I was really disappointed that people generally focused on the fact that it happened in our state rather than most of the guys being from out of state. Also I was disappointed that the feds didn’t roll in there hot and smoke everyone. And then finally that the US Atty hosed up the case and the jury selection.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

LanceHunter posted:

I know several people who are legit bitcoin millionaires, and at least one guy who is probably a billionaire. I don’t know his actual net worth, but he was rich when bitcoin reached $100. He was also one of the first few dozen or so people to ever mine bitcoin and definitely knows Satoshi’s real identity. Though he won’t tell anyone (except to say that it’s definitely not Craig Wright).

That said, my sample is a major outlier since my social circles greatly overlapped with a bunch of libertarian cypherpunks throughout the 90s and 00s.

As in people who have actually turned their bitcoin into billions of fiat currency or as in people whose bitcoins are worth theoretical billions of fiat currency? Because I'm going to call bullshit on there even being billions of actual liquidity to extract from the bitcoin ecosystem or that any exchange wouldn't find some way to shut you down for KYC/AML or other reasons before you even got a fraction of that out. Hell, even a million sounds extremely suspect.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
The biggest issue with "getting into Bitcoin early" is that it was incredibly easy to lose everything early on (and now, lol, but moreso then). Every early exchange folded for one reason or another (malice or stupidity) and pretty much every early web based wallet disappeared (hacked or "hacked") as well. This leaves "self custody" as the only "real" option, and that leads to you throwing away a hard drive and spending the rest of your life trying to convince the government to let you dig up a garbage dump with robotic AI dogs (this is not a joke).

In addition to all of this, you're an idiot if you didn't sell for any amount of return on your investment. If you didn't sell when it went up 10%, or 50%, or 100%, or 200%, you're probably trapped for idealistic reasons and there's no point you'd ever sell, so now you've got $100 million "worth" of ugly ape NFTs and you spend all day begging Elon Musk to tweet about some niche token you're about to by rugpulled on, again.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

canyoneer posted:

Robert LaVoy Finicum definitely felt the consequences.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

As in people who have actually turned their bitcoin into billions of fiat currency or as in people whose bitcoins are worth theoretical billions of fiat currency? Because I'm going to call bullshit on there even being billions of actual liquidity to extract from the bitcoin ecosystem or that any exchange wouldn't find some way to shut you down for KYC/AML or other reasons before you even got a fraction of that out. Hell, even a million sounds extremely suspect.

I worked for a crypto aggregator (exchange) for a bit before I pretty much left crypto. There was easily 2-5 billion of liquidity on demand when I last saw (measured term is yards, thus 2-5 yards), ... about 2 years ago? I have no idea what's left at this point as I've seen capital flights from crypto entirely since then.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
A former colleague bought a boat with his Bitcoin profits. He then bought a marina as a way to reduce his boat related expenses.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

nomad2020 posted:

The family run dairy ops that I grew up around either shut down or made big changes to survive.

1) sell the development rights to the land to the land trust
2) open a little farm stand to sell value add poo poo to tourists and like baked goods and whatnot
3) grow more ancillary high dollar products like vegetables, fruit, and maple sugar that you can sell at that stand
4) have someone on the farm have a real job off the farm that pays decent

If you didn’t or can’t do those four things, you’re out of business

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Nocheez posted:

Robert LaVoy Finicum definitely felt the consequences.

He basically commuted suicide with how he handled the car crash and stand off.

Imagine being the only chud stupid enough to get shot.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The vast majority of people who gambled on bitcoin enough to become bitcoin millionaires continued to gamble until they were no longer millionaires.

Same syndrome as "successful" day traders or forex idiots. They get good at it (or in the overwhelming majority of cases get lucky once or twice) and can't stop. It's just a more socially acceptable gambling addiction.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The family run dairy ops that I grew up around either shut down or made big changes to survive.

1) sell the development rights to the land to the land trust
2) open a little farm stand to sell value add poo poo to tourists and like baked goods and whatnot
3) grow more ancillary high dollar products like vegetables, fruit, and maple sugar that you can sell at that stand
4) have someone on the farm have a real job off the farm that pays decent

If you didn’t or can’t do those four things, you’re out of business

We have one nearby that used to do 2 + 3 before Halloween selling pick your own pumpkins at inflated prices and some other cutesy garbage while having a corn maze and some other goofy stuff around to keep people there. That still wasn't enough so they sold off 3/4 of the land (100% sealing their long term fate for a temporary reprisal) and turned the rest into a low budget amusement park with a ropes course and a bunch of other terribly ugly and sketchy looking "activities". It's a real shame, and an undignified way to delay the inevitable.

edit: As to selling off the land and #1, I don't know how it works elsewhere but around here you can "unpreserve" land by simply paying the back taxes that would have been due if it wasn't preserved/in the land trust. And I'm sure that's exactly what some developer will do with what they bought.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Most farmers I know sold their dev rights to these guys: https://vlt.org

Not sure about reversibility but their goal is to preserve land for public use and farming.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

canyoneer posted:

Like 3/4 of them were convicted of felonies and went to prison for a year or more; how many consequences do you want them to face for trespassing in a government building without hurting anyone?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Cerekk posted:

trespassing in a government building without hurting anyone?

:thunk:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Most farmers I know sold their dev rights to these guys: https://vlt.org

Not sure about reversibility but their goal is to preserve land for public use and farming.

Yeah, that looks like a nice program. The one I'm talking about is specifically a county-level program here which I believe is funded by the state.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Cerekk posted:

Like 3/4 of them were convicted of felonies and went to prison for a year or more; how many consequences do you want them to face for trespassing in a government building without hurting anyone?

I'm kinda afraid to ask, but which incident are you talking about here?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Motronic posted:

Yeah, that looks like a nice program. The one I'm talking about is specifically a county-level program here which I believe is funded by the state.

The most common way I'm aware of is to sell a conservation easement to a nonprofit land trust or conservancy, basically placing a warlock's blood curse upon the land. In order to qualify for the accompanying tax benefits that make it attractive, the easement has to be perpetual. That does scare away folks who still want to sell at some point in the future, and in that case I'd guess a targeted, revocable program like the one you mentioned would be more attractive.

Baddog posted:

I'm kinda afraid to ask, but which incident are you talking about here?

That would be the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge occupation in 2016.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Quorum posted:

That would be the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge occupation in 2016.

The Bundy standoff with federal agents resulted in all charges dropped.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

lifg posted:

Posted in the stoicism Reddit, and the guy’s responding well to advice, but you know from the title what it’s about.

I lost about $4.4MM due to something out of my control, and I’m struggling with coping

quote:

I can’t stop overthinking, I’m severely depressed, and overall just lost , I can’t make myself work a slaving 9-5 just to make ends meet, even if it would make my current life easier.
One of those hopeless romantics. Over here at my workplace, we have a few of those, too, that entered the crypto market late and are hoping for their grand exit. Their job performance is accordingly atrocious, because they think they'll be able to quit very soon.

Like what the gently caress.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
drat, you're right, I'd misremembered and thought only one or two got blatantly jury nullificationed. God, that whole saga was basically the season preview reel for the next several years.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Quorum posted:

drat, you're right, I'd misremembered and thought only one or two got blatantly jury nullificationed. God, that whole saga was basically the season preview reel for the next several years.

I thought there were several assaults, plenty of destruction of property, fleeing arrest, etc etc.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

There were 28 people involved, 1 had dropped charges, 7 were acquitted, 1 was shot and killed, 17 were sentenced. I can't find what happened to the last few.

Bundy was one of the acquitted and only 9 of them were sentenced to prison. The rest were a combination of house arrest, probations, and fines.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

quote:

By August 2017, a dozen had pleaded guilty, and six of those had been sentenced to 1–2 years' probation, some including house arrest. Seven others, including Ammon and Ryan Bundy, were tried and acquitted of all federal charges. Five more had been found guilty and were sentenced months later. Seven of the militants saw prison time for their roles in the occupation. Jake Ryan and Duane Ehmer each received 366 days in prison, with Ryan additionally getting three years of supervised probation. Darryl Thorn received 18 months of prison time on November 21, 2017. Jason Patrick received 21 months on February 15, 2018. Ryan Payne was sentenced to 37 months in federal prison along with three years of supervision on February 27, 2018. Jon Ritzheimer was sentenced to 366 days in federal prison and another 12 months in a residential re-entry program. Corey Lequieu was sentenced to 30 months in prison and three years of supervision. Two others, Joe O'Shaughnessy and Brian Cavalier, were detained for at least a year, but released on time served plus three years of supervision each, plus fines.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cerekk posted:

Seven others, including Ammon and Ryan Bundy, were tried and acquitted of all federal charges.

So the guys who originally stiffed the feds over the $1m+ of grazing fees never saw any consequences. Which was the original point, paying BLM fees for grazing is effectively optional. At least if you get the right wing media involved.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

carrionman posted:

As a kiwi from a farming background,

That is some unfortunate phrasing.

But yeah, farmers are often crazy people. As said above at best you get a terrible combination of isolation and small town drama, at worst, Deliverance is a documentary. And a lot of them are the definition of small business tyrants who think they're literally the most important people in the world, and are encouraged to do so.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

For an armed insurrection, that's pretty light.

I remember when Bundy and supporters had an armed standoff on a highway with BLM officers. Literally pointing rifles at LEOs, and no consequences.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
ahahahhaha. This is truly napalm on a pile of money.

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1675189559099895808?t=siwTeLfL12RPzi-BWHNbWw&s=19

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I can’t imagine much worse corporate-scale BWM than limiting views on your ad-revenue oriented service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Surprised it's not 6900 and 420 per day.