Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

MisterOblivious posted:

My guess is that you bought water packed tuna out of habit. Oil packed tuna needs very little mayo in comparison. I've only buy oil packed tuna ever since sardines taught me how much better oil is.

It was not out of habit, I hadn't bought tuna in like a decade. Water packed was what the coupon was for. Canned is still the worst way to eat tuna, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Eating something just because there was a coupon is actually the worst way to eat something. The grocery store people are in your head man!

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Canned tuna is borning and I've never really liked any of the flavored ones there are around these days when I've tried them.

That said, tuna salad? mayo celery dill pickle, maybe some mustard n pepper n scallion? Extra bit of fresh dill, perhaps capers or olives? Hecc yeah.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Today's sardines. Pretty good but nothing exceptional. I enjoyed the paper wrap on the tin

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Oil packed tuna tastes better by itself, but the cats can't lick the can, so it's actually worse. A world of contrasts.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

drat, that wrapper is top tier packaging.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

distortion park posted:

Today's sardines. Pretty good but nothing exceptional. I enjoyed the paper wrap on the tin

:haibrow: The packaging on 'dines is part of the appeal

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

My Costco had the Wild Planet six packs on sale for like $6.50. Good deal for bigger dines

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

NmareBfly posted:

Canned tuna is borning and I've never really liked any of the flavored ones there are around these days when I've tried them.

That said, tuna salad? mayo celery dill pickle, maybe some mustard n pepper n scallion? Extra bit of fresh dill, perhaps capers or olives? Hecc yeah.

I like to sub avocado for mayo and mix in a bunch of cilantro, jalapeños, cumin, chili powder and some shredded cheese and make quesadillas with it.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Quite A Tool posted:

I like to sub avocado for mayo and mix in a bunch of cilantro, jalapeños, cumin, chili powder and some shredded cheese and make quesadillas with it.

This sounds really good

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Has some J-basket Sabi Kabayaki Sweet and firm with a slight miso taste, truly excellent (and only two goddamn dollars). Gonna buy more Japanese tins I think.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Made a breakfast sandwich with smoked sardines on a homemade bun. The smoky ones are so good for this

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
I feel like Polar and Riga Gold go all out with the smoke, they really scratch the smokey itch.

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug

A good price, and proper fishes with bones in :getin:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I'm so glad Costco started carrying real sardines in my location

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Okay I thought this was a good video but uh where do I buy these sardines?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpTwHAt0Zxw

Really interesting about a cannery in Portugal.

Apparently the name is Pinhaus? Anyone ever eaten these sardines?

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 1, 2023

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Hollismason posted:

Okay I thought this was a good video but uh where do I buy these sardines?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpTwHAt0Zxw

Really interesting about a cannery in Portugal.

Apparently the name is Pinhaus? Anyone ever eaten these sardines?

They're Pinhais, and you're more likely to find them as Nuri here in the States (same fish, same cans, different label). I've found them to be a staple in Asian grocery stores.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.
Been living in my Mom's village in Portugal the past three months and saw this thread a month back. You all convinced me to give it a shot and I definitely have become a sardines convert. Been only eating the cheaper cans around here, but they seem pretty great. I am very curious how it will compare when I get back into the states, as there is a big dines culture around here.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I don't think there's anywhere else in the world with a real "dine culture" like Portugal. Much of the US's best available sardines are Portuguese imports

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.
That is the odd thing, I somehow completely missed that this was a thing other than seeing gift shops loaded with cans everywhere. I grew up eating fresh fried sardines when I visited and always assumed the cans were the same with the sharp as hell bones. I did have some of the style from my childhood and god do I still love them.

Also San Joao was recently and the tradition is to eat sardines with bread, but much larger (I definitely prefer the small crispy ones).

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Cassius Belli posted:

They're Pinhais, and you're more likely to find them as Nuri here in the States (same fish, same cans, different label). I've found them to be a staple in Asian grocery stores.

Fun fact: those Asian grocery stores sell them cheaper than non-Asian wholesalers pay per can. The brand went "upmarket" when they started marketing to white people at World Market and elsewhere. God, I wish I could find good sardines at the local Asian grocers. Titus is the best I've managed to find.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Can confirm that Asian grocery stores sell those Nuri sardines for usually <$5.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
I've seen Pinhais/Nuris at local Italian markets, but yeah they charge. The Asian markets around me mostly sell brands like 555, Ligo or Titus. Solid brands for the price, but not premium.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
A canned fish adjacent story. I was home alone with the dogs this week and found a can of vienna sausages in the pantry. Sliced them up on some ritz crackers and chilled on the porch with my boys and we were all the happier for it.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Vienna sausages are one of those things I never want until I just happen to see them in the pantry one day and go "Yeah, that sounds nice."

How they end up in my pantry in the first place I'll never know.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I don't have any Vienna sausages in my pantry.

I should rectify that.

Is there any fancied-up version of Vienna sausages like there are for sardines?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

The gas station i used to work at stocked jalapeno Viennas and hot sauce Viennas so I'm pretty sure they still exist. No idea what other varieties could be had.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Android Apocalypse posted:

Is there any fancied-up version of Vienna sausages like there are for sardines?
There are plenty of canned or bottled German sausages, but I don’t think fancy could be used to describe them. I’ve tried a couple, and, well, the best thing about Vienna sausages is that they come in a small can, so you’re done before the novelty wears off.

There is however canned pate which is a whole other ball game, and can be great; canned pork pâté is, I’ve been told, a key ingredient in a real banh mi.

Upthread I mentioned my purchase of a can of cod liver - I went all out and made a pate of that and smoked oysters, result was actually terrible, inedible. Next time I’m near that polish market I’ll try again and just have them on a matzah or something.

Remulak fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 2, 2023

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I guess pate kinda counts towards canned meats. I was thinking more meats pre-formed into sausages.

Remulak posted:

There are plenty of canned or bottled German sausages, but I don’t think fancy could be used to describe them. I’ve tried a couple, and, well, the best thing about Vienna sausages is that they come in a small can, so you’re done before the novelty wears off.

There is however canned pate which is a whole other ball game, and can be great; canned pork pâté is, I’ve been told, a key ingredient in a real banh mi.

Upthread I mentioned my purchase of a can of cod liver - I went all out and made a pate of that and smoked oysters, result was actually terrible, inedible. Next time I’m near that polish market I’ll try again and just have them on a matzah or some

Sorry your cod liver & smoked oyster experience didn't go well. I do enjoy eating them by themselves and maybe that's the way to go with those items.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
Every couple months I'll pick up some chicken livers from the farm I get my eggs from, and make chicken liver paté. It's delicious, but my family is grossed out by it. Paté is good.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

What are the best dines easily available in the major UK supermarkets

And failing that, where should I be buying specialty dines online

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

A CRAB IRL posted:

I've definitely seen Ortiz ones in the UK.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

A CRAB IRL posted:

https://rainbowtomatoesgarden.com/ is a thread favorite for ordering gourmet dines

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I had some cod liver and I gotta say, I didn't like it

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

isaboo posted:

https://rainbowtomatoesgarden.com/ is a thread favorite for ordering gourmet dines

https://rainbowtomatoesgarden.com/index.php/product/all-the-jose-gourmet/

thats a lotta money for 'dines, but having all the artwork would be supremely cool

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

PokeJoe posted:

I had some cod liver and I gotta say, I didn't like it

you're supposed to boof it

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Ethnic grocery stores are the best places, Eastern European, SE Asian, African, wherever you go canned little fishies are an affordable transportable protein source. I got lucky; there’s a a new branch of an ‘international market’ that opened not far, it’s in a huge old Target and it’s got aisles with different countries, leading the things being all over the place.
Two of the more photogenic shelves:

My turn for questions, first, is this worth it?

Second, what is this?

Edit: Yeah it’s https://justasianfood.com/collections/filipino/products/marka-hipon-salted-fish-sauce-padas-12oz but how is it used?

Remulak fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 10, 2023

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Cleaning out my pantry and found my 2 remaining tins of KOs I won in a haiku contest several years back

“vintage” sardines in a fancy box packed in 2017. I doubt they’re still good but I’ll find out

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cat Hassler posted:

Cleaning out my pantry and found my 2 remaining tins of KOs I won in a haiku contest several years back

“vintage” sardines in a fancy box packed in 2017. I doubt they’re still good but I’ll find out

I just ate some of those, they are fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Don’t they peak at like 3-4 years?