Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I feel like the Pixel Fold is probably worth it at half the price. It's got way too much of a first gen mark up right now to be a good purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I feel like the Pixel Fold is probably worth it at half the price. It's got way too much of a first gen mark up right now to be a good purchase.

Yeah, a candy bar fold for almost the same price as a Pixel 7 Pro? Are you high?

If this is a first gen price, what's Samsung's excuse for changing the same amount at the fourth and likely 5th gen? If $900 is the "fair" price, you can't tell me they are making a $900 better phone than the Pixel Fold.

The first gen Galaxy Fold was nearly $2400 after adjusting for inflation.

As for the reddit app, I can't help but think how lovely it would look full screen. Like, what would a large screen layout for something like that even be? Even on iPadOS in landscape, it looks exactly like the Pixel Fold does. Turn the Fold 90 degrees, and it looks pretty similar to what it does on the iPad.

You force it stretch on the Fold 4 and it's dogshit. It's way too wide of a layout. But the problem there is it's a little too cramped split screen while it's just about right split screen on the Pixel Fold.

People bang on about large screen formatting but a lot of the time, but there aren't a ton of things out there that actually need or could use that much canvas. That's why I always get riled up at the iPad vs Android Tablet argument. I have an iPad, unless you are using a few very specific content creation apps, it's all mostly the same. Social media apps are all the same, browsers are the same, multitasking is better on Android though and that's where the strength of a large screen device is.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I switched from the Fold 4 to the S23+ after using the former for half a year. Once I got past the novelty factor, I ended up using the front screen mostly. The inner screen isn't big enough to compensate for the trade offs - namely the additional weight and bulk

Maybe folding tablets and laptops might make more sense :shrug:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I do appreciate that my laptop folds :hai:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm not ever going back to non-foldable. Multitasking is great, writing scripts with a Bluetooth keyboard means you don't need to carry a laptop, reading manga and the awful app is so much more pleasant, and of course youtube and games are better too.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm not ever going back to non-foldable. Multitasking is great, writing scripts with a Bluetooth keyboard means you don't need to carry a laptop, reading manga and the awful app is so much more pleasant, and of course youtube and games are better too.

I was just about to say something similar. This is my new standard for now until screens can be stretched like a scroll or something.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yep all 2023 foldables are way too expensive and have too many flaws/compromises for a fragile item that costs thousands of dollars

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It seems like a flip phone would be perfect for me, but there isn't one currently on the market I would feel comfortable making the outlay of cash on versus the $600 or whatever I spent on my Pixel 6. I'm hoping Google makes one in the next year or two, although the cost/benefit is probably still going to be hard to justify for me.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, a candy bar fold for almost the same price as a Pixel 7 Pro? Are you high?

If this is a first gen price, what's Samsung's excuse for changing the same amount at the fourth and likely 5th gen? If $900 is the "fair" price, you can't tell me they are making a $900 better phone than the Pixel Fold.

The first gen Galaxy Fold was nearly $2400 after adjusting for inflation.

As for the reddit app, I can't help but think how lovely it would look full screen. Like, what would a large screen layout for something like that even be? Even on iPadOS in landscape, it looks exactly like the Pixel Fold does. Turn the Fold 90 degrees, and it looks pretty similar to what it does on the iPad.

You force it stretch on the Fold 4 and it's dogshit. It's way too wide of a layout. But the problem there is it's a little too cramped split screen while it's just about right split screen on the Pixel Fold.

People bang on about large screen formatting but a lot of the time, but there aren't a ton of things out there that actually need or could use that much canvas. That's why I always get riled up at the iPad vs Android Tablet argument. I have an iPad, unless you are using a few very specific content creation apps, it's all mostly the same. Social media apps are all the same, browsers are the same, multitasking is better on Android though and that's where the strength of a large screen device is.

I think those specific apps are more common than you think. For example my iPad is mostly used as a golf simulator as the app that supports my Garmin R10 is only on the iPad. So it gets that use plus whatever media consumption I'm doing that day. Niche? Yeah for sure, but there's tons of examples of that.

And I daily drive a Pixel 7. And think Android is significantly better than iOS.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's an example of absolute platform support though, not adaptive layouts.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but the EU passed a law saying that rechargeable batteries in portable electronics must be easy to replace by consumers, without the use of tools. This includes smartphones.

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/press-room/20230609IPR96210/making-batteries-more-sustainable-more-durable-and-better-performing

Law comes in to effect in 2027

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

grack posted:

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but the EU passed a law saying that rechargeable batteries in portable electronics must be easy to replace by consumers, without the use of tools. This includes smartphones.

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/press-room/20230609IPR96210/making-batteries-more-sustainable-more-durable-and-better-performing

For comparison the bill to phase out inefficient light bulbs came into effect in 2009. This will impact devices that start their journey through the permit process in 2027.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

If removable backs and replaceable batteries do make a comeback, I hope manufacturers have fun with it like HTC used to do when they made the insides of their phones ridiculously bright colors. My first Android was an HTC Aria (3.2in screen, wow!) and when you prized off the back panel it was this insane yellow color. I thought it was so cool.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 2, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

grack posted:

I don't know how you make a waterproof/dustproof phone with a battery that's user replaceable without tools.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

The final text might have changed some details, but from a cursory scan it seems to still contain provisions that lead to:

https://www.izm.fraunhofer.de/en/news_events/tech_news/eu-regulations-set-to-make-smartphones-and-tablets-more-sustainable.html posted:

For smartphones, this means that users should be able to swap out their batteries themselves, unless the batteries are built to last for at least 1000 cycles and the devices designed to be watertight to the IP67 standard. But even in these special cases, the batteries should be replaceable for professional technicians.

Grim Up North fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 2, 2023

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

"...built to last for at least 1000 cycles."

Define: "last"

Be able to be charged and discharged 1000 times without exploding or be able to still be functional for more than 3 hours.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Mental Hospitality posted:

"...built to last for at least 1000 cycles."

Define: "last"

Be able to be charged and discharged 1000 times without exploding or be able to still be functional for more than 3 hours.

83% capacity after 500 cycles and 80% capacity after 1000 cycles.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Actually some serious stuff there:
-7 years of replacement parts and service manuals required
-ensure that the devices pass 45 falls without any protective foil or separate protective cover, except for foldable mobile phones
-from the date of end of placement on the market to at least 5 years
after that date, manufacturers, importers or authorised
representatives shall, if they provide security updates, corrective
updates or functionality updates to an operating system, make such
updates available at no cost for all units of a product model with
the same operating system;
-security updates or corrective updates mentioned under point (a)
need to be available to the user at the latest 4 months after the
public release of the source code of an update of the underlying
operating system

10 pages of legalese, with the actual regulation being appendix 2.
Fun quotes, for who was wondering:

For the purpose of this Regulation, the following definitions shall apply:
(1) ‘mobile phone’ means a cordless handheld electronic device, which has the
following characteristics:
(a) it is designed for long-range voice communication over either a cellular
telecommunications network or a satellite-based telecommunications
network, requiring a SIM card, eSIM or similar means to identify the
connected parties;
(b) it is designed for battery mode usage, and connection to mains via an
external power supply and/or wireless power transmission is mainly for
battery charging purposes;
(c) it is not designed to be worn on the wrist;
(2) ‘smartphone’ means a mobile phone, which has the following characteristics:
(a) it is characterised by wireless network connection, mobile use of internet
services, an operating system optimised for handheld use and the ability
to accept original and third-party software applications;
(b) it has an integrated touch screen display with a viewable diagonal size of
10,16 centimetres (or 4,0 inches) or more, but less than 17,78 centimetres
(or 7,0 inches);
(c) where the device has a foldable display or has more than one display, at
least one of the displays falls into the size range in either opened or
closed mode

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

I don't know how you make a waterproof/dustproof phone with a battery that's user replaceable without tools.

It’s a lower rating, but the Galaxy S5 was IP67 rated and had a removable back panel with access to the battery.

https://www.tomshardware.com/review...2030%20minutes.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Branch Nvidian posted:

It’s a lower rating, but the Galaxy S5 was IP67 rated and had a removable back panel with access to the battery.

https://www.tomshardware.com/review...2030%20minutes.
I had/have that phone. The best part was how grippy the back was.

I wrecked the screen with a spider web fracture, looked like it had been shot, by putting it in the same pocket with an earbud. Oops, I hosed up.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

By making the whole rest of the phone a sealed part with only a single waterproof connection to the battery (plus the USB port).
And then you put a lid on top of that that does not need to be waterproof.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Speaking of grip, I recently got a Caseology Athlex for my Pixel 7P and I absolutely love it. I think it might be my favorite case I've had on this phone, and I've had a lot.

Really high quality with a rough texture that reminds me of spray on truck bed lining or those anti-slip strips you see on stairs. I also find my finger naturally finds that goofy aesthetic cutout on the back which adds to the sense of security.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

VictualSquid posted:

Actually some serious stuff there:
-7 years of replacement parts and service manuals required
-ensure that the devices pass 45 falls without any protective foil or separate protective cover, except for foldable mobile phones
-from the date of end of placement on the market to at least 5 years
after that date, manufacturers, importers or authorised
representatives shall, if they provide security updates, corrective
updates or functionality updates to an operating system, make such
updates available at no cost for all units of a product model with
the same operating system;
-security updates or corrective updates mentioned under point (a)
need to be available to the user at the latest 4 months after the
public release of the source code of an update of the underlying
operating system

10 pages of legalese, with the actual regulation being appendix 2.
Fun quotes, for who was wondering:

For the purpose of this Regulation, the following definitions shall apply:
(1) ‘mobile phone’ means a cordless handheld electronic device, which has the
following characteristics:
(a) it is designed for long-range voice communication over either a cellular
telecommunications network or a satellite-based telecommunications
network, requiring a SIM card, eSIM or similar means to identify the
connected parties;
(b) it is designed for battery mode usage, and connection to mains via an
external power supply and/or wireless power transmission is mainly for
battery charging purposes;
(c) it is not designed to be worn on the wrist;
(2) ‘smartphone’ means a mobile phone, which has the following characteristics:
(a) it is characterised by wireless network connection, mobile use of internet
services, an operating system optimised for handheld use and the ability
to accept original and third-party software applications;
(b) it has an integrated touch screen display with a viewable diagonal size of
10,16 centimetres (or 4,0 inches) or more, but less than 17,78 centimetres
(or 7,0 inches);
(c) where the device has a foldable display or has more than one display, at
least one of the displays falls into the size range in either opened or
closed mode

This is basically death to anything doesn’t cost like a grand a shoot.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

sbaldrick posted:

This is basically death to anything doesn’t cost like a grand a shoot.

Why? 7 years parts availability is pretty standard in the US due to California already having a similar rule, drop tests are already mostly standard, and the security update thing is just common sense that should have been a law years ago.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If it means the death of idiotic fragile glass backs and the return of plastic, yeehaw.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

eXXon posted:

If it means the death of idiotic fragile glass backs and the return of plastic, yeehaw.

Now I picture people signing wavers to get a phone with a glass back.

And then putting it in a case.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
My case is made out of fire ants. No, you may not see it for the ants are very shy

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

SyRauk posted:

My case is made out of fire ants. No, you may not see it for the ants are very shy

New thread title?

My BBC News app updated yesterday and it's removed the widget capability. Assuming it's a permanent removal, does anyone have a recommendation for another news app that has a decent widget?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jul 4, 2023

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there any way to make YouTube Music on Android Auto search in your uploaded music? In that context, only seems to be aware of things that I've thumbs-up-ed, which when I want a particular album that I've uploaded, is not very useful.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
When I used Google Play Music (and Android Auto in general), I would have to say "in my library" when searching. Otherwise, it would find the album I was looking for and had saved to my phone, but would try to stream it and then tell me it couldn't stream it unless I paid a monthly fee.

Different app many years ago, but I would try "in my library".

EDIT: Just tried it on my YouTube Music on my phone using Assistant and it worked.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 4, 2023

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Got a Pixel 5 on Google Fi.

No matter where I am in the country, city, rural, whatever, my 5G bars never go above this level:

Stuff is slow to load at first even though download speeds eventually creep up to like 2mbps, so I just stay on LTE.

Does the Android Thread think this is a Pixel 5 issue or a Google Fi issue?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

smoobles posted:

No matter where I am in the country, city, rural, whatever, my 5G bars never go above this level:

Stuff is slow to load at first even though download speeds eventually creep up to like 2mbps, so I just stay on LTE.

If I was placing a bet it would be on Google Fi.

That said, I assume you are fully updated? You could try clearing caches, or even a factory reset, but I think my biggest suspect would be if that was an old SIM card. As I recall Google Fi is a MVNO off of T-Mobile's network, and while I couldn't say for sure it needs a newer SIM for 5G I do know that has been an issue on other carriers. I'm biased against T-Mobile for various reasons (although I am even more biased against AT&T), just in the interest of full disclosure.

I also think if the Pixel 5 tended to have issues with 5G we would have seen a lot more posts about it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/4/23783499/google-pixel-8-pro-leaked-testing-photos-camera-flat-screen

Some info on an alleged Pixel 8 Pro. Flat screen comeback.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

smoobles posted:

I seem to recall reading that a recent update disabled 5G+ on older phones like my 5a.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Uthor posted:

When I used Google Play Music (and Android Auto in general), I would have to say "in my library" when searching. Otherwise, it would find the album I was looking for and had saved to my phone, but would try to stream it and then tell me it couldn't stream it unless I paid a monthly fee.

Different app many years ago, but I would try "in my library".

EDIT: Just tried it on my YouTube Music on my phone using Assistant and it worked.

This didn't work for me, at least not in the car.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If I was placing a bet it would be on Google Fi.

That said, I assume you are fully updated? You could try clearing caches, or even a factory reset, but I think my biggest suspect would be if that was an old SIM card. As I recall Google Fi is a MVNO off of T-Mobile's network, and while I couldn't say for sure it needs a newer SIM for 5G I do know that has been an issue on other carriers. I'm biased against T-Mobile for various reasons (although I am even more biased against AT&T), just in the interest of full disclosure.

I also think if the Pixel 5 tended to have issues with 5G we would have seen a lot more posts about it.

Yeah that was basically my experience on Fi. Then moved to Mint (which I think uses the same TMo network as Fi) and same thing and eventually to US Mobile (Verizon) and it was better finally.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, the Fold failed the bend test, but he dumped a handful of grit between the screens and didn't manage to make it fail the way Ron did.

https://youtu.be/T1QB_EkeX9Y

Not even any noises from the hinge.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What's a phone recommendation for something:
1. Under $500
2. Android with a minimum of vendor fuckery
3. Camera at least as good as a Pixel 3a
4. Not gigantic slate
5. Will last at least 2 years without a hardware failure

My wife's Pixel 6a just ate poo poo with a hardware failure that leaves it in fastboot showing a failed diagnostic screen. It's in warranty, but it is frustrating as hell to have another dead Pixel. Once again the backup Moto G5 Plus from 2017 is being pressed into service, it has now outlived four Google Pixels between the two of us. My wife's Pixel 3a died with internal hardware failure a few weeks before the 5a was released, her Pixel 5a died and was repaired under this program: https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/11833075?hl=en, and now her 6a is dead at 9 months old.

We're feeling pretty frustrated with Pixel hardware failures. We both had Nexus 5Xes that failed, and then the warranty replacement 5Xes also failed the same way. Her Pixel 1 died after warranty, Pixel 3a died so she got the 5a, the 5a repair took more than a full week so she bought a 6a and then traded the repaired 5a towards it, and now we have another dead Pixel. At some point I feel like it's not bad luck and the Pixels really do have worse hardware reliability than basically any other phone out there. This is absurd.

Meanwhile, the Moto G5 Plus that she's using as a backup phone again was purchased for $240 in 2017. I used it as my primary phone for 3.5 years, and it's been pressed into service again for varying amounts of time to replace one of my broken Pixels and three of hers. It's been dropped off a bicycle at speed, fallen out of a car window, stepped on, and abused constantly. It has never been inside a case and its metal body is covered in not just scrapes, but deep gouges. The screen is scratched, but does not have a single crack on it. It's thinner than any modern phone and the battery still lasts all day. Its front fingerprint reader is super fast and works every time, unlike my Pixel 6. Meanwhile all these pixels that keep breaking are babied inside of big thick Spigen cases, and are completely pristine looking up until they day they die of motherboard failure.

I guess what I'm asking is, how can I buy a new Moto G5 Plus?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My Moto G Power was like $180 and while the camera was never mind-blowing it did the job. Also, having just switched to a Pixel 7a, I kinda already miss the battery life on the Motorola... I'd regularly get 2 days use out of a single charge, even after two years of ownership. Hell, I just left it powered on after I pulled the SIM and it's only now hit 4% battery life after idling on wifi for a week. No real Android fuckery either... so basically, buy another cheap Motorola, sounds like you're already on the right track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

If they do a good trade-in again, I'm tempted. I'd love to go back to a flat screen. I like my 6 Pro, but yeah, I don't get what a curved screen gets me.