Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

DROD came out in 1996. I'm not sure when I started playing it off and on but probably decades and finally its done. Secret rooms do not count and anyone who says otherwise is a liar. At this rate I'll complete the series by 2300

Last level is a little weird the gimmick is there's this little rear end in a top hat dude running around flipping switches and opening/closing doors to gently caress with you and get you killed. You finally corner him in the last room, and the game gives a special pop-up saying he's begging for mercy and asks if you REALLY want to kill him? Which is unique and nothing else triggers a pop-up across the whole game. But, turns out if you don't kill him he'll swiftly get you killed as you try to complete the rest of the room, and it's impossible to beat the level without murdering him. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a lesson

Nix Panicus posted:

I had the same problem with Tyranny that I had with PoE2. I need a 'good' faction I can identify with because my power fantasy is helping people. I don't want 'everyone is bad' gritty realism. Gimme unrealistic infantile heroism

The good faction is you and your goals as anyone who opposes you is ontologically evil

The Chad Jihad has issued a correction as of 00:36 on Jul 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Screaming Idiot posted:

Unarmed builds in that game are amazing. Why shoot guns when you can chunkify people with your bare hands? No thanks, I don't kneed a holdout weapon, I have fists that go mingle, mangle, mingle.

there's really nothing quite like sneaking up on a raider and knocking their block off with a deathclaw gauntlet

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Ytlaya posted:

LJ's campaign is okay. It's not as good as Judgment's, but it still kept me interested throughout. And it has much better gameplay + you get another city.

Overall I enjoyed "full package" of LJ more, even though Judgment's plot was significantly better.

this is where I'm at so far but I'm only in Act 5. judgment's plot was good and lj's plot is fine so far though I think it's a little overtaken by all the side activity, for better or for worse

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

lost judgment's soundtrack is also incredible, one of the best I've heard in awhile and they make really good use of it in the cutscenes and stuff

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I can’t wait for like a dragon: Ichiban goes Hawaiian

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

The Chad Jihad posted:

The good faction is you and your goals as anyone who opposes you is ontologically evil

no video game can ever allow the player to kill the elite/landowning classes and give the subsistence land that was stolen back to the common people without explicitly telling you, the purchaser of the video game, that your well intentioned policy went horribly wrong anyways.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

eothas was right to break the wheel

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

im the good guy what ever i do is right and everything i dont like is wrong and should be destroyed

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
eothas is very american god. boogie boy with a rewind button.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think the main issue with LJ's plot is that it tries to be about an actual societal/political issue, but isn't willing to take any kind of stand. So you end up with the protagonist's position not being particularly convincing.

Judgment benefits from having a plot focused on individuals and their feelings and motivations. People doing bad things for deeply personal reasons. And the protagonist also has a direct personal connection to the plot. That's probably the only way to do a compelling "apolitical" story. But LJ makes the mistake of bringing up an actual societal problem, while being completely unwilling to propose any answers to it.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
wrong

in Yakuza you can beat up a guy about any problem basically

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Cuttlefush posted:

wrong

in Yakuza you can beat up a guy about any problem basically

Reactionaries hassling your whores? Beat em up!

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

every time i think of the stupid shower scene in DE:MD i laugh at this metal hooves clobbing around in the basin

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

lol i think read this ad in an issue of gamepro

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

bet it scrapes the poo poo out of the tile, small wonder his landlord hates him

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!

Plank Walker posted:

lol i think read this ad in an issue of gamepro

sorry, can't see this

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i picked up DAVE THE DIVER and its a lot of fun so far. nice combination of Cook, Serve, Delicious and Subnautica and other fishing games

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Xaris posted:

i picked up DAVE THE DIVER and its a lot of fun so far. nice combination of Cook, Serve, Delicious and Subnautica and other fishing games

same with this (haven't tried it yet), Mechwarrior, and Weird West

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Weird West was very mediocre and dissapointing. the first vignette was fun, even a bit of the second, but then all the other ones were worse and repetitive. I expected a lot more from Raphael Colantonio since akrane had good stuff

i'm glad I played it for FREE* on game pass instead of buying it

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Xaris posted:

Played for a few hours today, it's really fun and excellent on the Steam Deck. Infact maybe the best suited game to the Deck I've played so far. The minigames are all super short so they don't get tedious like some games (say, Spiritfarer) and exploring underwater is well done. I very much enjoy how almost every character makes fun of poor Dave and how he's a big fat guy.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Xaris posted:

Weird West was very mediocre and dissapointing. the first vignette was fun, even a bit of the second, but then all the other ones were worse and repetitive. I expected a lot more from Raphael Colantonio since akrane had good stuff

i'm glad I played it for FREE* on game pass instead of buying it

ah that's disappointing to hear
I knew it got shellacked on release but I was hoping they'd fixed it up a bit since then

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Got credits in Moonlighter, fun game, nice satisfying loop, combat is tough at first but I cant speak to anything past the mid game because I discovered that the highest damaging attack in the game also has iframes throughout its entire animation and I just moonwalked after that.

Dont look up the prices for stuff, the game makes it easy to figure out and if you can swing a sword you're going to be swimming in cash since you really do just wanna sell everything that doesnt have a star from being in a wish listed recipe

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

finished ff16

all i can say is jesus loving christ

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

triple sulk posted:

finished ff16

good jesus christ or bad jesus christ

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

good jesus christ or bad jesus christ

yes

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

triple sulk posted:

finished ff16

how long did it take you? this game just goes and goes

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

that sounds promising

I do love spectacular train wrecks

better than 15 from the sounds of it and I beat that one

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

it's a hard game to play through again because it's unbelievably loving long by final fantasy standards and has some extremely bad pacing in parts, but i would still rank it 3rd or 4th in the series

if they somehow fixed some of the pacing issues like they did with ff15 it could arguably be #2

Ben Nerevarine posted:

how long did it take you? this game just goes and goes

the credits are rolling but home screen thing was pushing 48 hours last i checked a couple hours ago, so say about 50 hours. i did a fair number of sidequests but i skipped the 15-20 they throw at you to finish the game because it'd probably take another 10+ hours

if you don't do many sidequests you're still looking at close to 40 hours

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

that sounds promising

I do love spectacular train wrecks

better than 15 from the sounds of it and I beat that one

i played 15 at launch and ardyn and the ending were the only good parts. the ending was almost good enough to make up for the rest of the game, almost

and i know they later fixed all the poo poo in chapter 13 where you had no equipment or whatever in the prison and it was utterly miserable

16 is unfathomably better and anyone who gave it a bad review is an idiot or just isn't the target demographic for final fantasy games. the game's biggest sins are the mmo-like dialogue cameras (handing items offscreen etc), some disparity in character model quality, and the pacing between eikon battles, specifically in the second half

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
you know what's hosed up? no one has made a spiritual successor to E.V.O.: The Search for Eden. one of the best snes games. like spore kinda promised that but lmao

tis a war crime against gamers

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

ah that's disappointing to hear
I knew it got shellacked on release but I was hoping they'd fixed it up a bit since then
I only played it at release so I don't know, maybe they have fixed it up since release

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i'm also glad that the game upheld the generally respected final fantasy tradition of having its final boss battle in some variation of outer space

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

triple sulk posted:

i'm also glad that the game upheld the generally respected final fantasy tradition of having its final boss battle in some variation of outer space

Well that's all I needed to hear

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the credits are still rolling. they are so long

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

they are literally like 25 minutes long. i guess it's to kinda let you mellow out after yoshi-p's wild ride

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the Bahamut fight in XVI would’ve been the final boss in any other game

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

broke: Unskippable 5 year long cutscene every time you use a summon

Woke: What if 5 year long summon cutscene was also a boss fight

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Popy posted:

broke: Unskippable 5 year long cutscene every time you use a summon

Woke: What if 5 year long summon cutscene was also a boss fight