Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Endman posted:

weird considering I'm not an american tbh

Thats the great part, theres gonna be so much fallout it won't matter where you live!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Банкуйте posted:

Prices for goods with the symbols of the Wagner PMCs rose sharply on Russian marketplaces after the Prigozhin military mutiny:

• the chevron "Wagner" on Velcro, which cost ₽220 apiece before the start of the rebellion, has risen to ₽455;

• the flag of the mercenary group has increased in price from ₽671 to ₽924;

• cap with an emblem – from ₽475 to ₽632.

On the Ozon website, Wagner-related products were also popular. The "hits of the week" were the flag of the Wagner PMCs, a chevron and a set of stickers. On Yandex.Market, the "popular offers" category includes a "Wagner" patch on clothes and a flag with a chevron of PMCs.
(from t.me/bankuyte/1756, via tgsa)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That's not true, it's not like On The Beach. If you live in the global south you won't die from the bombs. There will be economic collapse as a third of the global GDP disappears but this just means there will be unprecedented opportunity for people's war and a new revolutionary wave. The strongman govts rely on American military to oppress the people, without it they are nothing. So basically, if you're a leftist you should embrace nuclear war

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
posadism ftw

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

crepeface posted:

i want to make some jokes about ukraine doing a full mobilisation of 18-60 males but in light of the recent re-emergence of the scuttled istanbul peace talks it's too depressing.

russia probably unlikely to accept any new peace plan (or even a ceasefire) that kiev and the west can instantly renege on, so is unconditional surrender the only way this ends? this is basically going to be the west shoving the entire male population of ukraine out the door with a broken hatchet to fight a bear until they're all dead.

the only hope is some kind of grassroots uprising of ukrainans to overthrow their own government? what a miserable situation.

https://tass.com/politics/1640663

quote:

Russia’s terms for peace in Ukraine will be different now — envoy to UN
After the chance for peace was missed in March last year through the fault of the United States and the European Union, peace preconditions for Ukraine will certainly be different, Vasily Nebenzya said

UNITED NATIONS, June 30. /TASS/. Russia’s preconditions for reconciliation with Ukraine will differ from those put forward in March 2022, Russian Permanent Representative to the United Nations Vasily Nebenzya told the UN Security Council session on Thursday.

"After the chance for peace was missed in March last year through the fault of the United States and the European Union, [peace] preconditions for Ukraine will certainly be different," Nebenzya said.

about what we thought about russia's negotiating position

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
also lol i just saw this

https://www.rferl.org/a/ukraine-sbu-responsible-killing-banker-russian-intelligence/32235780.html

quote:

KYIV -- Ukrainian security agents were responsible for killing a Ukrainian banker who reportedly served as a crucial information conduit and negotiator with Russia in the run-up to last year's invasion, a top intelligence official said.

The comments, made by General Kyrylo Budanov in an interview with RFE/RL's Ukrainian Service, add further to the mystery surrounding the killing of Denys Kiryeyev, who was reportedly honored for his work four months after his death.

Budanov, who heads Ukraine's military intelligence agency, said "he believes the facts" and that Kiryeyev, who was a full-time employee of the agency, was killed by the Security Service of Ukraine, widely known as the SBU. Budanov did not say how long Kiryeyev had worked for the agency.

The agents killed Kiryeyev in an SBU car as they "conducted an operation" against him, he said.

"It's a fact that he was killed in that car by these operatives," Budanov, whose agency is known as the GUR, said in a January 21 phone interview.

Asked specifically if SBU agents killed "a Ukrainian hero," he told RFE/RL: "This is absolutely true."

Budanov's comments came three days after a Wall Street Journal (WSJ) story that examined the work of Kiryeyev, who had been employed for several Western banks and had developed ties with powerful businessmen in the eastern Ukrainian region of Donetsk who had strong connections to Russia.

even RFERL says ukraine killed their own negotiator. of course they don't delve into why he was killed beyond a vague "WSJ says he was being investigated by the SBU for passing along info!" but it still more than what i expected

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Is Ukraine Europe, Asia, or Eurasia?

north america

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

crepeface posted:

During peace negotiations Russia will force the opposing negotiator to wear an increasing embarassing outfit like that Robot Chicken skit with Darth Vader making Lando wear a frilly dress, clown shoes and ride a unicycle.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Probably a societal oversight that this think tank doesn't already exist

lol

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
the mindset of Ukraine expressed in these articles (and we've read variations of it all the way going back to last year when the idea of a far off offensive with NATO trained troops first started getting thrown around) is so bizarre to me.. The idea that you can do your offensive, get whatever territory you can grab, and then that's when you pick up the phone to start negotiating..

The sentiment that's been expressed is "we'll start negotiating when we are on the front foot / Russia feels threatened" but when does Russia feel more threatened? after you've already expended all your energy in the offensive and the front has died down into another stalemate / Russia re-takes the initiative and starts pushing forward again, or is it before the offensive happened when Russia has to weigh getting peace arranged against the threat of having to face down a large army with freshly provided NATO equipment that's been training to fight for half a year?

If you wait till after the offensive is over to start negotiating doesn't that run the risk of having the offensive blow up in your face and you end up in a much worse position for negotiations than you would have been otherwise? It's crazy to me that nobody in the west is advising Ukraine to a different course of action.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

crepeface posted:

In 2022 Russia would have been willing to go with the status quo + guarantees of neutrality from Ukraine. Now its going to cost a few oblasts I think

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

absolutely nobody is going to step up to volunteer to negotiate a cease fire, never mind a surrender if you’re just going to be merked by the sbu after a few hours anyway

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Mantis42 posted:

That's not true, it's not like On The Beach. If you live in the global south you won't die from the bombs. There will be economic collapse as a third of the global GDP disappears but this just means there will be unprecedented opportunity for people's war and a new revolutionary wave. The strongman govts rely on American military to oppress the people, without it they are nothing. So basically, if you're a leftist you should embrace nuclear war

Yeah but I live in the UK and we're getting glassed if a nuclear war actually happens. I want a cool wastleland to go adventuring in; I don't want to BE the wasteland!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah but I live in the UK and we're getting glassed if a nuclear war actually happens. I want a cool wastleland to go adventuring in; I don't want to BE the wasteland!

I've checked before and my house and workplace are both squarely in the blast zone, where they'll be instantly reduced to rubble if a nuke's detonated over my city. So at least I won't need to worry about slowly dying from burns, or radiation sickness.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

The next Fallout 4 DLC is set in London

Try to die in an amusing fashion with some tape recordings scattered around for ambient storytelling

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

crepeface posted:

also lol i just saw this

https://www.rferl.org/a/ukraine-sbu-responsible-killing-banker-russian-intelligence/32235780.html

even RFERL says ukraine killed their own negotiator. of course they don't delve into why he was killed beyond a vague "WSJ says he was being investigated by the SBU for passing along info!" but it still more than what i expected

I remember reading from somewhere 2 body guards of the negotiator were killed and they were buried with honor.

But reading this article that could be a false rumor because the detail of the killing probably were retold by the 2 body guards.

Now that Zelensky has already changed the management in SBU, we kind of know who did it but still don't know if CIA was involved in the killing.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 09:48 on Jul 1, 2023

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
feels good that ukraine has learned how to be a proper democracy, what with creating a police state that keeps assassinating their own citizens

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

I just saw a guy in the banya covered completely in political tattoos. He had many variations of the sonnenrad, for example with axes or guns as the individual "spokes".

Didn't get around to asking him if he's from Ukraine.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Nix Panicus posted:

The next Fallout 4 DLC is set in London

Try to die in an amusing fashion with some tape recordings scattered around for ambient storytelling

Its a mod. Bethesda just gave it two thumbs up and hired a few modders whose work had been finished on the project.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

tazjin posted:

I just saw a guy in the banya covered completely in political tattoos. He had many variations of the sonnenrad, for example with axes or guns as the individual "spokes".

Didn't get around to asking him if he's from Ukraine.

maybe he is a wheel enthusiast.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Mr. Green is doing his own sanctions now

https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/6081928

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

thank you for the title [[[==ukrainï==]]]

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Posting in this thread almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/KatProkopenkoUa/status/1674911363855007744?t=iVeA6sG6sehGlZjAXZ28jA&s=19

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

tazjin posted:

Mr. Green is doing his own sanctions now

https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/6081928

Picking fights with Georgia and Kazakhstan seems just stupid in all honesty.

------------

Btw, as far as aircraft that were shot down/destroyed by the Ukrainians go, they actually had a few hundred aircraft before the war; only about 70-80 were 4th g generation fighters, but in terms of raw numbers, there was a wide variety of other aircraft, from attack planes to transports to trainers. It is more of less the same for helicopters. It wasn't actually small in terms of personnel. Also, the Ukrainians had naval aviation and the ground force had its own choppers, which explains a little more about the longevity of the AFU in the air coupled with the fighters they were getting from the West.

However, the question is if 10-40 older F-16s would make a critical difference or just sort of keep the Ukrainians in the air for another month or so before they mostly go down to attrition. Also, one advantage the Ukrainians have been having is at least their current Soviet fighters and attack aircraft can be broken down for storage, allowing them to fly from one reserve field/highway and they land in another (and then store their fighters in a forest/camouflaged hanger somewhere else). It is a lot more difficult with the F-16 which can't be broken apart and needs more substantial facilities, which means they are significantly more vulnerable on the ground even if they have somewhat better radar/EW systems in the air.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 12:09 on Jul 1, 2023

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Philosopher lol wtf?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Francis Fukuyama without question knows what Azov stands for; it puts the end of history in a little more context.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Got no materials but we found a philosopher.

Maybe he can do a poetry reading on the front lines in lieu of shells.

Poetry slam > artillery.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was at the beach over the weekend, and I picked up one of those toy shovels, and I started digging

One of my nieces comes up to me, and asks me what I'm doing, and I tell her "well, if the enemy starts coming in from the ocean, we need to have a trench for cover. Would you like to help?"

She nods, and starts digging too

When the trench gets to about four inches deep and a foot and a half in length, I change direction to angle it perpendicular to the coast. My other niece then asks why, and I explain that it's to prevent the enemy from being able to see down the entire length of the trench if they ever get inside. "This way, we can isolate them to just the one part of the trench that they get into"

it's like a lightbulb goes off in her head, and she helps her sister zigzag the trench on the other side from the one I'm working on

Later, I help them fill up a bucket with sand (not too wet!), and then turn it over, to create "a big bunker that's going to overlook our trenches", as I use my fingernail to carve out a small firing slit. Later, they start looking for rocks and start putting them in the trenches and on top of the bunker. They're "the guards", they tell me

By the time we left the beach at sunset, we had one more bunker, about ten feet of trenchworks, and a communications trench running between the main line and the bunkers

That was all stuff I picked up from this thread, and I'm glad I was able to entertain and connect with my extended family for a while

:3

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Nix Panicus posted:

In 2022 Russia would have been willing to go with the status quo + guarantees of neutrality from Ukraine. Now its going to cost a few oblasts I think
in a hypothetical scenario where russia agrees to ukranian demands to return territory to pre-2014, it is hard to imagine that the poll-confirmed nazi situation in ukraine would not immediately start mass murdering and expelling ethnic russians

the ukranian tv interviews on how to handle russians in crimea if ukraine were to regain it were certainly collar-tugging

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Mixed news for Ukraine

200 fighter aircraft are being provided to the Ukrainian Air Force but due to a typo in the requisitions form they're getting I-16s instead of F-16s

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Cerebral Bore posted:

posadism ftw

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

feels good that ukraine has learned how to be a proper democracy, what with creating a police state that keeps assassinating their own citizens

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

crepeface posted:

also lol i just saw this

That the Kiev junta is murdering its own people to stop peace does not fill me with positive feelings

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Dogshit fake country. Lenin was a mistake

Lenin was a big, fat mess

BRICKFACE
Apr 20, 2002

I BITE
do people still have a huge boner for Fukuyama and why

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Futanari Damacy posted:

That the Kiev junta is murdering its own people to stop peace does not fill me with positive feelings

Slava ethnic cleansa.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

comedyblissoption posted:

in a hypothetical scenario where russia agrees to ukranian demands to return territory to pre-2014, it is hard to imagine that the poll-confirmed nazi situation in ukraine would not immediately start mass murdering and expelling ethnic russians

And yet you are happy to condone Russia's non-imaginary, ongoing mass murdering of Ukrainians (including ethnic Russians) during their invasion and via missile attacks on civilian population centres.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
if theres one thing this thread loves doing is condoning war, war crimes, mass murder and ethnic cleansing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

BRICKFACE posted:

do people still have a huge boner for Fukuyama and why

i have a huge boner to gently caress yo mama