Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

An Jung-geun
Sep 2, 2022

How the turntables

https://twitter.com/SCMPNews/status/1674998311252815873

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

*after shooting wildly in the sky*

What did we learn, Johnson? Well I don't loving know either

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Miles Blundell posted:

I never really had the impression that those kinds of shutouts last for very long and that generally they can get back in eventually, but I don't really know the specifics, I'm not an infosec guy. Maybe for something as high stakes and expensive as tsmc they'll just pay out and hope for the best?

I imagine a lot of the time they're hoping the executives will panic and pay just to make the problem go away.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

celadon posted:

I thought they locked your systems down, like they don’t need your data so much as you need your computers online for your hospital to work. Maybe the data is just extra bonus but the main pain point is that every computer you have is out of commission

it looks like this is data theft, not any kind of systems lockdown

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1675006026087792642

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Europe sounding very different

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

just for reference, the CBC has had one of these people on to whine about Seattle's anti-caste laws. Having worked with people in their 20s who are fully invested in the caste system it is scary how white people seem to be completely incapable of understanding and recognizing what is just another form of bigotry. The person on the CBC made no effort at all to challenge what the Hindutva person was saying and was absolutely loving clueless

I don't think it's always obvious but as someone who's not in the caste system (though uh, I'm at the bottom of the Western one), can't you figure it out based on just things like an unusual lack of respect in the workplace?

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

aren’t a lot of Indian diaspora respectable liberals in their new countries but enormous reactionaries re:native Indian politics bc most people who make it as middle class professionals outside of India are also high caste but since caste prejudice isn’t really relevant there it doesn’t impact their politics there

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i feel like it's an inspiring testament to our common humanity that expats are virtually always garbage no matter where they come from

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

:thunk:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Cerebral Bore posted:

i feel like it's an inspiring testament to our common humanity that expats are virtually always garbage no matter where they come from

I used to work in a Chinese tech company in Brazil. At the first quarterly meeting I attended, they decided to open questions to the floor with no vetting.

Q1: How come there are no women in senior management

Q2: How come there are no Brazilians in senior management

Q3: We noticed all the top 3 tiers of management are occupied by Chinese guys in their early 30s, does this reflect our stated values of diversity etc?

A: (Delivered by a Chinese guy in his early 30s) We put the best people in the best roles. No more questions on this topic thanks.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Beefeater1980 posted:

I used to work in a Chinese tech company in Brazil. At the first quarterly meeting I attended, they decided to open questions to the floor with no vetting.

Q1: How come there are no women in senior management

Q2: How come there are no Brazilians in senior management

Q3: We noticed all the top 3 tiers of management are occupied by Chinese guys in their early 30s, does this reflect our stated values of diversity etc?

A: (Delivered by a Chinese guy in his early 30s) We put the best people in the best roles. No more questions on this topic thanks.

lol

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Sounds like management was all PoC. How's that not diverse?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Mantis42 posted:

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin

fart simpson posted:

that article mentions one of the diplomatic “costs” was upsetting a german wind energy company by letting them enter the chinese market in exchange for technology transfer, because the german company failed to gain significant market share in china after that and china gained their technical knowledge

this is an often repeated story. Every western company wants access to china, shares their tech, can't compete or somehow fails, leaves behind the chinese part of the company (since you can't operate in china without that, no wholly foreign owned businesses everything is a partnership) which is bought up or becomes successful itself.

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

how much of Asia’s population lives at or near sea level ?

its a lot

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Mantis42 posted:

people of china

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
🅱️eople of 🅱️hina

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

drat, didn't know that taiwan is just one massive mountain

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

you've never seen taiwan from space? that's japan in the top-right

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin

Cerebral Bore posted:

you joke but it actually is. If you ever fly over the coast on a clear day it's quite incredible. The west coast too but there are plains which roll up to the mountain which is why it's called "platform bay" (what taiwan means in mandarin), of course it's actually a play on the native words which sound similar.

The east coast is like this

Its highest peak is 13,000 feet, which is taller than any mountain in the koreas or japan. Malaysia has one taller mountain and china has the Himalayas but that's it for east asia. Taiwan is a big mountain

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin

look at the shadow it casts in this exaggerated topographical map

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

what's that "depression" red spot in northwest china?

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

HiroProtagonist posted:

looks like a desert with a bunch of dried out (probably seasonal) riverbeds

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

HiroProtagonist posted:

its where they put all the goons who move to china

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

HiroProtagonist posted:

Its a lake

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosten_Lake

Wait no, it's just a depression

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turpan_Depression

Slim Jim Pickens has issued a correction as of 00:19 on Jul 2, 2023

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

e:you already noticed

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

love how you can tell where chongqing is from the most perfect 4x topography there

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

HiroProtagonist posted:

It's the secret CCP jail where all the Uyghurs are imprisoned

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Cerebral Bore posted:

its where they put all the goons who move to china

their eating habits give them endorrhea

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

It's the secret CCP jail where all the Uyghurs are imprisoned

The reason there's no evidence is that the CCP has created a portal to another dimension

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

i say swears online posted:

you've never seen taiwan from space?

gee, rub it in, why don't ya

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

wait Zenz is claiming China has concentration camps in Mongolia? What?!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Man Zenz upgraded to Foundation. Gordon Chang missed out on the grift.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

GlassEye-Boy posted:

wait Zenz is claiming China has concentration camps in Mongolia? What?!

its almost like his entire grift relies on an audience that doesn't actually know poo poo about china and has no interest in learning either

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

chinese checkers is people