Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Imagine a Russian mechanic using their body as a shield as the artillery commanders walk toward that lone T-34, "NO You can't have her, she's the only left!"

What's the American equivalent of a T-54? M48? Why would you even have a tank that old in commission? How do they maintain it, surely they haven't manufactured parts for it for decades. I can only imagine countries they sold the tanks to who kept it in commission much longer have post-production parts, ammo and material. This is hurting my brain, but at least it speaks to desperation for russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Why do you think the Ethiopian civil war is getting less coverage and interest?

Imo various factors: farther from 'western' nations rather than smack on the doorstep of Central Europe, less crucial economic involvement with the west, all the sides involved except maybe the federal one are smallish as opposed to a near-peer war between a major regional power and a medium regional power, absolutely no clear 'good guys', difficult to explain concisely, substantially less comprehensive internet presence, not quite so exciting technologically to milstuff rubberneckers, etc etc etc

not a lot of Americans gave a lot of shits about the sri lankan civil war either, I assure you, and that one didn't have quite so many of those reasons quite as much

hell, myanmar's Situation barely gets any discussion here and Amerigoons are much more plugged in to world events than just about any other group that isn't professionally involved in any given world event

if someone were to make a myanmar/SEA thread I would love to lurk it as well because I know almost nothing about that conflict and don't know where to easily find more other than the occasional news story

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Elyv posted:

if someone were to make a myanmar/SEA thread I would love to lurk it as well because I know almost nothing about that conflict and don't know where to easily find more other than the occasional news story

Extreme same.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Huggybear posted:

What's the American equivalent of a T-54? M48? Why would you even have a tank that old in commission? How do they maintain it, surely they haven't manufactured parts for it for decades. I can only imagine countries they sold the tanks to who kept it in commission much longer have post-production parts, ammo and material. This is hurting my brain, but at least it speaks to desperation for russia.

Probably an M48. Russia/Soviet Union was/is a huge arms exporter and they built 90k+ T-54/T-55, it's the most widely built tank of all time so there are just tons of them floating around and plenty of parts. Lots of other nations still use T-54/T-55 tanks.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

MikeC posted:

https://kyivindependent.com/its-a-lottery-how-ukraines-assault-brigade-counterattacks-near-bakhmut/

New piece on the Ukr 80th which has apparently been rotated back for refitting and training. They are a pre-war regular unit that was most recently sent into Bakhmut in February to try and stabilize the situation and carried out some counter-attacks after the Russians finally seized the city. The most interesting part is the Twitter vids we get of squad-level action really are as big as it gets apparently, at least in the Bakhmut area.

I'm extremely loving glad that I don't have this job because it sounds like the kind of poo poo the Astra Militarum does

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

BillsPhoenix posted:

On the surface I completely agree. Anyone in Eastern Europe should have this reaction as well.

But for Americans - this isn't our neighbor. So is this a topic Americans must have a reaction to? And if so, to use a different example, why is the current genocidal killings in Ethiopia something that very few Americans have any thoughts on?

It's a bit philosophical, so I don't think there's a "right" answer, though there's a few clear wrong ones (supporting Russia).

I know a lot of Americans with Ukrainian heritage and not so many with Ethiopian heritage. There is also the fact that it is a war in Europe, which historically have eventually involved the USA directly. Why the gently caress would we wait around to see what happens when the entirety of the EU are our ostensible allies in NATO / The West and they are being threatened by a lovely belligerent in Russia? The USA has a variety of direct interests in how the war in Ukraine shakes out that simply aren't mirrored in Ethiopia.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
I'm pre-conditioned by propaganda and Hollywood to assume Russians are evil and/or the enemy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug

Nervous posted:

I'm pre-conditioned by propaganda and Hollywood to assume Russians are evil and/or the enemy.

I'm pre-conditioned by propaganda to believing that Invading democratic neighboring countries and kidnapping their children with the goal of replacing the population with my own is a net positive for the world

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Nervous posted:

Same, and I for one. Am glad that that Hollywood and real life coincide in this case.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hmm why would anyone care about Ukraine? Hmm yes must be cold war conditioning yes yes. I am very smart.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

I'm extremely loving glad that I don't have this job because it sounds like the kind of poo poo the Astra Militarum does
On the 40k side the performance of the Russian military has really helped me envision and understand the incompetence of most imperial planetary defense forces in the setting.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nervous posted:

Dude, seriously?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Ms Adequate posted:

Seeing people move from Harry Potter to Warhammer analogies probably says more about this conflict than a hundred Twitter embeds.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Nervous posted:

To me it was the repeated mass murder of civilians, castrated prisoners, heads on stakes, skull goblets and sledgehammers becoming a revered Russian icon. But that's just me.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Owling Howl posted:

To me it was the repeated mass murder of civilians, castrated prisoners, heads on stakes, skull goblets and sledgehammers becoming a revered Russian icon. But that's just me.

But have you considered that some of Russia's past imperialism and atrocities occurred under a flag with red touching yellow? That just makes it feel better, I'm told.

I'm with what some others have said though. I'm from an area with a lot of families from Ukraine, Poland, Slovakia, and other places who had left in part due to their countries being invaded/occupied/colonized by Russia, Germany, Austria-Hungary, and so on. Some in the Soviet and/or Nazi era, many others before. I spent my teenage years watching the collapse of the Soviet Union and hope for a new path for both its constituent republics and its satellite states. Seeing bad poo poo going down once again is a natural thing to pay attention to.

It would probably be an even sharper "oh poo poo, here we go again" if it was Germany getting aggressively revanchist under a nationalist dictator and invading some neighbors, let's be honest. And it's not like people would just shrug if like Poland or Bulgaria suddenly felt the will and strength to try conquering swaths of Eastern Europe. But it's not any of them. It's Russia. Dismissing that as propaganda programming us to see Russia as the villain is absurd because whether that propaganda exists is immaterial compared to what is objectively happening.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Why do you think the Ethiopian civil war is getting less coverage and interest?

[spoiler]Imo various factors: farther from 'western' nations rather than smack on the doorstep of Central Europe, less crucial economic involvement with the west, all the sides involved except maybe the federal one are smallish as opposed to a near-peer war between a major regional power and a medium regional power, absolutely no clear 'good guys', difficult to explain concisely, substantially less comprehensive internet presence, not quite so exciting technologically to milstuff rubberneckers, etc etc etc

There was also a major media blackout for most of the Ethiopian war. Almost no information was allowed to leave the occupied zones to report on.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
You can't have an opinion or support people in a genocidal war of survival unless you actively support everything good everywhere and oppose everything bad, or else your a brainwashed lib conditioned by the CIA

Evidence of being a legitimate righteous person is posting about politics 50 times/day

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
Brainwashed by Hollywood to think genocide is bad

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

BillsPhoenix posted:

On the surface I completely agree. Anyone in Eastern Europe should have this reaction as well.

But for Americans - this isn't our neighbor. So is this a topic Americans must have a reaction to? And if so, to use a different example, why is the current genocidal killings in Ethiopia something that very few Americans have any thoughts on?

It's a bit philosophical, so I don't think there's a "right" answer, though there's a few clear wrong ones (supporting Russia).

the US has significant allies in eastern europe, but that maybe matters more for federal politicians

if i had to point to anything it's that ukraine both has a lot of material for a charm offensive (because the russians are brutal and callous) and learned how important it was to conduct one after 2014. comparatively, americans i talked with about the prior invasion usually had no idea it'd happened. current events abroad just usually aren't a concern for most people

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Cold war conditioning definitely makes it easier for westerners to think of Russia as the villain, but in this case they're being mustache-twirlingly villainous by way of randomly flinging missiles at civilians and kidnapping children en masse for no plausible military reason. If you put this poo poo in a JRPG, reviews would complain about it being too over the top.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

People who support Ukraine are Hollywood brained. Now read my argument about how the US is the Evil Empire (from Star Wars) and that therefore any country that opposes it must necessarily be good

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

I think one reason why Ukraine gets a lot of emotional involvement while other people who are being victimized but are definitely in the right less so is that we feel that Ukraine is something with a happy ending. Take the Uyghur in China. I think most people agree that what is happening to them is horrifying. But it doesn't feel like this is something where really getting emotionally invested is mostly going to lead to heartbreak. Ukraine seems to hit the sweet spot where they are the good guys (and they are) , and they seem to actually have a good chance of winning.

And I don't think the point was 'wondering why people in the US are so invested in Ukraine' (because Ukraine is in the wrong/undeserving/Russia has vital interests) but more of a 'wondering why the people in the US are so invested in Ukraine' (because other people who suffer injustice and terror similarly to Ukraine generally get an emotionally muted response)

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

Part of my family is Estonian and fled the returning Soviets in WW2, this was a very good idea because one of them was a senior official in the collaboration government :v:

It's unfortunate how many war criminals escaped justice by fleeing to the west.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Another point people haven't mentioned yet: the war caused an enormous energy and food crises all around the world that affected almost everyone in some form.

And also the enormous refugee wave that exposed people to first hand accounts of the horrifying poo poo that Russia is doing. In many places it has been the biggest refugee wave since WW2.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It's unfortunate how many war criminals escaped justice by fleeing to the west.

Remember when the Soviets invaded in 1940 rounded up everyone with an education and sent them to die in Siberia

Very smart American tankie boy: "lmao... that owns. everyone that was left was nazis deserving of death, as well"

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Gentlemen, please, you can't fight here, this is the war thread!

Overdoze
Jan 6, 2008

Revolution of evolution
Is there an up to date overview somewhere of how many tanks/artillery systems/whatnot the Russians have left? I see the daily updates on the number of losses they take, but have lost sight of how much of their total they have thrown away.

I assume they are far from the bottom of the barrel, even despite the occasional T-55 popping up in Ukraine now.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Estonian collaborators specifically were notorious for escaping justice because of this gentleman:

He was a high ranking collaborator, a natural born Estonian, who oversaw the extermination of every single Jew in Estonia save exactly 12. He then fled to Britain who refused to extradite him to face trial by the Soviets.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 1, 2023

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I keep thinking Dungeons and Debates needs a separate thread for litigating everything that was awful and horrible about World War 2, its time and aftermath, but we have actual historians writing here and I'm too timid to write an OP

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Huggybear posted:

The T-55 was very advanced for its time and the core design is good. A lot of countries use modernized T-55s or have done so until recently. The Egyptian are a big user with hundreds of heavily modernized T-55s with new engines and powertrains, a modernized Western 105mm guns, and an advanced fire control and sensor suite. There are a lot of other variants that followed this path. The Ukrainians were big in to the T-55AGM with a powerpack from a T-72, appliqué armor, sensors, and a modern gun. Survivability isn’t as good as a modern tank but it’s a cheaper way to get good mobility and firepower.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Kikas posted:

Gentlemen, please, you can't fight here, this is the war thread!

That guy has defended the genocide of Uighurs by china and rape by Chinese state officials

Even the war thread needs some standards not to take seriously the guy who is not against what the Nazis did, but that those atrocities were done by the wrong side

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Estonian collaborators specifically were notorious for escaping justice because of this gentleman:

He was a high ranking collaborator, a natural born Estonian, who oversaw the extermination of every single Jew in Estonia save exactly 12. He then fled to Britain who refused to extradite him to face trial.

hadn't heard about that guy before, looks like that he was secretly in nkvd too

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Somaen posted:

That guy has defended the genocide of Uighurs by china and rape by Chinese state officials

Even the war thread needs some standards not to take seriously the guy who is not against what the Nazis did, but that those atrocities were done by the wrong side

there's a whole forums for that stuff, and since the site's owner doesn't mind it, it's here to stay. but those people could be threadbanned from here or something

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

ChubbyChecker posted:

there's a whole forums for that stuff, and since the site's owner doesn't mind it, it's here to stay. but those people could be threadbanned from here or something

They've also defended Russia's abduction of Ukrainian children.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 1, 2023

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

For people with encyclopaedic knowledge about horrible views of other posters you guys seem to have forgotten that this line of discussion has not been productive for this thread. Please shut up.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

There has been a lot more footage of fighting around Dachi recently (AKA, south of the Dnipro below Kherson), and Telegram rumors have it that Ukraine has increased the number of troops in the area to 300, so its looking more and more like that is going to be a serious line of assault.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
Have any of the telegram channels added substance to Prigozhn’s claims about 1000 Russian troop casualties a day in the counter offensive? I know he’s a liar and all that but curious if there was anything corroborating the claim.

Sure huge land gains haven’t been showing up in official news but if there’s evidence that invaders are being made into casualties, it may be coming. Humans aren’t infinite.

At the end of the story about the boy who cried wolf, eventually, the wolf did come.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

MegaZeroX posted:

There has been a lot more footage of fighting around Dachi recently (AKA, south of the Dnipro below Kherson), and Telegram rumors have it that Ukraine has increased the number of troops in the area to 300, so its looking more and more like that is going to be a serious line of assault.

The Russians seem to have put a disproportionate amount of effort into getting rid of them up to and including sending one of the Iskander missiles to blow up part of the bridge. Still seems like nothing more than keeping the Russians honest though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There's really some desperation to recent attempts to downplay the counteroffensive I think. Ukraine must surrender NOW before the effects of losing Wagner/ Surovikin/ Gerasimov/ any other officers who were purged after the attempted coup really start to be felt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

MikeC posted:

The Russians seem to have put a disproportionate amount of effort into getting rid of them up to and including sending one of the Iskander missiles to blow up part of the bridge. Still seems like nothing more than keeping the Russians honest though.

So, about as threatening as a pizzeria?