Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Milo and POTUS posted:

id rather speak korean at least they have good food

Korea is european, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

kazil posted:

Korea is european, right?

Lol, just like the Romans couldn't take Scotland.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Milo and POTUS posted:

id rather speak korean at least they have good food
Do you want to start a hyperwar? Because that's how you start a hyperwar.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

FFT posted:

Do you want to start a hyperwar? Because that's how you start a hyperwar.

I chose my side, fft. If you're not with us, you're with the finns

dr_rat posted:

Lol, just like the Romans couldn't take Scotland.

Both didn't want it

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Gamer gear is getting out of hand

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

I always knew

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Well cut off a testicle and call me Vincent van Ghoatse.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
if art is anal does that mean anal is art?

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
It's a drat sight better than being shart.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Nah, other things are anal too

Like bacchanals

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

FFT posted:

Nah, other things are anal too

Like bacchanals

You, you leave my man Bach out of this!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

That was kind of the idea behind calm.jpg

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Booty is truth, truth booty.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I believe tushy.com is devoted to art and anal.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

please stop calling me a poo poo artist. the term is Anal Artist

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I usually just do loss.jpg

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Like the boy in the bubble or the baby with the baboon heart

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

dialhforhero posted:

What?

As far as European languages go, Russian is the most widely spoken language natively, with German being in a far second.

I know its already been throughly covered, but what? right back at this frankly bafflingly wrong post

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
:toot:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

I know its already been throughly covered, but what? right back at this frankly bafflingly wrong post

Dunno enough about European languages, but 5 seconds of looking on wikipedia says it's true :confused:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

kazil posted:

Dunno enough about European languages, but 5 seconds of looking on wikipedia says it's true :confused:

Spanish? English?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Data Graham posted:

Like the boy in the bubble or the baby with the baboon heart

Truly, these are the days of miracle and wonder.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Butterfly Valley posted:

Spanish? English?

Both North American languages?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

Spanish? English?

OP was talking about native speakers of Europe. Not worldwide.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

kazil posted:

Is there any measure of how many Russians are in Europe specifically?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I believe they mean within Europe

e: welp, beaten

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Tenebrais posted:

Hell if I know, I just saw that the wiki page has Russian with more speakers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_speakers_in_Europe

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Tenebrais posted:

None since Russia is in Asia!

Well I guess a couple of thousands that are currently being slaughtered in Ukraine...

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

kazil posted:

Why though? The conversation was about esperanto's creation as based on widely spoken languages that originated from Europe. Colonialism had already happened and the Americas already existed, it's entirely arbitrary to define European languages as those spoken within the geographical confines of the continent of Europe when discussing the relative merits of what languages to use as the base for a new one.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

lol good

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Butterfly Valley posted:

Why though? The conversation was about esperanto's creation as based on widely spoken languages that originated from Europe. Colonialism had already happened and the Americas already existed, it's entirely arbitrary to define European languages as those spoken within the geographical confines of the continent of Europe when discussing the relative merits of what languages to use as the base for a new one.

It was because it was mentioned that Dutch and Portuguese should have a bigger influence. Since Esperanto is Eurocentric, it would have made more sense to have it be more Russian influenced. I am talking about EUROPEAN LANGUAGES ONLY.

I absolutely know that Chinese and Spanish covers a vast majority of the world's population for native speakers.

Esperanto dumb.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Butterfly Valley posted:

it's entirely arbitrary to define European languages as those spoken within the geographical confines of the continent of Europe when discussing the relative merits of what languages to use as the base for a new one.

:magemage:

Just because it isn't spoken entirely within the confines of Europe doesn't mean it isn't a European language anymore...

Like, Chinese is always going to be an Asian language. Speak it in America or Nigeria, idgaf but it's still an Asian language.

This is entirely the problem with Esperanto. It doesn't take languages outside of European languages in its design, and even then it doesn’t have a resemblance of proportional influence based on number of speakers from its influences. Nor, for that matter, is it neutral in its design as it was intending to be.

dialhforhero has a new favorite as of 15:12 on Jul 1, 2023

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Sounds like its design is pretty espooranto

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

If only Esperanto had been a blend of every one of the world’s languages, proportionally represented, we could all speak it

There’s no justice

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Each language gets one word and one grammatical construct to throw into the big pot

Then we give it a stir, and pop! A tower of babel pops out!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snowy posted:

If only Esperanto had been a blend of every one of the world’s languages, proportionally represented, we could all speak it

There’s no justice

I realize that this is probably The Joke, but if, say, 13% of Esperanto consisted of grammatical features and vocabulary from my native language based on there being x number of idiots speaking my language... that still leaves 87% of a mish of mash of stuff I don't know poo poo about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

This is entirely the problem with Esperanto. It doesn't take languages outside of European languages in its design, and even then it doesn’t have a resemblance of proportional influence based on number of speakers from its influences. Nor, for that matter, is it neutral in its design as it was intending to be.

I mean yes I'm not disagreeing that it's obviously a problem for a language trying to become a global second tongue to be predominantly derived from only European languages.

But I'm still totally confused by whatever you're trying to say about native speakers of Russian because globally Spanish, English, Portuguese and possibly French all have more native speakers, which is surely relevant when discussing which European languages it made most sense to draw from. If your point is there's more native speakers of Russian in geographical Europe then yes obviously but how is that relevant?

Butterfly Valley has a new favorite as of 15:24 on Jul 1, 2023