Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

cat botherer posted:

IDK about turbines specifically, but higher-end, precision Chinese manufacturing has the best quality control on the planet at this point.

that's impossible, they just copy everyone

(sent from my beautiful designed in cupertino apple iphone)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

i honestly believe that most people assume that the exponential increases seen in consumer electronics and computing power are not a quirk of that area but sort of an innate way that technology works when we want it to

they think that when push comes to shove, we'll get doubling of every renewable energy source every year, carbon capture will become viable, cheap electric cars, etc

the idea that there are physical constraints on how any given technology area can perform is not widely held. if computers can go from being the size of a car to the size of a tic tac in my life, we'll be able to engineer our way out of any problem once things get bad

also if there isnt a solution the really bad times wont happen for fifty years anyway so nbd

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

celadon posted:

i honestly believe that most people assume that the exponential increases seen in consumer electronics and computing power are not a quirk of that area but sort of an innate way that technology works when we want it to

they think that when push comes to shove, we'll get doubling of every renewable energy source every year, carbon capture will become viable, cheap electric cars, etc

the idea that there are physical constraints on how any given technology area can perform is not widely held. if computers can go from being the size of a car to the size of a tic tac in my life, we'll be able to engineer our way out of any problem once things get bad

also if there isnt a solution the really bad times wont happen for fifty years anyway so nbd

so ten years from now got it

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

gotta buy organic, avoid those pesticides

oh, they cover everything in plastic to keep bugs out then plow the plastic into the soil used for the next batch of crops? then the PFOS and poo poo becomes part of the 'organic' crops?

poo poo

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Tomorrow

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Lmao we will have a solid 20 year window where the poor and the global south will be told by the west to just die quietly, even when we will have internal displacements that will eventually either fracture federalism or empower an authoritarianism we won't be able to shake off for decades more?

God wills it, or some other reactionary slogan copped from a video game.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

celadon posted:

oh yeah, that is 1000% what most people believe, and it's the line that most "tech" people will sell and that most politicians will back

People really view all of history as a kind of narrative with intentional plot development. You can see it in the way that a lot of people talk about evolution as something that's progressing towards an endpoint instead of an essentially random process that routinely dead-ends.

There's definitely a very common belief that human progress is like a 4X tech tree, with each new step solving some problem and that the world, somehow, always presents us with problems that we can address via the next step on the tree. No one wants to accept that our technological progress hasn't really solved anything and that there's no real precedent for the human race facing a global existential crisis and overcoming it. We mostly just blindly feel around and do things that feel good, and it ends up looking vaguely like progress.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Paradoxish posted:

oh yeah, that is 1000% what most people believe, and it's the line that most "tech" people will sell and that most politicians will back

People really view all of history as a kind of narrative with intentional plot development. You can see it in the way that a lot of people talk about evolution as something that's progressing towards an endpoint instead of an essentially random process that routinely dead-ends.

There's definitely a very common belief that human progress is like a 4X tech tree, with each new step solving some problem and that the world, somehow, always presents us with problems that we can address via the next step on the tree. No one wants to accept that our technological progress hasn't really solved anything and that there's no real precedent for the human race facing a global existential crisis and overcoming it. We mostly just blindly feel around and do things that feel good, and it ends up looking vaguely like progress.

this mfer hasn't heard of electric cars :rolleyes:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

it's smoky out today

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

A Bad King posted:

Lmao we will have a solid 20 year window where the poor and the global south will be told by the west to just die quietly, even when we will have internal displacements that will eventually either fracture federalism or empower an authoritarianism we won't be able to shake off for decades more?

God wills it, or some other reactionary slogan copped from a video game.

https://twitter.com/cobbo3/status/1674766543182241795?s=20

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I tried to fix my portable air conditioner but they were literally not designed to be repairable so I guess you are supposed to throw it in a dumpster and buy a new one every year

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I like my lungs like I like my salmon

Smoked

And full of plastic

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I tried to fix my portable air conditioner but they were literally not designed to be repairable so I guess you are supposed to throw it in a dumpster and buy a new one every year

That's why it's portable! So you can take it to the dump

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Depends on the model and what's wrong with it, but I've fixed these things before so it's doable. If you were trying to get like an HVAC contractor or something to do it then yeah, they're probably going to tell you that you're SOL because most of them won't bother getting out of bed for small repairs anyway.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

Depends on the model and what's wrong with it, but I've fixed these things before so it's doable. If you were trying to get like an HVAC contractor or something to do it then yeah, they're probably going to tell you that you're SOL because most of them won't bother getting out of bed for small repairs anyway.

The thing where we can't reduce and reuse because you can't make a living darning socks when a machine can make a new pair faster until the lights go out. Lol. Lmao.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

celadon posted:

People literally equate die shrinking in lithography for computer chips with the macroscale stuff that no modern tech has made orders of magnitude easier or more efficient. I hear this from my engineer dad where he'll point at my (not his, he refuses to have one) smartphone as a "see that? Don't tell me there's no way" thought terminating point to argue we can, y'know, just skirt around thermodynamics. But then he did also propose a giant straw going to space to deal with sea level rise, so...

Paradoxish posted:

They're also inefficient as gently caress. I have one, but I modified it to work outside by taping the ducting tube to the cold air outlet and pushing that air in through the window while the unit is outside along with all the hot air it ejects and the heat exchanger itself. It's one of those self-evaporating units too, so unless outside is literally on fire (lol) it should be able to cool itself. The advantage is that this makes it more effective in cooling because it's pumping only cold, dry air in and so keeping my tiny house at positive pressure, as opposed to the normal route of dragging hot air in as it sucks causes a pressure imbalance. Unless you have a dual hose one, not that you have, because they seem to be like hen teeth in rarity and much more expensive.

I, uh, also bought an umbrella to tape to it should it rain because I hear water and nominally indoor electricals don't mix.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw has issued a correction as of 17:06 on Jul 1, 2023

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Fried Watermelon posted:

it's smoky out today

The forms of weather the last while have been bone dry hot, muggy hot, pouring rain, like 1 normal day.

Unless it's pouring rain it instead is smoke.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

:drat: rofl lmao hit the turbo button, the simulation is going too fast

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

it's been a rough day for rime

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Paradoxish posted:

gently caress no they don't, my dad was paying like 100 bucks a month for some service were they'll come out if the furnace breaks.

Well because he refuses to listen to their explanations about how the thing works & thinks he can turn it way down at night and way up in the morning it sometimes overheats in winter and cuts off. He figured out a way to force it to turn back on and it tripped the emergency off: the one where it won't turn on until the internal temp drops below 40°f. Because it thinks it's on fire.

He called multiple times and they didn't come out so then he called around until some dude came the next day, charged him $300 for like 20 minutes, and told him to cut that poo poo out.

He keeps doing it and was livid nobody came out at 11pm to instantly fix his poo poo.

Aren't natural gas prices artificially suppressed? Lol when it's like 10x the cost so he tries to game it even harder and actually burns the loving house down.

He does the same poo poo with air conditioning except in reverse. Luckily it's just an insane waste and probably won't blow the house up.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Bob Ross Nuke Test posted:

Trying to think of another group which is very obsessed with warped accusations of pedophilia against people they don't like, in the current moment we're living in.

Ah well, probably not a warning sign about the state of the forums. Anyways:

https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1674736887322533888

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

lol

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Microplastics posted:

That's why it's portable! So you can take it to the dump
woah, never thought of it that way

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

SKULL.GIF posted:

simply eat vegetarian to avoid the poisons in everything

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1674878695184400385

There's forever chemicals in the rain now, it doesn't matter what I do

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Lacrosse posted:

My next door neighbors are very nice "in this house we believe" people growing their own kale along the wooden fence I'll be eventually required to upkeep with even more horrible chemicals.

I wonder if I should send them this. Print the article and put it in their mailbox

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Tony Tone posted:

In a way I can kind of understand the process of having your brain terminally broken after years of working in a field, that for the longest time has been propped up to be one of the cornerstone sectors of preserving the climate - being grossly mismanaged, undermined and borderline sabotaged by your usual run of the mill capitalism and then also by Chinese-type capitalism exerting itself beyond its own borders. I can get the built-up resentment. Dunno about the anime poo poo because I have never watched it (not even the "good" ones) but it's probably connected to having your entire view of the world turned upside down by reality breaking your brain and completely loving up your perception of whats morale, good optics, or whatever.

Its really the only type of doom n gloom that the usual posters of SAD or whatever just dont get because they are mostly adult Americans who have big stakes in the hellworld they helped create. The "normal" ones, with kids, careers, gardens, good credit lines and also Good Opinions. It's why they repeatedly misconstrue his genocide posts because deep down they really do hope it will be America who will face the climate consequences last, and all their treats will continue to be paid for in blood by poor people abroad. Whether that price is nukes or death by a thousand climate cuts over the span of a decade, it doesn't really matter. It's all taboo for them to say out loud, so when they see someone actually say it that hits a certain nerve.

My take is that we should embrace the meltdowns and anime villians and broke brained windmill engineers and let them all post, because as more people have their brains broken by everything it is good to have a place to see the full spectrum of the human brain wrestling with what it sowed

lol so this guy being a pedo racist is ok because you like his posts
christ what a saddo

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Doc avalanche! Rime's dead!

Dead serious about going to ecofascist land

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

quote:

The event was organised by the Coalition of Nationalists, an umbrella group formed in 2017 for those on the far-right including the Finns Party, the now-banned Nordic Resistance Movement militia, and the Soldiers of Odin vigilante movement.

He also apologised for joking about the number 88, which was randomly assigned by the Finnish Election Commission as his candidate number in the 2019 parliamentary elections.

:stonk:

Lacrosse posted:

there's microplastics in meconium

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

cat botherer posted:

IDK about turbines specifically, but higher-end, precision Chinese manufacturing has the best quality control on the planet at this point.

I'm curious about your experience with that, because I've spent time in Chinese aircraft factories and seen some real :stare: poo poo compared to other places.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Doktor Avalanche posted:

lol so this guy being a pedo racist is ok because you like his posts
christ what a saddo

it fits with the (bad) philosophy of "as long as climate change is happening, nothing i can do is bad and morality is meaningless"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Still not going to watch that anime but it's incredibly obvious that it's just a rhetorical cudgel and a completely unnecessary one

He was right about that

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
How likely is plastic to form a geologically-detectable layer? I know there were some cases where it's agglomerating sand into a new kind of mineral, but I wonder if it'll be able to be noticed like the dinosaur asteroid.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's already happened and you described how it happened that stuff's not going away that's the stuff you're asking for

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
No I mean will it be obviously noticeable to future geologists who may not have plastic technology?

Just because there are some areas like Hawaii & dead sea turtle island where it's clumping into deposits, I don't think it's guaranteed to form a super notable layer that anyone might pick up on.

Iirc the thinner the layer the faster it was deposited, but this poo poo is already forming boulders and whatever, so I wonder what the interpretation may end up being

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
flat earth is mostly dead as a fringe theory, i'm going to replace it with one that says fossil fuel products are the geologically processed plastic waste from earlier cycles of human civilization

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

SniperWoreConverse posted:

No I mean will it be obviously noticeable to future geologists who may not have plastic technology?

Just because there are some areas like Hawaii & dead sea turtle island where it's clumping into deposits, I don't think it's guaranteed to form a super notable layer that anyone might pick up on.

Iirc the thinner the layer the faster it was deposited, but this poo poo is already forming boulders and whatever, so I wonder what the interpretation may end up being

i mean this sincerely, are we sure there are going to be "future geologists"?

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

SniperWoreConverse posted:

in the same way that we were able to link an abnormal level of iridium in a layer of rock to the dinosaur killing meteor, so too shall the crow-people of 50 million years from now find our microplastic layer and realize with shuddering horror what must have happened

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Zodium posted:

lmfao that people were doggedly defending this guy

I don't know I think you loving suck but your still here

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

We have 5, 5 years, 5 years, do we have 3, 3, 3 years...

RC Cola posted:

Tomorrow

SOLD!

Can I go back and change my poll answers? Feeling a bit more doomer the last couple of days for some reason.

Good news while outside touching grass is that the wild salmonberry crop is phenomenal this summer. Bad news is that so is the stinkbug population. So many berries getting walked on. :barf:

Microplastics posted:

I like my lungs like I like my salmon

Smoked

And full of plastic

Listening to an interview with someone writing about the 2016 Fort Macmurray fire. Sounds like it broke a lot of firefighter's brains. The modern house has a lot of plastic in its construction, never mind the contents. A wildfire like the one that hit Fort Mac has a wall of heat pushed in front of it that's around 500oF/260oC. This vapourizes vinyl siding, window frames, housewrap, asphalt shingles, and whatnot into a petrochemical cloud that ignites explosively when the flame front hits it. The structure goes from house to charred hole in the ground in 5 minutes. It took the firefighters 20 minutes to set up so they started counting houses and set up at every 5th house so they had it soaked down and ready when the flame front arrived.

What wonders we have wrought.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

cash crab posted:

i mean this sincerely, are we sure there are going to be "future geologists"?

The bird people or maybe humans or maybe ufo who knows

celadon posted:

in the same way that we were able to link an abnormal level of iridium in a layer of rock to the dinosaur killing meteor, so too shall the crow-people of 50 million years from now find our microplastic layer and realize with shuddering horror what must have happened

Yeah but will they be able to actually realize this weird mineral is synthetic, or will they notice holy poo poo the entire planet changed radically right when these big brain mutants appeared and all the fossils changed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU

It can be a pain to find parts or do soldering. What's the issue?

Some places can fix them up but they sometimes charge as much as a new one.